Help me find a fun profession

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Washburn.3876

Washburn.3876

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to this game and am confused by a lot of terminology that people are throwing around. I was hoping to ask for people to recommend a profession that is fun to play. I am not really interested in the FotM type professions, just a nice, fun play style.

A bit more on what i’m looking for: I come from a long love/hate relationship with World of Warcraft and I finally gotten sick and tired of Blizzard changing the overall playstyle of your favorite class / spec every year. I hope to find something thats fairly stable.

I am not a fan of combo points or pointless buffs (ie: press this button every 10 seconds to increase your damage by 20% for 6 seconds). I am not very good at kiting and feel like any class that absolutely depends on it is not for me. As far as melee vs range, i don’t really have a preference since i like doing both.

Anyway, thanks so much for reading and for your help.

Me.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Engineeers might suit your requirements. With kits you can change your attack style whenever you want. As for fun, that’s subjective but I have them all and here are mine in descending order of “fun”. There are ties at 1 and 2 because I can’t be bothered to pick a winner, they’re equal in terms of fun. With a good patch to the broken balance thief goes straight to the top. Ranger which is my actual main loses fun points because Druid isn’t perfect and the classes above it on my list are better. Thief is about to be overhauled as are many classes so this could change.

1. Elemantalist / Engineer
2. Thief / Mesmer
3. Ranger

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Washburn.3876

Washburn.3876

Thank you so much for this!

What do you mean by overhauled? Will the playstyles drastically change or just the numbers? What i hated most about WOW is that the playstyles completely changed and made certain classes that were truly enjoyable boring and practically unplayable.

Aidenwolf.5964

Thank you so much for this!

What do you mean by overhauled? Will the playstyles drastically change or just the numbers? What i hated most about WOW is that the playstyles completely changed and made certain classes that were truly enjoyable boring and practically unplayable.

Balance is broken currently so numbers will certainly shift but one of the Elemantalist traits is being redone, this will only really effect PvP. I adore my Engineer as he can handle any situation but if thieves get buffed a bit they’re the most fun for me.

Also keep in mind that ascended gear can be moved from toon to toon so my Engi and Thief and Ranger share gear and weapons, as do my Ele, Mesmer and Necro.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

PvE, I love my ranger. With a variety of pets you can switch them out to fit different play styles. If you’re exploring I like having the pet around as well. You can go power or condition or go Druid for a heal spec. Heal’s still not really useful for a lot of PvE, but depends on what you’re doing. Can either buff your pet with Beastmastery or trait yourself up and use the pet as more of a utility.

WvW, I have the most fun on mesmer. I don’t like the light armor classes for PvE (too much kiting) but in WvW it is really fun and provides group utility.

I still can’t get into the Heavy armor classes much.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Whatever you do, always have a second profession/main on reserve in case your favorite gets nerfed.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i highly recommend engineer. compared to engi all other classes seem like a waste of time. engi is a master of all trades and outclasses every other class in everything by far.
add the charr masterrace to that and you have a shining demigod walking among filthy peasants laying waste to everything with his gaze alone.
any objection rejected.

Aidenwolf.5964

i highly recommend engineer. compared to engi all other classes seem like a waste of time. engi is a master of all trades and outclasses every other class in everything by far.
add the charr masterrace to that and you have a shining demigod walking among filthy peasants laying waste to everything with his gaze alone.
any objection rejected.

I agree with everything except the Charr part, everyone knows Asura are the master race.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The engineer has a fairly high skill ceiling. From what you’ve described, I don’t really think it’s a good fit. You really do have to play hard to get an engineer to work well. I’d more recommend a ranger or a necro, because those professions are easier to play and survive in but can still get you through all the main content.

The ranger particularly is brilliant for open world soloing.