HoT After the Hype

HoT After the Hype

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I have to raise one major point of concern with the expansion:

Once the hype dies and map activity isn’t as high, players seeking to complete HoT content are going to be facing an absolute nightmare unless they can get other people to help them from their guild/friends list. Solo unfriendly events, champions at hero points and poor low population scaling on just about everything will mean people that start HoT in the months and years to follow will be in for an incredibly tough time ahead.

Will anything be done to address this for the sake of the long term health of the HoT content?

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

HoT After the Hype

Posted by: ShadowKain.9410

ShadowKain.9410

Assuming we can use Southsun Cove as an example (as, in regards to Anet creating content that is specifically designed for grind, it is rather similar) the answer is: No.

This ship is sinking and most of the players that loved Guild Wars left a long time ago. The rest of us will be leaving soon as well. I’d say the rats should flee the sinking ship, but Anet has them all hooked up to Skinner Boxes.

HoT After the Hype

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Assuming we can use Southsun Cove as an example (as, in regards to Anet creating content that is specifically designed for grind, it is rather similar) the answer is: No.

This ship is sinking and most of the players that loved Guild Wars left a long time ago. The rest of us will be leaving soon as well. I’d say the rats should flee the sinking ship, but Anet has them all hooked up to Skinner Boxes.

That seems overly negative. GW2 is consistently rated as one of the top MMORPG’s in the world and has a good population.

My point was mainly aimed at the natural progression of the player population. Sooner or later people will move on to other maps and the champion hero points are pretty much impossible to solo, as are many of the events in HoT

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

HoT After the Hype

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Yes I never understood why mobs don’t scale based off 1 and up. To me it seems they have a fixed value based off 3-5 people then go up from there. I mean yes its doable solo but the amount of health for 1 person is too much imo

HoT After the Hype

Posted by: magicmooman.6409

magicmooman.6409

I think the issue is that once players complete all the hero points and have all the mastery points for a map there is not much incentive for them to return, at least none that I have seen. I hope this will be addressed in order to help keep these areas populated.

HoT After the Hype

Posted by: uller.6528

uller.6528

This is a valid point but the HoT expansion the and needing items the players wont get even some of the rewards for say the class Ascendent items. What I have seen is people moving deeper in to the maps and not going back to the starting areas. So those that need these new maps will have trouble figuring it all out.
I asked random people to help me get Hero Points That I was unable to obtain my self

Ol Crusty Gamer :P

HoT After the Hype

Posted by: Widowmaker Z.4802

Widowmaker Z.4802

I was thinking the same thing, once everyone gets what they want/need, a lot of them won’t bother to go back there. As it is right now, I don’t see a lot of people in Tangled Depths or Dragon’s Stand. Most everyone seems to be focused on the 1st two maps to get masteries leveled and as many hero points as possible.

I basically got what I wanted, the Mistward armor, I’m not going to bother to try and max the elite specs on any of my toons, so I really don’t have a reason to go back.

HoT After the Hype

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

These maps are nothing like SW or DT there more akin to Orr

That said I agree as I don’t see anything that will keep players locked into these maps after leveling. The fact there forced to grind the existing events will probably reinforce that giving people a negative feeling with the zones. I’m already doing the same events over and over again raising my mastery to continue with story. The rewards simply are not there to keep people around. So yes I can see these maps being near vacant once the masses move through they might even end up with fewer people than Orr because at least Orr has the temples. Orr also has smaller events and more waypoints so only time will tell how things will turn out. Though I’m sure people will flock to a single zone eventually most likely the final zone.

I myself am moving deeper into the maps like was stated previously because the events in the earlier maps are too spread out and don’t offer enough consistency or exp so I move deeper to grind Mastery. Masteries will take a long time to level and thus people will natural go to the events with the greatest consistency and pay off.