HoT feels repeated

HoT feels repeated

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: LilShippo.5194

LilShippo.5194

Maybe I’m not the first to have noticed the same repeated ideas in HoT from the first story and area. i think Anet has lost its creativity touch and here is a list of similar things i am referring to, pardon the exact names on them.

So in the “My Story” adventure you get to understand that theres an army of Undead controlled by a Dragon. in HoT you get to learn that the slyvari/plant characters are controlled by a Dragon.

there’s Undead Tendrils, there is plant based Tendrils.

the story dragon throws up undead, breachers throw up monsters. Which i’m tired of hearing the sound it makes in meta. it gets annoying knowing the thing just barfed.

i dunno, I’m certain if probe a little longer i would find similarities between the 2 further i go. I understand MMO’s rehash things. but with as big of game Guild Wars 1 was i was hoping to have seen a much different side with the Add On. after all do we really need a Puking Dragon Monster?

maybe this is just me and i’m over thinking things…

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

I’ve heard this complaint before and it seems Anet has too as they incorporated that rehashing into the actual lore. They even did it in a way that makes more sense than other aspects of Dragon lore like the weaknesses.

Which even that was probably changed from all the jokes about Zhatians weakness being firework displays. Since with the turn they took it means all dragons would share the weaknesses of the previous ones since their connected more now than they were before.

Basically your right but it’s part of the story now and is legit in the confines of the games lore.

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

So in the “My Story” adventure you get to understand that theres an army of Undead controlled by a Dragon. in HoT you get to learn that the slyvari/plant characters are controlled by a Dragon.

Wait until you figure out that all of the dragons have an army of their own and are capable of corrupting/controlling others.

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m wondering of the OP has actually played any of hte Living World after the HoT story. Seems it might be a bit more creative than he thinks.

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I haven’t gotten into LW3’s story yet, but I am really hoping it’s not just one dragon after another after another. We need other, more creative story draws.

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

That’s why they shake things a bit up. They noticed that six dragons is too much and as it seems they try to get them done as fast as possible as seen in the new story. Jormag and Primordus will fight each other somehow

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

Honestly by the end of season 3 expect the dragon story line to be near enough finished, I expect that by expansion 2, we will get a Kralkatorrik storyline with Jourmag/Primordus defeated in S3 and possibly leave bubbles as a threat for a much later date.

They need to “move on” from the dragon threat and give us a “new” enemy, which I suspect they’re working on, considering how much the dragons have clearly been poorly recieved as an antagonist. We need an antagonistic force with a more human touch and more relatable and interesting goals.

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Well, the storyline gives a reasonable explanation for what you perceive as rehashing the same strategy. If you don’t know that already, I suggest you check out the storyline so far. It explains why the dragons seem somewhat similar in their powers.

Having said that, dragons don’t make great villains because they aren’t people with their complex (and interesting!) motivations. It’s a lot like making a lion the bad guy in a story. Yeah, he has teeth and claws. But if the story is going to be any good it’s the interactions between characters with those human motivations that reach the player.

I’m hoping that means that moving forward they’ll start to move away from quickly charging down the next path to yet another dragon and killing it. The appearance of questionable allies like Lazarus (I think his name was?) is more setting the stage for something like that than announcing which dragon we’ll be going after next.

Plus, even while I enjoyed HoT overall, the storyline wasn’t great AND it was a total knockoff of WoW, the night elves, and the Emerald Dream. I mean plenty of details are different, but it isn’t enough to avoid feeling like they just said “Hey, green dragons you fight in a nightmare dreamworld and they corrupt tree-hugging elf people? We should do that, too!”

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: LilShippo.5194

LilShippo.5194

Well, the storyline gives a reasonable explanation for what you perceive as rehashing the same strategy. If you don’t know that already, I suggest you check out the storyline so far. It explains why the dragons seem somewhat similar in their powers.

Having said that, dragons don’t make great villains because they aren’t people with their complex (and interesting!) motivations. It’s a lot like making a lion the bad guy in a story. Yeah, he has teeth and claws. But if the story is going to be any good it’s the interactions between characters with those human motivations that reach the player.

I’m hoping that means that moving forward they’ll start to move away from quickly charging down the next path to yet another dragon and killing it. The appearance of questionable allies like Lazarus (I think his name was?) is more setting the stage for something like that than announcing which dragon we’ll be going after next.

Plus, even while I enjoyed HoT overall, the storyline wasn’t great AND it was a total knockoff of WoW, the night elves, and the Emerald Dream. I mean plenty of details are different, but it isn’t enough to avoid feeling like they just said “Hey, green dragons you fight in a nightmare dreamworld and they corrupt tree-hugging elf people? We should do that, too!”

its sad when i think about the WoW elfs when playing my character, let alone some of the music i swear feels like it was taken from WoW directly, or mixxed up a little bit.

and as for the whole living world 3, its not that i couldn’t have gone to these other stories. i was trying to see if me buying the Expansion was worth it considering the similarities that i wanted to be certain if i wasn’t the only one noticing it and if i was doomed to relive them in the other stories. >.>

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

That’s why they shake things a bit up. They noticed that six dragons is too much and as it seems they try to get them done as fast as possible as seen in the new story. Jormag and Primordus will fight each other somehow

they will not kill 2 elder dragons in a lw season its too big of a scope they will prob make a semi ending to both primordus and jormag’s story by the end of the lw and introduce krak so that we will have a reason to go to the rystal desert.

HoT feels repeated

zealex.9410

i agree with everything you said except the part about wow, im a big fan of the wow lore and what you say as well as what iv experienced inthe story of hot doesnt remind at all the wow universe first off in gw2 the idea of dragons is not to be taken literally in all cases as an example mordy is literally a forest the idea of dragons is that they are hurgy for magic and power (like dragon in mythology have been hungry for gold),

Night elvs dont have really any connection with the green dragons the green dragons are just the gaurdians of the emerald dream while night elvs just created a connection with that place and so they created a respect for the green dragons.

The dream that exists in gw2 is but a plain of existence that was created by the pale tree as a mean to “introduce” in a way tyria to the sylvari which directly come from the dream which was created by the pale tree which was created by mordy.

About what you said about the dragons not being interesting since they didn’t show any motivations and whatnot i agree what anet needs to do tho is not nececerally move away from the dragons but to strenghten their characters since not all of them are the same, for example primordus might not even care about the reaces since he doesnt need any bodies to create his armies, mordy keept going about all being a port of him and if we deny him we face oblivion while jormag doesn’t control living being by force but offers promises of power (thats why some norms or sons of svanir can decline his offers.

HoT feels repeated

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I haven’t gotten into LW3’s story yet, but I am really hoping it’s not just one dragon after another after another. We need other, more creative story draws.

They’re you’re commenting prematurely. It’s like saying there’s a murderer on the lose, who’s a serial killer and they’ve found five bodies and the writers are uncreative.

We know there are X number of elder dragons and we know they all function the same way more or less but we knew this at launch. That’s not the plot of the story. That’s the setup. Now you have to actually compare what happened. WARNING SPOILERS BELOW:

When the game launched we knew that icebrood were dragon minions of Jormag and that risen were dragon minions of Zhaitan and that destroyers were Dragon minions of primordius. This is known stuff. It’s background not plot.

Now, with Zhaitan we form a huge alliance and we beat it. Straight up in a fight with a fleet.

But then we go to the second dragon and we don’t beat it in a flight with the fleet, because the fleet was destroyed. Also an entire race, which was once thought to be immune to dragon corruption because they were immune to Zhaitan’s corruption (there were no risen Sylvari), turned out to be creations of Mordremoth and that race, and least some of it, turned on the other races. This is new and twisty. The backdrop of dragons isn’t the whole story. This is about a race, an entire race that’s been in the game since launch, being protected by the Pale Tree, and as they get closer to the dragon, they start losing control. That’s not the same plot.

Nor is the way the second dragon is killed the same. Fighting it in it’s mind at the same time that an army is fighting it in the zone is not the same fight or the same concept at all.

Now, as the story progresses, and I wont’ see more about it, we get more detail which makes it far more interesting. And we have some interesting characters show up that change a lot of the stuff going forward.

Since this game has launched, we haven’t only fought dragons. For a year and a half we fought Scarlot. You might not count a year and a half out of the game’s history,. but I do. So we havent’ been fighting dragons for four years. For almost half that time we were fighting a mad Sylvari and her strangely crafted alliances.

You might not have been here for the Nightmare Tower, or the the Battle for Lion’s Arch, but I assure you it didn’t feel like we were fighting dragons. But the dragons have been there.

Now, as the Living Story Season 3 has progressed, we have other enemies showing up that aren’t just dragons and even a guy who was once an enemy to humanity who may or may not be an enemy to humanity now.

Those family with Guild Wars 1 lore see a huge call out to that lore in what’s happened since.

The complaint about the game being repeated is grossly overstated.

It would be more repeated if we had different enemies that were just powerful bosses that we beat in the same sort of fight, but that’s not what happened.

HoT feels repeated

zealex.9410

Maybe I’m not the first to have noticed the same repeated ideas in HoT from the first story and area. i think Anet has lost its creativity touch and here is a list of similar things i am referring to, pardon the exact names on them.

there’s Undead Tendrils, there is plant based Tendrils.

the story dragon throws up undead, breachers throw up monsters. Which i’m tired of hearing the sound it makes in meta. it gets annoying knowing the thing just barfed.

i dunno, I’m certain if probe a little longer i would find similarities between the 2 further i go. I understand MMO’s rehash things. but with as big of game Guild Wars 1 was i was hoping to have seen a much different side with the Add On. after all do we really need a Puking Dragon Monster?

maybe this is just me and i’m over thinking things…

Your wording is quite meh. In the personal story we understand that the elder dragon zhaitan has resurected every dead from orr and his been attacking the coastlines of tyrian to get more dead to ressurect more and expand his army

In hot story we learn that the sylvari are a race created by mordy theres a diff between creating your own race and calling them for battle and just giving life to husks and controling them.

now bone tendrils never really understood their existance are they the fingers of dragons like tequatl when he/it shoves his hands on the ground (or whatever idk)

jungle trendrils are literally the extends of mordy since mordy it self is not a actual dragon but a forest? a big plant? or what ever really.

“the undead dragons throw up undead” really? i always thought that they undead were thrown at us by the ships of his andead fleets but if you say so :/

in the hot trailer we saw mordy’sminions being crated by his own vines and later in the story we find where hi actually makes his sholdiers now even tho they ways are similar i guess they didnt think of having the minions of mordy being crated in front of you when they ambush you or simply as reinforcements to assists more of their kind in events and what not. I guess after thei are created they simply are transported fast by his breacher vines to locations they are needed