Hero Point Challenge enemies overtuned

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Some of the Hero Point challenges are overtuned. One boss heals too much (6k hp per second), and another has so much health, it takes over 4 minutes just to kill it.

Is this intentional?

Attachments:

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

This does bother me a bit. Right now it’s fine. But what is going to happen when the maps empty out but you are trying to get an alt through? Even now with everyone in the new maps I don’t find all that many people at the points (mainly because we are all spread out in the map most likely).

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think it is. Its certainly consistent at all the points I’ve reached.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

There’s a kind of Thrasher that heals if you stand in its ground AoE. I assume that’s the 6k you’re seeing. Keep in mind this is a champ and it looks like you’re doing it with two people.

I do think this is going to be a problem later on though… that some of these are all but imossible to solo and (as I mentioned in a thread of my own) that there’s basically no motivation for helping people once you’ve done it, other than the kindness of your heart.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Cerpin.9152

Cerpin.9152

It says [Group Event] right there on the right side of the screen.
If you don’t have a group worth of players with you, how can you call it “overtuned”?

My experience was that most of these were duo-able.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

If you don’t have a group worth of players with you, how can you call it “overtuned”?

Because they’re Skill/Hero Point challenges. They shouldn’t be group events.

This isn’t like a raid, where you’re supposed to come prepared to do incredible things. This is the stuff you have to be able to do in order to prepare to do incredible things. If it becomes a block to people, and it may as crowds move on, then it will cut them off from parts of the game.

We’re not saying it should be easy. Just… not THIS hard. This is what a character does to make themselves tough. Raids are the title fight, this should be the workout in the gym that gets you into the ring. Something that can fall on you and you alone.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Cerpin.9152

This isn’t like a raid, where you’re supposed to come prepared to do incredible things. This is the stuff you have to be able to do in order to prepare to do incredible things. If it becomes a block to people, and it may as crowds move on, then it will cut them off from parts of the game.

We’re not saying it should be easy. Just… not THIS hard. This is what a character does to make themselves tough. Raids are the title fight, this should be the workout in the gym that gets you into the ring. Something that can fall on you and you alone.

These hero challenges are worth ten times more than the ones that you solo’d before. If anything they should require 10 players instead of 1. See how that reasoning works?

Getting the help of one fellow player is hardly “THIS difficult” ( or comparable to raids… ). It’s still relatively easy.

There was one challenge we couldn’t quite beat as a duo … so we asked another duo that was passing by for help. We grouped up and easily beat it. It’s a multiplayer game! Who would have thought?!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

These hero challenges are worth ten times more than the ones that you solo’d before. If anything they should require 10 players instead of 1. See how that reasoning works?

Good point except that we’re used to hero challenges that ARE soloable and someday in the not-too-distant future, the maps WILL be largely empty and then alts and new players won’t be able to get their points, which is just, you know, stupid.

Posted by: Tatikios.1027

Tatikios.1027

Good point except that we’re used to hero challenges that ARE soloable and someday in the not-too-distant future, the maps WILL be largely empty and then alts and new players won’t be able to get their points, which is just, you know, stupid.

So just call your friends and guild mates, whats the problem? This game is mmo, you must have some friends to play it.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

So just call your friends and guild mates, whats the problem? This game is mmo, you must have some friends to play it.

No, actually, I’ve never HAD to have people doing the exact same thing I’m doing in order to complete hero challenges before. For 3 years, I’ve been doing these fine on my own.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

They are definitely over tuned. I don’t recall anyone ever asking for challenging hero challenges.

Break bars seem to be over tuned as well. Can never break one 1v1 and never seen a group break one ever, in 8 hours of play today. Only time I’ve ever seen one break is when its a group vs a vet (a mob meant for 1v1) with a break bar.

Palador.2170

By THAT reasoning, they should be easy to walk to, like the one where the human tutorial ends. But they’re not, are they? I think even the easiest of them require gliding as a minimum. It takes a lot more effort to get to them than it does to a lot of the 1pt ones.

And that’s the real problem, here. Right now the maps are being torn apart and explored by a lot of people. They’re going where it’s hard to get to. Once the maps die down some, that won’t be the case.

You say a couple came by and you asked them for help. Why them? Why not any of the other people in the map? Because they were there, right? What happens when there’s nobody there? How far do you expect random people, or even your friends, to derail their game playing to come help you? And not just once. Every time you run into one like this. Are you willing to be one of THOSE people? The “friend” that always needs something from you, and doesn’t understand why you won’t simply drop whatever you’re doing to come do things for them?

I’d rather not see the game force people into that position when the map dies down.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

No, actually, I’ve never HAD to have people doing the exact same thing I’m doing in order to complete hero challenges before. For 3 years, I’ve been doing these fine on my own.

This. I love GW2, and have been flying solo since it was released. Due to a number of reasons, grouping is a huge problem for me. Mainly, I have things in RL that require me to log off at the drop of a hat. Not a big deal on my own, but deeply unfair for any players that might be depending on me.

I purchased HOT expecting the maps to be challenging, but more along the lines of Silverwastes or Dry Top. I thought raids were the elite group content, and that there would remain a clear demarcation between Dynamic Events that required a lot of people and stuff like Hero Challenges that do not. It’s a bait and switch on Anet’s part to change the way maps and map exploration works so fundamentally, especially since doing Hero Challenges are the only way for my characters to reach their full potential.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Uhm… Even in groups, it takes a whole 4 minutes in an event that only gives me 4:30 to complete the event.

How is that not overtuned?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Uhm… Even in groups, it takes a whole 4 minutes in an event that only gives me 4:30 to complete the event.

How is that not overtuned?

That sounds nearly perfectly tuned actually. The goal would be to have it be doable (complete in under 4:30) without having it be a pushover (complete with minutes to spare).

Posted by: Drekor.5217

Drekor.5217

Getting the help of one fellow player is hardly “THIS difficult” ( or comparable to raids… ). It’s still relatively easy.

There was one challenge we couldn’t quite beat as a duo … so we asked another duo that was passing by for help. We grouped up and easily beat it. It’s a multiplayer game! Who would have thought?!

Except once you have done them there is no reason to go back and help people that haven’t yet done them… makes for some horrible barriers to entry later down the road.

The Shipwrecked Pirates
Tarnished Coast

Cerpin.9152

By THAT reasoning, they should be easy to walk to, like the one where the human tutorial ends. But they’re not, are they? I think even the easiest of them require gliding as a minimum. It takes a lot more effort to get to them than it does to a lot of the 1pt ones.

And that’s the real problem, here. Right now the maps are being torn apart and explored by a lot of people. They’re going where it’s hard to get to. Once the maps die down some, that won’t be the case.

You say a couple came by and you asked them for help. Why them? Why not any of the other people in the map? Because they were there, right? What happens when there’s nobody there? How far do you expect random people, or even your friends, to derail their game playing to come help you? And not just once. Every time you run into one like this. Are you willing to be one of THOSE people? The “friend” that always needs something from you, and doesn’t understand why you won’t simply drop whatever you’re doing to come do things for them?

I’d rather not see the game force people into that position when the map dies down.

They are easy to get to. Some are gated behind masteries, yes. This is an obstacle on day 1 – it’s a non-issue two weeks later.

Also if you haven’t noticed: The maps are designed for replayability. There are currencies and different meta-events/rewards for every map and people won’t stop needing those hero-points for all their alts.
The maps “dieing down” won’t happen soon, so why do you worry about that?

And being “forced” to interact with other people? Boo-hoo.
Maybe you want to start looking here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor

Mightybird.6034

I thought raids were the elite group content, and that there would remain a clear demarcation between Dynamic Events that required a lot of people and stuff like Hero Challenges that do not. It’s a bait and switch on Anet’s part to change the way maps and map exploration works so fundamentally, especially since doing Hero Challenges are the only way for my characters to reach their full potential.

this exactly

Ashen.2907

There is already commentary about zones not being populated. Of course this could be just another round of megaserver malfunctions. Then again it doesn’t really matter why if there are not enough people around, just that there aren’t.

Personally I like the idea of more challenges that call for group play to overcome.

Palador.2170

They are easy to get to. Some are gated behind masteries, yes. This is an obstacle on day 1 – it’s a non-issue two weeks later.

Also if you haven’t noticed: The maps are designed for replayability. There are currencies and different meta-events/rewards for every map and people won’t stop needing those hero-points for all their alts.

So, you’re saying that the devs know what they’re doing, they’ve got it right, and there’s no need or point to us complaining about it. We should just adjust our expectations?

Cerpin.9152

So, you’re saying that the devs know what they’re doing, they’ve got it right, and there’s no need or point to us complaining about it. We should just adjust our expectations?

Look up what the term “MMORPG” means and then look at your expectations.

Tatikios.1027

Yes, exactly this i want to say. To get your ELITE specialization you have to complete some challenges with your friends and thats what we want from MMO game.

Mightybird.6034

Yes, exactly this i want to say. To get your ELITE specialization you have to complete some challenges with your friends and thats what we want from MMO game.

Pls stop using that word’s implication as an excuse for your own opinion when the devs have already said the elite specs are no stronger (NOT ELITE) than the base class.

It is simply flavor text.

Ashen.2907

Yes, exactly this i want to say. To get your ELITE specialization you have to complete some challenges with your friends and thats what I want from MMO game.

Fixed that for you.

I too prefer group challenges in an MMO but that does not mean everyone does.

Cerpin.9152

Yes, exactly this i want to say. To get your ELITE specialization you have to complete some challenges with your friends and thats what I want from MMO game.

Fixed that for you.

People that don’t have a wide variety of singleplayer games to choose from…

Ashen.2907

Fixed that for you.

People that don’t have a wide variety of singleplayer games to choose from…

Examine the vast majority of GW2’s content and try to claim that it was not designed for solo play.

Palador.2170

Look up what the term “MMORPG” means and then look at your expectations.

Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

Do you RP? I do. If you don’t, kindly remember what the term means and then tell me why “The Commander of the Pact” needs to call in some other “Commander of the Pact” people, to help to defeat an opponent that some of them have already faced and destroyed.

Or… you know… we could use common sense in this discussion.

These Hero Challenges ARE gated by Masteries, and some of the people on the map will be new to the area and find it a struggle to get to the locations. Not everyone plays it on Day 1 of the expansion, after all. Do you expect them to come running when you call? Do you expect your friends to come running because you decided it’s time to get more H-Points, and escort you through the zones? How willing are YOU going to be if your friends start to do this to you? Or random people that just happen to think you’re a convenient person to ask?

Group content has a place in this game. Building the basics of your character should not be that place.

Tatikios.1027

Pls stop using that word’s implication as an excuse for your own opinion when the devs have already said the elite specs are no stronger (NOT ELITE) than the base class.

To train this spec you must complete traing in all other specs, it requires 400 points to train the whole spec, its name is ELITE spec and its change your class portrait. So… its 100% ELITE spec and to get it you ,ust complete challenge. Its usual mmo practice and we are playing MMO game, so why it shoud be changed? Cause some of players dont have any friends and have some social problems?

Ashen.2907

To train this spec you must complete traing in all other specs, it requires 400 points to train the whole spec, its name is ELITE spec and its change your class portrait. So… its 100% ELITE spec and to get it you ,ust complete challenge. Its usual mmo practice and we are playing MMO game, so why it shoud be changed? Cause some of players dont have any friends and have some social problems?

Elite means better. We have been told that the, “elite,” specs are not supposed to be better. This means that the word elite is being used as a proper noun, not as an accurate descriptor.

Mightybird.6034

wat

Its not elite, its flavor text. Doesn’t matter what you do to get it the devs have it balanced so that its no different from base class. it isn’t an upgrade. How do you not get that? Its from the devs own mouths.

Tatikios.1027

Elite means better.

No, elite means elite.

Ashen.2907

Elite means better.

No, elite means elite.

A word is not defined by itself but rather by the concept to which it refers. The word elite means superior or better in some way.

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Building the basics of your character should not be that place.

I think this is exactly the issue. People shouldn’t be gated by xp, masteries and the requirement to get more people just to progress with their own character.

While they thought it might be challenging, it’s rather just challenge of ‘’getting enough people willing to follow you to that kitten place where the HP is’’ and I don’t think that’s right.

I also feel bad for people who do not have enough time to play and will be progressing slowly and then have issues getting all these HP’s to unlock their elite spec just because there are huge walls in front of most content in this xpack.

Mightybird.6034

No, elite means elite.

ok and I guess in guild wars 2 we are all in guilds that fight each other in gvg battles and thats all we do, strictly, gvg, and guildless people do not exist. cause thats how names work

o^)

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

I don’t mind Hero challenge giving 10 points being slightly difficult, but some of those you need 10 people to bring them down, its kinda ridiculous.

Not to mention, those hero challenge are often restricted by mastery gating, so bringing people to them right now can be hard too. It’s launch day and I can sit near a hero challenge in the canopy for an hour without someone coming to help, and even if someone comes, that’s still 3 people short of killing the kitten thing.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Tatikios.1027

I don’t mind Hero challenge giving 10 points being slightly difficult, but some of those you need 10 people to bring them down, its kinda ridiculous.

Not to mention, those hero challenge are often restricted by mastery gating, so bringing people to them right now can be hard too. It’s launch day and I can sit near a hero challenge in the canopy for an hour without someone coming to help, and even if someone comes, that’s still 3 people short of killing the kitten thing.

Why are you playing alone in a launch day? Why you dont have party of firends who traind the same mastery and do same explorations?

Posted by: Eremoo.2785

Eremoo.2785

Can’t solo any challenges. For some reason almost every hero challenge needs to be a jumping puzzle with heights and gliders and puzzles, all of today spent playing the game in this frustrating environment just to get 20% of my elite spec done. What a kittenty expansion

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Why are you playing alone in lunch day? Why you dont have party of firends who traind the same mastery and do same explorations?

Why don’t you let everyone play the way they want? I didn’t find a sing ‘’requires at least 4 friends to play’’ anywhere when I was buying hot.

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

Why are you playing alone in lunch day? Why you dont have party of firends who traind the same mastery and do same explorations?

Wat? U’re assuming that people share the same work-schedule/ time-zone/ objective as you are.

Tatikios.1027

Why don’t you let everyone play the way they want? I didn’t find a sing ‘’requires at least 4 friends to play’’ anywhere when I was buying hot.

You can play without elite spec and try all new content.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

I’ve added Cerpin to my friends list.

I’m sure he won’t mind coming to help each of my 12+ pve based toons whenever I feel like (or more accurately, have rl time for) doing one of these challenges, and bringing some of his guild along too.

It might be the 200th request he gets but as it’s an MMO, and so he’s going to help us all whenever we ask, right?

Personally I’m looking forward to hearing all the moaning when people are bringing their 6th toon through, there is no one there, and they can’t progress as they struggle to even reach the mastery spot due to all the mobs (play a non-regen squishy and see how much fun those mobs are). it’s ok when you tick 400-500 hp and wipe conditions off without using any skill at all, not so much fun when you have to use condi clears for those stacks of torment and roots and panic while you wait for your heal to come off cooldown.

Having to fight your way all the way back there once again, whilst asking your wvw guild mates to come to pve to assist, doesn’t make for a fun guild experience- especially when it’s your 3rd or 4th main.

Still, not as bad as making proofs from wvw SOULBOUND, forcing wvw players to use the toon that you want to get to elite mastery (even if it’s only a once or twice a week main to fill a spot in a guild raid) instead of being able to main one whilst collecting points on another- and remember, we’re talking weeks or months of wvw to get those levels for each toon.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

Why are you playing alone in a launch day? Why you dont have party of firends who traind the same mastery and do same explorations?

Well, in my case nah I didn’t have anyone today. But my point is really just that they can stay difficult but they shoudl scale down a bit more so 2 or 3 good players can do them. Right now you just get eaten alive by the damage and you wouldn’t even be able to kill the champion in time anyway.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I purchased HOT expecting the maps to be challenging, but more along the lines of Silverwastes or Dry Top.

My suggestion? Ask for a refund and uninstall the game. Then, a few weeks later, come here to laugh as the players who today tell you to just ask someone nearby for help begin complaining that there is no one nearby to help them.

Cerpin.9152

I’ve added Cerpin to my friends list.

I’m sure he won’t mind coming to help each of my 12+ pve based toons whenever I feel like (or more accurately, have rl time for) doing one of these challenges, and bringing some of his guild along too.

It might be the 200th request he gets but as it’s an MMO, and so he’s going to help us all whenever we ask, right?

I will help any of my guildies and friends whenever I can. I also wouldn’t deny any random person that sees me around something they are struggling with and asks for my help. I am so crazy, right?

Personally I’m looking forward to hearing all the moaning when people are bringing their 6th toon through, there is no one there, and they can’t progress as they struggle to even reach the mastery spot due to all the mobs (play a non-regen squishy and see how much fun those mobs are). it’s ok when you tick 400-500 hp and wipe conditions off without using any skill at all, not so much fun when you have to use condi clears for those stacks of torment and roots and panic while you wait for your heal to come off cooldown.

Having to fight your way all the way back there once again, whilst asking your wvw guild mates to come to pve to assist, doesn’t make for a fun guild experience- especially when it’s your 3rd or 4th main.

I have 8 characters on level 80 and want all of them and the new Revenant to get their specialization. I also think it will be a hassle to do it all over and over again.
Still, it’s not unreasonable at all, because it will make completing the specialization a goal that means something and because I did most of it in half a day of gaming on one class already – I will get it the other ones soon enough.

Still, not as bad as making proofs from wvw SOULBOUND, forcing wvw players to use the toon that you want to get to elite mastery (even if it’s only a once or twice a week main to fill a spot in a guild raid) instead of being able to main one whilst collecting points on another- and remember, we’re talking weeks or months of wvw to get those levels for each toon.

Because that totally doesn’t make sense, right? Progressing your character by playing that very same character! Wow, what a concept!
And if you are in a WvW guild, why don’t you apply the basic WvW tactic to this obstacle too: Just form a blob that is big enough to roll over every fight without resistance. Profit.

Mightybird.6034

@ cerpin seriously come back after you have several more characters with elite specs, especially ones that didn’t already have world completion. I’d be really genuinely interested to hear if your opinion is still the same.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

This. Anet, remember the HUGE backlash from your 2nd version of unlocking traits?

To those who weren’t around, some traits were unlocked behind clearing temples (whose final battle was literally impossible without a player zerg plus you had no way of knowing when they would start), dungeon paths (also impossible without partying if up), and champs that weren’t as bad as temples, but your chances of soloing were slim to none.

Some of the Maguuma hero points are the same. RIP if you are solo, in a quiet spot on the map, and in the future for anyone who logs in at a late hour or if low player population due to festivals or the fact that other players don’t need the hero points anymore.

I said this a long time ago, profession unlocking should NEVER depend on the kindness of other players helping you out, and sure as he’ll not behind challenges that are ignored after the 1st time / impossible when no one is around.

Or think about it this way: If I hated grinding hero points for MYSELF, what makes you think I will want to do it AGAIN for other players?

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Tasao.4623

Tasao.4623

They are vastly, vastly overtuned. I keep running into Champions that hit for 50-90% of my hp. Usually with friends. In the middle of nowhere. No other players around. I stumble onto a hero challenge, activate it, and get faced with a champion I have to kite or die immediately to, while evading and killing its adds that hit almost as hard but luckily are only veterans, BUT THE CHALLENGE IS ON A BROKEN AIRSHIP so the floor is diagonal and my character constantly either gets rooted trying to walk up the terrain or falls and can’t use abilities when walking down it.

Not to mention the wyverns that 1-shot you elsewhere in another hero challenge.

I was really, really upset at the massively obscene, disgusting 400 point requirement just to unlock your full and now that I’m actually hunting for hero challenges and running into this kind of group-oriented BS left and right it’s justifying all the salty feelings I had to begin with an multiplying them.

I cannot fathom how a thinking, sentient game designer sat down and thought ANY of this was a good idea. From Hero Point to Hero Challenge, the ENTIRE pathway of unlocking your elite spec in HoT is pure, 120% garbage. Grade A rage fuel. It’s the single most common complaint I’m hearing from friends as well. Most of the people I know aren’t even using their Elite specs even if they have them partially unlocked because they feel too kitten in the hard jungle content to go without.

I can’t imagine this is something ANet wanted. For players to ignore their elite specs and rage endlessly at how every time they go through the trouble of doing a mini jumping puzzle to get to a skill challenge they get immediately slaughtered by a champion and give up instead of going through the trouble of reclimbing the plateau or wreckage and dying again.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

This. Anet, remember the HUGE backlash from your 2nd version of unlocking traits?

Lol, I’m beginning to see why this is an apt comparison.

You know, it gives me no joy at all to have to say this, cause I hate to crap on months work of development, but Anet… you guys basically just made the old trait system, except you replaced trait unlocks with elite specializations.

You made the same mistake as before… HPs are not repeatable in any way, so you have to go complete certain ones to get your elite spec fully unlocked. Granted, you rectified this in one area, with the WvW unlocks, but then you left the PvEers out to dry. And it’s definitely better than the old trait system was in the sense that elite specs technically aren’t as vital as traits and you don’t need to do every challenge, just most of them (unless you have world complete level of HP done on non-HoT – then you only got about half to do).

So it’s not AS bad. But the distinct scarcity of options for how to go about unlocking your elite spec is pretty depressing. You could have made jungle challenges that are repeatable, soloable, take some skill, and ultimately allow you to go your own way to get there. Instead you redressed the old skill system, almost as if you ran out of time and kinda went, “Eh, we’ll go with what we had before.”

It makes me sad. I hope that I’ll care less over time, but something tells me the complaints are going to persist rather audibly.

On a nicer note, I’m thoroughly enjoying the story and the masteries.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Techstriker.4130

Techstriker.4130

So it’s about the third day since launch and already I can’t find enough people to so a skill challenge between the time limit and the strength. This is not what I expected when I thought I’d be getting new class options… =/

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

the hero challenge champions are generally strong, but most of them have clearly identifiable mechanics which make them much easier once you master them.

for example, the vampiric beast champ will hoover up infinity hitpoints if it lands more than one or two hits in melee. you need to circle it constantly or keep at range to avoid being struck. It’s not that tough other than the vampire mechanic.

*The MK I Golem is a chump as long as you knock down the HealBots
*you can try the creeping crevasse challenge several times until you get a champ you are capable against
*many others are straight up communes, or in the case of the flame-beast veteran grade rather than champ

the only hero challenge in Verdant Brink i’d straight up consider unsoloable is the Zintl settler assassin. Maybe someone can school me with sweet Liadri-grade perfect dodges of the dagger combo and the stealhbow, but…ouch.

I think the hero point bosses could probably stand to be a little weaker and more clearly reliant on gimmicks rather than brute hp/damage. And the Zintl assassin needs a straight up nerf. Leeching Thrasher is probably too strong too, even one target left in the field gives in enormous hp.