Hero points

Hero points

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Killer.7284

Killer.7284

Arenanet, I love the expansion and can’t wait to unlock all the elite specializations, but I just have one question: can you please make the hero points soloable? It is difficult to work up the motivation to map a character and progress towards unlocking the elite specs when hero point bosses spawn that are scaled towards groups of three or four. I understand that the new hero points are worth 10 of the old hero points and enjoy a higher level of difficulty, but there comes a point where content is no longer available to those who are not in a hero point tour group. Thanks!

Hero points

Posted by: Lome.8239

Lome.8239

They are soloable. Try adjusting your gear/build a little.

Hero points

Posted by: Ascii Red.4029

Ascii Red.4029

I disagree with Lome.8239 who seems to be saying that you need to L2P (its classic troll mentantility to go through the forums and tell everyone who says anything negative that they are not good enough and its all their fault). That being said the hero points are intended to be given for the more difficult content i.e. not for killing boars in the forrest (south park joke incase you missed it). The fault rests with the whole idea of hero points which have basicaly become one of a number of bad attempts at leveling for max level chars. This is not about having fun, this is about giving you something to aim for so you dont get bored and leave the game, its called “progression” and you should probably get used to it.

Hero points

Posted by: Killer.7284

Killer.7284

No no, I got the joke. I also disagree with Lome (when Dulfy says you must run 2+ to be able to complete a hero point, I’m going to hazard a guess that she isn’t kidding).

I have no issue with the concept of hero points as a form of progression for unlocking abilities through actually playing the game. My problem is with how it seems like hero points are being used to artificially create a social aspect of the game — locking away abilities unless you find a group to grind out maps with. In fact, I would argue that this attempt by the devs to force grouping into the game could itself be a cause of people getting bored and leaving the game (as no sane person wants to spend hours beating their head against a wall with a certain hero point or set of hero point).

Also, looking to the future, this could cause issues down the road. If you look at the zones that have been recently added to the game, you will find that the number of players completing hero points(/points of interest/waypoints/general mapping/etc) falls off dramatically after some time. Dry top is a ghost town (with the exception of the infrequent organized event maps), and the reason The Silverwastes is so popular is because it is one of the best open world farms in the game. Considering that getting hero points awards nearly zero rewards (the xp reward is pretty trivial at higher mastery levels), I wish anyone levelling an alt the best of luck in the future, as it is going to be ridiculously difficult with the current state of hero points.

I had started this thread to hopefully draw attention to an issue with the implementation of certain particular hero points and the level of difficulty present in obtaining these points, not really as a critique of the mechanic itself. Hopefully a functionality is added, or the enemies are adjusted to be a bit more accommodating to those who attempt them without a group.

Hero points

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Aye, having to wait around for other players is one of the major put-offs for me going and getting my elite specs on all my characters.

These need to be completable solo.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Hero points

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

You can solo it but timer runs out before you actualy do it.