Hearts and Minds strat? (potential spoilers)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I guess this is me asking for strategy tips for the bosses, though I don’t really want to. I logged in and decided I’d finish up the story on my warrior, and then move on to the next part of the story that has come out (or at least, whatever is unlocked for me?).

I really just wanted something to dink around in as a distraction for a bit and then get back to RL work type stuff. Wasn’t looking to get deep into mechanics and builds and numbers and gear that I’m rusty about and don’t have the energy to study.

Instead, it seems that so far, the fight is much as I left it when it came out. The bosses are HP sponges and the fight isn’t built to be done solo. It favors some classes over others. It doesn’t prepare you in any way. And there still isn’t a repair stone in the penalty box, so that if you fail a lot, you can repair, instead of leaving all of your progress on the bosses to repair.

In most other games, I’d be saying, “Well Labjax, you went in on a warrior in a glassy build with berserker gear. What did you expect?” But I never used to have that kind of issue with the story in this game. I guess I forgot how much things changed.

Just kind of disappointed, really. I wanted a distraction and I got frustration. The prospect of learning how to beat the bosses doesn’t even excite me. I know I could do it eventually, but there’s clearly not much to learn. It’s mostly twitch mechanics, going in with the right build/gear/class, and not making too many consecutive mistakes. That’s not fun to me.

Oh and I guess if anyone wants to provide encouraging strategy tips, I chose the ones that make you fight Eir and Pale Tree. I beat Eir after, like, 10 minutes or something of slow as molasses fight. Pale Tree was a bit faster-pace, but overwhelmed me at the end. I remember now that Canach is supposed to be easier than Pale Tree, but that would mean going back and starting the whole thing over. I don’t feel any impetus to go again against the Pale Tree though. The mechanics are apparently just “progressively fling more stuff at you in a tight space until you win or die.” I don’t find it intriguing or interesting in any way. The prospect of doing it again is boring.

Whatever I once liked about this game is clearly not in the Hearts and Minds fight.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Why not just ask someone to come and join you. The fight is far more fun with more people and goes much faster. If you’re on a US server I’ll do it with you.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

You’re having issues as a warrior? Do you have your elite spec fully unlocked?

As a full berzerker, given the durability of the enemies, I’d suggest running something like Greatsword/Rifle, using Strength (Mid, Mid, Top), Defense (Mid, top, mid), and Berzerker (Top, Top, Bottom), with either Healing Signet or Blood Reckoning, Endure Pain (Stunbreak+damage mitigation. You also have this at 50% health for breathing room if things start going pear-shaped), Balanced Stance (Stunbreak+stability, and swiftness for getting the hell out of bad places), Wild Blow (Strong CC), and Headbutt (Strong CC and instant adrenaline).

With a Greatsword, you should charge the boss (GS 5 is a strong gap closer), hit it with Headbutt, Berserk, Arc Divider, Blood Reckoning, Arc Divider, 100 Blades. Use Bladetrail if you have to kite for a short period of time, or switch to rifle if you’re forced back for an extended period (Rifle works better with the healing signet, depriving you of the second arc divider and healing burst from Arc Divider+100 Blades). Whirlwind is not only a powerful attack, but also an evade and repositioning ability. There’s also an adrenal mushroom, though it requires going out of your way. Still, it’s good for resetting your panic buttons before going in for a burst again.

Of course, that’s just the strategy I used, and I love my GS warrior. There are probably other builds that work as well.

Also – Screw the pale tree. Too many mechanics on that fight. Canach’s is MUCH more fun. He just spams CC grenades (Which Eternal Champion and Balanced Stance negate), and is kinda tough in melee.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

You’re having issues as a warrior? Do you have your elite spec fully unlocked?

As a full berzerker, given the durability of the enemies, I’d suggest running something like Greatsword/Rifle, using Strength (Mid, Mid, Top), Defense (Mid, top, mid), and Berzerker (Top, Top, Bottom), with either Healing Signet or Blood Reckoning, Endure Pain (Stunbreak+damage mitigation. You also have this at 50% health for breathing room if things start going pear-shaped), Balanced Stance (Stunbreak+stability, and swiftness for getting the hell out of bad places), Wild Blow (Strong CC), and Headbutt (Strong CC and instant adrenaline).

With a Greatsword, you should charge the boss (GS 5 is a strong gap closer), hit it with Headbutt, Berserk, Arc Divider, Blood Reckoning, Arc Divider, 100 Blades. Use Bladetrail if you have to kite for a short period of time, or switch to rifle if you’re forced back for an extended period (Rifle works better with the healing signet, depriving you of the second arc divider and healing burst from Arc Divider+100 Blades). Whirlwind is not only a powerful attack, but also an evade and repositioning ability. There’s also an adrenal mushroom, though it requires going out of your way. Still, it’s good for resetting your panic buttons before going in for a burst again.

Of course, that’s just the strategy I used, and I love my GS warrior. There are probably other builds that work as well.

Also – Screw the pale tree. Too many mechanics on that fight. Canach’s is MUCH more fun. He just spams CC grenades (Which Eternal Champion and Balanced Stance negate), and is kinda tough in melee.

Thanks for the strategy tips. I’ll be sure to come back here for them if I get an urge to do the fight again.

Why not just ask someone to come and join you. The fight is far more fun with more people and goes much faster. If you’re on a US server I’ll do it with you.

I appreciate you offering, but right now, I have basically zero desire to go back in there, with or without people along.

Or words to that effect.