HoT expansion installation dilemma

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

I plan to buy HoT next week but wether to do so physically or through internet I’m not sure.
My table computer has GW2 I can play so I suppose it “has” HoT in it.
But my laptop doesn’t have anything, and regular GW2 discs are supposedly 300 km away wich is, of course, pain in the butt to get. Or maybe thrown away or packed somewhere sun doesn’t shine.
Wildstar works on my laptop, I think GW2 will too. Also WoW has been once on it. (but removed ever since)

So, the question is, will the download be faster through physical disc, or through internet, since the disc might actually contain all the “updates” until now?

What to do?

EDIT: thank you for replies!

(edited by Pockethole.5031)

Posted by: Kakera.3195

Kakera.3195

Digital download is almost always the quickest and best way to go nowadays. Discs can get lost, destroyed, etc. and also, when you install from the net, you instantly get the latest patch, or should get. It’s not really the case from the disc. Not to mention, if you buy digitally, you can get in on sales from other websites, if you’re tight on money.

If your post starts with “how dare” then you can be assured I’ll disregard it.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You can load the DAT file onto a flash drive and move it to your laptop. Saves bandwidth if that is an issue also should be a lot faster.
Then just use the code to upgrade, there is no difference in the programme.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you can connect your laptop to your desktop, or have a flash drive or something that can hold 25GB the quickest way would be to copy the .dat file from one to the other.

I don’t think there is an actual physical version of HoT – I think the boxed copies are actually just codes to add it to your account or create a new one and then you have to download it. The only copies on disc are from way back when GW2 first came out and there’s been so many updates since then I doubt installing it from a CD would make any difference because so much of it would have to be over written by downloaded updates.

So basically the only reason to buy a physical copy is if you can find it cheaper.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Yup, HoT box is empty except for a code so either download it all or copy the .DAT file as described above.

If you are going to download it then you can start your laptop going right now using your GW2 account. The download is the same as for HoT so you’d be ready to play when you get the HoT code (and you can see how well GW2 runs on your laptop).

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Most MMO games (or the like) sold now a days in a store front are really nothing more than maybe the installation files on a CD and a code to say you bought it. The first time you hook into the games portal there are always updates and the rest of the files to download. So like someone else said – unless you can find a boxed copy that is less than the online price it may just be easier to buy online anyway.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Yup, HoT box is empty except for a code so either download it all or copy the .DAT file as described above.

If you are going to download it then you can start your laptop going right now using your GW2 account. The download is the same as for HoT so you’d be ready to play when you get the HoT code (and you can see how well GW2 runs on your laptop).

Nope, got mine from amazon and it does have a disc. I didn’t need to use it since I already had GW2 installed, just had to use the code to unlock the content.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Nope, got mine from amazon and it does have a disc. I didn’t need to use it since I already had GW2 installed, just had to use the code to unlock the content.

That’s weird. I bought two copies of HoT from Amazon, 1 pre-order for me and, later, one “normal” HoT for a member of the family. No disc in either. (scratches head…).

@OP, regardless of the installation method, one decision you do need to make is whether to add HoT to your existing account or whether to set up a whole new account. The former will unlock HoT for all your existing toons. The latter will give you a new blank account with 5 empty char slots and all of core and HoT to play with.