HoT: will you upgrade or get a new account?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: HoangAn.2085

HoangAn.2085

Then what would you do with your old account you worked so hard for? Leave it for dailies? For all you know your old account may lose out on a lot of access

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

I will tell you IF i going to buy HOT

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Op what are you talking about? You get a free copy of gw2 when you buy HoT. Unless there has been an announcement I haven’t heard about yet.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: HoangAn.2085

HoangAn.2085

Then what would you do with your old account you worked so hard for? Leave it for dailies? For all you know your old account may lose out on a lot of access

I’d expect there is still content you can enjoy if you don’t have HoT, at least that’s what Anet was promising. Besides that it’s dailies, guild crafting, and storage space – some use that comes to mind. Plus there is always a possibility of a good discount for HoT that may come later.

If there is a discount it won’t be for a while, so its your choice. It also depends how much time you’ve put into your old account. If it is substantial then it would be a shame to throw it away like this but thats just my opinion. Also the new account, is a NEW account. It would be such a hassle to get bag slots, bank slots, and etc for it

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

• don’t worry about learning crafting again (not a big deal)

Considering some of the recipes still haven’t been reintroduced, I wouldn’t go with another account. Then there’s all the Ascended Gear I have that’s not transferable. The skins, mini’s, and dyes that I can’t transfer. Even the near 300 magic find is a consideration. Basically, I’m always going to put my main account front and center.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

IF I were to buy HoT, I’d apply the key to my existing account. I have zero interest in starting over.

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

That is totally an interesting dilemma.
In one hand for 50$
you could upgrade your account, delete a character to free up a slot for your revenant. & play all your actual characters to the new content.

Or…

Start fresh with the expansion giving you the base game, +5 new character slots.

You might even say i’ll wait to buy a second expansion to upgrade my first account once Anet sale it for 10$

This is actually something to ponder on… What to do?

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

Op what are you talking about? You get a free copy of gw2 when you buy HoT. Unless there has been an announcement I haven’t heard about yet.

Since no one else will set you straight:

No, no you don’t. You get one code that either upgrades an existing account or creates a new account that has the base game and HoT.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Since no one else will set you straight:

No, no you don’t. You get one code that either upgrades an existing account or creates a new account that has the base game and HoT.

LOL and Imagine if the upgrade overwrites and deletes your existing account…

Just saying’

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

Why make a brand new account? I have too many things on my account that can longer be obtained in the game, plus my rare dyes let’s me keep my armors in interesting colors. For me, I put way too much into my account to just leave to the side and start over with a new one.

Posted by: Vegito.3048

Vegito.3048

Get new account. Log in daily to new account to get laurels. Convert laurels. ????. Profit.

Should work right?

Rantev [Warrior]

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Note that if you have Ascended crafters with your old account, they won’t be able to craft stuff for your new account.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

Note that if you have Ascended crafters with your old account, they won’t be able to craft stuff for your new account.

An account with ascended crafting on it could craft inscriptions and produce some time gated mats, like Bolts of Damask. OP certainly asked a very interesting question

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

At the moment neither, I don’t feel Anet cares enough to get my money, it is their job to convince me why I should give them a dime. So far with all the crap I believe they have pulled followed by silence, they are doing a pretty poor job of that.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

The question is, if you are buying HoT – would you go for a new account or an upgrade and why?

Upgrade. I have so many hours in this game, it would actually take me over 2 years to get back to where I am now. 9 lvl 80’s, 4k+ WvW rank, 15k+ achievement points, Maxed every craft. So much more that I would never want to start over. Oh and 100% map completion, only on one toon LOL not sure I can do it for each of them.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

NONE.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Upgrade for sure. Ultimate Edition. Already done. And I was as mad as a rabid kitten about the initial offering. I’m happy as can be, now!

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’ll be upgrading definitely. I’m not interested in starting over with a second account.

Posted by: Tyber Valens.5148

Tyber Valens.5148

Nope. I will wait for the price to come down. Not worth it to me for the price.

Templar Valens – Human – Guardian
Server: Maguuma

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Not interested in sidelining my account that has my titles and skins from Guild Wars 1, characters I’ve played for almost 3 years, all the account bound skins, black lion skins, crafting at 400 or 500, Ascended weapons and armor, titles, achievement points, personal stories done, living stories done, etc…. And for what? 5 blank character slots and a little bit of storage???? No. Thank. You.

It’s really only worth it if you haven’t done much on the original account. Sidelining it now means forever leaving it behind to sit as a vanilla account as very few will buy the expansion a second time and then do all the HoT achievements and Masteries again.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Strictly VALUE speaking hands down buying a fresh copy of HoT (not upgrading old account) is MUCH better.

In my case, i just don’t have the time available as i used too to invest in the game and start from scratch. Right now i am not even convinced to upgrade considering the limited content we receive.

For anyone who does have that time & patience not going for a fresh account for that money is a big mistake and a loss in value in my opinion.

“Crafting” you can always login on your main account, craft and then mail it to your other account.
“Bank storage”…you have the possibility of doubling it with an extra account.
“Character slots” …you double them.

What you won’t have on the second account are 3 things:
1. Unlocked achievements
2. Unlocked skins
3. Unlocked main stories/past seasons….which in reality is just 1 season because the first season doesn’t come in a pack. They didn’t have the so called “tech” back then….and the story is not something that will blow your mind anyway.

It’s very regrettable they didn’t choose to offer a cheaper “upgrade” version for the game for ppl who already own it. Very fishy decision and doesn’t promote trust in any way shape or form.

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

I did already update. Else i would loose all the living story chapters (which newbies dont get, should be on the list op) i unlocked in the past + all the services and conveniance items i purchased.

(edited by Bolbo Baggins.8594)

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Newbies will get all stories. Season 2 can be bought and they already stated several times they want to make a pack of Season 1 (no release date yet but it will come). So story wise you are on the same level as a newebie when it comes down to access to them.

Yes you “lose” convenience items….but as you said they are convenience and not necessary. In reality you don’t lose anything..you just have them on another account.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Yes you “lose” convenience items….but as you said they are convenience and not necessary. In reality you don’t lose anything..you just have them on another account.

The point of convenience items is that they are convenient… I would hardly call having them on a second account to be convenient. My take on this, the only benefit to having HoT on a separate account is exactly the same as buying another copy of the base game before pre-purchases were a thing.

In other words, 5 fresh character slots, more guild membership slots, fresh bank and material storage and additional time gated crafting items as well as extra login rewards (read: laurels to spend on T6 bags, most likely). So not really worth it, especially if you consider that before HoT you could get these things for 10$. Most people are looking for extra value in this where there really isn’t much value to be had. Here is another spin on this, HoT costs 50$, a character slot costs 10$, so basically a new player that buys HoT is only paying for character slots and gets all content for “free”. Of course this is completely ridiculous way to think about it but it does line up.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

IF and that’s a big if, I purchase HoT it will be for upgradeHowever after 6 months of teasing (and not very good teasers, just a minimal amount) I’m losing interest at a rapid rate. It’s one thing to reveal stuff slowly for marketing, it’s something completely different to take 6 months of revealing not a whole lot of anything. We don’t even know what half the specializations are at this point. Their going beyond hype and just kittening people off now.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I upgraded within five minutes after Colin announced pre-purchase was live. I already passed up several chances to get a second account for 10 bucks because I don’t want to manage two accounts or give up all the account bonuses I’ve accrued in nearly three years of play. I have 18 slots now and another coming from the veteran pre-purchase, one of them empty and two more just acting as name place-holders. All my 80’s have at least 100 Hero Points waiting to pounce on Elite specs.

Why in the world would I want to have to jump between accounts to enjoy HoT, along with having to repeat three years of effort to get the new account in parity with my current one?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I just got paid, still planning on upgrading my primary account, as well as my husbands.

When it goes on sale I’ll pick up the second account I’ve been planning on getting.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.