HoT Expansion Price

HoT Expansion Price

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hrothgard.4863

Hrothgard.4863

I’m sure this has been said a thousand times before, but I’m disappointed with the pricing of HoT. If it was originally $20 for the base expansion or $30 with an additional character slot, I would have bought 4 copies of it pre-release. If it would have been $30, or $40 with an additional character slot, I would have bought 2 copies after release.

However, I don’t own HoT yet, because I didn’t think it was worth the $50 price tag, which is about what I paid for the original entire game.

As this is the 6 month anniversary of the HoT release, I figured they might lower the price by $10 or $20, but… they didn’t. If it would have gone down to $30, or $40 with an additional character slot, I would have bought one copy this weekend.

I’m not here to hate on GW2 or the Dev team. I like the game and I was very impressed with the Spring Update. It’s a great example of under promise and over deliver. Even without owning HoT, I feel like I got a lot of benefit from the Spring Update.

However, I think the pricing of HoT is hurting the overall GW2 community. Keeping the entry price to the new content so high discourages new and returning players from enjoying that new content.

I understand that it’s a business, and they need to make money. So here’s the crux of the issue:
I’ve spent a lot on Gems since I bought GW2. I have a decent job and more money than time, so ArenaNet has gotten far, far more money from me via the gem store than the original price of the game, but not everyone has that option. My suggestion is to make the entry price into the new content cheaper, and let the players decide if they want to spend additional money as needed for gem store items.

I have purchased gems to convert to gold when I wanted to craft more Ascended gear, since I don’t have time to farm the mats, run dungeons frequently, etc. Recently though, I’ve stopped that practice, as I don’t have the new expansion, and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to get cheaper anytime soon.

At this point, I feel far enough behind now that I may just quit, rather than keep playing another 6 months waiting for a price drop. If there are many more like me, ArenaNet is missing out on a lot of new and returning players (and therefore revenue) by asking a lot for HoT up front, rather than less up front and allowing players to choose to spend additional money on gem store if they want to.

Am I alone in this opinion? Or are there a lot more out there who are thinking something similar?

(edited by Hrothgard.4863)

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

It’s on sale pretty much all the time from a verified reseller like Amazon or dlgamer. Just buy it from them and not from Anet directly. It cost me ~£22 and not £50 or whatever the ridiculous msrp is.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I paid $57 on sale at EB Games.. In my opinion its not worth $57 as it has very little story and open world pve content..

Here in Aus it was 89.95 new which after seeing what i got its a little ridiculous in price.

I didn’t even get a character slot which was disgusting with my price i paid.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here you go. One hundred and forty-eight pages of posts from players either agreeing or disagreeing:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/first

Good luck.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: LimitBreaker.4165

LimitBreaker.4165

Months after HoT release and people still qqing about the expansion price… It’s a feature rich expansion and not a content rich one if you don’t feel like it’s worth your money then don’t buy it and don’t complain. I paid $76 nzd pre-purchase and got hours of gameplay and a tonne of fun and it’s well worth every cent. People keep crying about how it’s $50 and that the base game was $50, it’s how anet handled gw1 expansions and that’s to give all previous expacs bundled into the latest one. Don’t mean to come off as a kitten but I’m getting real tired of people complaining about it, like I’ve gotten some people who are like “its honestly not worth it lmao if the expac was $45, I would’ve probably bought it by now” bruhhhh… $5-10 how stingy can you be -_-

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Months after HoT release and people still qqing about the expansion price… It’s a feature rich expansion and not a content rich one if you don’t feel like it’s worth your money then don’t buy it and don’t complain. I paid $76 nzd pre-purchase and got hours of gameplay and a tonne of fun and it’s well worth every cent. People keep crying about how it’s $50 and that the base game was $50, it’s how anet handled gw1 expansions and that’s to give all previous expacs bundled into the latest one. Don’t mean to come off as a kitten but I’m getting real tired of people complaining about it, like I’ve gotten some people who are like “its honestly not worth it lmao if the expac was $45, I would’ve probably bought it by now” bruhhhh… $5-10 how stingy can you be -_-

I could get enough food for dinner for a family of 4 for about 3 nights for the price of about $10, its not stingy, its trying to get good value for your money. That’s why a lot of places run sales to entice people to buy from them.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Maximus.8376

Maximus.8376

I don’t understand why people have to buy from the website. I got my pre-purchase for 35€ from a regular store where I live. I’m pretty sure you can get a copy by now that’s even lower.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

That is NOT how ANET handled GW campaigns. All campaigns remained both Standalone or could be purchased in bundles. You cannot even buy GW2 core anymore. It is very different.

EOTN was the only expansion, and they did not devalue core campaigns and make them unobtainable when it released. Nor did they remove core game features and put them behind an expansion pay wall.

HoT is worth the price only to the new player. For someone who already owns GW2 core it is a very high priced DLC with a narrow choice of actual added World Content.. go vertical and platform or “go away”. They added Guild Halls, yes, but in the process destroyed already earned core guild features.

Mileage varies. I would be hesitant to pay 10 dollars for it.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

You can still buy core, what are you on about?
It now comes with a free copy of HoT which you are under NO OBLIGATION to play.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

HoT Expansion Price

Teofa Tsavo.9863

You can still buy core, what are you on about?
It now comes with a free copy of HoT which you are under NO OBLIGATION to play.

What I am “on about” is in response to the poster who claimed GW was done in this manner.

And a minor correction, a stripped down Core is now the free game that comes with HoT, something that did not happen with GW, the point that I was making. You can still buy a full featured Prophecies without EOTN. You cannot buy a full featured Core game without HoT.

No issue for a new player who is purchasing a full game. I already payed full price for the Core game, and I do not feel HoT offers enough to justify paying the full game price again for content I already own. The actual content added is worth far less than a full game price.

Particularly when part of that content is something I already had, Guild Upgrades, that were taken away and needed to be repurchased. I’m not fond of that type of business model. It is something they have done a bit too often for me.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Actually you can still buy core without HoT, at least until stocks run out at various retailers. I’ve seen prices as low as £15 for a new, sealed, boxed GW2. So if you want a second account and are not bothered about HoT…

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: LimitBreaker.4165

LimitBreaker.4165

I could get enough food for dinner for a family of 4 for about 3 nights for the price of about $10, its not stingy, its trying to get good value for your money. That’s why a lot of places run sales to entice people to buy from them.

Dinner for a family of 4 for 3 nights… Wtf you eating ramen noodles and dividing the packs in 4? Where you getting that from? I want some cheap food lol. $10 can get me like a decent meal. If you’re really holding back from having fun with the new expac because of $10 that’s pretty sad… I guess you could wait for the next expac and get HoT for free? Or maybe it might be $10 more than what you value it as xD

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

You cannot buy a full featured Core game without HoT.

Well you can but not from Anet. But don’t let that get in the way of a misplaced rant.

The actual content added is worth far less than a full game price.

So the new stuff you haven’t played isn’t worth full price? I don’t know where you’re getting your information from but HoT is pretty kitten good and will keep you busy for quite a while.

Particularly when part of that content is something I already had, Guild Upgrades, that were taken away and needed to be repurchased. I’m not fond of that type of business model.

I still have my personal guild for storage and guild banners. I also have a very large maxed out guild hall full of new guildies that I love playing with, something personal guilds lack.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

HoT Expansion Price

Teofa Tsavo.9863

You cannot buy a full featured Core game without HoT.

Well you can but not from Anet. But don’t let that get in the way of a misplaced rant.

The actual content added is worth far less than a full game price.

So the new stuff you haven’t played isn’t worth full price? I don’t know where you’re getting your information from but HoT is pretty kitten good and will keep you busy for quite a while.

Particularly when part of that content is something I already had, Guild Upgrades, that were taken away and needed to be repurchased. I’m not fond of that type of business model.

I still have my personal guild for storage and guild banners. I also have a very large maxed out guild hall full of new guildies that I love playing with, something personal guilds lack.

My “rant” is my opinion. Mine. Something I am not telling you that you aren’t allowed to have.

The difference between an expansion here and an expansion in GW is fact, something my original post was pointing out and you happily ignored.

Carry on.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Season 2 was originally $20 in gems, so the lowest they would have gone was $30. If they did that however, they would also drop the living world and sell it as DLC instead for $20. Consider that HoT comes bundled with season 3.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

So 50$ is too much for you, but making it 10$ less you would consider buying it?

meanwhile youre spending money on gems more than 50$ by now trough the years and you do have a nice job… idk man… i never gave much thought about the price i just wanted hot and all its content on my account and i bought it simple as that.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Dinner for a family of 4 for 3 nights… Wtf you eating ramen noodles and dividing the packs in 4? Where you getting that from? I want some cheap food lol. $10 can get me like a decent meal. If you’re really holding back from having fun with the new expac because of $10 that’s pretty sad… I guess you could wait for the next expac and get HoT for free? Or maybe it might be $10 more than what you value it as xD

I do an american goulash inspired dish which cost me about $3.50 per pot. For 3 nights I times that by 3 and come up with $10.50 (without tax). Btw I do have HoT and I got done with most of the content within 3 months after which all that was left to me was grind.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Daniel.4763

Daniel.4763

I pre-purchased HOT and do not believe it was worth $50. I have four GW2 accounts (bought on sale for $10 each).

I’ll prob buy HOT for one of my secondary accounts when it reaches $25, but only if it comes with a character slot. Revenant does me no good if all my character slots are already full. Otherwise, I’ll exercise patience and see what the next expansion includes, since I’m sure the core + HOT will be included.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

With their future plans i just cannot justify buying anymore expacs, its better to just wait a few years then buy all in one hit.

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Like a wise person somewhere above said – ditch A-net, go for 3rd party sellers. I got my HoT key for around 32 euros instead of 45 around month after it’s release. Not the biggest money save out there, but it’s still ~25% cheaper, so a save.

Try looking around and waiting for an opportunity. I do agree A-net’s current price is not worth it, least until LS3 brings forth additional permanent content. Depending on how well that does we may have something after that, but currently i don’t blame anyone looking for a reasonable discount/sale.

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

HoT Expansion Price

Posted by: Moderator

[There are threads involving this discussion topic already, please continue discussion in one of those existing topics. Thank you.]