HoT not suited for high exp characters!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Secret Service.4910

Secret Service.4910

So I have a problem with your expansion. My character has 1,016.000 (over 1 milion) xp at the moment. I started HoT with it and I am unable to finish the campaign. Reason?

You require XP for masteries. Do you know where this puts me? Hundred of hours of play before I am able to finish the expansion only because I can’t score masteries! I have 1 mastery right know which is my kite. I am unable to continue anything, explore the jungle, do the storyline, even the raids! It took me several hours to score my kite mastery, another 5 and I am getting close to kite uplift mastery. Meanwhile I see people running around with 50 even 100 mastery points already completed.

What is your reason for that? I already explored almost everything I could with just my kite, I cant use tunnels, jumping mushrooms, nothing. The feeling – I lost over 40 euro for the expansion, I am deeply unsatisfied. And I refuse to play for another 3 months just to obtain masteries needed for basic world exploration. I’ve already done world events – like 3-4 times each. And you know what.. it is frustrating and boring as hell.

So what am I suppose to do now? I can’t return the game obviously which I would gladly do.
And I also won’t make a new character from scratch. I already finished basic storyline 3 times.
Any game dev here? Support gave me nothing, they pointed me here.

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

The xp needed for masteries has nothing to do with how many xp your character had already accumulated.
Here you get an overview of the necessary xp needed for each mastery.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Yeah it doesn’t take hundreds of hours to unlock the things you’re describing. It will take literally forever if you’re trying to level those by leveling a character since that not how you gain mastery XP.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

It sounds like you don’t understand how the expansion (specifically the Mastery system) works. It would probably be more helpful for you to read about how you unlock and train Masteries (both in the HoT maps and in Tyria) than it would be to rant on the forums and blame Anet for you not understanding.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

You don’t need a whole lot of masteries to explore the jungle. You are close to using updrafts with your glider and that alone will enable you to explore 90 to 95% of the jungle. Mushrooms are only shortcuts; they do not actually take you to places you otherwise couldn’t go, with a few exceptions here and there. The same goes for the wallows. They are more a matter of convenience than necessity.

Getting all the masteries takes long, yes, but it doesn’t take hundreds of hours and months of play. You need XP to level them (on a lvl 80 character) so do the things that you know reward the most XP. Those rules haven’t changed with the expansion. Do the events, participate in the meta’s. Combat HP’s also grant XP. Getting around the jungle will become progressively easier once you continue with that. Levelling masteries is just like levelling a character. It just takes longer.

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

::headscratch::

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

Only exp gained with max level characters will go towards your masteries. Any activity in old maps (events, hearts, exploration, gathering, etc) will go towards a selected track in the Central Tyria masteries. Everything you do in the 4 new maps (and raid, I think) will fill the xp bar towards your Maguuma Jungle masteries.

Mastery points you acquire from locating and communing with them on the new maps, locating strongboxes you can open daily but only reward a mastery once with their associated achievement, completing achievements tied to story or the new maps. I don’t know for sure how Tyrian mastery points are designed, but they seem to be with an achievement tied-in system considering the number of retroactive masteries I had readily available at HoT launch.

It takes a while to get your masteries up but it’s a matter of pacing yourself and just enjoying the game. I’m at 109 and I haven’t really worked on it in any way, just played the game and exp came with normal gameplay between getting elite spec unlocks for alts, playing story, doing events, getting a full exploration and the ocassional world boss, gathering or fractal in Tyria.

None of the masteries are a must (unless you really wanna craft a gen2 lege tomorrow), just a convenience, and a good portion of the maps can be explored without the need for masteries. I ran all the way to Tangled Depths on foot on launch day and unlocked my glider usage with the exploration exp I got. For starters just get 1 point in each Maguuma mastery, it will help with story. Follow the story and that will lead you across all 4 maps to the very end.