HoT boxed version - Hard Copy [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

So… Yeah… Still waiting on a physical copy in America… Or at least an official response on when they expect those will become available from retailers… Or I guess just ‘retailer’ since Gamestop is the only official partner :-/).

Edit: From the wording of the FAQ now… Is physical pre-purchase even going to be an option? It says physical and digital purchases will be an option when Heart of Thorns is ‘available’. Since digital is here now, does ‘available’ mean once pre-purchases are allowed (in which case, the boxed listings are late), or does it genuinely mean the physical copies will only become available for purchase on release?

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

(edited by Dark Saviour.9410)

Posted by: Narsilik Khilsigre.9453

Narsilik Khilsigre.9453

I apologize if there’s a thread or topic about this somewhere already, but is there going to be a physical purchase for HoT (with possible Collector’s Options)? I feel kitten purchase for an expansion would be better justified if I had something to actually hold and breathe all over.
Please answer hastily as I want to preorder the digital copy if not. You have my moneys regardless, but a shiny new CD would be neato!

- Narsilik Khilsigre

The last day dawns in the Kingdom of Ascalon…

Posted by: Narsilik Khilsigre.9453

Narsilik Khilsigre.9453

p.s. The kitten was fifty dollars in numeric with additional signage. That kitten better be worth it.

The last day dawns in the Kingdom of Ascalon…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There are physical copies available in some locations, check the FAQ for a list. But all you get in the box is a code to add HoT to your account, not a disc or anything special.

They confirmed as soon as the pre-purchase started that those were the only options and there will be no physical collectors edition.

Also there’s no rush to pre-purchase, it’s going to be available right up until the expansion comes out and they haven’t even announced a date for it yet.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Jeff.4680

Jeff.4680

I would really like to prepurchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, but the reason I haven’t thus far is because I would prefer a physical copy.

The reason I prefer a physical copy is because I consider myself a bit of a collector of the franchise. I like having something tangible. With that being said, I’m also quite disappointed that there isn’t a collectors edition of the expansion.

So my question is…

Is there any way to prepurchase a physical copy of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns?
If not, will there be a way to receive a physical copy later if you prepurchase now?

Thanks in advanced.

From the smallest blade of grass to the largest mountain, where life goes—so, too, should you.

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

Only standard edition is available as retail box, and basically consists of empty dvd case with a key that you apply to your account. There are no plans to offer ‘higher tier’ boxes (deluxe, ultimate). I’d still wait it out until close to release date, to see if more options open up – you don’t really lose anything by doing that, as long as you make the purchase before actual release day.

If you buy the (empty) box, you can update to deluxe through in-game store, but the only way to get the ‘ultimate’ is to buy the digital ‘ultimate’ directly.

Also make sure if you buy from retailer, you get pre-purchase and not the pre-order, if you want the extra character slot and beta access.

From the thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HOT-have-Hard-Copy/

The standard edition will be available in a “boxed copy” version from some authorized retailers. Some of those retailers are engaged in the pre-purchase program. Others are offering a pre-order, which is not the same thing and will not gain the benefits of the actual pre-purchase.

Hope this helps!

(edited by Kitsune.1902)

Posted by: supermanboy.4592

supermanboy.4592

I’ve contacted the store I bought my pre-purchase GW2 collectors edition (EB Games) and they said they don’t have HoT. I know HoT will be available as a physical copy, but will a physical pre-purchase be available?

I want the physical box and all the pre-purchase goodies.

Dark Saviour.9410

I’ve been wanting clarification on this as well. The FAQ seems to have changed to be somewhat ambiguous.
Gamestop is apparently the only official retail partner, yet they have no physical item listed yet. :-/

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are no physical ‘goodies’ with the purchase of HoT from retailers. What you get is an empty DVD case with a Serial Key on a slip of paper. That’s it.

If you want a physical case, then you can get that from purchasing from a retailer, but don’t expect anything else.

Remember, you can only (pre-)purchase the Standard Edition from retailers. To obtain the digital ‘goodies’, you will have to upgrade in-game.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: supermonken.6347

supermonken.6347

if i get the hardcopy of the hotn how do i then link it to my accound?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You follow the instructions with your serial code. It will tell you the web page to go to. Then you input the code and click the thing that is NOT “make a new account.”

I really see no reason to get a physical box unless you just want the jewel case. You’re not getting a disk, at least not for prepurchase, and even if you did you’d still have to digitally download the bulk of the game.

Maybe that’s why there’s no CE. They knew most people would order directly from them if the retail stores didn’t have anything worth the extra effort of ordering physical stuff. (I’m not saying that’s so, or assigning any negative implications to it, just wondering if perhaps maybe it was a factor in the lack of physical goodies).

Posted by: Reize.2176

Reize.2176

Pre-purchase box is totally different from the Retail box though. So it really depends on what you want.

I’m holding off on pre-purchasing because I’d rather have the physical retail box, and also because im a spiteful little kitten because the suits at NCSoft are the worst human beings ever.

Posted by: supermanboy.4592

supermanboy.4592

Where can I get the physical copy online and have it sent to me?

I live in Canada where the physical copy is not for sale. We have Gamestop (EB Games) here, but since they are the “Canadian brand” they are not selling GW2: HoT.

This is extremely disappointing, I am a big fan of the GW series, I have each of the collectors versions of all of GW1 and 2, but now am not sure if I can purchase a physical copy so I can upgrade to Deluxe in game.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Pre-purchase box is totally different from the Retail box though. So it really depends on what you want.

I’m holding off on pre-purchasing because I’d rather have the physical retail box, and also because im a spiteful little kitten because the suits at NCSoft are the worst human beings ever.

I don’t think in this case there will be a big differece between pre-purchase and retail. Likely both a case with a key in it.

I am still hoping for something more interesting like a CE.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I really hope we’ll get more information soon, because the only way I’m prepurchasing it is if it’s a hard copy. I can’t buy the digital version to download because I’m on a data plan, and I’d rather not have to pay an extra $15-$30+ in overage fees that month on top of what I’m already paying for the game itself.

Posted by: Sandrell.2309

Sandrell.2309

Same here, I need a physical copy because I’m on a data plan and the overage fees would be too much.

Posted by: Xar.1387

Xar.1387

Hello!
As We know, right now we’re able to get pre-purchase boxed copy of HoT from our retailers, but how about boxed copies on release of HoT? Will it be also available?

http://Aiwe.eu
RolePlay/PvP/Raid

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Probably.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Dark Saviour.9410

Hello!
As We know, right now we’re able to get pre-purchase boxed copy of HoT from our retailers, but how about boxed copies on release of HoT? Will it be also available?

In America, I’ve yet to see them available for order.
I want to Pre-purchase. I want a boxed copy.
What’s the deal, ANet? :-/

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Hello!

In America, I’ve yet to see them available for order.
I want to Pre-purchase. I want a boxed copy.
What’s the deal, ANet? :-/

Yeah, I just visited 2 local GameStops today. Both said they haven’t heard of any mention for HoT Boxed copies coming yet. Maybe they will when HoT gets a release date?

NSPride <3

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

I believe that we are seeing the last generation that actually want physical boxes for media content. Today kids are growing up with digital content available at the click of a button; music, movies, games, books. They are all just a click away. Having to actually go to a store and buy a box with the content on physical media is a very out-dated, and very wasteful delivery system. I still find myself sometimes clinging to physical media. But at the end of the day it just takes up space.

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

To those people on a limited dataplan for download with a need for a physical copy of HoT on DVD media:

You only need to have Guild Wars 2 core game installed and if you already have GW2 client installed on your computer then you will only get an extra beta slot (and a title of Maguuma Trailblazer) for now when you register your serial number key (aka CD key) on your old account. If you would like to create a new account (start all over from the start), then you will probably need to re-download a new client as this client will be connected to that new account. Read instruction careful on site for what you decide to do to avoid confusion!

In the future you will probably still need to make up a plan for an extended download (have larger dataplan ready or some other way to download the latest update) when HoT will be released as beta or ready for publishing, so getting a DVD ROM with HoT game on it as it stand for now would be rather meaningless.

Dark Saviour.9410

I don’t think anyone expects the game now, since it’s not done…

How it’s supposed to work (or generally does at least is)
1) Pre-purchase physical copy. You only get a code at the moment that unlocks the pre-purchase item, and which will allow you to download and play the expansion up through a few days post-release.
2) On ‘release’ (or a couple of days prior to get it to you by that date if they want to be nice), your boxed copy gets shipped. That contains the base assets and files the needed for the expansion. There will probably be immediate updates to that honestly, but this could potentially help alleviate the loading for those interested in that.

Personally, I don’t care about installing from disk. I just want to own a hard copy.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

There probably will be a dvd but it will more likely include the original game, giving that they made it free with the HoT expansion, it may or may not have HoT on the DvD also, but as soon as they install it they will have to patch the client anyway.

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

I work for a game store and the only purchase than can be made is for a digital code. There isn’t a physical copy of the game in our system and it is clearly marked as “DLC” (which is a blanket term used for all digital sales).

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

If they offer a boxed version, it would probably be just a little installer that downloads the whole game.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

Posted by: Darkrai.3596

Darkrai.3596

OMG a you want the game actually on the disk? What it this the 90’s. In all seriousness most likely will just be the base game or just an installer, vary little pc games come with the full game on a disc these days as they work on the game up till the day it releases and the “disks” are made months in advance.

Devata.6589

I believe that we are seeing the last generation that actually want physical boxes for media content. Today kids are growing up with digital content available at the click of a button; music, movies, games, books. They are all just a click away. Having to actually go to a store and buy a box with the content on physical media is a very out-dated, and very wasteful delivery system. I still find myself sometimes clinging to physical media. But at the end of the day it just takes up space.

The industry has been saying that for years now, however meanwhile more and more games are coming with collector’s edition and other merchandise. It’s supposed to take place as it’s used as a form of decoration. Maybe people don’t want to go to shops, but there is no need for that, also not with physical copies.

Not to mention that if you buy a game only digital you are always depended on the company holding up their servers. Not that that is reason when talking about MMO’s.

I am still hoping for a CE and so waiting with buying HoT for now.

Posted by: Nicktion.8910

Nicktion.8910

Is Heart of Thorns going to have a physical release in the USA or not? I still haven’t been able to find physical pre-purchases in the USA. All the Gamestops I’ve gone to say that there is no listing for Heart of Thorns at all in their systems. I can’t even pre-purchase the digital. And Gamestop is the only retailer listed as an “official” reseller. What’s going on Anet? The date for the physical pre-purchases was to have started June 23rd, it is now July 6th.

Devata.6589

Depending on the release date they might also be able to sell CE’s at events they visit. For example GamesCom 2015 is just around the corner, sadly it would be too late for E3 but their might be a few other events Anet visits before the release. At least that would prevent them from having to ship it to retailers. And I still think their own online merchandise would be a perfect place to sell a CE.

Posted by: Jaggedrain.6923

Jaggedrain.6923

Guess I’m getting a digital edition. Just an FYI, South Africa is a place that exists and not having it on the list of retailers kittenes me right the kitten off.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Is Heart of Thorns going to have a physical release in the USA or not? I still haven’t been able to find physical pre-purchases in the USA. All the Gamestops I’ve gone to say that there is no listing for Heart of Thorns at all in their systems. I can’t even pre-purchase the digital. And Gamestop is the only retailer listed as an “official” reseller. What’s going on Anet? The date for the physical pre-purchases was to have started June 23rd, it is now July 6th.

I went to two GameStops on Saturday looking for a physical copy and neither had any. I really want that physical copy

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Finnaly found it in germany.
The pre-buy box is sold at Saturn and not at GameStop here.
Interesting to note is that they are sold at 39,99€.

Still hoping for a real physical or CE, though, so I am on the fence of buying it.

Nicktion.8910

Is there any official word by Anet about physical copies in the USA? Or even anything about brick-and-mokittenigital sales? I definitely would like a response. Even a “we’re looking into it” would be nice.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Any Americans found any copies? GameStop’s website still only lists the digital download.

Posted by: FinalEmbrace.2847

FinalEmbrace.2847

I’m not sure if this has been asked before but is there a way to pre-purchase the boxed version of the game and still get access to the betas, etc? I plan to pre-purchase it but I wouldn’t want a digital copy of the game.

Danikat.8537

You can buy boxed versions in some places already. But you don’t get a disc or anything, just a code to add access to the expansion to your account.

Why don’t you want a digital copy?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

At this time, there is no way to pre-purchase the actual boxed standard edition. What is currently available is the pre-purchase box, which is just an empty case. It can be found in-stores from the official retailers, though it seems to be rather rare. The actual standard edition will come later, likely not until after launch.

Posted by: FinalEmbrace.2847

FinalEmbrace.2847

To answer DaniKat, I’d like a boxed version because it’ll go with the set I have of all the boxed versions of GW 1 and all the expansions, and GW2 as well. So it’d be nice to have HoT in with them as well. And thanks Healix for the response. I just hope Anet can see this and somehow give us who want the boxed version prepurchased access to the betas as well.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Why don’t you want a digital copy?

Don’t know about the OP, but personally I like to have physical copies of games because I like having an actual box and disc. Been playing games since the 80s, just doesn’t feel right not to have a physical product in hand, y’know?

Also not everyone has the internet connection to download massive updates, currently waiting on a friend to finish downloading GW2 because the backup he made before going on hiatus got corrupted. He’s been downloading almost 24/7 for close to a week now and only just reached the point where he can log in to check his character while the client streams the rest of the content. Definitely would have benefited from a physical copy and downloading updates instead.

Danikat.8537

I completely understand wanting a physical copy for most games. I like to be able to go back to games months or years after originally buying them and I don’t like the idea that they might be unavailable just because someone’s decided the DRM shouldn’t work anymore, or it’s taking up too much room on their server for them to keep streaming it.

But with GW2 it doesn’t really matter because the entire game is online and you have to download all the updates even if you do have a disc, so there’s no benefit (other than a nice box) to buying a physical copy.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I want a physical copy cause there’s no way for me to buy a digital copy. Don’t have a credit card and don’t want a credit card. I looked into the gift card route and most sell in increments of $20, $50 and $100 and I don’t want to spend $100 just to buy kitten digital copy.

Nicktion.8910

Any Americans found any copies? GameStop’s website still only lists the digital download.

I went to Gamestop two days ago and still nothing. No listing in their system for a Heart of Thorns physical. They did have the digital this time though, so there’s that I guess.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I wish i can find a physical copy since i dont have a credit card and dont want one.

Posted by: Nison.3176

Nison.3176

I want to pre-order the game from a retailer, but I also want to get Into the Beta weekends. Is there a way that this can happen? If not is there a way I can pre-purchase a physical copy of the game trough the net and still get into the Beta(for example if there is any contract with amazon that I can link accounts so it is clear I pre-purchased the game)? Thank you in advance. Would really apreciate if GW support team answers this one.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

This may answer your question

Can I pre-purchase through my favorite retailer?

Yes. Starting on June 23, 2015, you’ll be able to pre-purchase boxed and digital editions of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our official retail partners (additional retailers may be added during the pre-purchase period). You may also be able to pre-order through retailers, but there is no official pre-order program and pre-purchasing is the only way to receive the benefits of our pre-purchase program, including access to all of the Beta Weekend Events.

Note that the Ultimate edition is only available for purchase in-game and via buy.guildwars2.com. Additionally, there won’t be an option to upgrade to the Ultimate edition later if you decide to purchase the Standard or Deluxe edition.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027-Heart-of-Thorns-Pre-Purchase-FAQ

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/#UnitedStates-physical

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No you need to prepurchase

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Make sure you are prepurchasing (full price upfront), as opposed to preordering (usually like $5-10). Only the prepurchase gets you into the betas.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Make sure that you are purchasing a pre-“purchase” rather than a pre-“order”, and make sure that you are only buying from one of the authorised retailers from the official list.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Nicktion.8910

I wish i can find a physical copy since i dont have a credit card and dont want one.

You can still go into a store and purchase digital with cash. That’s what I did. But I think we all have to give up on physical copies until release. I don’t think physical pre-purchases will exist. At least not in America.