HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Good show then. Not paying for things that you dont want is a solid decision. Not sure that going online to make a big deal out of not buying something that you dont want to buy is as solid. To each their own.

Sold my chevy. Commute was too far to justify keeping a vehicle that got poor mileage.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Dear voters. You get scammed by one company, move to another, maybe feel a slightly better treatment. You think a product (or a presidential candidate) being not as bad as another instantly makes it good? Have you considered you went too far in accepting getting screwed over as the industry standard? Could it be you are just too proud to admit you were had too many times, and thus feel the personal urge to overly distinguish your experiences by simplistically assigning them completely binary values, even when they may differ only slightly? And then recommend to other people, based on that? I’m not saying that’s the case, but I’m curious if you ask yourselves these things.

And Ashen, if you come back at me, could we please keep your Chevy out of it this time? Meanwhile, I will take your advice and never pay for HoT. I paid too much for core GW2 and look where that got me.

You have some serious misconceptions as to what content is worth. Yes, it varies from player to player but you take it to almost the utmost extreme. I find it difficult to believe that anyone could rationalize the expansion being $5. If you think that about HoT then chances are you’re disappointed about every other expansion ever released. Especially if you considered the core game to be overpriced.

Now you’re more than welcome to feel that away but not if you make accusations of being scammed. You weren’t tricked into buying both. With such extremely high standards, I suggest that next time you research more before you make a purchase or wait until the price drops.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Dear voters. You get scammed by one company, move to another, maybe feel a slightly better treatment. You think a product (or a presidential candidate) being not as bad as another instantly makes it good? Have you considered you went too far in accepting getting screwed over as the industry standard? Could it be you are just too proud to admit you were had too many times, and thus feel the personal urge to overly distinguish your experiences by simplistically assigning them completely binary values, even when they may differ only slightly? And then recommend to other people, based on that? I’m not saying that’s the case, but I’m curious if you ask yourselves these things.

And Ashen, if you come back at me, could we please keep your Chevy out of it this time? Meanwhile, I will take your advice and never pay for HoT. I paid too much for core GW2 and look where that got me.

You’re absolutely right of course. The MMO industry is digusting in general and Guild Wars 2 is among the best MMOs when it comes to how it supports itself.

I think everyone has the right to stop playing MMOs altogether because the industry sucks. However, best practice is best practice and not acknowledging the best practice for what it is is misleading in and of itself.

Anet has done some sketchy things from time to time (some of which they reverted), but they’re still a company, out to make money, and they’re still going to push the envelope.

That said, we’re still comparing MMORPGs to MMORPGs because that’s a valid way to decide which MMO is better or best in terms of how they conduct business.

Saying that the expansion is too expensive for what you get, comparing it to expansions from companies that have subscriptions is simply a bad comparison. Because you’re paying for those subs even if no new content is released and over the price of your continued participation in that game is higher, even if it doesn’t look higher.

At the end of the day, there’s still value in discussing what’s best practice, or what the better direction is.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

To me, video games are video games. I can’t tell you how many times I spent $30, $40, $50, and even $60 for a console game that afforded somewhere between 10 and 40 hours of content, never to be updated.

I am befuddled why anyone would feel qualms over spending the same amount for 100s, if not 1000s of hours for content that is often updated.

Truly mind-boggling.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

To me, video games are video games. I can’t tell you how many times I spent $30, $40, $50, and even $60 for a console game that afforded somewhere between 10 and 40 hours of content, never to be updated.

I am befuddled why anyone would feel qualms over spending the same amount for 100s, if not 1000s of hours for content that is often updated.

Truly mind-boggling.

Yep, simply divide the cost you paid by the hours you played

For me, it’s easily 100 hours since I bought HoT for $25…. so 25 cents an hour. Pretty good deal there!

Better yet, I’m still playing it and I have a rather large to-do list still before I’m done. I imagine the next expansion will be out before I finish.

EDIT: You can compare to subscription model as well — divide cost by months played. For me that’s over 3 months so I’m looking at $8.33 a month. For many other players it’s less than $5 since they bought HoT for $50 over a year ago.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

(edited by juno.1840)

Posted by: Astra Gi.4065

Astra Gi.4065

I just purchased the HoT and I’m a little upset there isn’t a character slot included. So the only way for me to start a new character is to purchase an additional slot for $10.00 or delete one of my 7. After I just spent $50 on the expansion? I know that back when HoT first came out Arenanet was refunding the expansion price to people who had purchased before a set date and giving character slots to others. I understand I missed the date and had to pay the full price for the expansion pack but no additional character slot stings a little. For what its worth I pre-bought the collectors edition of Guild Wars 2 along with all of the original Guild Wars.

(edited by Astra Gi.4065)

Posted by: gryph.8734

gryph.8734

If you don’t buy the expansion now, at least make sure you log in regularly (assuming you own the original game) so you unlock the new Living Story zones. Some people have already missed unlocking the first chapter for free.

And you just know those are going to be the chumps complaining the loudest about “pay walls.” I’ve seen it already as regards Season 2.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I just purchased the HoT and I’m a little upset there isn’t a character slot included.

Yeah, you are very late with the complaint but you are far from alone with this opinion. I think it is utterly crazy to have an expansion that includes a new profession without including a free character slot to go with it. Many of the veterans got a free slot by pre-ordering but everyone else is expected to delete an existing toon or put their hands in their pockets for another slot. It’s doubly crazy now that HoT includes the instant level 80 booster.

Maybe ANet have learnt from the experience and will pitch the next expansion better. Maybe. ;p

Posted by: akhilesh.9147

akhilesh.9147

I will buy the expansion regardless of the pricing model, because I really like this game, but my preference would be to allow upgrading to the next expansion for existing users cheaper, since we would only want to pay for the expansion, but sell the base game + expansion bundle at the current prices for the new users. If the expansion is cheaper and does not involve the cost of the original game, I would buy gems with that money instead, since there is a lot of stuff to get from the gem store.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I will buy any expansion be cause I don’t give a kitten if I pay 20 or 50€. It’s really almost nothing for me.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

I expected 50% off in price on October 23 2016, because it was an anniversay day for HoT. It did not happen.

I expect 50% off in price on November 25 2016, because of Black Friday.

I expect 50% off in price on November 28 2016, because of Cyber Monday.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: eunoia.7184

eunoia.7184

How long has it been since Heart of Thorns launched? Reoccurring bugs from day 1 still aren’t fixed. We’re talking Heart of Thorns story quest that bug out and require you to restart the game. Dragon Stand meta that disconnects or crash your game at the final parts. Clearly if a half baked product is being pushed into the market, it has to be something worth the price, or even free. Since these problems have been reoccurring since day 1, it is safe to say that the devs have stopped working to provide an experience worth at least 50 dollars. I have 2 accounts, one full and one free, and the only reason I am not supporting with another full account is because I do not think the game is worth 50 dollars, not because of the lack of content, but because the devs are pushing out content that are still falling apart and are not doing anything about it.
If these bugs are happening in the free to play areas, do I care? No. Because it is free, there is no cost or commitment by the customers, but we’re paying a ton of money as a huge player base to support Anet hoping that they would at least give us something worth that. No content? I don’t care, at least fix the game and make it worth half the price. We don’t care for previewing BL chests. Fix the game. We don’t care for limited edition miniatures. Fix the game. We don’t care for fancy limited edition mail carriers. Fix the game. There’s no point creating new flashy content when the base is still broken. If the base is still intact and enjoyable, players will be happy with what they have and be more patient with future problems and upcoming content.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

We? I’m afraid you don’t speak for everyone.

Nor does every player have the same experience. I, for one, have never crashed in Dragon Stand.

Regardless, there is an existing thread about the price of Heart of Thorns. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/page/61#post5164966

Good luck.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

How long has it been since Heart of Thorns launched? Reoccurring bugs from day 1 still aren’t fixed. We’re talking Heart of Thorns story quest that bug out and require you to restart the game. Dragon Stand meta that disconnects or crash your game at the final parts. Clearly if a half baked product is being pushed into the market, it has to be something worth the price, or even free. Since these problems have been reoccurring since day 1, it is safe to say that the devs have stopped working to provide an experience worth at least 50 dollars. I have 2 accounts, one full and one free, and the only reason I am not supporting with another full account is because I do not think the game is worth 50 dollars, not because of the lack of content, but because the devs are pushing out content that are still falling apart and are not doing anything about it.
If these bugs are happening in the free to play areas, do I care? No. Because it is free, there is no cost or commitment by the customers, but we’re paying a ton of money as a huge player base to support Anet hoping that they would at least give us something worth that. No content? I don’t care, at least fix the game and make it worth half the price. We don’t care for previewing BL chests. Fix the game. We don’t care for limited edition miniatures. Fix the game. We don’t care for fancy limited edition mail carriers. Fix the game. There’s no point creating new flashy content when the base is still broken. If the base is still intact and enjoyable, players will be happy with what they have and be more patient with future problems and upcoming content.

maybe you should read though all the release notes since HOT came out to appreciate exactly what the devs have delivered including fixes and new content. As for dragon quest, its strange because just about everyone has completed the main quest line, and just about everyone who wanted to has completed the meta many many many times.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Vayne.8563

I don’t crash in Dragon Stand and for months and months I"ve completed the last story chapter without bugs.

Not to say bugs don’t exist, because some do but that’s true of all games. Bugs exist.

Maybe you should take a look at the list of bugs that have been fixed, because it seems to me that you’re making this a one-sided issue and it’s not.

Not just bugs either. People complained about things in HoT and Anet fixed a ton of them, making HoT more soloable and making it easier than every to level up masteries. They’ve fixed a lot of the issues with adventures. They’ve fixed some of the boss fights at HPs. They even fixed early on how many hero points you need to unlock your elite spec. They did work on things like scribing costs. Saying Anet isn’t fixing bugs is just silly and pointing out bugs you have that not everyone else does is, at the very least, misleading.

Sure there are still bugs. Same is true in any game.

But at the end of the day, not everyone experiences those bugs and not everything listed as a bug is necessarily going to be fixed.

That’s the nature of computer software.

Posted by: Hexd.4796

Hexd.4796

I uninstalled GW2 because of this. Was thinking about giving the game another try but seeing that they still dont care about their original community the game will remain uninstalled. Maybe they will learn from their mistakes with the next expansion.

vesica tempestas.1563

your replying to a post from 25 days ago that’s talking about all the changes to report you uninstalled from your hard drive a year ago? check out the patches thread there have been thousands of changes and fixes.

but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Vandrick Slade.2197

Vandrick Slade.2197

I uninstalled GW2 because of this. Was thinking about giving the game another try but seeing that they still dont care about their original community the game will remain uninstalled. Maybe they will learn from their mistakes with the next expansion.

Same here (almost, I didn’t uninstall, but I’m not interested in returning now). Just now updated my game and figured I’d upgrade to the expansion only to find out it cost more than I paid for the base game and I get a fraction of the content. Crazy.

All those people defending this saying they have to include the base game to bring in new players…Well, that’s fine, include the base game with the expansion. But if you’re going to charge the vets the same price give us more than a useless “Max level boost” (we already have max level characters). It’s at the very least worth a new account’s amount of character slots.

I’m not bitter about it, just don’t find it worth it, especially a year after the expansion came out. I’ll come back when the expansion goes on sale.

(edited by Vandrick Slade.2197)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Same here (almost, I didn’t uninstall, but I’m not interested in returning now). Just now updated my game and figured I’d upgrade to the expansion only to find out it cost more than I paid for the base game and I get a fraction of the content. Crazy.

All those people defending this saying they have to include the base game to bring in new players…Well, that’s fine, include the base game with the expansion. But if you’re going to charge the vets the same price give us more than a useless “Max level boost” (we already have max level characters). It’s at the very least worth a new account’s amount of character slots.

I’m not bitter about it, just don’t find it worth it, especially a year after the expansion came out. I’ll come back when the expansion goes on sale.

Been on sale a few times. Too bad you missed it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe next time.

Good luck.

Posted by: Silverlance.2190

Silverlance.2190

Sorry for the necro. But what’s the sale price suppose to be at? I am returning and I had a look at the expansion at £38.13 aka (€44,99). Seems really inflated for dlc when I already have the CE at £150.

Maybe I am better off ignoring GW2 and giving the €49 to Black Desert. Idk

Ayrilana.1396

Normally 50% off.

Silverlance.2190

Normally 50% off.

Thanks. I wonder if I can get it in Game for less. although they might be sold by now. No way can I justify full retail for small add-on with a base game I already have.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Is it so small? Eight or nine maps, so far; new Profession; 9 Elite Specializations; several Raid wings; Masteries; 5 or 6 new Legendaries, so far; Living World Season; etc., etc.

Regardless, there will probably be another 50% off sale in the future. Or receive ~30% off from many Authorized Retailers now.

Good luck.

vesica tempestas.1563

Normally 50% off.

Thanks. I wonder if I can get it in Game for less. although they might be sold by now. No way can I justify full retail for small add-on with a base game I already have.

you cant justify 5p a day for 24 hour access giving new zones, new skills, new mechanics like mastery & gliding, new class etc etc?

Silverlance.2190

Is it so small? Eight or nine maps, so far; new Profession; 9 Elite Specializations; several Raid wings; Masteries; 5 or 6 new Legendaries, so far; Living World Season; etc., etc.

Regardless, there will probably be another 50% off sale in the future. Or receive ~30% off from many Authorized Retailers now.

Good luck.

I wouldn’t say it was massive either. Really don’t like making comparisons. But I paid £11 in SWTOR and they gave me KOTFE and KOTET. That’s lot of expensive voice acting (even though I disliked the direction the story was going, imo) HOT looks like it’s worth £15-£20 for a add-on. But I don’t think it’s worth £35-40 full retail price.

I heard that they are working on another add on (expansion). So I am little apprehensive in paying something that might be slapped in my face with a new add-on and double the price down the line. I don’t feel inspired to give loyalty
towards a company that gave away (b2p) base game away for free and charging old consumers almost full retail.

Silverlance.2190

Normally 50% off.

you cant justify 5p a day for 24 hour access giving new zones, new skills, new mechanics like mastery & gliding, new class etc etc?

When it comes to money. Yeah. I need to justify it. 5p day you conjured up doesn’t change the price. And this is coming from someone that bought the exceedingly expensive CE at £150.

I don’t feel obliged to pay £35 blindly. And if I was alone in this regard I don’t think there would be so many angry old topics or negative criticism concerning it. I was just late to the party.

And no. A Max-Level Boost doesn’t humble me in the slightest.

It’s great some of you feel so strongly about the game. But it’s pointless to try and persuade me it’s great value.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Normally 50% off.

When it comes to money. Yeah. I need to justify it. 5p day you conjured up doesn’t change the price. And this is coming from someone that bought the exceedingly expensive CE at £150.

I don’t feel obliged to pay £35 blindly. And if I was alone in this regard I don’t think there would be so many angry old topics or negative criticism concerning it. I was just late to the party.

And no. A Max-Level Boost doesn’t humble me in the slightest.

It’s great some of you feel so strongly about the game. But it’s pointless to try and persuade me it’s great value.

Well since you havent bought it yet.
Just wait for next expansion and get this one for free when you buy that one.

Ayrilana.1396

There are some issues with waiting. We don’t know when the next expansion will released or even be announced for that matter. There are people struggling to get their HP’s without trains and even to successfully to complete some map metas. Imagine the difficulty once the player population shifts to the new expansion’s content.

Edit: fixed typo

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

vesica tempestas.1563

There are some issues with waiting. We don’t know when the next expansion will released or even be announced for that matter. There are people struggling to get their HO’s without trains and even to successfully to complete some map metas. Imagine the difficulty once the player population shifts to the new expansion’s content.

You either think a thing is worth it and buy it or you don’t and buy it at a price you do think is value. If you want to get an expansion for free then wait until its free. These are not issues they are choices. If you get a full expansion for free that a very generous offer.

There seems to be a 3rd option this decade – declare to the world you don’t want a thing because you think you deserve x and y and hate W and Z. Also, declare to the world you want that same thing if its cheap/free. So it would appear people miraculously enjoy content if its cheap enough. The reality is some people cant take ownership for their own thoughts and tastes and want to blame the world because GW2 doesn’t automatically match their tastes exactly.

Ayrilana.1396

There are some issues with waiting. We don’t know when the next expansion will released or even be announced for that matter. There are people struggling to get their HO’s without trains and even to successfully to complete some map metas. Imagine the difficulty once the player population shifts to the new expansion’s content.

You either think a thing is worth it and buy it or you don’t and buy it at a price you do think is value. If you want to get an expansion for free then wait until its free. These are not issues they are choices. If you get a full expansion for free that a very generous offer.

There seems to be a 3rd option this decade – declare to the world you don’t want a thing because you think you deserve x and y and hate W and Z. Also, declare to the world you want that same thing if its cheap/free. So it would appear people miraculously enjoy content if its cheap enough. The reality is some people cant take ownership for their own thoughts and tastes and want to blame the world because GW2 doesn’t automatically match their tastes exactly.

Umm.. I wasn’t telling them they should buy it or not. I was just bringing up a couple drawbacks to waiting. They are potential issues because the map metas (mainly the final ones), and a lot of hero points, require more than just yourself. There are people that may not find this struggle to be worth waiting.

vesica tempestas.1563

Umm.. I wasn’t telling them they should buy it or not. I was just bringing up a couple drawbacks to waiting. They are potential issues because the map metas (mainly the final ones), and a lot of hero points, require more than just yourself. There are people that may not find this struggle to be worth waiting.

what i was getting at is that they don’t think the HOT content looks entertaining as it is, so it doesn’t really matter when they get it for free, they are unlikely to enjoy these zones anyway.

edit, and agree this is along the lines of what you are saying, it will be even less likely they will enjoy HOT later when the population has moved on.

(edited by vesica tempestas.1563)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

I wouldn’t say it was massive either. Really don’t like making comparisons. But I paid £11 in SWTOR and they gave me KOTFE and KOTET. That’s lot of expensive voice acting (even though I disliked the direction the story was going, imo) HOT looks like it’s worth £15-£20 for a add-on. But I don’t think it’s worth £35-40 full retail price.

I heard that they are working on another add on (expansion). So I am little apprehensive in paying something that might be slapped in my face with a new add-on and double the price down the line. I don’t feel inspired to give loyalty
towards a company that gave away (b2p) base game away for free and charging old consumers almost full retail.

Then, as in the post you quoted, wait for a 50%-off sale. As long as you are happy. =)

(Just be sure to log in whenever Living World Episodes are live, while you wait.)

Good luck.

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

Normally 50% off.

I guess if you are subject to a monopoly ie: This is the only game you can play… Your 5p a day argument makes sense.
Reality is that Anet is in a competitive environment: If I have to chose between MMO1 at $50, Steam game 1 @20$, steam game 2 @15$ and MMO2 expansion at $60 chances are that I conclude: MMO2 is not competitive time/pricewise!

THIS is what happens outside monopolies – Heck, finding (just looking for) 3-5 indie games on steam beats the “fun” I had with HoT.

TLDR; Your 5p calculus fails when people find more worthwhile entertainment elsewhere.

vesica tempestas.1563

no my 5p was simply the price divided by average shelf life (2 years)

Halandir.3609

no my 5p was simply the price divided by average shelf life (2 years)

Figured as much. In that context a 0.99p bag of chips you dislike and probably won’t eat has an amazingly low price pr. hour (even with a reduced 1 year shelf life)
Makes no sense wasting .99p, let alone £25 on something that you won’t enjoy – No matter how you fraction the wasted money!

vesica tempestas.1563

If I really wanted to spend time calculating the typical cost per person on average per day taking into account the average play time of a GW2 regular player i could (and it may well be less than 5p) your argument(?) is based on someone buying it and not playing it, which was not the context here.

It is more than reasonable to say that if a GW2 mmorpg fan bought the expansion and had it for 2 years then the cost would average out at 5p a day. its not rocket science, you can even amortise (hint).

Halandir.3609

Aww please get off the “not rocket science” horse already. YOU replied to a person who had not bought HoT at full price, looking for a better deal with your 5p explanation.
YOUR valuation in that context is flawed – Trying to divert the flaw to another context is just whataboutism!

vesica tempestas.1563

its not a valuation, it was the cost spread over 2 years to demonstrate the cost. I done an approximate very loose amortization of the cost to do this, nothing more.

edit, see the following, but really what I was getting at then is that GW2 expansions are relatively cheap in the market, poorly demonstrated with my 5p comment maybe.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.playtimePerDay

(edited by vesica tempestas.1563)

Silverlance.2190

Then, as in the post you quoted, wait for a 50%-off sale. As long as you are happy. =)

(Just be sure to log in whenever Living World Episodes are live, while you wait.)

Good luck.

I have the feeling I have missed several world episodes anyways. But it should be possible to convert gold to buy enough gems to unlock. unless gem store is inflated. But thanks for the tip.

[Snip]

Vesica I don’t care if it’s in the pennies. It’s still a lot of pennies. At the end of the day those pennies turn into pounds and then double zeros on the end. It’s awesome deal for new players or freeplayers. But it’s not tempting to old customers returning.

And I see the word ‘free’ be throwing around often. I don’t want it free. I want to pay the value of the expansion and what’s included (aka) not paying the same game repackaged. So I don’t end up being one of those that paid £35+ and continue to pay 30-40 for every minor expansion in the foreseeable future year round.

Essentially I am not committed to handing out £40 to Anet every time they release a new ‘dlc’. A couple of zones, and crafting and revamped lvl is not enough to pay the same game twice over.

And from what I have read from quotes by anet. It looks like they plan to sell all future content that way. Reselling the base game to you twice, three, four, five, six times over. And the price will probably increase to reflect that.

What I would have preferred is buying the add-on individually based on it’s value and not packaged together to amp the price tag.

(edited by Silverlance.2190)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

In that case, you might consider waiting until the very last expansion before the game shuts down forever. Then, you will get all previous expansions for one low, low price.

Of course, it may be a wait of some time.

Good luck.

Silverlance.2190

In that case, you might consider waiting until the very last expansion before the game shuts down forever. Then, you will get all previous expansions for one low, low price.

Of course, it may be a wait of some time.

Good luck.

Well it’s decided going to go with BSO for now. I am not trying to be a cheapskate, if I could I’d throw £150 in Anet every year I would. I’ll wait and see what they do next and then I’ll probably cave in. I don’t think this game will be dead anytime soon. Original Guild Wars hasn’t closed down and it’s 12 years old..

But if this is how the dlc works. I may as well just hold off and pay the £35 and get two included. There is no rush. It’s not like the universe will implode and leave me behind if I don’t follow the herd.

vesica tempestas.1563

[Snip]

Vesica I don’t care if it’s in the pennies. It’s still a lot of pennies. At the end of the day those pennies turn into pounds and then double zeros on the end. It’s awesome deal for new players or freeplayers. But it’s not tempting to old customers returning.

And I see the word ‘free’ be throwing around often. I don’t want it free. I want to pay the value of the expansion and what’s included (aka) not paying the same game repackaged. So I don’t end up being one of those that paid £35+ and continue to pay 30-40 for every minor expansion in the foreseeable future year round.

Essentially I am not committed to handing out £40 to Anet every time they release a new ‘dlc’. A couple of zones, and crafting and revamped lvl is not enough to pay the same game twice over.

And from what I have read from quotes by anet. It looks like they plan to sell all future content that way. Reselling the base game to you twice, three, four, five, six times over. And the price will probably increase to reflect that.

What I would have preferred is buying the add-on individually based on it’s value and not packaged together to amp the price tag.

[/quote]

they are not reselling previous content, they are selling the expansion at the average expansion cost for an AAA mmorpg and giving all previous content for free for those that don’t have it (the opposite is that new players would have to buy all content to access the expansion which obviously doesnt work) For existing players you get the new content if you find it appealing enough to buy. Buyers prerogative.

You can call it ‘dlc’ all you like, but HOT is similar in size and form to every other expansion released by AAA mmorpg, new zones, new class, new mechanics, new instances and in the case of GW2 no sub to access all this. To give you an eye for cost, consider that just 1 developer & tester & designer is going to cost you 1/5 million a year. Then there’s server costs and then all the other costs that go into running a company.

Silverlance.2190

they are not reselling previous content, they are selling the expansion at the average expansion cost for an AAA mmorpg and giving all previous content for free for those that don’t have it (the opposite is that new players would have to buy all content to access the expansion which obviously doesnt work) For existing players you get the new content if you find it appealing enough to buy. Buyers prerogative.

You can call it ‘dlc’ all you like, but HOT is similar in size and form to every other expansion released by AAA mmorpg, new zones, new class, new mechanics, new instances and in the case of GW2 no sub to access all this. To give you an eye for cost, consider that just 1 developer & tester & designer is going to cost you 1/5 million a year. Then there’s server costs and then all the other costs that go into running a company.

Eh, yes they are. They even said it themselves. They plan to sell all content including base game and all previous and ongoing ‘expansions’ with varying prices. How is that not repackaging?

(the opposite is that new players would have to buy all content to access the expansion which obviously doesnt work)

Eh, Yes it does…. least for all the other mmos (Including GW1). You’re saying selling the expansion as a standalone like they did in original GW would not work? Can I have what you’re smoking?

You can call it ‘dlc’ all you like, but HOT is similar in size and form to every other expansion released by AAA mmorpg, new zones

I will. And no it’s not similar size. It’s a few instanced zones. It’s not even a full continent. I agree with Halandir. You need to stop conjuring up explanations. I asked what the price was and the sale discount. I came to a decision. And now I am sticking with it. I don’t recall asking anyone to pretend to be Anet personal accountant and marketing analyst.

For existing players you get the new content if you find it appealing enough to buy.

Correction: It’s extraordinary value for non GW2 players: it offers almost the whole GW2 original content (excluding some episodic parts of the Living Story that anyway, still can be purchased apart) plus the expansion itself.

for almost the same money which cost the game at the release in August 2012, the player get a few PvE maps, some specializations an new skills for the old classes, a new WvW map, a new PvP, the Guild Halls, new legendaries and the “star” of the expansion: the Reventant class. (Which you need to pay additional 10 bucks extra for the character slot)

In terms of features (with the skill/trait revamp) the expansion is ok. But in terms of CONTENT it’s lackluster.

Ok, nm. You think that way. Cool. Sweetie sweetie peteetie.. I am going to see myself out. On to BDO. <portals out> !http://i.gifntext.com/ihgAmbip8G-f-this-place.gif!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In 4.5 years, we’ve been asked to pay… twice. US$60 for the original (at launch) and US$50 for the expac (at its release).

Apparently you don’t think that there was US$50 worth of fun from gliding, autolooting, revamped fractals, HoT Story, LS3, current events, as well as some QoL changes. That’s fine; not everyone enjoys the same thing.

It’s your money, of course. Spend it how you choose.

I just wonder why you choose to worry about how much someone else is paying for the game. Seems to me that your enjoyment of GW2 doesn’t need to depend on whether you got a better deal on price than the next person.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Silverlance.2190

In 4.5 years, we’ve been asked to pay… twice. US$60 for the original (at launch) and US$50 for the expac (at its release).

Apparently you don’t think that there was US$50 worth of fun from gliding, autolooting, revamped fractals, HoT Story, LS3, current events, as well as some QoL changes. That’s fine; not everyone enjoys the same thing.

It’s your money, of course. Spend it how you choose.

I just wonder why you choose to worry about how much someone else is paying for the game. Seems to me that your enjoyment of GW2 doesn’t need to depend on whether you got a better deal on price than the next person.

I don’t mind if people paid Anet twice or got mini pet because they bought it at certain time, it’s their decision. I just don’t want to be included in that number. There is nothing to wonder about someone managing what they spend on and deeming a products value. I am sure you don’t go buying everything you see just because it caught your eye.

Apparently we have different standards. And yes I don’t see the value of content in paying twice over for less content of the base game. If I am paying for the same game twice over at similar price at launch. I’d expect more or equal value.

I am sure most die hard fan might see Max-Level Boost and base game with hot worth it. That’s where our paths in opinion depart.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, have fun in BDO; I hope it meets your expectations.

Good luck.

Vayne.8563

I strongly suspect you’ll spend more money over time in BDO than you ever will in GW 2. You’re at a pretty big disadvantage there if you don’t spend money. You think the cost of this game is a lot, wait until you try to be competitive there.

vesica tempestas.1563

good luck to him, BDO is a pve grindfest with terrible translation/writing, avg repetitive graphics at a distance with no soul (its a classic case of fidelity > artistic quality) and PVP that requires you to spend cash and deal with already established monopolistic guilds.

Silverlance.2190

Well, have fun in BDO; I hope it meets your expectations.

Good luck.

Thanks. I don’t have big expectations. But it’s more open compared to GW2 and Swtor. I pretty sick of instanced theme parks. I researched the game and trial before deciding I’d like to get it.

I strongly suspect you’ll spend more money over time in BDO than you ever will in GW 2. You’re at a pretty big disadvantage there if you don’t spend money. You think the cost of this game is a lot, wait until you try to be competitive there.

So far I’ve wasted far more money in GW2 and Swtor combined. I am aware about the cashshop. And it looks quite overpriced. But I never bother with cashshops. The only thing that seems to be important is having pets. The pack I bought came with the choice of one. You can buy them on the marketplace but apparently it’s either hit or miss.

Gearing doesn’t really interest me or being competitive. So I don’t mind.

good luck to him, BDO is a pve grindfest with terrible translation/writing, avg repetitive graphics at a distance with no soul (its a classic case of fidelity > artistic quality) and PVP that requires you to spend cash and deal with already established monopolistic guilds.

Grindfest? Isn’t every MMO like that? About the voice acting and story. Yep, I’ll probably agree on that one. Not the worst. But I didn’t buy it because of the story. It’s the play style and visuals that appeal to me.

Graphics with no soul? You have to explain that one. I don’t pvp. So that’s fine. I know it’s open world pvp. But I expect being killed regardless and I am not competitive in these games.

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

Wow, talk about the thread that just won’t die. I think it’s safe to say that HoT hasn’t been a success, but you can draw that conclusion from the sales numbers…this thread that WON’T DIE is just further proof what a massive unforced error their marketing and release were. You can’t spin crap into gold, Anet! That lesson seems to be on the verge of costing them a company.