HoT is very lackluster

HoT is very lackluster

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Suinz.5968

Suinz.5968

I will talk about the raiding first.

This isn’t about the fights themselves. They are well designed and actually challenging. I am talking about the implementation of this actual content. Let me explain:

Anet advertises raiding as one of the huge features of the expansion. They even emailed thousands of GW2 users about it when it was added. BUT, they decided to make it so if you want to be SUCCESSFUL in raids, you NEED ascended gear. Not only one set, but multiple for different builds. They also had the audacity to make ascended gear even MORE expensive to craft. Due to gold already being ridiculously hard to acquire in this game, they decided to make you need MORE of it. Effectively gating content behind more gold.

Now I understand that ascended gear isn’t necessarily required to DO the raids, but if you plan on actually killing bosses and eventually clearing the entire wing, then it is required. That is a fact.

These gates and gold sinks weren’t really in the base game. But they are rampant in Heart of Thorns. I am guessing it is because the expansion itself lacks content compared to other MMO’s.

Anet has essentially doomed the future of the raiding scene before it could really kick off. By making ascended gear harder to acquire and balancing even the beginning bosses around it, New players will have a much harder time going into them. More players mean more recruits for raiding guilds. A new level 80 character will on average have less than 30 gold on them. The player at the stage must either wait behind time gated materials and craft his set over a month or two’s time, OR get out the credit card and buy them straight off the TP so he can actually join his friends without being a liability.

Arenanet has made things so ridiculous in HoT that the only logical conclusion for a new raider who can only log on for raids must use real world money to catch up to his team with gear.

Guild Wars 2 is an alright game. I used to say it was great before the expansion released. But it seems that every “cool” thing Arenanet wanted to implement winded up being executed terribly. From Precursor collections to Scribing. The worst part is that it doesn’t seem to be a mistake. It was a design choice to make things so ridiculous. They must be laughing at the people who pay money for gold just so they can afford to complete one of the new EXOTIC precursor collections.

Overall this expansion has left a sour taste in my mouth and worries me about the future of this game. The game itself seems to lack direction. The fact that there are still thousands of bugs in the expac itself AND the base game that you decided to link HoT collections to is completely unacceptable. The actual content that HoT offers (not features such as Elite Specs) is pathetic. It is really nothing but meta events and experience grinds.

As you can see, Anet has gone silent once again. They have collected our money and their goal is achieved. I would expect another content drought in the near future. I guarantee they will scrap raids like they did dungeons.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: GangNamTwo.9780

GangNamTwo.9780

Well needing ascended gear to beat raids mean a lot more gem purchase. It’s all about revenue.

I was already thinking about this tonight. It won’t surprise me if another expansion or two from now there will be a new level cap. Then people will need to re-make all of their ascended gear to beat the new raid bosses.

This game may not stay at level 80 for the next expansion. Even the “Manifesto” had been cast aside. More revenue is always needed down the road.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Akatosh.7621

Akatosh.7621

I have ascended gear, only one set but it does the job however, all this gating, boring content after the first few hours and this constant grind has really ruined the game. If I had told my past-self that I would be more bored after HoT than I was before I would have passed myself off as crazy but the reality is, all the different ‘middle finger to player’ elements of the expansion have driven me to take a break.
Don’t even get me started on WvW.

HoT is very lackluster

GangNamTwo.9780

Akatosh, aye. I’m very leery of this “free to play” game now. hahaha. Even my legendary weapons may be replaced with “Divine Weapons” come level 85.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

I don’t think raids are intended to be content for new level 80 characters.

And hey I think it’s a pretty good thing because I get a challenge instead of breezing through it in 1 day.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Yeah, ITA.

I have 3 ascended items on one character and only one on another and the one I wanted to raid on is the second one.

This is because I was disappointed with Ranger in WvW, so decided to prioritise Mesmer gear, instead, but I have no real interest in raiding on Mesmer.

Also, I’m not giving up WvW just to raid and I’m not paying to change the stats and replace upgrades every five minutes.

I’m also not into crafting, so even if I wanted to pour yet more money into this endless money pit, it would not make me happy to have to craft.

I tried the raid with my guild, but I can’t see it going anywhere much, especially with my gear.

Maybe they will reduce the difficulty, at some point?

Personally, I think they have done this all wrong.

I would have introduced an LFR style raid, rather than (or, as well as) a real raid.

I would have had it drop ascended stuff, occasionally and then maybe, also, had a harder version of the raid for guilds etc. to do, which dropped legendaries.

I think most of the people who play this game would have preferred that.

Maybe not most of the regular people on these forums…

But most of the more typical players.

There again, if I ran a game like this, it would be sub-based, whether some people liked that, or not.

I would make the best game it was humanly possible to make, but people would have to financially commit to it, at least to some extent, so its design didn’t become ruined by the need to make money through endless micro-transactions.

The problem is that this is just a reflection of the bigger problems in the world, as a whole.

It wouldn’t be necessary for the rich (or richer) to subsidise the poor, in games, if there wasn’t such an ever increasing gulf between the two IRL.

I’m not really sure that anything will ever be as good as it should be, while these issues remain largely unaddressed.

The very poorest in the world are getting less poor, but the number of people living below the breadline, in developed countries, is growing; while the rich just keep on getting richer.

I don’t think raids are intended to be content for new level 80 characters.

And hey I think it’s a pretty good thing because I get a challenge instead of breezing through it in 1 day.

I reached level 80 on my Ranger about 9 months ago and I play the game for several hours, pretty much every day.

Does that make it a “new level 80”?

Or, is the problem likely to be more that the game is far too over-reliant on everyone crafting?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet has gone silent again? You must live in a bubble. Let’s talk about the “silence” of Anet for a second.

People complained about 400 points needed for elite specializations and Anet fixed that, by reducing it to 250, which very few people complain about.

People complained about high level mastery gating in the story and Anet removed some of it, so that people could get through the story with only a few basic masteries that are easy to level.

People complained about some hero points, and so Anet changed some of them to make them easier.

They came out with the commander UI, the new legendaries and the raids, just as they said they would and most people seem to be enjoying the raids, at least those that like that sort of thing.

People complained about Fractal rewards and Anet posted they’re working on them and that they’d be fixed/changed in December.

Anet hasn’t been silent in any way, shape or form and only someone deliberately ignoring what’s being said would say so.

Raiding is for serious players who invest time and energy into the game. The few people who think ascended gear is too hard or expensive to get that leave the game, they’ll be a tiny percent of the hard core community.

Actually the biggest “crisis” area of the game right now is WvW and Anet communicated about that too and said it’s simply too big a problem to have addressed yet, but they are working on it and will continue to work on it.

Anet hasn’t be silent and by saying so, you make me question everything else you’ve said.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

Anet has gone silent again? You must live in a bubble. Let’s talk about the “silence” of Anet for a second.

People complained about 400 points needed for elite specializations and Anet fixed that, by reducing it to 250, which very few people complain about.

People complained about high level mastery gating in the story and Anet removed some of it, so that people could get through the story with only a few basic masteries that are easy to level.

People complained about some hero points, and so Anet changed some of them to make them easier.

They came out with the commander UI, the new legendaries and the raids, just as they said they would and most people seem to be enjoying the raids, at least those that like that sort of thing.

People complained about Fractal rewards and Anet posted they’re working on them and that they’d be fixed/changed in December.

Anet hasn’t been silent in any way, shape or form and only someone deliberately ignoring what’s being said would say so.

Raiding is for serious players who invest time and energy into the game. The few people who think ascended gear is too hard or expensive to get that leave the game, they’ll be a tiny percent of the hard core community.

Actually the biggest “crisis” area of the game right now is WvW and Anet communicated about that too and said it’s simply too big a problem to have addressed yet, but they are working on it and will continue to work on it.

Anet hasn’t be silent and by saying so, you make me question everything else you’ve said.

white knight at its finest here. as you are in many other posts. sorry but arenanet is whispering only, which equals to many people as silence, we are working on it or changes will come next month (promises promises) are not really things that people want to hear. I think what people trying to say is that they want MORE communication from arenanet other then a simpe blogpost. where are all the devs that usually post on the forums? many are used that on a regular base devs reply to topics, SPECIALLY when there are so many “complaints” ( I rather say worries about the future of this game). I do get your point of view. but it seems you are blindly following every single word arenanet is telling you. ´this makes you look like a white knight.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Ascended gear is a bit more annoying to get, but far from requiring a gem purchase. Started playing in April. Made my first three pieces of ascended armor just before the expansion (got lucky there, admittedly). I have made two more since, and closing in on the third.

Ascended weapons aren’t nearly as bad, IMO, and contribute more to overall dps. Armor is substantial work for minimal payoff and not really required in my eyes, but nothing about it is unobtainable. If you want it, go farm the mats (or the parts you reasonably can) and get it done. The price on Silk is down considerably since the expansion hit. I have bought silk and T6 leather cheap and gotten the rest myself (I will say I don’t envy cloth wearers…while they have tried to balance it out heavy armor still seems easier).

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

white knight at its finest here. as you are in many other posts. sorry but arenanet is whispering only, which equals to many people as silence, we are working on it or changes will come next month (promises promises) are not really things that people want to hear. I think what people trying to say is that they want MORE communication from arenanet other then a simpe blogpost. where are all the devs that usually post on the forums? many are used that on a regular base devs reply to topics, SPECIALLY when there are so many “complaints” ( I rather say worries about the future of this game). I do get your point of view. but it seems you are blindly following every single word arenanet is telling you. ´this makes you look like a white knight.

There’s being a white knight and there’s ignoring fact. Which thing did I say wasn’t a fact?

Did Anet change the hero point total needed to unlocked elite specializations. Yes.
Did Anet change some of the hero points, turning them into either communes or veterans? Yes.
Did Anet post about fixing fractal rewards next month? Yes.
Did Anet release the raids and new commander UI yes.

And through all of it they’ve been talking to us. Now talking to us doesn’t mean they’re going to tell you what you want to hear, but saying they’re not talking to us is demonstrably false.

And using terms like White Knight to try to make what I say look untrue is pointless, because what I’ve said is factually true and can be checked.

I’m sorry you have some kind of problem with the game, but that doesn’t mean Anet isn’t talking to us. Saying they’re not is simply wrong.

It’s one thing to complain about something you like. It’s another thing to try to contradict fact. It’s a pointless exercise.

HoT is very lackluster

mcwurth.2081

There’s being a white knight and there’s ignoring fact. Which thing did I say wasn’t a fact?

Did Anet change the hero point total needed to unlocked elite specializations. Yes.
Did Anet change some of the hero points, turning them into either communes or veterans? Yes.

And through all of it they’ve been talking to us. Now talking to us doesn’t mean they’re going to tell you what you want to hear, but saying they’re not talking to us is demonstrably false.

And using terms like White Knight to try to make what I say look untrue is pointless, because what I’ve said is factually true and can be checked.

I’m sorry you have some kind of problem with the game, but that doesn’t mean Anet isn’t talking to us. Saying they’re not is simply wrong.

It’s one thing to complain about something you like. It’s another thing to try to contradict fact. It’s a pointless exercise.

I never said you said anything untrue or false, I never said they do not communicate, but it is a bare minimum they do, they are not being transparent about the things they do (anymore).
and I call you a white knight yes, could have called you a fanboi also.

I do not have a problem with the game itself, I have a problem with the future of the game as it stands NOW! It took a step forward but also a step backwards. I play since day one (gw1) and i seen this happen several times, I always followed everything, but HoT was a wobbly step, I have concerns about the game, and I voice this.

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

I never said you said anything untrue or false, I never said they do not communicate, but it is a bare minimum they do, they are not being transparent about the things they do (anymore).

I do not have a problem with the game itself, I have a problem with the future of the game as it stands NOW! It took a step forward but also a step backwards. I play since day one (gw1) and i seen this happen several times, I always followed everything, but HoT was a wobbly step, I have concerns about the game, and I voice this.

And no one is telling you not to voice it. If I see something that I feel is false, of course I’ll point it out. I wasn’t replying to you, I was answering the OP who talked about Anet’s silence.

You have a right to complain, I have a right to point out inaccuracies. Since I wasn’t talking to you, calling me a white knight to try to discredit me doesn’t really help the argument.

As you said, what I said was true. Therefore it doesn’t matter if I’m a white knight or not. Or is it impossible for white knights to state facts in your world?

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

You are white knighting ANET. Those changes were minor and just bandaids on a very horrible expansion.

Actually HoT is more of a “contraction” for many players. WvW has been decimated, small guilds have been kicked to the curb, all their hard work taken away. Dungeons abandonded and huge grind / pay walls set up for everyone to “enjoy”. Those are just a small list of the disastrous decisions ANET has made.

HoT is garbage.

(edited by Grim West.3194)

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

You are white knighting ANET. Those changes were minor and just bandaids on a very horrible expansion.

Actually HoT is more of a “contraction” for many players. WvW has been decimated, small guilds have been kicked to the curb, all their hard work taken away. Dungeons abandonded and huge grind / pay wall set up for everyone to “enjoy”.

HoT is garbage.

Absolutely your opinion and you’re entitled to it. Having a different opinion, however, doesn’t make me a white knight. I’ll always call out BS wherever I see it, not just here, but everywhere.

I didn’t address the OP’s complaints in total. I address something I consider to be a factual fallacy. And that’s ALL I did.

If you have something to say that addresses what I actually said, by all means, quote me. But if you’re just going to call me a white knight because I have a different opinion than you, well, I guess that pretty much says it all right there.

Have a great night.

HoT is very lackluster

mcwurth.2081

And no one is telling you not to voice it. If I see something that I feel is false, of course I’ll point it out. I wasn’t replying to you, I was answering the OP who talked about Anet’s silence.

You have a right to complain, I have a right to point out inaccuracies. Since I wasn’t talking to you, calling me a white knight to try to discredit me doesn’t really help the argument.

As you said, what I said was true. Therefore it doesn’t matter if I’m a white knight or not. Or is it impossible for white knights to state facts in your world?

it does not matter if you are talking to me or not this is an open forum so I can do that. To me you are being a fanboi or a white knight or whatever you want to call it, I seen your posts around on the forums and you are always acting like this, I never said you are being bad or what ever.

What i write i write and I do not mean anything else with the words i write, you can try and convince me to change my mind but it is most likely i will not, All i did was point out that for many people, the what you call communicating, is a mere whisper from 100 meters away. and you got to be honest with yourself and admit this is true for a great group of players that are more casual then you are. not everyone reads the blogposts every day or week. not everyone has time for that. rather just hop into the game and play. so yeah when those whispers do not reach everyone at once there will be complaints, arenanet not vocally adressing this on the forums is in my eyes not a good move.

personally, when i come home i just throw on the launcher and it will log it self in, I do not even see the “frontpage” of the launcher. I do not care things are for the long term, it is fine with me, I do not care things got “somewhat” harder. What I do care about is that arenanet curretly looked at the shortterm and not the long term except for putting stuff behind a giant grindfest, and in my opinion this is not good for the health of the “current” pre hot playerbase.

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

it does not matter if you are talking to me or not this is an open forum so I can do that. To me you are being a fanboi or a white knight or whatever you want to call it, I seen your posts around on the forums and you are always acting like this, I never said you are being bad or what ever.

What i write i write and I do not mean anything else with the words i write, you can try and convince me to change my mind but it is most likely i will not, All i did was point out that for many people, the what you call communicating, is a mere whisper from 100 meters away. and you got to be honest with yourself and admit this is true for a great group of players that are more casual then you are. not everyone reads the blogposts every day or week. not everyone has time for that. rather just hop into the game and play. so yeah when those whispers do not reach everyone at once there will be complaints, arenanet not vocally adressing this on the forums is in my eyes not a good move.

personally, when i come home i just throw on the launcher and it will log it self in, I do not even see the “frontpage” of the launcher. I do not care things are for the long term, it is fine with me, I do not care things got “somewhat” harder. What I do care about is that arenanet curretly looked at the shortterm and not the long term except for putting stuff behind a giant grindfest, and in my opinion this is not good for the health of the “current” pre hot playerbase.

They are not being silent, which is what the OP claims. They are talking. If you want to say it’s not enough, go ahead, but anyone that’s actually paying attention will have a good laugh over it.

What you people want is capitulation not communication and frankly, it doesn’t matter what you think. No reasonable person can insist Anet has been silent. They’ve acknowledged problems and made changes. Major changes.

There’s nothing silent about that.

HoT is very lackluster

mcwurth.2081

They are not being silent, which is what the OP claims. They are talking. If you want to say it’s not enough, go ahead, but anyone that’s actually paying attention will have a good laugh over it.

What you people want is capitulation not communication and frankly, it doesn’t matter what you think. No reasonable person can insist Anet has been silent. They’ve acknowledged problems and made changes. Major changes.

these “you people” wanting to change the whole thing is so wrong. at least from my point of view, we want things to be adjusted so ALSO those who are feeling currently left out will BE ABLE to get what “you people” got at once, I for one do not ask to get everything mailed to me, I am willing to work for things, but as it currently stand by the time i get it all there will be a new expansion out and it starts all over again, no time to actually enjoy what we have gotten…. so these whispers being thrown around by the devs are clearly not enough for many, not for me anyways personally.

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

these “you people” wanting to change the whole thing is so wrong. at least from my point of view, we want things to be adjusted so ALSO those who are feeling currently left out will BE ABLE to get what “you people” got at once, I for one do not ask to get everything mailed to me, I am willing to work for things, but as it currently stand by the time i get it all there will be a new expansion out and it starts all over again, no time to actually enjoy what we have gotten…. so these whispers being thrown around by the devs are clearly not enough for many, not for me anyways personally.

If you’re claiming Anet is silence when they’re demonstrably not silent, then you must want them to say something other than you’re hearing.

HoT is very lackluster

Grim West.3194

What have they said about small guilds being kicked to the curb?

What have they said about WvW being decimated.

In fact what have they said about any of the major complaints about HoT?….. ZERO.

Minor bandaids and raids are not communication.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

‘’ I am guessing it is because the expansion itself lacks content compared to other MMO’s.’’

This sentence implies two things. For one that other MMO’s don’t gate content and actually let their players play the game the way they want. On the other hand, it also implies, that GW2 is obviously lacking compared to other MMORPG’s.

Personally, I don’t think raiding has any compareble gating compared to most MMORPG’s out there. Gear treadmill MMO’s enforce way more gating mechanics to prevent you from progressing further without getting the newest gear, which actually changes whenever a new big patch comes out.

On the other hand, the fact that GW2 is lacking is true to some extent. However, considering the terrible state of the MMORPG industry, there is barely any other options. The MMO industry has been on a decline for a while now and it is slowly dying compared to the growing eSports-industry.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

What have they said about small guilds being kicked to the curb?

What have they said about WvW being decimated.

In fact what have they said about any of the major complaints about HoT?….. ZERO.

Minor bandaids and raids are not communication.

Okay they said, directly that WvW had major issues. They were aware of those issues and working on them. They’ve not gone into detail about it, but surely acknoweldgement that there’s a problem and it’s being worked on is communication.

Small guilds being “kicked to the curb” is a matter of opinion. Not all small guilds feel this way, and not all small guilds care about a guild hall. In fact, though this is a very loud problem, I don’t feel there’s much to say on it. They’re not talking about it, because they’ve already said what they feel a guild is. They communicated about the size of a small guild before the game even launched. What do you want them to say now.

But now you claim they haven’t said anything about any major problem.

Did or did not ANet say something about the point total for the unlocking elite specializations. Some say that was a major problem and that major problem was fixed.

Did or did not people complain about hero points and some of those have been fixed. Not all, but Anet made some changes.

Did or did not some people complain about the story being gated by some of the higher level masteries. Did or did not Anet fix that major problem. That was a huge problem for some people.

Did or did not Anet talk about the problem Fractal players have with rewards, and did or did not Anet say rewards would be altered in December?

Are you saying these aren’t major problems that didn’t have people complaining about them? Because if you are, you aren’t paying attention.

HoT is very lackluster

Grim West.3194

Small guilds lost everything they worked for and are being made to redo all the work they did before. Work that can’t be done by small guilds anymore. And making people redo the work they did before is not an expansion, it is a rip off.

WvW has had zero comunication and it has been decimated by ANET’s horrible “expansion”.

There are a ton of issues with HoT, the empty maps and endless complaints should give you a clue.

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

Small guilds lost everything they worked for and are being made to redo all the work they did before. Work that can’t be done by small guilds anymore. And making people redo the work they did before is not an expansion, it is a rip off.

WvW has had zero comunication.

There are a ton of issues with HoT, the empty maps and endless complaints should give you a clue.

I have a clue. You’ve listed two complaints, one of which Anet has commented on. I listed three complaints Anet has commented on and dealt with. So of the Five complaints we listed, four of them have received communication.

Some would say that’s like 80%.

HoT is very lackluster

Grim West.3194

You have blinders on. HoT is a disaster, white knighting it will not bring me or anyone else back to the game. GW2 isn’t the game it use to be and most of the changes HoT brought to the table are garbage.

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

You have blinders on. HoT is a disaster, white knighting it will not bring me or anyone else back to the game. GW2 isn’t the game it use to be and most of the changes HoT brought to the table are garbage.

We’ll see in six month as I say. Hot is fun as hell. Not a little fun. It’s a lot fun. And as time goes on, one of us will be proved right.

Now it’s true YOU might not like it, but that doesn’t make it a disaster. You can file that under hyperbole. HoT has certainly received a mixed reaction, but I’m relatively sure it’s not anything remotely resembling a disaster. It’s probably shifted audiences to some degree though.

HoT is very lackluster

Grim West.3194

Well if you enjoy empty maps and endless grinds for little reward, then more power to you.

However, you may be right about the six months thing. ANET has been good about fixing things before. And they did make some of the best games ever (imo) with GW1 and GW2 (before HoT). So I hold out hope they they can fix this ugly mess. But it’s going to take a lot of soul searching on their part to recognize how horribly off track they are with HoT.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No your dident say anything was false or untrue.
You did however jump down vaynes throat for replying to the OPs last segment I’ll link it for you since you clearly missed it ( even boldend it so its easier to spot)

“As you can see, Anet has gone silent once again. They have collected our money and their goal is achieved. I would expect another content drought in the near future. I guarantee they will scrap raids like they did dungeons.”

Edit

About them not being transparent what do you think would have been done by people if they released detailed info on crafting changes before expansion hit?

Edit2
Why do vayne have to accept that you think alot of players agree with you that anet is whispering from 100 meters away?

Actualy you got it the wrong way around anet looked long term they put huge material requirment to get people to play longer not be done in a month.

(edited by Linken.6345)

HoT is very lackluster

Tigaseye.2047

Actually HoT is more of a “contraction” for many players. WvW has been decimated, small guilds have been kicked to the curb, all their hard work taken away. Dungeons abandonded and huge grind / pay wall set up for everyone to “enjoy”.

HoT is garbage.

Absolutely your opinion and you’re entitled to it. Having a different opinion, however, doesn’t make me a white knight. I’ll always call out BS wherever I see it, not just here, but everywhere.

I didn’t address the OP’s complaints in total. I address something I consider to be a factual fallacy. And that’s ALL I did.

If you have something to say that addresses what I actually said, by all means, quote me. But if you’re just going to call me a white knight because I have a different opinion than you, well, I guess that pretty much says it all right there.

Have a great night.

Vayne, I have noticed that many people call you a white knight, on here and it’s pretty obvious that that is simply because you always seem to defend Anet, in your posts.

You may be calling out “factual fallacies”, as you see them, but these corrections always seem to be in Anet’s favour, for some reason.

If you criticised them, even 20% of the time, people probably wouldn’t call you that.

I’m, genuinely, glad for you if your opinion just happens to coincide with Anet’s, all the time, even when they make seemingly contradictory, or confusing, moves.

But, of course, that seemingly constant support will look unusual to people who see you post regularly, on here.

Most people come to the forum because they have an issue with one, or more, things in the game and if someone is always on here and always appearing to toe the company line, of course it will look odd and/or suspicious to most of them.

At the end of the day, I’m sure Anet can defend themselves perfectly well, if they ever feel the need.

It’s not your job to have to do it.

Or, I assume it’s not, anyway.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

HoT is very lackluster

Linken.6345

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

Vayne, I have noticed that many people call you a white knight, on here and it’s pretty obvious that that is simply because you always seem to defend Anet, in your posts.

You may be calling out “factual fallacies”, as you see them, but these corrections always seem to be in Anet’s favour, for some reason.

If you criticised them, even 20% of the time, people probably wouldn’t call you that.

I’m, genuinely, glad for you if your opinion just happens to coincide with Anet’s, all the time, even when they make seemingly contradictory, or confusing, moves.

But, of course, that seemingly constant support will look unusual to people who see you post regularly, on here.

Most people come to the forum because they have an issue with one, or more, things in the game and if someone is always on here and always appearing to toe the company line, of course it will look odd and/or suspicious to most of them.

At the end of the day, I’m sure Anet can defend themselves perfectly well, if they ever feel the need.

Oh dont kid your self mate ofcourse they would still call vayne a white knight since they would still only see the 80%

Edit

Oh look with I found, what was this about vayne white knighting all the time took me 2 mins total of searching.

Handful of HoT Notes:

Kitta.3657:

JediYoda.1275:

You get over it, the complaints/concerns are legit

It’s 3 days out of what… 365 per year? No they’re not legit. Just do it like sPvP and WvW guilds have done for the past 2+ years. The only legit concern is about cross server guilds BUT that has been answered already. So yeah, not ground to stand on.

It comes off as very entitled.

My concern isn’t doing WvW. My concern is people in my guild being left out because more and more of the guild isn’t on my server.

Maybe you think it’s okay for me to say okay I’m doing a guild mission now, the rest of you can listen to us on mumble and feel left out, but I don’t think that’s okay.

(edited by Linken.6345)

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

I come from a different generation than many posters and I’m not as free with words like lazy and hate and disaster. My problems with hyperbole isn’t limited to Guild Wars 2. In fact, it’s not limited at all. I’ve been through a couple of pretty distressing legal cases where language was used to make things seem a lot worse than they actually were. It’s left be quite sensitive to people accusing other people of something. So this isn’t really a Guild Wars 2 fan boy thing, so much as I stop making personal attacks type thing. I’ve done it in other forums in the past as well, and I do it in real life, even if Guild Wars 2 isn’t involved.

I have no problem with the OP saying HoT is lackluster and I never said anything against it. He’s expressing an opinion, which is his right.

But anytime anyone accuses someone of something that they may not have done, yes, I’m going to take issue with it. If people want to see me as Lancelot, that’s okay. I don’t really have an issue with it. Since when is fighting for something you believe in a bad thing.

And no, Anet really can’t defend themselves. They can’t afford to. They can’t come out and call someone out for getting stuff wrong because it would actually make them look bad.

Where as I don’t personally care if I look bad on a forum. It’s not really an issue for me.

HoT is very lackluster

Grim West.3194

It’s not hyperbole son. HoT is a disaster.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Well if you enjoy empty maps and endless grinds for little reward, then more power to you.

However, you may be right about the six months thing. ANET has been good about fixing things before. And they did make some of the best games ever (imo) with GW1 and GW2 (before HoT). So I hold out hope they they can fix this ugly mess. But it’s going to take a lot of soul searching on their part to recognize how horribly off track they are with HoT.

GW2 may have been fun for you but not for many others before the expansion. The forums were full of complaints for months about being tired of the original game. Tons of threads asking for an expansion with the purpose to create a new foundation.

I understand that many people are fraustrated. However, stating that GW2 was all nice and dandy before the expansion is nothing but a subjective opinion. A huge part of the playerbase was upset with the state of GW2 and wanted ANet to add new systems different than what we are used to.

The people who are enjoying the expansion now aren’t bothering to comment on the forum just like how the people who enjoyed the original GW2, didn’t bother to comment before the expansion was released.

Since release these forums have been full of complaints. The only times it is peaceful, is when there is an update hiatus and there is nothing to complain about.

Regarding the empty HoT, it is over exaggerated. TD is empty however other maps still have people playing. There are issues for sure and ANet need to do QoL changes to improve the experience, however, in the long run I expect the HoT maps to be populated again. People have been harcore-grinding the maps for the past month and many are burned out. It is pretty normal for an MMORPG expansion. Give it a week or two and things will be stable again including activity.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

HoT is very lackluster

Tigaseye.2047

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

Oh dont kid your self mate ofcourse they would still call vayne a white knight since they would still only see the 80%

I don’t know?

No one’s ever called me that, on here and I sometimes defend their decisions.

I got called it on the EU WoW forum once, for trying to defend people with disabilities; but that was just pure ignorance, frankly.

It wasn’t even the correct usage of the term, as it implies you’re defending someone for ulterior motives and I have no idea what my ulterior motives would have, supposedly, been there?

But, on here? No.

I, basically, defended Anet’s decision re. dungeon reward nerfs (for various reasons) and no one called me it then, despite it being the perfect opportunity for them to do that.

But, if you check someone’s posting history, or you know them from previous forum visits and it’s just defend, defend, defend, with no (or very little) criticism, what are you going to think?

HoT is very lackluster

Linken.6345

GW2 may have been fun for you but not for many others before the expansion. The forums were full of complaints for months about being tired of the original game. Tons of threads asking for an expansion with the purpose to create a new foundation.

I understand that many people are fraustrated. However, stating that GW2 was all nice and dandy before the expansion is nothing but a subjective opinion. A huge part of the playerbase was upset with the state of GW2 and wanted ANet to add new systems different than what we are used to.

The people who are enjoying the expansion aren’t bothering to comment on the forum just like how the people who enjoyed the original GW2, didn’t bother to comment before the expansion was released.

Since release these forums have been full of complaints. The only times it is peaceful, is when there is an update hiatus and there is nothing to complain about.

Oh no it aint then there is complains were are the update, why arent you making content, kitten lazy devs only want our moonies…. we want shineys now.

HoT is very lackluster

Grim West.3194

The people who are enjoying the expansion aren’t bothering to comment on the forum just like how the people who enjoyed the original GW2, didn’t bother to comment before the expansion was released.

GW2 wasn’t perfect before HoT. I never said it was. But HoT was a step backwards for the most part. I did like the harder mobs and gliding, that’s about it. The rest is pretty bland or outright horrible.

And HoT destroyed WvW, dungeons and small guilds. All of which were better off before HoT.

HoT is very lackluster

Linken.6345

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

I don’t know?

No one’s ever called me that, on here and I sometimes defend their decisions.

I got called it on the EU WoW forum once, for trying to defend people with disabilities; but that was just pure ignorance, frankly.

It wasn’t even the correct usage of the term, as it implies you’re defending someone for ulterior motives and I have no idea what my ulterior motives would have, supposedly, been there?

But, on here? No.

I, basically, defended Anet’s decision re. dungeon reward nerfs (for various reasons) and no one called me it then, despite it being the perfect opportunity for them to do that.

But, if you check someone’s posting history, or you know them from previous forum visits and it’s just defend, defend, defend, with no (or very little) criticism, what are you going to think?

Well to me vayne seems quite surgical, s/he attack when people give false information and then get call out like they opposed the whole wall of text.

HoT is very lackluster

Linken.6345

GW2 wasn’t perfect before HoT. I never said it was. But HoT was a step backwards for the most part. I did like the harder mobs and gliding, that’s about it. The rest is pretty bland or outright horrible.

And HoT destroyed WvW, dungeons and small guilds. All of which were better off before HoT.

For you thats true but for me no and for the others they have to say themselfs.

For 1 they actualy made guild missions easier since before people struggled if you were under a group, now all got the same so the small guilds can help eachother.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

H.O.T Mess

It’s all you can call it at this point .

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

No reasonable person would overlook how they messed up the game. It’s dead obvious. You play it, you see for yourself, you immediately feel, that something isn’t right; that there is no balance, that gating content is just wrong, that they’ve imposed restrictions in wrong ways in wrong places and so on.

About ANet being silent, I’ve noticed their occasional responses to useless topics just so they hint towards them actually reading the forums, but whenever there is a heated debate on a topic that demands a response they keep their distance or mask themselves behind ordinary user accounts to defend the unholy mess they created.

HoT is very lackluster

Tigaseye.2047

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

I come from a different generation than many posters and I’m not as free with words like lazy and hate and disaster. My problems with hyperbole isn’t limited to Guild Wars 2. In fact, it’s not limited at all. I’ve been through a couple of pretty distressing legal cases where language was used to make things seem a lot worse than they actually were. It’s left be quite sensitive to people accusing other people of something. So this isn’t really a Guild Wars 2 fan boy thing, so much as I stop making personal attacks type thing. I’ve done it in other forums in the past as well, and I do it in real life, even if Guild Wars 2 isn’t involved.

I have no problem with the OP saying HoT is lackluster and I never said anything against it. He’s expressing an opinion, which is his right.

But anytime anyone accuses someone of something that they may not have done, yes, I’m going to take issue with it. If people want to see me as Lancelot, that’s okay. I don’t really have an issue with it. Since when is fighting for something you believe in a bad thing.

And no, Anet really can’t defend themselves. They can’t afford to. They can’t come out and call someone out for getting stuff wrong because it would actually make them look bad.

Where as I don’t personally care if I look bad on a forum. It’s not really an issue for me.

I see.

I don’t think you look bad, Vayne.

You’re just, probably completely unintentionally (from the sound of it), frustrating already frustrated people further!

Sometimes, I think it’s better to just say “I know how you feel…” or “I understand…”, rather than worrying about every little detail they have said being factually correct.

Or, even if you are going to put someone right, factually speaking (which I also feel the need to do, sometimes), to try to sandwich that information between an “I understand how you feel…” and a “Having said that, as I say, I do get what you mean.”, or whatever.

This is just about someone’s personal opinions about a game and/or a games company’s communication levels/venues, after all.

Fortunately, it’s not really that important, in the scheme of things.

HoT is very lackluster

mcwurth.2081

No your dident say anything was false or untrue.
You did however jump down vaynes throat for replying to the OPs last segment I’ll link it for you since you clearly missed it ( even boldend it so its easier to spot)

“As you can see, Anet has gone silent once again. They have collected our money and their goal is achieved. I would expect another content drought in the near future. I guarantee they will scrap raids like they did dungeons.”

Edit

About them not being transparent what do you think would have been done by people if they released detailed info on crafting changes before expansion hit?

Edit2
Why do vayne have to accept that you think alot of players agree with you that anet is whispering from 100 meters away?

Actualy you got it the wrong way around anet looked long term they put huge material requirment to get people to play longer not be done in a month.

they looked at the game for long term yes, NOT for the players itself how they can/could recieve such an obstacle AFTER having played the core game for 3 years, perhaps if they eased us in more then just dropping the bomb like that, yeah maybe then people would have okay’d it.

i am not saying vayne have to accept anything, I give my point of view, big difference.

why do you jump to my throath for giving my personal views?

HoT is very lackluster

Vayne.8563

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

I see.

You’re just, probably completely unintentionally (from the sound of it), frustrating already frustrated people further!

Sometimes, I think it’s better to just say “I know how you feel…” or “I understand…”, rather than worrying about every little detail they have said being factually correct.

Or, even if you are going to put someone right, factually speaking (which I also feel the need to do, sometimes), to try to sandwich that information between an “I understand how you feel…” and a “Having said that, as I say, I do get what you mean.”, or whatever.

This is just about someone’s personal opinions about a game and/or a games company’s communication levels/venues, after all.

I say that too sometimes. I do say to a lot of people I understand why you’d feel this way, and I can sympathize. However, someone saying smething is utter crap or a disaster or whatever, nope. I can’t say that I’d going to sympathize with that person.

However, I can point to lots of times when I actually understand why people feel as they do. I understand why small guilds feel done over. I get that completely.

I understand why some solo players feel that the game is now not soloable (even though a lot of it is).

I understand why people who play WwW feel disenfranchised, or even why people who play Fractals feel done over by the rewards.

But I think HoT is a lot better than a lot of people give it credit for two. The zone design is my favorite part. I find HoT more immersive than the core game, because I’m fighting for me life and involved in a war. That, to me, is immersive.

In the core world I never really felt like I was in danger and that was becoming a problem for me.

HoT is very lackluster

mcwurth.2081

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

I see.

I say that too sometimes. I do say to a lot of people I understand why you’d feel this way, and I can sympathize. However, someone saying smething is utter crap or a disaster or whatever, nope. I can’t say that I’d going to sympathize with that person.

However, I can point to lots of times when I actually understand why people feel as they do. I understand why small guilds feel done over. I get that completely.

I understand why some solo players feel that the game is now not soloable (even though a lot of it is).

I understand why people who play WwW feel disenfranchised, or even why people who play Fractals feel done over by the rewards.

But I think HoT is a lot better than a lot of people give it credit for two. The zone design is my favorite part. I find HoT more immersive than the core game, because I’m fighting for me life and involved in a war. That, to me, is immersive.

In the core world I never really felt like I was in danger and that was becoming a problem for me.

I do agree with that, the HoT content is nice, I am merely about the small guilds being kicked in the KITTENS basically, I do not like that. I do play a bit here and there stil, ofcourse, gameplay on itself didnt change, its just that all I worked for before, I got to work for again. and now 100x more then before. I can only imagine some newer players coming in and thinking yay lets start a new guild….. oh wait, that is a 24/7 job now, forget it.

HoT is very lackluster

Tigaseye.2047

HoT is garbage.

Have a great night.

I see.

As you rightly say, it’s mainly just hyperbole.

People are being, from their points of view, totally honest about how they feel; but they probably are exaggerating slightly (or not so slightly!).

That’s just what most people do – especially when they are at the end of their tethers.

They don’t use words only by their strictly literal meanings.

Maybe we all should, but most of us don’t.

When most people say “hate” they really just mean strongly dislike.

When most people say “a disaster”, they really just mean a big mistake (in their opinion).

When they say “utter crap”, they really (again, in their opinion) just mean disappointingly bad.

Perhaps try to read the toned down versions of the words you feel are too strong, as you know that is what people are really trying to say.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

My problems with hyperbole

I know what you mean. I’m not a violent person, but every time someone refers to some trivial thing as a “slap in the face” part of me wishes someone would actually do that to them so they quit saying it.

The expansion has issues for sure (e.g. the fact that the final story mission is still buggy as hell weeks after release is inexcusable) and there were clear missteps with some of the reward structures. but despite all that, I love the Revenant, have been having a blast in the expansion areas, and am happy to have so many more options for endgame content.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’ve seen him criticize them, but it’s prolly more like 0.5% of the time. lol Which may be why some people don’t view him as “balanced.”

But to be fair, some people are just unreasonable. Not too long ago I made a post in someone’s thread defending something about the game and I got accused of being a white knight, too. Me. Even a cursory glance at my posts over the years would prove I’m nowhere even approaching being a white knight for Anet.

I’ve also been accused of being “paid” by Anet for my forum posting. People that know me even a little had a good chuckle over that one, too.

HoT is very lackluster

GangNamTwo.9780

Actually I have deleted posts when I feel a white knight (Sir Vayne) will give me a lengthy reply that I don’t care to read, nor to respond. So, a good solution is to just delete my posts. Truth be told, I just deleted 2 posts last night even thinking of him. lol that’s fear!

Carry on. I’m done with this forum. My current conclusion on HoT is: I am going to find a subscription mmorpg. Gem store does not work well when a company is driving its game design toward getting people to the gem store at every turn. Grind is the best “nudge” for people to hit the gem store. Hence grinds.
Game play thereby suffers!
Um, out of here.

HoT is very lackluster

Tigaseye.2047

Actually I have deleted posts when I feel a white knight (Sir Vayne) will give me a lengthy reply that I don’t care to read, nor to respond. So, a good solution is to just delete my posts. Truth be told, I just deleted 2 posts last night even thinking of him. lol that’s fear!

Carry on. I’m done with this forum. My current conclusion on HoT is: I am going to find a subscription mmorpg. Gem store does not work well when a company is driving its game design toward getting people to the gem store at every turn. Grind is the best “nudge” for people to hit the gem store. Hence grinds.
Game play thereby suffers!
Um, out of here.

You shouldn’t not post here, just because someone might disagree.

I agree with you re. subs – non sub games may seem like a nice idea, but they simply don’t really work, IMO.

One set of people end up paying too much (often far too much) for the game, while the other set of people pay nothing and either grind themselves into the ground trying to catch up, or remain a lower “class” of player, permanently.

While still being expected to look up at the people who have (mostly) paid to buy stuff.

It’s all kinds of wrong.

If it’s just cosmetic, that is just about bearable, but when better stat gear depends entirely on people farming, or more likely buying, tons of mats, that really is not.

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Anyone who expects a rational discussion in a public, anonymous forum is deluded.

HoT is very lackluster

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

About the raids and ascended requirement. Basically ArenaNet made a problem for themselves here back when they introduced Ascended.

Personally I think it’s great that Raids are designed around ascended gear. They have to. Designing them around Exotic would mean they would become too easy with ascended and that would remove what raids are all about.

On the other hand I hate it. Anet clearly stated Ascended gear would only be required for the highest level fractals. Because of this I never got into Ascended gear, heck I don’t even have any of the crafts at level 400 (because until the addition of Scribing I did not like the crafts available in GW2).

If there is one element in an MMORPG that I dislike, it’s the builds. So when Anet said I don’t have to bother with ascended gear I didn’t. I got two rings and that was it. Yesterday (because of the raids) I got myself the other accessories. I had one Ascended weapon box, but it was Rabbid what was useless for me (See why I dislike this part of MMO’s).

So because of this my build is not yet great for raids. Usually not a problem, I manage to do any content, don’t go down much and do decent damage. But with Raids, especially because there is a time-limited the additional stats are very much appreciated.

And then of course as a Ranger you basically need a healing set (for when using the druid), a berserker (for when going DPS) and a condition set to be really useful in raids.

About scribing, I think prizes for it will start becoming more acceptable when most guilds are done with the guild-hall. Also most mats are attainable in-game. Oil now seems expensive, but farming for it is not a big issue. Only now you donate all those seeds to the guild. (Maybe there will be also recipes that require mats that are not as easy to get like Charged Lodestones or globs of ectoplasm, but we will see)

The only element that is really bad there is that for many of the items you have to buy something (like a simple chair) that requires gold. Because for some reason, Anet wants you to always spend gold. Well that some reason is likely because they sell gold.
But that just makes it more of a gold grind, what has always been the major issue with GW2 in the first place.

Other than that I don’t think there is anything wrong with the scribing craft itself. Sure, that you need to scribe things for WvW (and other unlocks) instead of getting it with Atherium is bad. But the craft itself is great, the first fun craft in GW2. Been waiting for that since launch.

Lastly about Anet doing this to sell gold. Well that has been a problem also with GW2, only now it might hit another group of people. Before it hit those who liked chasing fun items (skins, mini’s and so on). You basically could buy them with cash or grind gold for it. One it not a game-play element, and the other is a boring. When people complained about it, you got other players saying they should not complain because skins where optional. As if that matters, the game in total is optional.

Anyway, now it looks like it hurts some more people. I had not notice that myself yet, but reading the comments here it seems like it does.

The biggest issue with that is that GW2 was supposed to be a B2P game, the model that made GW1 big, and by doing so made GW2 what it is. At the last big announcement about HoT, Mike had a big speech about how great B2P was so one would hope with HoT, GW2 would move back towards that again. It also seemed to do so the first week (having the Halloween skins ingame, with exception of the wings). But since, they seem to be going back to the cash-shop focus again.

I hope they change that soon. Because they don’t want to scare people away again. Those leaving with the first expansion are not likely to ever come back. So imho they have about 5 more months (as it’s the first half year after an expansion that people slowly start to leave… or not) to fix these grind issues. We will see. It’s a great game, but it also has flaws. Let’s hope it will not be the next game on the list going down (not as in completely dead) because of the cash-shop focus.

(edited by Devata.6589)