Hearts and Minds (spoilers) - advice?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

The fights are not hard.
The darn bugs are a pain!
Rift spawning in mid-air and cannot get to it.
Updrafts not…updrafting.
Cannot get in the air.
Shield not shielding.
Someone back at Anet is making fun of paying customers.

Posted by: Maxite.6102

Maxite.6102

All the buggy bits aside – Sticking players in the penalty box for the duration of the fight is a really, really counterproductive idea in a MMO. How is this a good idea? Especially with a confusing, buggy set-piece attack like with the gliding bit.

Spoiled both the fun and the whole moment.

(edited by Maxite.6102)

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

Get a party. I completed it all myself, other than that final mission. It has too many bugs, and the smallets things can kill you….. I, for example, fell down a small hole and got stuck behind an invisible wall. When I grouped up, 2 died due to mushroom failure.

(edited by Atharian.7092)

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

I’ve done it 3 times now.

First time on a condition mesmer it just took time because it was my first time through. There was no way anything was going to kill me and I got hit by a lot of stuff. The air phases worked mostly.

The second time was on my elementalist who has celestial gear for some reasons and I have no idea about her spec, but it seemed to work. This was actually the toughest run because it bugged in several places. First was the air phases just didn’t work and I died there. Then I had to restart the entire fight because I died and it bugged because the platform didn’t reset so the rift was in mid air and I couldn’t reach it. After dying again it worked properly.

Finally, last night on my Sylvari thief with beserker gear and a straight dps build. Aside from Mordremoth causing confusion damage to my character when I hit him which I’m sure didn’t happen to the other two characters, this was the smoothest run. Everything died very quickly and I had no problems with the air phases. The final phase over extremely quickly as my thief just slaughtered the adds in seconds. The only bug I noticed was one of the updrafts spawned above the surface of the ground and it wasn’t working so that cost me the achievement, but I jumped across to the next updraft and that worked so I didn’t die.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

All the buggy bits aside – Sticking players in the penalty box for the duration of the fight is a really, really counterproductive idea in a MMO. How is this a good idea? Especially with a confusing, buggy set-piece attack like with the gliding bit.

Spoiled both the fun and the whole moment.

This is pretty much how I reacted to it. My first post here was made during the fight, when I was extremely disappointed and kittened at it.

The fight, atmosphere, and everything else seemed pretty good, but when my character (being instance host) shouted “Get shielded or airborne!” I dove under Braham who had a bubble up (Maybe he was doing generic guardian shield ability, maybe he was supposed to actually shield you). I died, then spent the rest of the fight spectating from the side, hearing my character shout orders/comments, doing absolutely nothing until Mordremoth went down, which took a good while.

Afterwards, for a bit of my gameplay for that night before I called it a day, I was just incredibly “meh” toward everything. And if they simply didn’t have that penalty box, or as I said earlier, made it so “opening a rift returns players to the fight”, it would’ve been better and I would’ve had fun with it. I wager replaying it on different races (I would like to do HoT on each race, since each race seems to have different dialogue/reactions to stuff) will have that epicness again. I hope.

I think they should’ve included some sort of “post mission” instance like after Victory or Death, where we meet up with the rest of the Pact.

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

Yeah super fun fight if not…
…horrendous bugs and some cheap no-choice-dead kittens pretty much ruin the fun of it.

Concept and mechanics of the fight: super cool.
Implementation: total failure on QA for the various default-loose bugs that might even make the instance unusable and require total reset.
Also the cheap no-choice-you’re-out-of-luck-and-dead-now pieces actually don’t fit the bill of “difficult” or “fun” they just fit in the category “oh hey let’s troll customers”

tldr: will be a super cool encounter if implementation gets “iterated” to be fun instead of annoying

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

Gave up on my 4th character, the updrafts just were not working and the shield never works so it was impossible for me to get past the fight. Possibly because this was a Norn character and taller than the others? Either way after about and hour and a half of trying I gave it up. Waste of time.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

Posted by: Dovienya.6597

Dovienya.6597

Has anyone else had rifts spawn off the edge in mid-air? I couldn’t get past that because they were unreachable.

Yes.

This happened to me, where the ground kept disappearing around the rifts with no way to get to them. I had to repeat this entire story about 25 times. I bug reported/screen shot it.)

THEN. I have some vision problems but I learn how to get by in this game. Then there’s the updrafts that don’t look like updrafts, which you have only a couple of seconds to get to, and can’t get to from everywhere on the map. Also, everywhere else in HoT, you jump to deploy your glider, but here jumping makes the glider bug out.

(Addressing a lot of peoples’ questions:)

So if you’re having trouble with the updrafts, don’t jump. Just walk into them. Stop gliding for a moment or use your mouse to bank to avoid rocks.

Gave up on my 4th character, the updrafts just were not working and the shield never works so it was impossible for me to get past the fight. Possibly because this was a Norn character and taller than the others? Either way after about and hour and a half of trying I gave it up. Waste of time.

Lascia, I played mine on Asura, so no I don’t think so.

I had problems with a number of bugs, including that one, but walking into the updrafts instead of jumping makes it happen less often.

(edited by Dovienya.6597)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

My biggest problem is not just the difficulty or the finicky nature of the requirements but that if you fail you repeat the whole quest again from the beginning. Its ludicrous, how can there not be a save point just before the final fight?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

I died quite a few times on this, (mostly in the glider section), and the changes on each retry just made it weirder and weirder. Braham stopped bubbling the rifts after the first attempt or two. The blighted fights got skipped shortly after that. Attack patterns got out of whack. And then suddenly he had a breakbar from the start of the fight. Oy.

Plus…why the heck is Mordremoth’s mental version of himself in the Dream (of which he is lord and master) a tiny humanoid whose fighting style is best described as “magical temper tantrum?” He’s like a little kid with poor self esteem who…oh gosh, I get it now…he woke up too early from a nap!

I should be writing.

morrolan.9608

Just about had enough, this is beyond ridiculous, bad enough about the bugs and the fine timing needed which is much harder for those of us with high ping but if we leave to repair the whole quest starts again and even if we die in final fight and come back we have to start the whole kittening thing over again even if we have him at 10% AND THE FIGHT BUGS OUT as I just did, kitten that, not doing it again until they make it more reasonable.

What happened to the way they did story quests in LS2, each quest had multiple stoppage points which you could resume from, in the fights you came back at the point at which you died. Heck they’ve even seemingly made companion AI much worse with them much more disinclined to rez.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

What happened to the way they did story quests in LS2, each quest had multiple stoppage points which you could resume from, in the fights you came back at the point at which you died.

The lack of save points is probably due to this being the final stage. It’s intended as a gauntlet. When the bugs are gone, it should be more tolerable.

And hey, at least it’s better than the Zhaitan “fight.”

I should be writing.

morrolan.9608

What happened to the way they did story quests in LS2, each quest had multiple stoppage points which you could resume from, in the fights you came back at the point at which you died.

The lack of save points is probably due to this being the final stage. It’s intended as a gauntlet. When the bugs are gone, it should be more tolerable.

There are multiple natural stoppage points that could act as ‘save’ points. When you find trahearne, and after each of the companion fights.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

There are multiple natural stoppage points that could act as ‘save’ points. When you find trahearne, and after each of the companion fights.

I have to wonder if the story designers primarily have experience in single-player. Cause in single-player, the checkpoints within a mission would be fine, as you can usually save liberally during a mission in single-player games and even when you can’t, the only thing that can potentially lose you progress is if your game crashes.

But in an online game, there is also connectivity to consider. The game requires a persistent connection, which not only means solid internet, but also no patches coming in and forcing you to restart.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Solek.3267

Solek.3267

Apart from the floating rifts (which only happened to me after a wipe, when I just went back inside instead of waiting for a bit before retrying), I’ve never had any problem. I did it on 3 different characters, multiple times, and did all of the Story Achievements. What are the bugs people are talking about ?

I always read about bugged updrafts, but all you have to do is either jump and glide (which might not work because you might not jump high enough) or press “F” when on the updrafts (you have a prompt for it).

The “penalty room” is probably because of the Hardmode. Think of it like a dungeon/raid from any other game. When someone dies, you can’t get them up and must go on without them. Being able to just bumrush rez other players would make it trivial. This is supposed to be THE fight, you should be able to fail.

Posted by: ninja sloth.2658

ninja sloth.2658

4 attempts at beating this kitten mission.
1. Blighted Pale Tree disappears once I defeated her. Rift did not spawn.
2. Rift did not drag Blighted Pale Tree to it. It activated repeatedly, but did nothing.
3. Didn’t choose Caithe this time. Beat Canach and Eir without issue, but after beating Rytlock, the Rift did not work.
4. Same as #3. Rytlock just disappeared, Mordremoth remained invulnerable.

I give up.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Best advice at this point is don’t bother until Anet get around to fixing it.

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

Yeah I’m really disappointed with this fight.
It should be something epic, it’s actually turned out to just be frustrating.

very frustrating !!
Doubt I will back soon there to finish this kitten

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

found this to be easy with friends…. at least, if you died, your party member can finish it for you….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: RouterGeeks.6320

RouterGeeks.6320

I too ran into the “updraft not updrafting” issue and got to spend 30 minutes watching my other party member fight until he got disconnected. This is one of the few times I’ve wanted to smack the dev who came up with the bright idea of sticking you in a penalty box for the duration. I can see a “time out” of a minute or two but for the duration? Really?!?

Given the bugginess of this section of the story this needs to be re-worked and soon.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Near the end of the fight, during the phase when our characters opens the rifts for Canach, Mordremoth bugs out and becomes immune to damage even if the rift is opened.

What am I supposed to do when this happens?

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

Best advice at this point is don’t bother until Anet get around to fixing it.

Would love to see this happen very very soon. I’m disappointed and rather angry that I’ve bought a product with content I can’t complete due to things that are completely out of my control.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: VanEinstein.5019

VanEinstein.5019

I’m of the same mind to wait. I’ve only gotten the glider to deploy twice in a few hours of trying. Just walking into the air updraft is enough to launch me a couple of times, but after that pressing space fails to deploy the glider, and the updrafts just cease to function after another attempt. Moments later I’m dead and full or rage, as of course at this point I’ve tried so many times that my character is starting to look like they’ve just been through a round of strip poker. Come on ArenaNet, get your crap together. ><

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

After over an hour of fighting, dying and trying, I got to the mordrem fight… and then was unable to jump off the platform and glide. Reset, rinse and repeat.

I hate the entire mission. The enemies have way too many hitpoints, the entire encounter is buggy, and it’s all WAY too unforgiving. I can’t even bring myself to try anymore.

morrolan.9608

So…………. still no fix to it. Anet you need to look at your priorities.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Posted by: Valiant.5078

Valiant.5078

I managed to do it on my second attempt. First attempt I had no idea that mechanic was there where the floor starts hurting you. After that first wipe, the second attempt didn’t seem to be all too difficult. I did that with a hammer guardian in zerk, traited defensively with defensive utilities.

Some tips I found running it with some friends who really needed help.

Canach fight. That shield thing is annoying. It’s actually easier/faster if you trait some CC in your utilities to break its bar. I literally just face tanked Blighted Canach and would burn down its CC bar whenever I see it. Doing it this way made that fight really easy.

Eir fight. Burn down the wolf, using a ranged weapon and constantly moving helps a lot in getting away from the arrows. Once the wolf is down, run to its corpse, and once Eir’s breakbar appears, burn it. You end up doing a huge amount of damage and you can probably get it down after 2 or 3 burns like that.

As for the pale tree fight, I avoid it on my characters, since that fight just isn’t as simple/easy as the other two. The times I attempted it, it had bugged up. I would suggest Canach + Braham until I hear it being fixed.

Final boss fight. My advice is to run into the updrafts, they just push you up. At that point, just hold spacebar to get the wings. If you have stealth gliding, spam it as often as you can.

If all else fails, get some friend(s) to join you. And even if you fail, if they’re good enough, they’ll continue. You still get to have the finishing blow on him at the very end.

(edited by Valiant.5078)

Posted by: Jephiroth.3197

Jephiroth.3197

Since my last post, I’ve now completed the story on 4 characters. My most recent attempt was on a DragonHunter traited for Radiance/Virtues/DH. Lots of Aegis and bonus damage to burning with Traited Courage Virtue for more stability for opening rifts.

I completed it without a single bug and on my first attempt. I don’t know if it was just a lucky run, or if some of the bugs have been fixed, but it was very pleasant and fun.

My best tips:

Ranged Damage/Weapons
traited control effects on attack/utilities
Cooldown reductions
damage mitigation

Pick Canach and Braham

break bars whenever you can and utilize the built in mechanics.

Kite the Blighted away from Mordy and knock them down to 25% to daze them, then run to the rift, pop stability, and open it.

During the updraft phase, run into the updrafts and wait until you peak and start falling down to open your glider. This will open your glider and launch you further up where you can glide around. Try to stay behind him and pick an updraft that is across the arena, that way you aren’t at the peak of flight all the time. One whack can cause critical fall damage from that high up. Try to stay low for the most part, but not low enough to hit the ground.

Traumahawk: WvW Shout/Seed Sinister Druid
Ashen Mistwalker: WvW Tank/Crit Revenant
Oaken Earthlore: WvW Medi/Bunker Guardian

Posted by: Lolyta.4582

Lolyta.4582

This was just absurdly hard for me, well beyond “challenging” and not fun at all. Tried it on Herald (Exotic Zerker Shiro/ Glint) and Ranger (Ascended Zerker LB/S+A Marksman). Can’t even get past Eir and Gorm or Garp or Grup or Gurgle or wtf-ever his face is. Just stupid hard.

So, I just won’t do it. There is no reward in the game worth this level of aggravation.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

This was just absurdly hard for me, well beyond “challenging” and not fun at all. Tried it on Herald (Exotic Zerker Shiro/ Glint) and Ranger (Ascended Zerker LB/S+A Marksman). Can’t even get past Eir and Gorm or Garp or Grup or Gurgle or wtf-ever his face is. Just stupid hard.

So, I just won’t do it. There is no reward in the game worth this level of aggravation.

Are you using CC? Cause that bit should not be causing you trouble.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

My view too, there is no fun in this, failed 5 times, every time in the flying phase somehow running out of updrafts or some other reason.

At least the Living Story allowed you to carry on from where you died so eventually the bosses died, forcing this to restart at the very beginning is simply two fingers from the devs to any but the hardcore.

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

still no fix for the updraft issue

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

My problem is the stupid glider, sometimes I can’t even leave the floor there is no way to use the glider… and there is no way to survive.

I just beat it today. You can press “F” next to the updrafts to leap in the air. Once you are in the air then you can glide.

They can also trigger by running into them.

EDIT:

Also damage doesn’t matter until you convert all the blighted. Fight them first then open the rifts. You are fighting Mordremoth’s mind not his body. Nothing in there is real, you are trying to drive him insane and then destroy his consciousness.

I solo’d it with a Pvt Reaper.

(edited by Marthkus.4615)

Posted by: Tolakram.5809

Tolakram.5809

I beat this solo w/ a standard necro using a Triple Trouble condi build. My armor and weps are all exotic/rare and most of them are dire statset. By the sound of it I got lucky with bugs, but I didn’t die once in the final fight. I only went down during one of his last flying stages, and then rallied on the adds. The only reason I did this so easily was probably because I was using a blood fiend, so I was constantly regening. Other than that this fight was pretty easy, just long. Again, I might have gotten lucky w/ bugs and not dying.

Also, for the person who said their glider didn’t deploy on wind columns, did you press space? It sounds like you’re waiting for an automatic deploy, just do it manually. Unless you were saying it caught you off guard first time it bugged. Then I understand your problem.

Posted by: Daewind.1072

Daewind.1072

Had to do this quest 5 times because of bugs. Finally got it. The air columns are a bit scary the first time, but afterwards it is ok (the sixth time they become easy unless you get hit by a rock ;-) ). Anet really needs to iron the bugs out of this quest.

Posted by: grilojr.7365

grilojr.7365

The glider problem still there, and still annoying as hell.

Posted by: Mukk.3976

Mukk.3976

Six months later, every issue listed in this thread (design, implementation and testing issues) still occurs. It’s bad when you sell crap to your customers, its quite another to leave it that way.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This is why I’m not going to do the HoT story on ANY of my alts. It was painful and disappointing the first time. Not going to do it again.

Posted by: Trueshots.9456

Trueshots.9456

Just an update, tried this for 3 hours today before I boiled a pot of water and dipped my kitten into it, just to ease the pain and frustration of this. There were zero updrafts to get me off the ground, ZERO!!!!! WTF!!!

~Poison Caltrop~
I apologize, If you didn’t outnumber me, it wasn’t a fair fight

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Just an update, tried this for 3 hours today before I boiled a pot of water and dipped my kitten into it, just to ease the pain and frustration of this. There were zero updrafts to get me off the ground, ZERO!!!!! WTF!!!

Counter update, I did this three-and-a-half times this past week (once solo, once with another player, successful Migraine with five players, and an unfinished solo attempt for aerial dodging achievement,) and the updrafts were always there. I died once because I didn’t get to one in time, but that was totally on me.

It’s still super confusing that you have to run into the updrafts instead of jumping/gliding, but they were there for me. Individual experiences/bugs may vary, but it’s not a consistent problem. It’s been waaay less buggy than when I did it right after launch. We had no problems with updrafts not appearing, with rifts appearing in inaccessible places, bosses getting stuck, etc.

(Also, general update, the aerial dodging achievement now resets when you die on Mordremoth, so you can wipe to try it again without having to redo the entire instance.)

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

(edited by Redenaz.8631)

Posted by: ArthurvonLindenfels.4638

ArthurvonLindenfels.4638

Dear people from Arena – Net,

I would like to registry a complaint.

After trying the “hearts and minds” mission for the fourth or fifth time, without managing to successfully finish it, I feel a little bit frustrated, to say the least.

Although I have been playing GW2 since release, I am not a player with much so called “skill”, as I am already a little bit older. Nevertheless I enjoyed playing GW2 over the years and love the game in general. For this reason I even like to spend some Euros in the Gem- Shop, from time to time, to support you people.

Now this mission (in the present state) is annoying me to a point where it keeps me from logging in to GW2 at all.
After managing to kill Rytlock, Marjory, Caithe and Forgal I was not able to catch the next flight, so to speak, and therefore got a nice electroshock from Mordremoth.

This meant I had to start all over again, as Mr. Rytlock and all the other guys got magically resurrected (okay it is a fantasy game), waiting to be killed again.

This, imho, is the main problem of the design of this mission. I understand that you wanted to make this last mission a challenge. But to me it doesn´t feel like a challenge. It feels like a treadmill. Killing all those evil Illusions for some more times (quite time consuming actually) is not my idea of fun. And I really would like to finish the living story.

So please allow me to make the following suggestions:

1. Remove the “Start – Over” mechanic, i. e. if the player dies, let him or her continue at that (time-)point in the mission.

2. For those players who are able to finish the mission without dying create a new title,
for instance “Undying Dragonslayer”, so people with skill get a nice reward as well.

If this changes should not be possible, at least consider renaming the mission from “Hearts and Minds” to “Frustrations and Treadmills” (sorry for the sarcasm).

This mission, in the present state, is imho dead. And no, it is not resting. It is stiff, bereft of life and joined the choir invisible. This is a late mission.

A sincere consideration of the suggested changes in mission – design would be very much appreciated. Finally (this time without sarcasm or irony) I would like to thank you for creating this great game.

Best wishes
Arthur

Posted by: Mr Quinn.9815

Mr Quinn.9815

Dear people from Arena – Net,

I would like to registry a complaint.

After trying the “hearts and minds” mission for the fourth or fifth time, without managing to successfully finish it, I feel a little bit frustrated, to say the least.

Although I have been playing GW2 since release, I am not a player with much so called “skill”, as I am already a little bit older. Nevertheless I enjoyed playing GW2 over the years and love the game in general. For this reason I even like to spend some Euros in the Gem- Shop, from time to time, to support you people.

Now this mission (in the present state) is annoying me to a point where it keeps me from logging in to GW2 at all.
After managing to kill Rytlock, Marjory, Caithe and Forgal I was not able to catch the next flight, so to speak, and therefore got a nice electroshock from Mordremoth.

This meant I had to start all over again, as Mr. Rytlock and all the other guys got magically resurrected (okay it is a fantasy game), waiting to be killed again.

This, imho, is the main problem of the design of this mission. I understand that you wanted to make this last mission a challenge. But to me it doesn´t feel like a challenge. It feels like a treadmill. Killing all those evil Illusions for some more times (quite time consuming actually) is not my idea of fun. And I really would like to finish the living story.

So please allow me to make the following suggestions:

1. Remove the “Start – Over” mechanic, i. e. if the player dies, let him or her continue at that (time-)point in the mission.

2. For those players who are able to finish the mission without dying create a new title,
for instance “Undying Dragonslayer”, so people with skill get a nice reward as well.

If this changes should not be possible, at least consider renaming the mission from “Hearts and Minds” to “Frustrations and Treadmills” (sorry for the sarcasm).

This mission, in the present state, is imho dead. And no, it is not resting. It is stiff, bereft of life and joined the choir invisible. This is a late mission.

A sincere consideration of the suggested changes in mission – design would be very much appreciated. Finally (this time without sarcasm or irony) I would like to thank you for creating this great game.

Best wishes
Arthur

you took the words right out of my mouth

age does matter … I have Experience, Wisdom & Knowledge … but am lacking in dexterity & patience … thank you for listening, and thank you for an otherwise great game.

this notice was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit