HoT confusion

HoT confusion

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kaiju chi.3620

Kaiju chi.3620

Okay I just reached level 80 a bit ago I took a break, and came back started the story progression for HoT. Currently on the third chapter part Establishing a foothold to unlock the glider. Okay so I ran around dying grabbed a couple way points, and died twice falling don’t see any task to do. or any thing really except random events that popped up at night time what exactly am I suppose to be doing to unlock the glider?
In Tyria core game I have a lot of the maps complete still some to do, but so far on them I have had a blast but I’m stumped on this HoT game its so far annoying and I don’t know what to do yet…
How come there are no heart task to do like in the other parts of the game? I just see people standing around at the Maguuma’s breach I’m guessing chatting or just as confused as I am. I came to the forums to see if I can get some help so I can progress in the game.

HoT confusion

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

Do things that earn exp in the HoT maps. Once your exp bar fills up, click on it, and you’ll be able to spend a mastery point to unlock gliding (which you should have got doing the first bit of story).

As for why there’s no heart tasks, probably because this isn’t a really good place for them. Instead, there’s adventures.

HoT confusion

Kaiju chi.3620

I only got 1 mastery point then says I am on 63% on the glider mastery. Okay I’m reading guides now to figure out what to do. Will repeating the story level me for glider?

HoT confusion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There are no hearts in Orr, Southsun, Drytop or the Silverwastes. Hearts weren’t meant to be the main meat of the game. They were meant to keep people in areas where dyanmic events spawn. There won’t be new hearts moving forward.

HoT confusion

Posted by: Lex.9071

Lex.9071

No, Story exp is one time only. If you have finished Storystep 1 with Charakter A, a second run with Charakter B(or A) wouldn’t give any exp for Masteries again.

But you could use exp from several Adventures where gliding isnt’t needed, like Tendril torches Shipwreck Peak Waypoint [&BN4HAAA=]or Salvage Pits Shrouded Ruins Waypoint [&BAEIAAA=]
But it only works once per day, mean bronce chest only gives once per day exp.

HoT confusion

Kaiju chi.3620

Alright when I fill the xp bar full it gives me a mastery point?

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

Alright when I fill the xp bar full it gives me a mastery point?

No you get mastery points from doing story, and achievements. You fill the bar to be able to spend them.

HoT confusion

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If you explore around and join the event chains, you’ll get fistfuls of xp and have your remaining 37% in no time. The first tier of a mastery always goes fast. The chains in Verdant Brink start atop the little plateau near the entry wp, at Faren’s Flyer WP in the sw, in the Itzel village in the ne near the raid, in the central area at the Pact Encampment, and in a cave in the nw reached by some steep steps north of Faren’s across a chasm. They all begin when day begins. You can track when that will be by using http://dulfy.net/2015/11/09/gw2-hot-maps-timer-famme/

Good luck!

Once your xp bar fills up, click the little icon at its right end to open your mastery panel. Click at the right end of the Gliding 1 line to train that mastery. Then pick another mastery from the 4 available types to work on. Probably you’ll want Itzel Lore Tier 1 to get the bouncing mushrooms mastery. You click on the line you want to train and all your xp goes to that one; you can freely swap between them as you wish, though it makes most sense to get all the way through a tier instead of dithering back and forth and never unlocking anything.

HoT confusion

Kaiju chi.3620

okay but I can’t do anymore story until I get the glider , but its like 63% and lol this is so confusing

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

okay but I can’t do anymore story until I get the glider , but its like 63% and lol this is so confusing

Not sure what you’re finding confusing. The HoT story isn’t meant to be run through straight in a row back to back. Think of it this way.

The story is not separate from the zones, it’s part of the zones.

If you needed to kill a monster in a game, and the monster was too powerful, and you needed a special sword, you wouldn’t be able to kill the monster until you had the sword.

In this you’ll need to learn to glide to do the story so part of the story is going out into the open world and leveling your ability to glide. You’ll have to level other masteries as well.

The jungle can be best appreciated once three masteries are unlocked…gliding, jumping mushrooms and updraft use. It gets even better when you go further into the gliding tree, at least for me.

The thing is, the story has requirements which you have to meet to move on in it. Much like in the main story you had to get to level 50 to do a level 50 story. This isn’t really any different.

HoT confusion

Kaiju chi.3620

So I do events that pop up with people and gain xp fill my bar click it then I can unlock glider?

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

So I do events that pop up with people and gain xp fill my bar click it then I can unlock glider?

You do events, you kill things, you gather, just as you’d level in any zone. Anything in HoT that gives experience helps. When the bar is full, you go to your hero panel and the bottom tab. Click the mastery and it will ask if you’re sure you want to spend the point. Say yes and your glider is trained.

HoT confusion

Kaiju chi.3620

Another thing I notice is my bar is like half full in HoT map and when I went to Tyria map it was full so there is like two separate xps for each?

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

Yes core tyria XP and HoT XP are compelely different, as are the mastery points for them. In your achievements panel, achievements with a red marker give you core mastery points and achievements with a green star give you HoT mastery points.

HoT confusion

Kaiju chi.3620

That what I thought just need a little clarification. thanks for the help =)

HoT confusion

Posted by: Protivnik.8907

Protivnik.8907

I have the same opinion. This idea of “progression” is just annoying, and since there are no new dungeons or anything sometimes I log in to play and just forego anything HoT related and do fractals or something that’s actually fun

HoT confusion

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

How come there are no heart task to do like in the other parts of the game?.

Hearts required imagination and a respect for the RPG elements of gaming. So they were jettisoned….

Now you have Adventures! Nintendo styled platform events that have no place in a MMORPG.

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

Hearts required imagination and a respect for the RPG elements of gaming. So they were jettisoned….

Now you have Adventures! Nintendo styled platform events that have no place in a MMORPG.

Hearts required imagination and respect for roleplaying? They were put in the game, as per Anet, to get people to areas were dynamic events were. That’s why they were put into the game. They didn’t even exist in the first two betas. People simply didn’t understand a game without static quests, so they had to put in these places near were events spawned and keep them there.

Anet didn’t add hearts for some bizarre RP reason. They added them to make you stay in one place long enough for an event to spawn.

HoT confusion

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

Hearts required imagination and respect for roleplaying? They were put in the game, as per Anet, to get people to areas were dynamic events were. That’s why they were put into the game. They didn’t even exist in the first two betas. People simply didn’t understand a game without static quests, so they had to put in these places near were events spawned and keep them there.

Anet didn’t add hearts for some bizarre RP reason. They added them to make you stay in one place long enough for an event to spawn.

All of this. Also, there aren’t any hearts in HoT because there are constantly events all over maps and we are entering into enemy territory and we don’t have any permanent settlements here so it would make less sense to have Heart objectives.

HoT confusion

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t think the poster you replied to was talking about why ANet added them. Just about what they required.

Also, I don’t necessarily believe ANet anymore when they tell us why they do things.

HoT confusion

Kaiju chi.3620

Okay I finally got the glider by doing some events, and the random things around the map, and started a story quest. I keep dying over and over again to this packs of mobs and I got a network error msg that kicked me to the character select screen which kinda sucked… so far my experience in HoT is been terrible I feel like annoyed and as if I’m not even playing much of a game idk what I am doing wrong maybe my necromancer is to squishy… I was being hit twice and died 22k hp too I really need some help am I able to the story with help or is it solo only?

HoT confusion

Soon.5240

I don’t think the poster you replied to was talking about why ANet added them. Just about what they required.

Also, I don’t necessarily believe ANet anymore when they tell us why they do things.

Vayne,

I’m sure you will acknowledge, if you think about it for a moment, that the Hearts in the central Tyria maps were ways of introducing the Lore of Tyria into game play. That’s all I meant.

Hearts are typically centered around thwarting the Dredge, something funny happening with the Skritt, snobbish Asura scientist conducting research, etc.

I enjoy this. I enjoyed taking a new profession from Map 1 to the Cured Shore (I only tome leveled on profession and then deleted it and swore to never do it again). I enjoy the funny remarks that the NPC make to each other.

If that is not your cup of tea, then so be it. If you are happy that all of this is absent in HoT, and most probably all future content, then great for you.

But I’m sure there are many others who enjoy the charming RPG elements of the base maps and miss them in the “expansion”.

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

Vayne,

I’m sure you will acknowledge, if you think about it for a moment, that the Hearts in the central Tyria maps were ways of introducing the Lore of Tyria into game play. That’s all I meant.

Hearts are typically centered around thwarting the Dredge, something funny happening with the Skritt, snobbish Asura scientist conducting research, etc.

I enjoy this. I enjoyed taking a new profession from Map 1 to the Cured Shore (I only tome leveled on profession and then deleted it and swore to never do it again). I enjoy the funny remarks that the NPC make to each other.

If that is not your cup of tea, then so be it. If you are happy that all of this is absent in HoT, and most probably all future content, then great for you.

But I’m sure there are many others who enjoy the charming RPG elements of the base maps and miss them in the “expansion”.

Actually I played Guild Wars 2 before hearts, in the beta, and I don’t think they introduced anything of the type. That’s my point. I think that ambient dialogue and the events and paying attention to NPCs introduced more or less the same amount of lore, albeit in far less hand held manor.

See, I’m an immersion player. Hearts to me break immersion. They’re bad for my internal roleplay. So are vistas and points of interest really and for a long time, I played with those map markers turned off, so I could immerse myself in a world, instead of following symbols on a map that doesn’t even really exist to my character.

My character wouldn’t see a heart. My character would see a person who needs help. The mark on the map to me, or the need to fulfill this as part of something to complete a zone detracts from my role play, it doesn’t add to it.

I want to wander the world in a more organic fashion and to me, hearts go against that.

Actually that’s my big complaint about this game from early one. I expected it to be and wanted it to be more immersive, but the systems put in the game pretty much everywhere just turn it into a giant checklist.

I adapted and gave up on those expectations early and and hearts were one of the reasons.

HoT confusion

Soon.5240

@Vayne,
If you are such an immersive role player, how is it that you are such an uber defender of HoT maps? I’m truly interested, and not being snarky. Surly you don’t find them to be immersive.

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

@Vayne,
If you are such an immersive role player, how is it that you are such an uber defender of HoT maps? I’m truly interested, and not being snarky. Surly you don’t find them to be immersive.

I find them to be the most immersive maps in the game. That’s because I’m not going out of the game to seek out a timer.

HoT to me is a war zone. I’m not focused on rewards, I’m focused on immersion. So when I’m in Verdant Brink, defending a camp at night, it’s because my character really is fighting of modrem to protect the camp. That makes it immersive. There’s a sense of urgency that very little in the core game can match.

I’ve said before, several times on the forums that I like Straits of Devestation and Hirathi Hinterlands as maps because it’s not as much about “boss” fights, which are contrived, and more about open warfare.

When you fight a boss, he has half a dozen moves and they repeat over and over. When I’m fighting 50 centaurs, I’m fighting 50 centaurs. I’m not seeing the same repetitive attack from one guy. I’m reacting to multiple attacks all around me.

When I go into HoT, I’m going into Mordremoth’s territory and I’m completely immersed in that, because it FEELS like mordremoth’s territory. There are very few areas in the game I get that feeling from.

Clearly if I were driven by rewards and I just looked up event timers, the zones would feel different.

HoT confusion

Posted by: Tiburon.8634

Tiburon.8634

No, Story exp is one time only.

It wasn’t when HoT launched. I ran several characters through the prologue with a friend to get our characters into the new map and leveled up the glider almost to max. Made things much more user friendly.

HoT confusion

Posted by: Tiburon.8634

Tiburon.8634

am I able to the story with help or is it solo only?

You can do the story with other people. Solo is pretty rough at first until you understand the different kinds of attacks you can do. I’d also recommend going with tizlak instead of helping defend the itzel village when you’re on that mission.

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

No, Story exp is one time only.

It wasn’t when HoT launched. I ran several characters through the prologue with a friend to get our characters into the new map and leveled up the glider almost to max. Made things much more user friendly.

It still isn’t. I get XP from doing stories on different characters.

HoT confusion

Kaiju chi.3620

Okay, how come i have 75-100 fps in the Tyria maps, but in HoT map I had 15-45 fps?

HoT confusion

Posted by: TimHellen.5903

TimHellen.5903

Once I’ve maxed out a mastery track, is there supposed to be some kind of alert or notification? Cos there have been quite a few times when I had no idea I already maxed one out and just kept on doing stuff, wasting EXP collected.

If it wasn’t for the occasionally opening of the mastery window, I wouldn’t have known I could put the points in already.

HoT confusion

Vayne.8563

Once I’ve maxed out a mastery track, is there supposed to be some kind of alert or notification? Cos there have been quite a few times when I had no idea I already maxed one out and just kept on doing stuff, wasting EXP collected.

If it wasn’t for the occasionally opening of the mastery window, I wouldn’t have known I could put the points in already.

When the yellow bar on the bottom of your screen is full, it’s done. It usually flashes from white to yellow to white again, but it’s sort of hard to see if you’re not looking for it.