HoT File Size

HoT File Size

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

I’m sure that by now, about a month before launch, Arenanet’s devs should have at least an estimate of the file size of HoT?

Some people have limited download per month(not much choice there, 3rd world countries…), So I would like to know the file size.
I might have to download half of HoT during Oct, then download the other half on the 1st of November then start playing or something like that.

HoT File Size

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Dang, what is your download monthly quota?
Currently the whole game has about 20GB so I can’t imagine the expansion be larger than ~3GB (probably much less)

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

HoT File Size

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I’m hoping it’s 10g

HoT File Size

Posted by: xadine.7069

xadine.7069

Actualy I’m pretty sure most of it is allready available.
Beta doesn’t require a beta client, so Imo most of HoT have been mixed with weekly patches.
I think at HoT release we’ll have to DL a regulare “feature pack” not much.

HoT File Size

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2/en_US/html/pbPage.heartofthorns?cid=91:5::::Global:166:::

Minimum specs are for 35GB available on your HDD. This probably includes the base game, since they are bundling it for new players, so you can infer the size of the xpac by subtracting the current .dat file size from this amount (35-22.3 ~ 13GB). It probably won’t be that big, since they want extra space for patching and all of the additional info they want to save to your machine (like screen shots).

That being said:

1. Rightly or wrongly, ANet isn’t going to take this into account when designing the game. If you are able to consistently play an MMO, something that is per se data intensive, they are going to assume that, if you are capped, the cap won’t meaningfully impact your experience.
  2. Sadly, capping isn’t just a third world issue. I live in the SouthEastern US and Comcast caps my data (but it’s just so they can nickel and dime streamers and people who work from home). That being said, I usually just bite the bullet.
Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

HoT File Size

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Yes the minimum recommended space accounts the whole game + extra empty space needed for your computer to run and other functions.
Currently GW2 core minimum space is 25GB, HoT minimum is 35GB but several features that we’ll get in HoT are already in our client, like parts of the new maps, the WvW maps, weapons and armor skins and so on.

I live in Brazil and my monthly quota for download is about 60GB (I’m not really sure because I never reached that) yours can’t be that much lower.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

HoT File Size

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Well, it’s not as bad as it sounds. The thing is, HoT comes out on the 23rd, which is close to the end of the month. I’ll have to keep an eye on how much is used up during the month and save some for HoT. It’s not too far off from November though, so even if I dont manage, I’ll just wait a week to play.

If it is only 10GB though, it’s very manageable.

I live in Brazil and my monthly quota for download is about 60GB (I’m not really sure because I never reached that) yours can’t be that much lower.

Well, you wont reach that alone, but when multiple people share a 50GB monthly quota, it can get there quite easily.

HoT File Size

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

At release the dat file was ~15GB with a minimum space requirement of 25GB, minimum requirement for HoT is 35GB so – based on the ration at release – I doubt it’ll go “that much” higher than the current ~25GB.

The dat file could actually be reduced in size from it’s current level, once the various components that allow for the Beta to run alongside Live are removed.

However, the size of the dat file is only related to the amount that needs to be downloaded when you are downloading the entire thing from scratch.

When updating, the difference between current dat size, and final dat size is irrelevant. You might well end up needing to re-download the majority of the file, due to changes occurring in parts of the dat that you already have.

TBH, it could quite easily involve a 10-15GB download.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

HoT File Size

Posted by: MizuTsuki.5867

MizuTsuki.5867

http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2/en_US/html/pbPage.heartofthorns?cid=91:5::::Global:166:::

Minimum specs are for 35GB available on your HDD. This probably includes the base game, since they are bundling it for new players, so you can infer the size of the xpac by subtracting the current .dat file size from this amount (35-22.3 ~ 13GB). It probably won’t be that big, since they want extra space for patching and all of the additional info they want to save to your machine (like screen shots).

That being said:

1. Rightly or wrongly, ANet isn’t going to take this into account when designing the game. If you are able to consistently play an MMO, something that is per se data intensive, they are going to assume that, if you are capped, the cap won’t meaningfully impact your experience.
  2. Sadly, capping isn’t just a third world issue. I live in the SouthEastern US and Comcast caps my data (but it’s just so they can nickel and dime streamers and people who work from home). That being said, I usually just bite the bullet.

The thing you want to keep in mind here is that HoT ships with entire base game. If you already have base game then I am assuming that your client will simply update HoT instead of re-downloading base game. That being said, I still think that HoT would be somewhere between 2-5GB. Perhaps slight bit more but I doubt it would go in double digits because Anet concentrated on functionality rather than flat out content.

HoT File Size

Posted by: Mitsukai.3184

Mitsukai.3184

I do not understand this game at all … i bought the game with cd and i still have to download the game … wtf??? this is kitten . And i think my launcher dont work properly because it still shows 20547 download size … after 2 hole nights of downloading this game … it start all over again from the “playable” mark … i think i wasted my money and didnt even get to play the game, worst idea ever with this download thing … by the way I BOUGHT THE FREAKING CD SO WHY I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD EVERITHING!!!!!!!! ohh man im sooooo angry right now.