HoT boxed version - Hard Copy [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Yes, starting on June 23rd, from authorized retailers. =)

(Note: The Ultimate edition is only available through ArenaNet – in-game or from buy.guildwars2.com)

Good luck.

Where are you getting your information? It’s been confirmed that there will be no versions of HoT beyond what is offered.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Boxed-Editions

That red post is referring specifically to the Ultimate version and also the question of a collectors edition. It states there will be no boxed version of the Ultimate edition and no other editions available beyond the currently available, meaning there will not be a collectors edition that the OP asked about.

If you read the FAQ linked in the red post it states there will be a boxed and digital editions of HoT available through retailers, but not the Ultimate edition:

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027-Heart-of-Thorns-Pre-Purchase-FAQ

Can I pre-purchase through my favorite retailer?

Yes. Starting on June 23, 2015, you’ll be able to pre-purchase boxed and digital editions of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our official retail partners.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

A lot of people seem to confuse ‘boxed version’ with ‘collectors edition’.

As other people have said there will not be a collectors edition with physical items like there was when GW2 was released, or any versions other than the ones we’ve already seen. But there will be boxed copies of the standard (and I assume Deluxe) editions of HoT sold in stores.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

reording to this:
" Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our website or in-game store any time through July 31, 2015"

it will have hard copy release on retail shop? any possible in Australia??

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I may be wrong, but I think I remember ready that physical copies will reach select retailers in the US on the 23rd.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The standard edition will be available in a “boxed copy” version from some authorized retailers. Some of those retailers are engaged in the pre-purchase program. Others are offering a pre-order, which is not the same thing and will not gain the benefits of the actual pre-purchase.

Hope this helps!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

The standard edition will be available in a “boxed copy” version from some authorized retailers. Some of those retailers are engaged in the pre-purchase program. Others are offering a pre-order, which is not the same thing and will not gain the benefits of the actual pre-purchase.

Hope this helps!

If I prepurchase via an authorized retailer will I have access to the betas and character slot? Thanks.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

What are the authorized retailers for this? I’d like to pre-order/pre-purchase but the last thing stopping me is not knowing where I can go to do so.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

As a note to maybe take back to the offices, Gaile:

I’m actually super upset at the lack of a Collector’s Edition-style big box O swag, and would have thrown money at it without reservation. Was looking forward to it quite a bit. I own a CE for the original game and have no regrets for that purchase, but the so-called ‘Ultimate Edition’ for Heart of Thorns is…somewhat weak. I mean I bought it so clearly it was still strong enough, but I have bad spending habits anyways, and I only did so because the Deluxe was an outright bad deal for 75 when the extra twenty-five got me fifty bucks of gems.

I get that digital goods delivery is much easier on your infrastructure, but you really missed a chance to dig those fingers nice and deep into my wallet on this one. My finances thank you but my Nerd Card is missing an important stamp. And we all know which of those two things takes precedence for an MMO player.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Hope this helps!

“The standard edition " Also the Deluxe version right? That is what the Faq says, however the retailers I checked only had the standard edition.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hope this helps!

“The standard edition " Also the Deluxe version right? That is what the Faq says, however the retailers I checked only had the standard edition.

You can upgrade to the Deluxe through the in-game store. The only boxes are Standard.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Others are offering a pre-order, which is not the same thing and will not gain the benefits of the actual pre-purchase.

That’s a massive influx of support tickets just waiting to happen.

Devata.6589

Hope this helps!

You can upgrade to the Deluxe through the in-game store. The only boxes are Standard.

Hmm not so happy about that. No CE was bad, No UE as hard copy was not so nice, then at least the Faq says there is a hard copy for the Deluxe version (or better, it says there is no hard copy for the Ultimate) so when I want a hard copy I am forced to buy the standard edition and then upgrade (that I BTW do not yet see an option for in the game shop) but that is not even possible to the UE.

Posted by: Balkor.2197

Balkor.2197

Hope this helps!

So if I buy a boxed copy from a local store and apply the code to my account, I can then go to the gem store and get the Ultimate Edition there for $50 more?

also can you give us a list of the authorized retailers or something

Thanks.

I used to be a hero like you, then I took a Trahearne to my story.

Posted by: Ignigknawt.7869

Ignigknawt.7869

Wait…so if we already went ahead and splurged on deluxe or ultimate then we can’t get a boxed copy? Or if we do it will just be standard since the deluxe extras are already on my account? I know it shouldn’t matter, but I like to display things

“Many times I’ve wondered…how much there is to know.”

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

I believe, like the core game itself, only the deluxe version will be available to upgrade to if you buy the boxed version. I bought the boxed version at release, upgraded to deluxe for $20 worth of gems a year or two after. I couldn’t upgrade to the ultimate or collectors edition (since it had a boxed version with actual, phsyical gifts) though. Perhaps, since HoT’s Ultimate edition is only digital prizes they’ll reconsider letting you upgrade to it at a later date.

Edit: Quoted the wrong person…

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Based on the way the extra slots are handled, I’m assuming this is the case, but to be sure, if I pre-purchase a physical copy, then upgrade it, I will still get the second character slot, yes?

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

So, for some ill-minded reason, when I saw that I could buy the Xpack now through the game, I did. But then I realized that I have the boxed version of the base GW2 game on my shelf and I would like a HOT box (and probably all other xpacs) to go along with it.

Is there a way to refund the in-game purchase of HOT so I can buy a boxed one from my local store? If not, its cool, just thought I would ask.

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

JustTrogdor.7892

You will have to discuss that with support. You can submit a ticket following the support link at the top of the page.

The Burninator

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

Thanks Gaile this help.

i had check the purchase price from one of the retail store in Australia the pricing is so unreasonable.

price online $50 = $65 AU. but the retail store sale for $90.

my initial plan is even i dont want slot i still prefer hardcopy. but now maybe i need to think about it

Hope this helps!

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

unless things have changed, then as far as we have been told, there will be no boxed version

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

unless things have changed, then as far as we have been told, there will be no boxed version

There will be standard box version but no cllocter.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

JustTrogdor.7892

Yes. Starting on June 23, 2015, you’ll be able to pre-purchase boxed and digital editions of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our official retail partners.

They did however state there will be no boxed version of the Ultimate edition and there will be no Collectors edition.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Boxed-Editions/first#post5156159

The Burninator

Posted by: Reize.2176

Reize.2176

Based on the way the extra slots are handled, I’m assuming this is the case, but to be sure, if I pre-purchase a physical copy, then upgrade it, I will still get the second character slot, yes?

I have a feeling there isn’t such a thing as pre-purchasing a physical copy.

Pre-order yes, but having the pre-purchase bundled character slot is a no.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Hope this helps!

So if I buy a boxed copy from a local store and apply the code to my account, I can then go to the gem store and get the Ultimate Edition there for $50 more?

also can you give us a list of the authorized retailers or something

Thanks.

No. You can only upgrade to Deluxe. If you want Ultimate, you’ll have to get a digital copy and forgo the box.

Posted by: taciturnunicorn.2753

taciturnunicorn.2753

Hope this helps!

When will the upgrade to the Deluxe edition be available? If I get a physical Standard edition and register it to my account, will I have to wait until Heart of Thorns releases to upgrade to Deluxe, or can I upgrade in the Gem Store immediately?

Devata.6589

[Suggestion] (maybe I should make a separate topic for it?)
I guess only having one version at retailers is likely because it’s harder to get them to sell multiple versions.

However this really puts people who want a hard copy in a bad position, there is already no option for them to get the UE simply because they want a hard copy, and if they then as an alternative option want the Deluxe, they have to buy a standard edition and then upgrade to Deluxe (the process of upgrading to Deluxe is also not clear, you can buy a deluxe upgrade with gems, but that is for the GW2 deluxe version).

It really surprises me that ArenaNet seem to have forgotten those people or made the choiceto not cater to them, as with the original sale they clearly did not. GW2’s CE was one of the biggest CE’s I have ever seen.

Anyway, I might have a suggestion. You guys have your own place to sell physical items, the merchandise shop https://www.guildwars2.com/en/shop/ . Sell a CE there, and it does not have to be a CE like the original one as that would be too hard to arrange at this point, but simply use the arts you now use for the standard edition and let it be printed on a metal box. (Remember how nice that box that came with the CE was: https://nerdybookahs.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/gw2_collectors-edition_010.jpg) so something like that but for one DVD. Let the content be that of a the UE and you are done.

Just be sure that announce it at least this week before people did tart buying the Standard edition (by lack of better)

Posted by: Rainiris.1975

Rainiris.1975

Hope this helps!

Any way we can get a list of which are these authorized retailers? I mean, I’m sure Game is one of the authorized retailers, but it doesn’t hurt to verify just in case. With all that’s been happening lately.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Hope this helps!

I bought a hard copy of every Guild Wars game to date.

However, the Guild Wars 2 hard copy is a huge disappointment. It’s a box, two cds, and a sheet that says system requirements and for the most part “for more information, see our wiki!”

I loved the Guild Wars 1 hard copies because of the manuals they gave. Will HoT’s hard copy be the same as the core GW2’s hard copy?

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

What a shame.
After seeing the cool wooden box given out as promotions I was really waiting for a collectors edition.

i know you want to push digital, but I would really enjoy a good boxed edition and not the yawning one we got last time.

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Some people will always complain, I’m grateful for reasonable character slot for standard edition, And i’m more then happy to say Thx for the hard copy for people that want that kind of a thing, personally i don’t mind, but at least people have a chance, and all i can say is THX for taking your time!

In my country we have a saying:
“Be happy if some one offers you a finger, never grab the hand!”

I hope community wont grab the hand now that you gave them a finger ^^

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Devata.6589

What a shame.
After seeing the cool wooden box given out as promotions I was really waiting for a collectors edition.

i know you want to push digital, but I would really enjoy a good boxed edition and not the yawning one we got last time.

You have a picture of that wooden box? And did that contain the game? I could take a gamble and wait to see what Anet offers at GamesCom, but if they don’t (and the release date of 28 August is correct) I then need to hurry getting a hard copy before release.

Devata.6589

Some people will always complain, I’m grateful for reasonable character slot for standard edition, And i’m more then happy to say Thx for the hard copy for people that want that kind of a thing, personally i don’t mind, but at least people have a chance, and all i can say is THX for taking your time!

In my country we have a saying:
“Be happy if some one offers you a finger, never grab the hand!”

I hope community wont grab the hand now that you gave them a finger ^^

This is a completely different discussion, not related to the price and the character-slot. There simply are enough gamers (especially PC-gamers I think) that like to have a CE, I did buy the CE for GW2 so I would like a CE for HoT, it’s not just complaining.

If there is no CE available I would have to settle for a hard copy, but then it turned out there is no UE hard copy, and now it turns out there is even no Deluxe hard copy, only leaving the standard edition and requiring you to upgrade to get the Deluxe version (and it automatically means you can’t upgrade to the UE). So it’s not as much as a complain as a request to find a way to still release some sort of CE or reasonable substitute.

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

I have seen boxed version of HoT but without disc..wazup? Do you want to kill my monthly gb limit?

obey me

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For facts and a list of retail partners:

List of retail partners (from link above):

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/#UnitedStates-physical (drop-down menu for country of choice)

Good luck.

Also, from the facts:

If I purchase the Standard or Deluxe editions of Heart of Thorns will I be able to upgrade to Deluxe or Ultimate later?

Starting on June 23, 2015 (PDT), you will be able to upgrade to Deluxe in the gem store, but the only way to receive the Ultimate edition is to buy it from buy.guildwars2.com or in-game.

So, you should see the option sometime June 23rd (PDT), probably after the patch.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

What a shame.

You have a picture of that wooden box? And did that contain the game? I could take a gamble and wait to see what Anet offers at GamesCom, but if they don’t (and the release date of 28 August is correct) I then need to hurry getting a hard copy before release.

Around 10:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjQf3wzsrLg

Was only given out on these press events. Had some hopes something similiar would be released as a collectors edition.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

So I had a quick look on Amazon. According to the description the “Box contains: code”. So the physical box is just the code to either add to your account or make a new account – no CD/DVD or other paraphanalia?

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

^The boxed version may contain a pamphlet of some sort with summarized info of the expansion, including all the elite specializations, who knows? Maybe the retailers engaged in the pre-purchase program already have it? wink wink

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Physical Edition =/= Collectors Edition

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: BaronSolace.6831

BaronSolace.6831

Hope this helps!

so, not hard copy CE? im asking because i was holding out.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is no physical CE for HoT. That information has been in the HoT FAQ since inception.

The ‘cream of the crop’ is the Ultimate Edition, and that is only available through ArenaNet.

Devata.6589

Physical Edition =/= Collectors Edition

No, but when people look for a substitute for the CE they are likely to start looking for another Physical Edition.

Devata.6589

There is no physical CE for HoT. That information has been in the HoT FAQ since inception.

The ‘cream of the crop’ is the Ultimate Edition, and that is only available through ArenaNet.

Let’s stay factual, the Faq states there are no plans for a CE, plans can change.

Posted by: tamyeh.3741

tamyeh.3741

Ahh, thanks man! Must have scrolled past that.
I guess it’ll just be up to my specific retailer if it’s available or not.
I hope I don’t have to take the train to Toronto just to get a copy like I did for GG:Xrd.

What store did you get your copy at?/Where are you planning to go to get HoT?

Posted by: Xar.1387

Xar.1387

And how about Physical Copy of the final version of HoT? Not pre purchase.
Will it be also available?

http://Aiwe.eu
RolePlay/PvP/Raid

Posted by: Xar.1387

Xar.1387

Hope this helps!

Hey Gaile!
By saying “standard edition” you mean the final version of HoT? This one which is going to appear on release?

http://Aiwe.eu
RolePlay/PvP/Raid

Posted by: melodysangel.3409

melodysangel.3409

Im going to open up by saying that I..Don’t post on the forums, though read them from time to time, so to get me to post is an epic feat.

So, I checked a few times over a few days and under official retailers in Canada was EB games. In fact it was the ONLY retailer (as a note: EB Games and gamestop are pretty much the same store. We just have the one up here)

I go there today and theres nothing in their system. They are currently trying to pester HQ to figure out whats going on.

So I go back to the official retailers page to print out a sheet for said store…and everything under Canada is gone.

Please tell me what happened. Im not able to get the expansion online due to an issue that could not be resolved on your end, Anet (don’t make me jump through those hoops again, its not going to work), and unlike a lot of the posts ive seen lately, this vet wants her expansion (I can see though things. I know that people are not allowed to say how much content there is and I know its going to be more then ‘im done’ after a few weeks. And I want to play with my friends).

Its unwise to eliminate physical retailers for an entire country (and not a small one at that)—especially since it seems it was Ninja’ed last night or this morning—just like the HoT page.

I need to know whats going on. Do I need to send one of my US friends money to get me this expansion—and if I do, can you not see how much of a pain in the butt that will be—for the both of us?

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Edited because it was relevant to Australia not Canada

(edited by Random.4691)

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

They probably just don’t have it set up yet. I wouldn’t worry, it would be EXTREMELY unusually to have a game have a retail release in the US but not in Canada.

Posted by: Icewolf.6790

Icewolf.6790

According to the website https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027-Heart-of-Thorns-Pre-Purchase-FAQ.. It says the following…

Yes. Starting on June 23, 2015, you’ll be able to pre-purchase boxed and digital editions of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our official retail partners. You may also be able to pre-order through retailers, but there is no official pre-order program and pre-purchasing is the only way to receive the benefits of our pre-purchase program, including access to all of the Beta Weekend Events.

And According to this one…https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ...It says the following…

Q: Will this expansion only be available digitally, or will there be a boxed edition as well?
A: Both. Once Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is available, you’ll be able to buy it digitally or get boxed editions at retail stores…

So Im kinda Confused cause a customer support person told me they wernt for sure if they were going to make a hard copy or not. As far as I knew a boxed edition was a hard copy.. So are they going to be making a hard copy or not.. And second ive tried calling my local retailer to find out if we can go ahead and pre order etc and they say they dont have anything for it.. So im really lost.. Can someone please clarify this for me… Thank you again.

Posted by: Lost in Hyrule.2963

Lost in Hyrule.2963

There will be a physical box of the game available. It may not be available yet, but it will come.