Helping others seems to be a no-no in HOT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I remember a recent update which stated that ressing people would now count towards an event? Well, the HOT metas don’t seem to have got the memo. I was in DS yesterday and I started ressing a few people who had been downed, as a break from the monotonous fighting and because I was feeling a sense of community with my fellow man. I wanted them to enjoy their DS experience just as I was enjoying playing battlefield medic. (I even have a title for that!) But as I was basking in the glow of numerous "ty"s the game politely told me that due to my inactivity, I was no longer part of the event!

Now, you may argue that ressing instead of fighting is letting down the team. Those lazy kittens who can’t be bothered to not get hit should just wp and run back. Who can really say in this crazy topsy-turvy world? But it’s clear that helping others in the HOT zones is not encouraged by the powers-that-be. One might say it’s not a case of “play as you like” so much as a case of “play by fighting and stomping on the faces of the fallen!”

So if I ignore your desperate please for help I hope you’ll forgi—-oh, what am I saying! I can’t ignore you, random player! Let me rub that hurt away and kitten the event!!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

This has been how things are well before HoT. Typically those that are dead should WP.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Throw spells and hit stuff while running from dead person to dead person. Getting participation credit takes minimal effort, you would need to actively ignore the event to not get credit.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I believe that while they did change it (unless it’s bugged), they said that you’ll still have to do SOME damage to make it realize you’re part of the event, and what you do after that will count. If you were only healing, buffing, and/or rezzing, then it didn’t know to count you.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

I’ve gotten that message in the circle, slightly out of the circle, while I was fighting, while I was rezzing, heck even while I was dying. The message is newish, not aimed to stop or deter you from rezzing down players. I think it’s a fix for participation rewards being earned by those not actively participating (staying dead rather than wping). But, it seems to be slightly broken for the ones getting it while alive and participating.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Aha! Wise words. Thank you all. I shall continue to cause grievous bodily harm to the green-folk (as Mordrem like to call themselves) while I bring succour to the injured. Fear not! Your medical bills shall be paid for with the suffering of Mordremoth’s minions.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I also got a few times rezzing and losing part of the event too……

And I didn’t care……rub, rub and rub…..

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Did you take note of which event you were no longer participating in? In DS the game likes to keep on reminding me that I am no longer participating in events due to inactivity for events that were already completed several minutes ago. It is literally impossible to be actively participating in those!

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Unless things have changed, when most of the larger scale events in HOT are on , all bar one of the WPs are contested, so you to run for ages to get back to where you were when you died, and if you take too long or die on the way, you get booted for not participating enough.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

this game is aimed way to much to selfish ppl, ressing takes to much time so you ether die your self or lose rewards.
it should be really simple, as long as you are in the circle of the event or at least taking down one or two enemies it should count, even after death you should be rewarded for what you did do.
ressing should actually increase your reward, something like the more you successfully rez the more chance you have on rares/exotics.

ressing should be encouraged, not discouraged.

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

This has been how things are well before HoT. Typically those that are dead should WP.

Not always possible, and many times I have lost event participation by rezzing and running back.

Sometimes the nearest waypoint is a huge distance away so there may be no chance of you getting back before the event ends.

If the rez point is right by the event or close and there is a good time before it completes then it’s fine to run back, otherwise it’s not. Really people shouldn’t rez just because they can, you have to take everything into consideration and then decide. I rez if it is safe to do so and won’t negatively affect the event.

Then at one point I rezzed an anet dev, wouldn’t have avoided that for anything. Dev, I owns your soul, mwahahaha! >:D

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

Who can really say in this crazy topsy-turvy world? But it’s clear that helping others in the HOT zones is not encouraged by the powers-that-be.

In some parts of the DS meta wasting time reviving people can cause problems, such as in the Towers, you see dead people lying for minutes on end with some misguided people trying to revive them while the zerg’s DPS goes down the toilet and the pods end up respawning: the loss of DPS of two or three people trying to revive one dead one is HUGE.

Also, when there’s a working WP not 10 seconds away you’re right, I’ll not bother reviving someone who’s dead, my time is better spent DPSing the mobs .. if you’re downed sure, I’ll get you back on your feet but if you’re lying waiting when you could have been back on your feet 30 seconds ago then carry on eating dirt.

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

You need to separate between downed and dead.

Rezzing downed is great and everyone should do it.

Rezzing dead is bad. It takes way more time to rezz a dead as to rezz a downed. While this long time everyone rezzing can’t help at the event but is upscaling the event. So if you rezz a dead you are helping one but are hurting dozens.

Therefore downed should be rezzed and dead should wp.

Ayrilana.1396

Not always possible, and many times I have lost event participation by rezzing and running back.

Sometimes the nearest waypoint is a huge distance away so there may be no chance of you getting back before the event ends.

If the rez point is right by the event or close and there is a good time before it completes then it’s fine to run back, otherwise it’s not. Really people shouldn’t rez just because they can, you have to take everything into consideration and then decide. I rez if it is safe to do so and won’t negatively affect the event.

Then at one point I rezzed an anet dev, wouldn’t have avoided that for anything. Dev, I owns your soul, mwahahaha! >:D

Which events?

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

I’d say don’t worry about that message that says you’re not participating. I think it is bugged. I’ve seen it pop up sometimes while I’m in the middle of fighting in the event it refers to. (And I still get credit when the event is done.) I’ve also seen it in reference to an event that I’d already completed minutes ago and got credit for.

Ayrilana.1396

I’d say don’t worry about that message that says you’re not participating. I think it is bugged. I’ve seen it pop up sometimes while I’m in the middle of fighting in the event it refers to. (And I still get credit when the event is done.) I’ve also seen it in reference to an event that I’d already completed minutes ago and got credit for.

I think it just impacts whether you get credit for it in regards to your participation bar. I’ve never paid much attention to it so I could be mistaken.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I think it just impacts whether you get credit for it in regards to your participation bar. I’ve never paid much attention to it so I could be mistaken.

Not really sure what it impacts. I do know that the other day I left an event that I found to be long and tedious and didn’t care about the reward but eventually I got the event completion notification after the ‘no longer participating’ message and I still got gold level participation for the event.

Ayrilana.1396

Not really sure what it impacts. I do know that the other day I left an event that I found to be long and tedious and didn’t care about the reward but eventually I got the event completion notification after the ‘no longer participating’ message and I still got gold level participation for the event.

I was referring specfically to the partcipation bar. In VB, I have defended a camp, left halfway through to defend another that had only one person, and got gold for both. Only one of them contributed to the progress bar.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Anet wants you to WP even. If they didnt, they would have death timers be tied to the area/event that the players are at (similar to Group based content) and force players to rez each other.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Throw spells and hit stuff while running from dead person to dead person. Getting participation credit takes minimal effort, you would need to actively ignore the event to not get credit.

Not only that, but actively ignore it for quite a few minutes as well.

Sorry OP, it’s not that HoT discourages you from helping others, it’s that HoT encourages you to be active with the event.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Not only that, but actively ignore it for quite a few minutes as well.

Sorry OP, it’s not that HoT discourages you from helping others, it’s that HoT encourages you to be active with the event.

Got it. Thx.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

It’s a common thing for meta events. It’s also good punishment for players who do tougher events and don’t gear up properly or position themselves poorly.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Dimi Gravedancer.1463

Dimi Gravedancer.1463

If that is the mentality, then what is the point of the Ress system? As well as some of the events are to far from the WP to get back in time

I Can outrun a Centaur!!! Crap TREE!!!!

Ayrilana.1396

If that is the mentality, then what is the point of the Ress system? As well as some of the events are to far from the WP to get back in time

Which events?

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

That time when your dead until someone res you is same as you wp and run back. Many event bosses in hot have time limit and if you need to res defeated players you dont have time to kill boss. Vinetooth Prime is one example.