HoT discount for veteran players?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lustre Of Havoc.9173

Lustre Of Havoc.9173

I thought there was going to be something like this. I’ve been around since the first few months of Guild Wars: Prophecies, which is 10+ years. I heard a couple devs say they were thinking about giving long time players some kind of discount. Is that not going to happen now? Especially since there weren’t supposed to be expansions in the first place, I think there needs to be some kind of compensation for letting us down in that regard. I was excited when you guys had originally said you’d release a little bit at a time, every two weeks or so, to the living story. It was an amazing idea and I still think it’s something worth doing. It just brings me back to the first Guild Wars, when we were waiting to get the next campaign, and instead of waiting 6 months, we waited a year for a small expansion, and 5 years after that for a whole different game.

I love the stuff that you guys create, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t like that you constantly change your mind about what you’re going to do. I think it’s fine that you think of something new, but when you tell us your plan, and THEN change it? Why not think things through first, before you tell us what’s going to happen and get our hopes up.

I don’t want to pay $50 for something that wasn’t supposed to exist in the first place.

“The knack to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss” —HHGG

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If only the planet Earth wasn’t such a horrible place nowadays we could. Just have to wait till it goes on sale sometime after release for cheaper or move to a better planet. Digital games are cheap to produce so once the hype dies down they’ll have a throwaway sale eventually like everyone does.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

Personally i think the solution is rather easy: give existing players the option to convert their extra game copy into gems or to gift it.

since the game is apparently kitten value, allow players the chance to turn it into $50 of gems. (have this done by an in-game npc to prevent people buying it for the first time from accidentally turning their game into currency they can’t use) so that this way you’re either: A – buying HoT and you get 4000 gems free, or B – You’re Buying $50 of gems and you are also getting HoT free. either way this is a good solution. you have the means to get a character slot in addition to anything else you’d like, and people who already have another character slot wont get jipped. (since the base game is apparently ‘free with purchase’ it won’t hurt Anets profits in any way) and this also makes Ultimate more appealing given the $100 in-game value, HoT + Swag

the one down side would be a rather immediate economy crash if people decide to convert gems to gold, but meh. Anets dealt with in-game economy emergencies before.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They didn’t say there wouldn’t be expansions. They said that if the Living Story worked out they wouldn’t need to do expansions. Obviously then, the Living Story didn’t work out so now there is an expansion.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Lustre Of Havoc.9173

They didn’t say there wouldn’t be expansions. They said that if the Living Story worked out they wouldn’t need to do expansions. Obviously then, the Living Story didn’t work out so now there is an expansion.

They DID say there wasn’t going to be expansions. If you had been following the game since they first announced it 8 years ago, they did say it at one point, because it was one of the main reasons I was very excited about the game.

Posted by: GeekDavid.2786

GeekDavid.2786

Personally i think the solution is rather easy: give existing players the option to convert their extra game copy into gems or to gift it.

since the game is apparently kitten value, allow players the chance to turn it into $50 of gems. (have this done by an in-game npc to prevent people buying it for the first time from accidentally turning their game into currency they can’t use) so that this way you’re either: A – buying HoT and you get 4000 gems free, or B – You’re Buying $50 of gems and you are also getting HoT free. either way this is a good solution. you have the means to get a character slot in addition to anything else you’d like, and people who already have another character slot wont get jipped. (since the base game is apparently ‘free with purchase’ it won’t hurt Anets profits in any way) and this also makes Ultimate more appealing given the $100 in-game value, HoT + Swag

the one down side would be a rather immediate economy crash if people decide to convert gems to gold, but meh. Anets dealt with in-game economy emergencies before.

The effects to the economy could be smoothed a little if they said you can only spend X amount of the “HoT” gems in a given time period, like a day. Spread it out over a few weeks or so.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Make no mistake. Unless some huge reveal proves to me the expansion is actually worth a full $50, I WILL get a discount (when they eventually put it on sale at some point in the future).

The one good thing about no subscription is I don’t have to play (or pay) anything I don’t want.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

And bc living story dindt worked out well, they called ls3 a heart of thorns. Legit

obey me

Lustre Of Havoc.9173

Living Story was working fine. People were just whining a lot because they wanted more content. 90% of the players don’t actually understand how much work it takes to create and code this type of content. So when people complain that they barely got any content after two weeks, it just makes me angry at their ignorance.