HoT Story and LW3 vs HoT Map Compl

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I haven’t played (really) in over a year, and was finding myself tooling around the past few days, including spending some time in Verdant Brink in HoT. I originally started the LW3.1, and (spoiler) and I was a little confused. So I followed the story until it ported me to a new area, and I started to think that maybe I need some more HoT skills before I proceeded.

So I started spending some more time in Verdant, both working on some map completion, events and the story (through HoT.6), and now I find myself in Auric at HoT.7.

So my question is, do I need to completely ‘finish’ things to a certain level, or ‘train’ to a certain level back in Verdant before proceeding with HoT.7, or is the story such if I wanted to push finishing the HoT story, and whatever zones it may take me, I can follow it along to the end, and continue on through LW3, without having to complete all the maps?

I have Glider Basics, Updraft Use and Bouncing Mushrooms. Real close to getting Itzel Lang. Exalted just opened in Auric, but of course, I have nothing in that yet.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You already have the basics which you need. Each LS3 new map introduces a new mastery to train, which you will need to do in order. They aren’t essential (except the first Ancient Magics which you do need), but they make life easier. You may need a Nuhoch line completed for the HoT Story, but I forget to be sure.

Leyline gliding is another useful one to aim for, simply for the improved navigation in the new maps. You also need it for 100% map completion in HoT. Poision Mastery is also required for reaching certain small areas.

A lot of the Masteries are just convenience enhancements to improve the experience and the maps are designed with this in mind. Maxing out gliding will make a lot of difference to your play for example, whilst maxing Exalted Lore will provide minimal advantages. You do not “need” to max everything out though.

Posted by: Spiral.3724

Spiral.3724

I was confused as well cuz I seemed to have somehow jumped from killing Mordremoth to Bloodstone Fen, and there’s these NPCs talking to me about stuff I don’t recall ever seeing. As far as I can tell, I supposed to go to the raid, Forsaken Thicket, before Bloodstone Fen?
Anyway, now I’m in BF and can’t do much cuz I never leveled up my gliding. Ah well!

Spiral Madheart – Level 80 Mesmer
The Wrong Crowd [bAd] Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I was confused as well cuz I seemed to have somehow jumped from killing Mordremoth to Bloodstone Fen, and there’s these NPCs talking to me about stuff I don’t recall ever seeing. As far as I can tell, I supposed to go to the raid, Forsaken Thicket, before Bloodstone Fen?
Anyway, now I’m in BF and can’t do much cuz I never leveled up my gliding. Ah well!

No, the raid is completely unrelated to LS3. Everything they talk about there happened in the HoT story.

Edit: Now that I think of it most of what I remember is from HoT but a lot of the background to the LS3 story happened in GW1 (Mursaat, bloodstones, the White Mantle and so on). Even more is in the human personal story (Noble origin and Missing Parents) and the Caudecus’s Manor dungeon. There is some more background in LS1 and LS2 so it’s quite probable that some of it may be in the raids too as that also deals with the White Mantle.

As for masteries, you only need gliding, updrafts and bouncing mushrooms. (Higher level gliding is very useful though).

(edited by Pifil.5193)

notebene.3190

No, the raid is completely unrelated to LS3. Everything they talk about there happened in the HoT story.

Edit: Now that I think of it most of what I remember is from HoT but a lot of the background to the LS3 story happened in GW1 (Mursaat, bloodstones, the White Mantle and so on). Even more is in the human personal story (Noble origin and Missing Parents) and the Caudecus’s Manor dungeon. There is some more background in LS1 and LS2 so it’s quite probable that some of it may be in the raids too as that also deals with the White Mantle.

As for masteries, you only need gliding, updrafts and bouncing mushrooms. (Higher level gliding is very useful though).

Kinda related to this, I guess, because of how everything is interconnected?…

I left like 15 months ago, short of logging in every day for a freebie, and recently [other game] was down for a few days due to [reasons] and was bored and picked this up again.

I don’t know if it’s been simplified or made more solo-friendly or just taking a step back and putting fresh eyes on it, but I’m having a blast again, and kinda sad I stopped playing 15 months ago.

But, it’s still here, so I’m back and pushing on, for as long as I have time. Cleared the first map, nearly the second map (I need poison lore and exalted, I think, so finish two points in that 2nd map), and I’m in the third now. I’m taking my time, paralleling the story and map clearing and stopping to get caught up in all the events with everyone.

Tooling around in my Nature’s Oath and HoT glider, looking to blend in with the local vines.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I left like 15 months ago, short of logging in every day for a freebie, and recently [other game] was down for a few days due to [reasons] and was bored and picked this up again.

I don’t know if it’s been simplified or made more solo-friendly or just taking a step back and putting fresh eyes on it, but I’m having a blast again, and kinda sad I stopped playing 15 months ago.

But, it’s still here, so I’m back and pushing on, for as long as I have time. Cleared the first map, nearly the second map (I need poison lore and exalted, I think, so finish two points in that 2nd map), and I’m in the third now. I’m taking my time, paralleling the story and map clearing and stopping to get caught up in all the events with everyone.

Tooling around in my Nature’s Oath and HoT glider, looking to blend in with the local vines.

Yeah, I quit for a few months too but I came back after the April patch when they reworked the rewards, made playing in the HoT zones a lot less painful and removed a lot of the grind. It really had to be done as HoT at launch was pretty terrible, IMO.

Anyway, not that you asked for it but I unlocked the masteries in this order, it seemed the best way of making sure that I could use the various travel options as soon as possible:

Gliding:
Glider Basics - 1 Mastery point
Updraft Use – 2 Mastery points

Itzel:
Bouncing Mushrooms – 1 Mastery point

Nuhoch:
Nuhoch Hunting - 1 Mastery point
Nuhoch Wallows – 2 Mastery points

Exalted:
Exalted Markings – 1 Mastery point

Then I went gliding to the end. After that I just started finishing off the lower level ones in a fairly random manner. It might have made more sense to finish things in a different order (I’m still finishing some of the HoT collections, and some of those require different masteries).

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

You don’t have to do the raid, the story there was mainly just giving build up to the White Mantle coming back. There were some ‘current events’, small updates in between HoT and the Living Story that were about how ley lines were more active and dragon minions were appearing (minions of Primordus, Jormag, and Kralkatorrik). We jumped to Bloodstone Fen because of all the loose magic flying around (Mordy died and released all his dragon magic into the world) and on our way there the Bloodstone exploded.

Hope that helps with clarity!

notebene.3190

Yeah, I quit for a few months too but I came back after the April patch when they reworked the rewards, made playing in the HoT zones a lot less painful and removed a lot of the grind. It really had to be done as HoT at launch was pretty terrible, IMO.

Anyway, not that you asked for it but I unlocked the masteries in this order, it seemed the best way of making sure that I could use the various travel options as soon as possible:

Gliding:
Glider Basics - 1 Mastery point
Updraft Use – 2 Mastery points

Itzel:
Bouncing Mushrooms – 1 Mastery point

Nuhoch:
Nuhoch Hunting - 1 Mastery point
Nuhoch Wallows – 2 Mastery points

Exalted:
Exalted Markings – 1 Mastery point

Then I went gliding to the end. After that I just started finishing off the lower level ones in a fairly random manner. It might have made more sense to finish things in a different order (I’m still finishing some of the HoT collections, and some of those require different masteries).

Thanks! Kinda doing the same thing, but got Markings before Wallows. Working on Wallows now.