HoT Maps

HoT Maps

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Starknight.3759

Starknight.3759

Will we ever again have a normal beautiful map?

All the HoT maps are literal hell,filled with destruction and they are kinda pain to watch,all them updrafts and floating land chunks to explosions,various ship fragments,garbage etc.

Fight for what you believe in!!!!

HoT Maps

Posted by: Sir Alric.5078

Sir Alric.5078

Will we ever again have a normal beautiful map?

All the HoT maps are literal hell,filled with destruction and they are kinda pain to watch,all them updrafts and floating land chunks to explosions,various ship fragments,garbage etc.

They are war zones, what did you expect?

HoT Maps

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

It is the vertical maps that I hate. and it is why I don’t like the HOT lands nor the newest Blood Fens or whatever it is called.

HoT Maps

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

Gliding or bouncing mushrooms, has gotten to be a one trick pony. Instead of used for targeted zones so that you can revel in the mastery, it is in use all the time, which imho, kills the enjoyment

HoT Maps

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

I dunno, I find Auric Basin and Tangled Depths quite beautiful.

Verdant Brink is beautiful, too, in a macabre kind of way.

DS and Bloodstone Fen less so, I agree, but their lack of beauty is warranted.

HoT Maps

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

Oh, I agree about the beauty of the areas (except Bloodstone Fen). They are very pretty. I just don’t like to play them.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Gwilym.4257

Gwilym.4257

Agree with the OP here. Once I had gliding the only thing HoT was for was getting the pets for my rangers. I can’t begin to describe the feeling of relief and well-being I always felt upon getting back to the beautiful non-obscure world of Tyria. HoT is hell.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I do hope they will eventually expand the opportunities to play in central Tyria for those who prefer GW2 to HoT.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

I think bloodstone fen is the best designed map in the game in terms of mobility. I have not played another map where it was so easy to move around. It’s actually at the point where it is fun to just cruise around the map.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I already said this in the german forums, but I do hope that not all future maps will have the look and feel of the latest ones. They’re really cool, but they wear on you after awhile. Especially when you glide all the way down to the ground, only to find out that the point of interest you were looking for was somewhere between where you started and the ground.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

HoT Maps

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Verdant Brink is still my favourite map. I find it really amazing to explore. Tangled Depths is filled with beautiful landscapes too, including some literally vertical ones.

From old Tyria I liked old Lion’s Arch the most. While I find most of them nice to view, I can’t see them as really complete maps, because they are too flat… Caledon Forest and Southsun Cove are probably the best maps from Core Tyria for me right now, but none compares to the magnificence of the new maps.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

HoT Maps

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Auric Basin is gorgeous though…

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

HoT Maps

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Verdant Brink is lovely, well perhaps not from an in-game point of view. But gliding up high among, and above, the ruins of the airships is very nice. Great graphic world-building. Something GW 2 does well.

Maybe we will get a more traditionally beautiful map in future, though I doubt it. It would have to fit in with whatever living story/expansion though.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I do hope they will eventually expand the opportunities to play in central Tyria for those who prefer GW2 to HoT.

They won’t, but I’ll bet the next expansion will be more like core Tyria than HoT.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

I already said this in the german forums, but I do hope that not all future maps will have the look and feel of the latest ones. They’re really cool, but they wear on you after awhile. Especially when you glide all the way down to the ground, only to find out that the point of interest you were looking for was somewhere between where you started and the ground.

You do realize that the point of interest if you mouse over it shows you how far above or below you it is.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

You do realize that the point of interest if you mouse over it shows you how far above or below you it is.

Yes, but sometimes you have to be flying right above the poi or the mastery point, otherwise, if it’s placed on a cliff or on a tree branch, it’s very easy to miss and fly by (for me at least). I also forgot to mention the ones that are underground and up in the canopy… those are really difficult to find and as a new player, I got completely confused.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

Yes, but sometimes you have to be flying right above the poi or the mastery point, otherwise, if it’s placed on a cliff or on a tree branch, it’s very easy to miss and fly by (for me at least). I also forgot to mention the ones that are underground and up in the canopy… those are really difficult to find and as a new player, I got completely confused.

Try going down in stages. Glide down to a shelf or a branch and check again. I can’t think of any POI this isn’t possible for. Then you won’t over shoot it.

HoT Maps

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Well, since we’re doing another one of these, I might as well throw my opinion into the mix.

I prefer the HoT-style maps. I don’t get easily frustrated by exploration. Looking for that POI that ends up being on another level is just an excuse to find out where it is and how to reach it. That’s part of why TD and VB are my favorite maps.

The new map is pretty small, but I like the unusual look and the reliance on gliding. The addition of glider combat was a great idea, too. I hope they expand on its use.

The core maps are okay. They all look great, but after doing world completion I really can’t look at those maps as being on the same level as HoT. They start to have the same feel after awhile. Not in HoT, where there are definitely too few maps, but each one has a distinctive feel.

Maybe if I had been around when the core maps were new and played through a current storyline in them I would feel differently. But I signed on after HoT, and the core game to me seems like a beautiful, but fairly generic environment. Whereas HoT maps are like nothing I’ve ever seen before.

I wouldn’t mind flat maps for the people who just can’t stand HoT, but I would be very disappointed if they abandoned the drive to create more vertical maps.

HoT Maps

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I much prefer the new map to the other HoT maps. It is still vertical in nature but is much easier to get around and there is enough room to avoid most mobs if you choose. A big improvement.

HoT Maps

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

But it’s another small map with a whole new map currency

HoT Maps

Raine.1394

I’ve come up with a new name for our current game genre: platformer obscura.

Edit: And I already don’t like the new genre.

(edited by Raine.1394)

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

If you think these maps are like platforming, you need to try some actual platforming. jumping on top of a mushroom that places you exactly where you need to be….not platforming.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I hope that flat maps will make a comeback. I am not a fan of the vertical maps.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I hope we get more vertical maps. I am not a fan of the flat maps.

Just kidding, I like them both. But more verticality please. Especially a vertical city. That would be great.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Ighten Hill.5038

Ighten Hill.5038

Have to admit my favourite map is still Queensland and all the pastoral types. Its not the “Hell and Darkness” I dont like – its just the lack of openness and space in the newer maps.

Though I have to admit as you run around Bloodstone chasing Meta events the maps so busy its like a traffic jam which can be fun

HoT Maps

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I completely agree with you and Galtrix – the new maps are very confusing. Its too bad that so many players have to answer posts of concern by belittling, or saying that the people with issues are wrong there actually is no issue.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

HoT Maps

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

After I don’t know how many attempts to try to find a way to enjoy the HoT maps I just can’t get into it. I guess that style of map just isn’t for me. I really don’t enjoy HoT for the most part. So I just don’t go there anymore as my vote against that type of map design. I don’t want to add to their metrics no matter the rewards. I too hope future maps are more like the core maps and not multi level.

The Burninator

HoT Maps

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I hope they add some new maps with more flat spaces for people who like them. As long as they don’t stop adding verticality too, I don’t mind.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

HoT Maps

Raine.1394

If you think these maps are like platforming, you need to try some actual platforming. jumping on top of a mushroom that places you exactly where you need to be….not platforming.

Googled platform games. First hit was the wiki. First sentence: “A platform game (or platformer) is a video game which involves guiding an avatar to jump between suspended platforms, over obstacles, or both to advance the game. These challenges are known as jumping puzzles or freerunning. The player controls the jumps to avoid letting the avatar fall from platforms or miss necessary jumps.”

Perfect description of advancing the game through HoT. And, the perfect description of HoT. I did add the “obscura” to platformer as I believe HoT has added obscurity as a unique feature to the platformer genre. Usually the next platform is observable and you make the jump to it. In the case of HoT the destination of the next jump is usually not observable and your next jump is to youtube to find out how to get there: platformer obscura.

(edited by Raine.1394)

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

Googled platform games. First hit was the wiki. First sentence: “A platform game (or platformer) is a video game which involves guiding an avatar to jump between suspended platforms, over obstacles, or both to advance the game. These challenges are known as jumping puzzles or freerunning. The player controls the jumps to avoid letting the avatar fall from platforms or miss necessary jumps.”

Perfect description of advancing the game through HoT. And, the perfect description of HoT. I did add the “obscura” to platformer as I believe HoT has added obscurity as a unique feature to the platformer genre. Usually the next platform is observable and you make the jump to it. In the case of HoT the destination of the next jump is usually not observable and your next jump is to youtube to find out how to get there: platformer obscura.

Gliding isn’t jumping. There were always things in this game you needed to jump to. That’s a very different thing than glide to. I could see you saying some of the adventures were platforming. It’s a good thing you don’t have to do them to get most of your masteries.

The HoT zones themselves, you have to do very little jumping. Jumping mushrooms don’t even count as jumping because there’s literally no skill involved bar standing on them. I’ve played platform games most of my life. There are minor examples of platforming in Heart of Thorns.

However, the same elements also exist in core Tyria. Jumping puzzles, vistas, they exist in core Tyria.

There is less jumping in HoT, therefore less platforming in HoT.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

HoT Maps

Raine.1394

Gliding isn’t jumping. There were always things in this game you needed to jump to. That’s a very different thing than glide to. I could see you saying some of the adventures were platforming. It’s a good thing you don’t have to do them to get most of your masteries.

The HoT zones themselves, you have to do very little jumping. Jumping mushrooms don’t even count as jumping because there’s literally no skill involved bar standing on them. I’ve played platform games most of my life. There are minor examples of platforming in Heart of Thorns.

However, the same elements also exist in core Tyria. Jumping puzzles, vistas, they exist in core Tyria.

There are two things essential to a platformer in terms of its definition.

1) Purposive, skill-based navigating from one platform to another.
2) And, more importantly, advancing the game thereby.

There was a heated debate very early in the game about jumping puzzles. They were wildly popular as they had a very talented developer developing and championing them. There was concern that they would become central to the game. Anet assured the players that they would always be ancillary to the core game. They were there if you enjoyed them but they would never be required to advance the game. Perhaps I should offer an example of advancing the game. That would be collecting hero points, general map completion, etc. Now, there always were vista’s and poi’s that verged on jumping puzzles, but I never felt like I was playing a platformer completing core Tyria maps.

HoT is quite different in this regard and I do feel like I’m playing a platformer in order to advance the game. That’s because I am playing a platformer when I’m playing HoT. (Of course, I don’t actually play Hot because I don’t enjoy platformers.)

(edited by Raine.1394)

HoT Maps

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I certainly hope Anet will get away from this vertical, overrun with massive trash mobs map in the next expansion.

The Burninator

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

There are two things essential to a platformer in terms of its definition.

1) Purposive, skill-based navigating from one platform to another.
2) And, more importantly, advancing the game thereby.

There was a heated debate very early in the game about jumping puzzles. They were wildly popular as they had a very talented developer developing and championing them. There was concern that they would become central to the game. Anet assured the players that they would always be ancillary to the core game. They were there if you enjoyed them but they would never be required to advance the game. Perhaps I should offer an example of advancing the game. That would be collecting hero points, general map completion, etc. Now, there always were vista’s and poi’s that verged on jumping puzzles, but I never felt like I was playing a platformer completing core Tyria maps.

HoT is quite different in this regard and I do feel like I’m playing a platformer in order to advance the game. That’s because I am playing a platformer when I’m playing HoT. (Of course, I don’t actually play Hot because I don’t enjoy platformers.)

They’re still ancillatory to the game. And you feeling like you’re playing a platformer doesn’t make it a platformer. I’m not even sure why this conversation is continuing. It’s like you’re talking a textbook definition to try to prove a point. Very little in this game requires precision jumping to get anywhere. Probably less so in HoT than in Core Tyria even.

HoT Maps

Djinn.9245

I certainly hope Anet will get away from this vertical, overrun with massive trash mobs map in the next expansion.

Ever since Dry Top, GW2 has been progressing toward being a platformer. Since Anet has not introduced any open world PvE content since Dry Top that WAS NOT platform-oriented, I hold little hope that the game will ever get any better in that respect. Someone in charge or toward the top in the GW2 team thinks platforming is the way to go. It is unfortunate because this is very niche. As the game gets old and starts losing population it will not be appealing to as many people. This will make it die more quickly.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

HoT Maps

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It’s times like these that I’m reminded of Edwin Abbott Abbott’s “Flatland”.

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

It’s times like these that I’m reminded of Edwin Abbott Abbott’s “Flatland”.

That was an amazing book.

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

Ever since Dry Top, GW2 has been progressing toward being a platformer. Since Anet has not introduced any open world PvE content since Dry Top that WAS NOT platform-oriented, I hold little hope that the game will ever get any better in that respect. Someone in charge or toward the top in the GW2 team thinks platforming is the way to go. It is unfortunate because this is very niche. As the game gets old and starts losing population it will not be appealing to as many people. This will make it die more quickly.

Are you really saying the Silverwastes is platforming?

HoT Maps

Posted by: battledrone.8315

battledrone.8315

not only that, it is platforming on a timer too
the very first mission there took me quite some time and effort, because i really suck at platforming
1: miss those jumps, and you cant progress
2: they even change your skills for that platforming session
i know, not all of the zone is platforming, BUT THE WHOLE ZONE IS LOCKED BEHIND A JUMPING PUZZLE

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

not only that, it is platforming on a timer too
the very first mission there took me quite some time and effort, because i really suck at platforming
1: miss those jumps, and you cant progress
2: they even change your skills for that platforming session
i know, not all of the zone is platforming, BUT THE WHOLE ZONE IS LOCKED BEHIND A JUMPING PUZZLE

There’s no jumping puzzle in the Silverwastes, except for the one undergound they added later. I don’t know why you think there is.

You’re clearly confusing the Silverwastes for Drytop. But the Silverwastes came after Dry Top.

HoT Maps

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I like the few maps we got. But I admit I’d love to have a couple of normal maps without all the huge timed meta events. Why they didn’t do that, don’t ask me. It’s like they were so overwhelmed by the reaction of SW they had to do every subsequent map like this.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

HoT Maps

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Serious question: do a lot of people still play in the HoT maps? I haven’t been in one in ages except DS – was farming Crystalline Ore to buy a Guild recipe for a greatsword (I thought the skin was cool – then I saw what I needed to make it and now I’m all “meh”). I saw one attempt at the meta that failed because there was not, in anyway, enough people.

This is one of the concerns I had about the HoT maps. Once people got what they wanted, would they return? So, the ones that are playing in them, have you noticed a decrease in populations?

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

Serious question: do a lot of people still play in the HoT maps? I haven’t been in one in ages except DS – was farming Crystalline Ore to buy a Guild recipe for a greatsword (I thought the skin was cool – then I saw what I needed to make it and now I’m all “meh”). I saw one attempt at the meta that failed because there was not, in anyway, enough people.

This is one of the concerns I had about the HoT maps. Once people got what they wanted, would they return? So, the ones that are playing in them, have you noticed a decrease in populations?

People play HoT maps all the time, but a disproportionate number are found in AB since there’s a loophole in the meta that allows you to farm multiple instances for loot, after successful completion of the meta.

That said, you don’t need 100 people to do Dragon Stand. You know probably 50 or 60, maybe less. The events scale.

The trick is to use the LFG tool to get to active servers. In the last couple of weeks I’ve successfully completed metas in every single HOT zone.

This week it’s been slower because everyone flocked to the new zone, but I already see people going back to the HOT zones. Once people are doing farming the new zone for what they need/want, they’ll also be back to the HoT zones.

This happens every time new content comes out.

HoT Maps

Djinn.9245

I’m concerned about this also. There isn’t enough game population to split among all the metas on all the maps, and they keep adding more metas. With most of the reason for playing these zones tied up in metas that no one will be able to complete, it will become useless content.

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

If a game can’t field 50 people to do a meta, then it has bigger problems than map design. At least so far, this hasn’t been a problem. Meta event times are staggered for a reason. You can’t do DS and AB and VB at the same time. At any one time there’s only one HoT meta going on at one time.

And people are in fact doing them, even with the fall off from the new zone. It’s like anything else. I still get into T4 servers on Dry Top. I still see people in the Silverwastes. I still can take temples in Orr.

This would be a bigger problem if the megaserver didn’t exist.

HoT Maps

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Going through HoT the first time can be a somewhat challenging but once you unlock some masteries it gets more and more fun. I just unlock the level where flight doesn’t cost endurance anymore and now it’s much nicer and my alts will start with the masteries unlocked as it’s account based. So I do enjoy these maps.

The events, well that depends for me. It’s a bit hit and miss. Some nights there are people doing the events, some nights it’s pretty dead.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

HoT Maps

Djinn.9245

Going through HoT the first time can be a somewhat challenging but once you unlock some masteries it gets more and more fun. I just unlock the level where flight doesn’t cost endurance anymore and now it’s much nicer and my alts will start with the masteries unlocked as it’s account based. So I do enjoy these maps.

The events, well that depends for me. It’s a bit hit and miss. Some nights there are people doing the events, some nights it’s pretty dead.

Yep. I see Guildies calling for help with a meta and others respond that they’re busy with a different meta.

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

Yep. I see Guildies calling for help with a meta and others respond that they’re busy with a different meta.

Funny because none of the metas overlap timewise. You can only do one HoT meta at a time.

HoT Maps

Gehenna.3625

Funny because none of the metas overlap timewise. You can only do one HoT meta at a time.

Well of course you can only do one at a time because you cannot be in two places at the same time.

I do not know if the meta’s do not overlap in time but I don’t think they have the exact same timings on each server instance. The reason for that is that sometimes I’ve seen a meta event happening, I log out and back in and I am on another instance where there is no meta even going on at all on the same map. So I do not believe that all the different instances are synced. So I would think that if guildies are on different server instances that it is possible that 2 meta’s are happening at the same time…just not on the same server. That is assuming your statement is correct. I have no evidence for or against that statement.

HoT Maps

Vayne.8563

Well of course you can only do one at a time because you cannot be in two places at the same time.

I do not know if the meta’s do not overlap in time but I don’t think they have the exact same timings on each server instance. The reason for that is that sometimes I’ve seen a meta event happening, I log out and back in and I am on another instance where there is no meta even going on at all on the same map. So I do not believe that all the different instances are synced. So I would think that if guildies are on different server instances that it is possible that 2 meta’s are happening at the same time…just not on the same server. That is assuming your statement is correct. I have no evidence for or against that statement.

Yep they have exact timing without overlap. They go in order. Dragon Stand MIGHT be an exception if you get a really long run, but DS, TD and VB are never ever going at the same time. And it happens at the same time on every single map as well.

There are NO VB metas happening when AB and TD metas are active, period. There are no AB metas happening when VB and TD metas are happening. And there are no TD metas when AB and VB are happening.

The metas happen at the same time on each server and they don’t overlap each other by design. They don’t have the same meta time in different maps.

HoT Maps

Gehenna.3625

Yep they have exact timing without overlap. They go in order. Dragon Stand MIGHT be an exception if you get a really long run, but DS, TD and VB are never ever going at the same time. And it happens at the same time on every single map as well.

There are NO VB metas happening when AB and TD metas are active, period. There are no AB metas happening when VB and TD metas are happening. And there are no TD metas when AB and VB are happening.

The metas happen at the same time on each server and they don’t overlap each other by design. They don’t have the same meta time in different maps.

Well, then you’d have to explain to me why I can be in the middle of the meta in Auric and get kicked from the game, I log back in in seconds and find myself in Auric without any meta happening at all (dormant) and then I log out and in again to find myself in Auric where the meta is happening but a step earlier in the meta than the one that I got kicked from originally.

This happened to me yesterday.