HoT Music Appreciation thread!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I just wanted to express my feels for the amazing music I’ve heard so far. My favorite is the theme “Tarir, The Forgotten City” composed by Lena Chappelle. When the music swells around 1:23 it fills me with joy every time. <3

I recently learned Lena also composed the “Labyrinthine Cliffs” and “Sanctum Sprint” songs, which are two of my super favorites since the new composers took over for Jeremy Soule. Lena you are amazing! <3 <3 <3

I haven’t had much time to play the expansion due to university where I literally spend 80-100 hours a week on 3D modeling and animation. But I’ve been listening to the sound track while working and I love it. Thank you Anet music/sound team! <3

Posted by: Walkure.9056

Walkure.9056

As a musicology student I share that feeling!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I am going to send Lena this link. I know she’ll appreciate all the approbation! Thanks for posting.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Metricos.5617

Metricos.5617

Agreed 100% with OP. Tarir’s music is lovely. Well done!

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I love Tarir octovine music!!! It really pushes me to try my best the whole fight and coordinate others ..the only thing I miss is 300g for commader’s compendium xD

Posted by: Insiferi.4831

Insiferi.4831

I’ve been a huge fan of music from the Guild Wars series from the time it first launched, and I just wanted to express that these have been some of the most beautiful and immersive songs I’ve heard from a series that I’ve always considered to have a killer soundtrack. My only regret is that there are only a handful of songs up on the Soundcloud so far. Hoping to see more, there are some really good ones I’ve heard in game that would be great for my morning walks. No rush though, and keep up the good work! ^u^

Xenon.4537

I am going to send Lena this link. I know she’ll appreciate all the approbation! Thanks for posting.

Thank you Gaile! You are also amazing too, as well! I still remember a few years back when you personally helped me with a GW1 account issue and you were super nice and quick. <3

I also wanted to add about the Labyrinthine Cliffs song. I love it so much because it perfectly captures the feelings of sadness from the loss of Glint, as well as the fond memories of her and how she helped humanity in her life. And thinking of Glint brings up the events with Destiny’s Edge fighting alongside Glint against Kralkatorik and losing Snaff (I actually teared up at that part in the book xD). It’s very melancholy at the beginning and end which evokes the sense of Zephyrites drifting not only through the air, but through purpose and emotion. The middle of the song makes me think of how wonderful it must be as a Zephyrite to use the sun and wind magic to fly around and be free. I just love Lena’s style of mixing sad and mysterious sounds with exciting and uplifting melodies. I think she nailed it with Tarir as well. ^^

Posted by: Kapina.9012

Kapina.9012

I was just checking earlier if anyone made a post about this, and I think the music is amazing for this expansion. I used to play without sound on but now the ingame music / sound effects are just top notch.

Great job sound design team!

Posted by: Divine Flavor.2016

Divine Flavor.2016

+1. I’ve been loving the music, and the art!

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I looked up the music on internet and had my baby listen to the non combat ones, she has been dancing the better part of the time while enjoying the music… she’s been standing hoilding objects and making dance moves for a while now.

She’s 1 yr 3 months old, but enjoyed music a lot since she was 4 months old (and I found out) . If she’s sad just playing some music generally works better then hugging or cuddling. Well….. Now I know she likes downtempo house/electric and HoT music

I think the music is very nice. I only thinks it’s a shame some of these pieces are only minutes…..

I understand it from a programmers view but from a listening P.O.V you notice stranger things I really need to get used to fadeouts in classical parts… It really doesn’t work for me I can see why it is done from tyhe game’s perspective, but for listening, I feel more music should be coming… but it doesn’t…

I also like the visual art a lot, but this thread is for music.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Soleiya Starbow.7013

Soleiya Starbow.7013

I don’t know what the track names are, but there is a particular musical cue that plays in Verdant Brink during the day….and oh, wow, is it gorgeous!!!! I agree with all of the compliments shared so far for the composers of HoT….they did an amazing job!!!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Personally I think the new composition has done more for the game than Jeremy Soule did. He did wonders for GW1, but it hasn’t always been quite right for this game. The score in the expac is exceptional throughout.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Lena has been knocking it out of the kitten park since the start. She’s responsible for the Halloween and Marionette music as well, right? Just phenomenal stuff. A++

Oops, I looked it up, Maclaine did Marionette and Halloween. Well whatever, all the music has been great. They’ve been nailing it.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

The first time I heared the music in the POI I thought it reminded me too much of FF. Don’t know which one but I associated the music to the serie. Now that I discovered it in game, I totally fell it belongs to GW universe…. it is such nice music.
But more generally the HoT music is without any hesitation the best part of the extension.

Posted by: bananenkip.6317

bananenkip.6317

@Fluffbal a smoking HoT live orchestra version of the marionette music can be heard during the triple-boss in the verdant brink nighttime.

It sounds amazing, and so does the rest of the heart of thorns soundtrack. Incredible music and also more of it than I was expecting!

Posted by: Lighthalzen.5623

Lighthalzen.5623

Just wanted to say Lena and team did a great job for the music in Guild Wars 2 <3
Please continue the awesome work!~

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

This song is so beautiful it makes me want to constantly run up to the throneroom and simply glide over the city all day!

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Xenon.4537

Well….. Now I know she likes downtempo house/electric and HoT music

You should have her listen to Synkro when she’s done listening to GW2 music. Super chill and ambient with great beats.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Most of my favorite games (including GW2) were scored by Jeremy Soule, and I’m a big fan of his work. When I heard he had been snatched away by SOE on an exclusive contract, I was very worried.

Not anymore.

The new music is AMAZING! My only complaint is that I want more of it, more in Maguuma, and more to pad the existing tracks throughout Central Tyria, since even for a die-hard Jeremy Soule fan, the same old playlists get a bit stale after three years and thousands of hours.

So please, keep the new music coming, and the more, the better.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Breut.8591

Breut.8591

Did I dream or is there kind of Jurassic Parc theme in one of Auric bassin music ?
Maybe is just killing raptor that make me heard that.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

If there’s anything that’s flawless in this expansion, it’s the music. Good job!

Posted by: candace.7069

candace.7069

I absolutely love the music in the new zones. It makes me feel.

| Imojiin – Scrapper |
| Ianthe Rose – Chronomancer |

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

I have only 1 reason why to play in auric basin the tarir octovine event – music. Rlly awesome! This is now my second favourite soundtrack in gw2. First is still be fear not this night :-)

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

Posted by: Scrysis.6279

Scrysis.6279

I have only 1 reason why to play in auric basin the tarir octovine event – music. Rlly awesome! This is now my second favourite soundtrack in gw2. First is still be fear not this night :-)

Yup. I’m also addicted to the music in Auric Basin during the octovine event. Am I a bad person for wanting to win a little slower so I can listen to the music longer?

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I would love to know also Scrysis and David what the Tarir battle music is, along with the ending fight music is.

I am always checking the anet soundcloud to see if they’ve put it up but they haven’t yet.

Also kudos to the composer of the HoT music, it’s really really good!

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

Ms. Chapelle, mr. Diemer and everyone else doing the music did impeccable job on the expansion.

To name a few personal favorites: the soft rework of the maintheme, the music from Strange Observations, battle against the Mouth, or the ambient music around Tarir would probably the first things that come to mind, but all of the music done for this was obviously created by a passionate person who loves and understands their craft. Huge kudos to them.

And I second the release of the full score. I just feel bad when I’m hogging server space just to stand around and listen to gorgeous music for half an hour.

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

My heart melts everytime I hear these new music. Thanks Anet!

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Do they sell the soundtracks somewhere? I prefer my own music mixes (each character has a distinct one) but it would be nice to add in some GW2 tracks.

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

I love the music here but I also Loved Soule’s music, Though I feel his masterpiece was the morrowind theme.

Posted by: Sisriana.2384

Sisriana.2384

I love the music! Thanks so much!

#ThisRoseHasThorns
#LettuceLifeOP
#EloniaIsBae

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Definitely agree with the quality of music for Heart of Thorns, very well done. So far my favorite piece, which I don’t know the name of, plays in Verdant Brink. It’s similar in mood to Hope Falls. It’s rather somber, and increases the feeling of abandon-all-hope that seems to be almost everywhere in Maguuma.

I haven’t left Auric Basin yet, so I’m sure I haven’t experienced all the beautiful new music.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

I personally think the quality and diversity of songs has dramatically improved with the release of HoT. Pls keep the new music folk.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Is it wrong that i turn everything to low besides music up as high as possible. I really think you all did a great job with the music. If it is possible maybe toss some of the new music into some of the original maps just to switch things up a little.

Xenon.4537

Did I dream or is there kind of Jurassic Parc theme in one of Auric bassin music ?
Maybe is just killing raptor that make me heard that.

I dunno but the design of the Exalted and the meta event is an obvious shout out to Starcraft and WoW: Burning Crusade. Exalted = Protoss (and/or Naaru). Meta = “We must construct additional pylons!” and Tarir = Shattrath. Which is cool imo because it’s a reference to some of my favorite Blizzard content.

Pylons!

Posted by: nehezbegar.1065

nehezbegar.1065

I just log in to the game and wander through maps just to listen this piece of masterpiece!

And the soundtrack of the last mission. Just can’t handle it it is sooooooo gooood for my ears! Just wish there was a cd soundtrack available in Poland or anywhere

Posted by: Samarak.7519

Samarak.7519

Couldn’t hide the play on the GW1 “Crystal Oasis” from me NOSTALGIA! X1000

I literally started to tear up. I too am not worried about JS anymore.

Thank you Lena!

Loving the game, thanks Anet.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Music played during the Tarir fight, couldn’t find it anywhere so I recorded it ingame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Kp9XK-f7A

If it violates any copyright or anything like that let me know.

Posted by: Reavan.8753

Reavan.8753

I love the hot music, i generaly turn it off in old world but hot is simply more epic with it activated.

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Even though I am pretty upset by many changes in game since HoT was released, I can’t deny that I have really enjoyed the HoT music so much and I’d like to thank you, Anet, for making my experience when walking around in game gazing at its beauty more enjoyable. This sentiment is shared not just by me but also by my guildies as well who also have played HoT so far.

Shout-outs to the composer for making such beautiful music! I hope she finds even greater success with her work.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Although I did get seriously angry at developers for executing the last boss fight, (forgive me!) I did enjoy the music. It’s in my brain as I speak!

The game itself is decent as well.

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Really you did an awesome job for the music on this expension ! Every soundtrack gives a unique feeling to each map and event !

I’ve got a question though, when do you plan on releasing all those soundtracks ?

I would love to listen to it when I’m not playing, just as I loved ( and still love ) listing to my prophetie soundtrack CD and every other gw soundtracks.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

Thought I’d chime in on this as well.

I’ve liked the music for the main GW1 and GW2 games before, but the music really stands out in this game. Love the variety and the subtle nuances and various instruments being used together. There’s one track in Dragon Stand or Tangled Depths I think, out of combat, that’s very playful and light that sounds great. And the DS end fight music is right on.

And… whoever voiced the dragon was great. Especially liked the layover of the multiple voices at a certain point towards the end.

My wife even likes listening to the music while I play! And that’s… just wow…

Posted by: komokoro.7542

komokoro.7542

ArenaNet nailed the music this time. Specially the “Tarir, The Forgotten City”. That music is so fricken magical. I hope they Add it to WvW & EOTM BGM.

As a WvW I never really bother with Gw2 BGM but this expansion is so good.

Kudos ANET.

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

There is one track which I can’t identify. It plays quite often in Auric Basin (not in Verdant Brink I think) as general ambient. It is not available on ArenaNet’s SoundCloud and I also can’t find it among many uploads on Youtube.

It starts playing right at the start of this video (it’s barely audible but its there):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rp1XH_M5_U

Can anyone point me to what I am looking for? Thanks.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

The music, and zones are the only good things I can compliment this expansion on.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I just wanted to express my feels for the amazing music I’ve heard so far. My favorite is the theme “Tarir, The Forgotten City” composed by Lena Chappelle. When the music swells around 1:23 it fills me with joy every time. <3

I recently learned Lena also composed the “Labyrinthine Cliffs” and “Sanctum Sprint” songs, which are two of my super favorites since the new composers took over for Jeremy Soule. Lena you are amazing! <3 <3 <3

Whenever, I heard Tarir song, I immediately thought of Sanctum Sprint. Tarir and Sanctum Sprint are among my favorite songs in GW2.

(edited by reapex.8546)

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Music played during the Tarir fight, couldn’t find it anywhere so I recorded it ingame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Kp9XK-f7A

Thank you.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Music in Guild Wars 2 has always been excellent.

Posted by: Valoofx.1798

Valoofx.1798

+1 for the new Zone themes, they are awesome. And for the first time, i even enjoy the combat music. Great work.

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

Thank you.

Thank you too

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "