Hero points still spawn champions

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Was hoping they’d change this but looks not, most of the hero points still have you fight champions even if solo. Happy with most of the patch but this bit still sucks, I want to actually play with the new specializations but unlocking them is still a pain.

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

There’s usually a few people willing to help, if I need to do hero points I just throw up my mentor apple and say ‘doing golem hp [Faren’s Flyer Waypoint]’ or whatever the point is and people always come

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Yeah like Black Iris Flowers says. I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy or was to get people to come when I advertised in map chat, there’s always someone who wants to do it, all it takes is for one person to say “I’m going to do this HP” and people tend to come flocking. Not what you were hoping for, I know, but I think it’s the best way for now.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Some of the champs have been nerfed considerably, alot of them are Champs in name only. However, some of the locations can make it a pain with other mobs that can be just as painful as well.

But yes, there are a few HP’s that still seem to have Champ grade stats that are above being soloable for the moment, but thankfully a good majority are doable for most toons.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Check the LFG tool. Sometimes I see someone doing a hero point run in Verdant Brink or other HoT maps (for free too). You could always ask in map chat for help.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Even thou I have most HP’s in HoT I would still do them if you asked in map chat … Why? Cause of the XP that I get for helping and killing it again, lol.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Yeah, this is one of the things I was sure Anet was going to fix in this patch, and then they didn’t because… reasons?

It’s absolutely unacceptable that you have to beg other players for help with basic map completion.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Yeah, this is one of the things I was sure Anet was going to fix in this patch, and then they didn’t because… reasons?

It’s absolutely unacceptable that you have to beg other players for help with basic map completion.

Forgot to add my thoughts earlier.

I agree. I too was hoping they would reduce hero point champions to veteran levels.

Hero points are a part of personal player progression. But like some achievements in living story season 2, it requires you to get a group to complete, or it’s going to be very hard (for some players) to do it solo. Living story is part of the personal story.

I just want to point out, when you require players to team up with others to do personal progression stuff, it isn’t personal anymore. Character progression should all be personal with the option to do it with other players.

Dungeons, Fractals, map-wide meta events, are all designed to be group specific content. They weren’t designed to be soloed, though some players are skilled enough to be able to. These types of PvE content should require a group effort.

Gaining hero points to unlock elite specializations only benefits you directly, while doing content designed for people working together benefits everyone equally.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They probably didn’t nerf them because there’s already enough to unlock your elite spec solo and map completion isn’t necessary. Hero challenges should be more like adventures imo, where they’re 1vs1 events that you can easily retry and are designed to test you, such as the old rally tutorial where a boss 1 shots you, then spawns adds.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Wait ’till you are casually working towards crafting a new legendary,only to find your progress blocked,because you have to clear one of those champs,and it is either too late at night or too early in the morning to find other players.
Not a good vibe at all.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

For goodness sakes, HP in HoT give TEN points, and you want them to be as easy as the ones in Tyria?!?

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

For goodness sakes, HP in HoT give TEN points, and you want them to be as easy as the ones in Tyria?!?

They are as easy as vanilla hero points, but with the completely unnecessary logistics ‘challenge’ of waiting for a group.

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Most of HP in VB and AB are soloable. A few could require a second player. In TD are a bit harder, but still most of them can be done alone. In the whole game there’s maybe 2-3 HP which requires a group.

I don’t known about Dragon Stance: I finished VB and AB a couple of weeks ago and just reach ~95% of TD this evening (I’m mostly a PvP and ex-WvW player).

HoT content is harder than core Tyria but once you learn which build to use and how to fight the content even packs of veteran smokescales and the elusive stealth stabbing frogs are trivial to dispach.

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

They are as easy as vanilla hero points, but with the completely unnecessary logistics ‘challenge’ of waiting for a group.

Except that Mushroom under Rata Novus, that one is hard.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

They give 10x the points because ANet wanted people to have to do a bunch of them in HoT to unlock Elite specs, not because they are are supposed to be more challenging. Commune points, for instance, also give 10x, but are not difficult.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Except that Mushroom under Rata Novus, that one is hard.

No.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Agreed OP i gave up trying, no one helps when i ask, and even if one or two arrive we all die..

Most have the thing months ago and are too busy running meta to help anyone ever..

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

They give 10x the pints because ANet wanted people to have to do a bunch of them in HoT to unlock Elite specs, not because they are are supposed to be more challenging. Commune points, for instance, also give 10x, but are not difficult.

Yeah, it was pretty much a deliberate move to devalue the hero points people already had at HoT launch, because Anet initially wanted people to play HoT for their elite specs instead of with their elite specs (a position they rapidly, and wisely, backed off on).

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Was hoping they’d change this but looks not, most of the hero points still have you fight champions even if solo. Happy with most of the patch but this bit still sucks, I want to actually play with the new specializations but unlocking them is still a pain.

Most?
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-verdant-brinks-hero-points-guide/
tl;dr 7/11 are soloable

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/26/gw2-auric-basin-hero-points-guide/
4/11 are soloable

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/27/gw2-tangled-depths-hero-points-guide/
5/11 are soloable

http://dulfy.net/2015/11/02/gw2-dragons-stand-hero-points-and-strongboxes-guide/
doesn’t say so assuming all are soloable

so 23 soloable hero points?

The rest require another person altho more people generally makes it go quicker especially if the one other person you are relying on isn’t very good. I’ve yet to find a map that doesn’t help you if you ask or just wait. I afke’d a bit at Notice to Trespassers (it’s pretty remote, there was nobody else here and I didn’t fancy having to come back here in a hurry) and did some inventory management, got the strongbox, mined some ori and then three people turned up and we nailed it in about a minute.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Dromina.5023

Dromina.5023

VB 9/11 are soloable though golem is a bit difficult (vampire is duoable and coztic itzel requires a few more)

AB 7/11 are soloable with ranged class or 9/11 if you don’t get pulled from the shroom and can evade the arrowheads attacks though some are a bit more difficult (balthazar you need stealth or a few people, tengu, arrowhead and shroom are duoable)

TD 6/11 are soloable maybe 7 if you can solo the troll. All others except maybe the shroom under Rata Novus are duoable

DS 7/7 are soloable but (all?) require a successful meta event

so 29 soloable and 37 of 40 are duoable

the most important thing you need to solo them is to have a ranged (backup) weapon, are able to dodge some attacks and know your class. Breaking breakbars also helps a lot.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Quite a few of them just require the ability to stand nearby and press ‘F’.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Personally I’d want all class features to be available from the start / level one, but that’s obviously not happening, so being able to unlock them quickly before getting into the actual gameplay of HoT would be nice.