We’re gonna need a bigger post! Just a heads up – this post is long. You’ve been warned! TL;DR: Just read the bold.
I haven’t played this game for a few years. I just happened to watch some press release for PoF a few weeks ago. I decided to give it a shot. After playing the demos for PoF, I figured it might be a good idea to pick up HoT. I haven’t read / heard anything about this game from release aside from a grind that was apparently fixed. I thought it might be a good idea to offer my opinion about the game without any bias from that release hype.
- First and foremost, the passion from the Dev team is really apparent. You can see how well thought out their choices were in the story / maps / battles.
- Gliding is very entertaining, and is also a good spin on a typical MMO trope. The creative use of gliding adds to the experience of the game.
- Masteries being account wide was a really good decision, the grind isn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t want to do this per character.
- Elite specs are pretty fun. I could take some, I could leave others, so it was nice not to see them required
- The new combat mechanics from the mobs were really interesting (shadowleapers, snipers, stonetooth, arrowhead, etc.). I know other mobs have charges and line aoes, but the mobs felt really fresh each zone.
- The new races were really interesting. I cared about good ol’ Tizlak and the exalted.
- The rewards for meta events, story quests, etc were adequate. They added more depth to pushing for the tier 4 or asking in map chat if gates had enough players. In other words, the events / rewards seemed to promote teamwork.
- In all honesty, I think the mobs overall have way too much health or hit way too hard. I honestly wanted to try to get a refund my first couple of days b/c I kept getting 2-3 shotted by pretty much every mob. I know my gear isn’t great, I know there needs to be challenge, but it seriously got to the point where it really wasn’t fun.
- The story quests are not always solo friendly. I’m sure there are many players here who did these story quests solo, but I think it should be noted they were difficult in some instances. Honestly, I couldn’t finish any mission without dying 3-5xs. Sure, I could suck, bad armor, etc, but story quests are solo. I personally don’t want a challenge. I don’t feel more accomplished after dying so many times in a story quest then beating it. I feel more so annoyed at my time wasted and curious as to why everything is burning my face off in a few hits.
- Lay off the champions in story quests – kinda goes along with the above point, but these mobs worked great once I got a couple people to help me. Solo took me ages and I honestly just didn’t have the time to keep ressing to finish off mobs
- The prison in the final story mission is an awful design choice – I was unable to help my team, I had to watch my character look like an idiot shouting story dialogue from the sidelines, and just in general, it was bad.
- Faolin was horrific, seriously, seeing her half torso twisting out of the head part of the vinetooth made me cringe each time. Good job or bad job.. she was a nightmare
- I paid for the HoT / PoF bundle, which was 50$, so HoT was 20$. I really think that price is a fair price for what I got out of the game. The most I’d pay for this game would probably be 30$, so I do think I got a deal. The pricing for PoF (30$) seems like a good choice as well. The initial high price of HoT was one factor I didn’t buy it the first go around.
- One of the reasons I quit was b/c I really just dislike EVERY character in this new destiny’s edge team. I find them poorly drawn / written / just awful EXCEPT Canach. He was not only my favorite out of the bunch, but I think he’s such an asset to that team.
- Mordremoth’s dragon design was awful imo. The art was terrible, his moves looked silly.. he just looked like a bloated lizard Groot stomping around. The concept art for these dragons have been really inspired (hopefully by good). I understand the engine has limitations, but cutting the teeth out of the art to produce some really generic and downright boring designs is not the way to go imo.
- I’ve played a few MMO’s and I’ve never had the experience to play with a dev. On hearts and minds, I asked for help and an A-Net dev joined my party along with another friendly stranger and helped me finish the story. This has nothing to do with HoT, but that was a very unique and notable act for the crew to play with their customer. Thank you
- If the expansion is around the size of HoT, keep the price at 30$ or less
- Introduce new heroes with expansions instead of dragging the old ones through every storyline. That offers a fresh take on the story and if your customers don’t like the previous heroes, they’re not stuck with them for forever.
- Don’t skimp out on the creative monster designs and keep the final boss looking unique
- Keep up the interesting and creative spins on usual MMO tropes (Gliding / Mounts / Elite Specs). The less you tie down your customers (required expansion builds / gliding / etc) the more fun these new features will be!
- Add 2 versions of the story missions – Solo and Group or Storymode and Hardmode or whatever ; offer an achievement for the hardmode or something. With storymode, easy on the champions / number of mobs / and just overall difficulty.
- More Canach please
Hopefully that’s helpful, maybe some other players that are getting into HoT a couple years later can add to this with their own assessment
(edited by TheUndefined.1720)