Hero points needed for new elite specs?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kaggura.4839

Kaggura.4839

Just wondering how many Hero Points will be needed to unlock the elite specialization traits and skills? From what I’ve read, there will be 12 traits @ 5 pts each (60) and then 5 skills @ 5 pts. each (25) , and 1 elite @ 15 pts. Would this mean, for example, to get the full Reaper trait set and utilities with the elite (not counting the new skins/armor) I’d need to have at least 100 hero points ready for the expansion launch?

I never saw anything concrete in regards to how many would be required to have the full array of new skills/traits opened for the new specializations, so if anyone has any official information it would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

170 for all skills and traits.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

170 for all skills and traits.

Source? An official figure would be nice. Datamining doesn’t count, here.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The data mine says 170. Just hope they’re wrong and will modify it, since 170 skill points across 8 alts is DUMB

Kaggura.4839

Hmm – aren’t there only 4 new shout utilities, 1 new heal, and 1 new elite — then add in 12 traits @5 points each (using Reaper as an example). I thought all traits and skills were 5 points each except elites which are 15? Looking at the en.gw2skills.net site the only ones I’d be missing are those 4 new shouts and new heal and elite (plus 12 traits) – maybe I’m missing something or they increased the cost per trait/skill?

Posted by: xadine.7069

xadine.7069

It has been datamined… it is not very viable source.
Also lets not forget Anet plan on add new elite spec over time and you can’t give that much hero point using “standard” way.
My guess is, we’ll get some quest-like content to unlock them, or XXhero point at once. Kind of like the 15 extrat point in GW1.

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

Hmm – aren’t there only 4 new shout utilities, 1 new heal, and 1 new elite — then add in 12 traits @5 points each (using Reaper as an example). I thought all traits and skills were 5 points each except elites which are 15? Looking at the en.gw2skills.net site the only ones I’d be missing are those 4 new shouts and new heal and elite (plus 12 traits) – maybe I’m missing something or they increased the cost per trait/skill?

Elite spec exclusive skins (weapons and armor skins) will also be in the traitline for you to be unlocked with points, so there’s where the extra points in your calculations should go.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

actually is there anything confirmed on “how” one will be unlocking elite specs?

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

How can it require skillpoints when characters after 80 directly go into masteries? Do you still earn skillpoints while earning masteries? Just a thought

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Kaggura.4839

@ Fox — I think you get a skill point each ‘level’ you get after 80 — also, I believe we would need to go out into the world and do the ‘Hero Challenges’ (old skill point challenges) in each zone to get the needed Hero Points.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

@ Fox — I think you get a skill point each ‘level’ you get after 80 — also, I believe we would need to go out into the world and do the ‘Hero Challenges’ (old skill point challenges) in each zone to get the needed Hero Points.

no Levels after 80 no longer give hero points as they are now called. you get enough for core from 1-80 and rest from challenges.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Currently you get 398 hero points from leveling and 213 from hero challenges (according to the wiki). The 398 are exactly enough to unlock all core skills and traits. The remaining 213 points can then be used to unlock the elite specialization’s skills, traits and items.

Fox.3469

Currently you get 398 hero points from leveling and 213 from hero challenges (according to the wiki). The 398 are exactly enough to unlock all core skills and traits. The remaining 213 points can then be used to unlock the elite specialization’s skills, traits and items.

That is unacceptable tough, that means you can’t unlock elite specs trough WvW and you have to do pve content to unlock these specs.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That is unacceptable tough, that means you can’t unlock elite specs trough WvW and you have to do pve content to unlock these specs.

Pretty sure Anet said they would be announcing information about how WvW players an access elite specs in the future.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I hope they do so soon. People who primarily WvW don’t know what they need to do in advance to stock up on points, assuming they even can do so without resorting to Hero Challenges. Meanwhile we PvE’ers can run around at our leisure well in advance.

Kaggura.4839

This was my main reason for asking — 3 of my 4 80s were leveled in WvW only, and since I like both the Reaper and Chronomancer, I’ve been running around the world maps doing Hero Challenges trying to get some since I spent my 398 (gotten through leveling alone) to max my skills/traits. It is a long and kind of annoying thing for me to have to do since I prefer to WvW only, and the Hero points are so spread out on the maps it is pretty much running all over the whole map zone for 6-9 or so points.

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

Pretty sure Badges from WvW will have more uses then it current weak limitations, Hero Points bought by them would be a nice introduction. I cant go unlcok basicly 95% of all Hero points on my 8 -9 Characters just to get the Elite Spez… not if PvE is the only way.

Weak Anet Weak

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I hope they do so soon. People who primarily WvW don’t know what they need to do in advance to stock up on points, assuming they even can do so without resorting to Hero Challenges. Meanwhile we PvE’ers can run around at our leisure well in advance.

If I was a WvW guy, I’d go out and get every hero point in the game. It really isn’t that time consuming, just do the hero points on one map a day. Yeah it’s probably not massively exciting, but it’s no great hardship either. Make it a guild event, or something.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Pretty sure Anet said they would be announcing information about how WvW players an access elite specs in the future.

This doesn’t screw only WvW players.

Dungeon runners get virtually nothing either, as most dungeon runners hate the stupid open world PvE.

I think very few people actually enjoy sifting through a map and collecting 170 hero challenges.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The short story is:

• We don’t know how many hero points will be needed for the elite specs. We have some good guesses, based on data mining, etc.
  • We don’t know if ANet will introduce hero point sources outside of what we already have. They have suggested that we will see new ones of some sort, making it less cumbersome for WvW players. It’s unclear if that would apply to dungeon/raid/pvp communities.

I am prepared to be pleased and I’m prepared to be annoyed. However, I don’t think there’s anything close to enough information available to be either. Not yet, anyhow.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

If I was a WvW guy, I’d go out and get every hero point in the game. It really isn’t that time consuming, just do the hero points on one map a day. Yeah it’s probably not massively exciting, but it’s no great hardship either. Make it a guild event, or something.

I WvW almost exclusively. When I leveled my Mesmer that was pretty much the approach I took. Do the maps for the skill points, get enough XP to level to 80 then WvW. I would never bring an up-level into WvW though.

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

They will and must give us another way then actually going into the world and get those 170 HP.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Not that I’d be thrilled, but the simplest solution would be to integrate obtaining the elite specs via existing systems

PvE: Hero points / quest line
WvW: A track (just like AC/ram/etc. Mastery) requiring AP via WvW rank levels as usual
PvP: Awarded at the very end of a PvP reward track, although this seems too fast

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

PvE: Hero points / quest line
WvW: A track (just like AC/ram/etc. Mastery) requiring AP via WvW rank levels as usual
PvP: Awarded at the very end of a PvP reward track, although this seems too fast

PvP by definition has every thing unlocked for all characters. You walk into Heart of the Mists on HoT launch and you can slot an elite spec. Only non-HoT accounts wont have access to elite specs. Further, splitting skill points into spirit shards and hero points was done because of the unmanageable glut of skill points from PvP and champion bags; therefore there is zero chance that a repeatable reward track will include hero points.

Since PvE has an established method of acquiring elite specs, the only point of contention then is WvW. The problem with WvW is that it isn’t a full split like PvP: you can have a different build, but training is shared. If there was a larger way to obtain hero points in WvW, it would either duplicate PvE (leading to an over abundance of hero points again), or split the points between modes (meaning WvW players still have to go into PvE, but now you have PvE players clogging up your matches).

Fox.3469

I seriously hope elite spec don’t hero points but a quest line for pve, a wvw master track for WvW, and nothing for Pvp. Pvp should still be all unlocked no matter the character progress

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m sure Anet has something in mind in terms of WvW players, but from my perspective the easiest way to do it would be to provide two ways to unlock Elite Specs (one for PvE, one for WvW) and once its unlocked in either mode, allow it to be used in both.

PvE unlocks Elite Specs via Hero Points. WvW players unlock them via (insert new unlock method here). If player A unlocks their Elite Spec via PvE, they can now use it anywhere in the game. If player B unlocks their Elite Spec via WvW, they can now use it anywhere in the game.

I mean, they COULD keep them completely separate. Unlock it in WvW, and you can use it in WvW only, and vice versa with PvE. There’s no particular precedent for that, as most things are shared between the two modes, but I’m sure it could be done. But I have a feeling doing that would create a lot of “I have to unlock my elite spec TWICE?!?!” rage posts.

So yah, two unlock methods, either one allows you to use your elite spec universally. That’d be my personal choice.

As far as the datamined hero point costs go… datamining is never concrete. And yes, while 170 is pretty high based on current hero point totals, I’m pretty sure there are also going to be new ways to acquire hero points in HoT. They’re going to want you to be able to work towards your elite spec in HoT content, not do a massive grind in the old world. You’ll probably still need some points from the core game, but I’m betting you’ll be able to make quite a bit of progress toward it through HoT itself.

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

I agree with not wanting elite specs to be gated too harshly since they openly promote how alt friendly this game is, but I definitely -do- want the cosmetics pushed high enough that not everyone is running around with them.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

170 is pretty high tbh, even though I’ve got it on some characters I personally don’t think it’s a good idea to put it that high. About half that (85 or so?) sounds a lot more reasonable.

WvW needs more hero point nodes now that it no longer counts towards world completion. The amount available in WvW ought to be able to bring people to the required amount with a fair amount of effort.

Posted by: xadine.7069

xadine.7069

As I said earlier on this thread:
In GW1 (yeah yeah I know not the same game blabla…) there was 2 quests to get “extra points” and Anet plan to add other elite spec in the futur.

So I don’t think it’ll be needed to clear the map to unlock. Also WvW players would be “left for dead” with this choice.
I strongly believe there will be some kind of personnal quest to get a “hero point boost” of some sort. I’d find it quite disapointing if you just get the elite spec by “here take my hero points” 30s after HoT launch.

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

170 seems like really a lot – collecting all those hero poins is just mind numbing and boring – unless you can get like a big chunk of points somewhere at the beginning of hot OR they give you some kind of point-re-allocation potion….

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

The data mine says 170. Just hope they’re wrong and will modify it, since 170 skill points across 8 alts is DUMB

Plus if they add a second elite spec for each class, then it’s simply impossible to unlock everything even with map completion.

Fox.3469

Plus if they add a second elite spec for each class, then it’s simply impossible to unlock everything even with map completion.

That’s the main reason i think they won’t go for it, unless somehow you earn skillpoints in different ways in HoT.

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

Is there any way possible to get a dev response on this? Please? If we need to have 170 hero points to unlock the elite’s then my Engineer (for instance) will need to grind out about 130 more, and I have one of each class with only my main having enough points atm. It would be nice to know if I need to start this grind now to be prepared.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Is there any way possible to get a dev response on this? Please? If we need to have 170 hero points to unlock the elite’s then my Engineer (for instance) will need to grind out about 130 more, and I have one of each class with only my main having enough points atm. It would be nice to know if I need to start this grind now to be prepared.

You’ll need between 100 (if comparable to normal spec/skills) and 170 (according to datamining). I highly doubt any Dev will respond to that. You’ll have to wait for the expansion.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

I hope it’s account wide, if you have to do world completion on all characters just to get your points that would suck big time.

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I hope it’s account wide, if you have to do world completion on all characters just to get your points that would suck big time.

I’m 99% sure it won’t be account wide. Unlocking core spec and skills is not account wide right now.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD