Hope that collin's departure is a good sign

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: YaYa.5879

YaYa.5879

What is frustrating with gw2 is that it’s a game with amazing ideas but really poor execution. Collin being kind of the guy in charge of this execution, i hope that the ne one will actually do a better job.

For exemple raids…
It’s cool to have the choice to do them (even tho it’s not for a good majority of the players). But on the other hand since the release it has been the only pve conten that has been updated. No new fractals, dungeons were killed. So either you are an elitist raider or you can go kitten yoursel right in the kitten.

here’s what i found n reddit. It was a subject where a guy asked why people don’t like raids. There is currently 630 answers and here’s my favorite (picture).

WvW, still dead… Still no news on when will this big update come. (We barely have as much intel kitten months ago when the game was released).

5 month in, still no Living word season 3, still no legendary back pack, we have 3 new legendary weapons…

Congrats guys…

Edit: Oh and what’s up with the kitten loot that we get? instead of havin useless green or blue items that we will throw or sell for 1 silver. Can’t we have something smarter?

Attachments:

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

5 month in, still no Living word season 3, still no legendary back pack, we have 3 new legendary weapons…

I believe what was said in the AMA was that Raid Wing 3 would be coming May/June time with L.W. S3 coming the quarter after that. I’m going to choose to believe that “the quarter after” means “October – December”.

That’s a long wait.

Did I read somewhere that living world episodes would be released at a rate of one per quarter also?

I get that ArenaNet don’t want to commit themselves to a 2-week timetable for living world. I always thought that was a little on the “too frequent” side. I hope it doesn’t mean that they are not setting themselves any targets for content delivery. It would end up being a true “it’s ready when it’s ready” scenario.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Quit playing eq1 do to grown ups acting like children quit eq2 and wow and AO and Star wars galaxy so so all do to elite attitude and raids

Yea playing a new game atm prob wont be logging in gw2 until new LS and only for story then gone again back to a better game

Basically they lost all income from me and i wont be getting the new expansion until i know every DAM thing in it

Posted by: YaYa.5879

YaYa.5879

Basically they lost all income from me and i wont be getting the new expansion until i know every DAM thing in it

It’s not about knowing everything in it, it’s about knowing when those things are gonna be released…
Well guess i’m gonna go back doing the same fractals i’ve been doing for a butt load of time. I mean it takes 3 person to release an entire wing of a raid in 3 months but no fractals…
Way to know your audience…

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Blaming Colin is kind of unfair, the game industry is notorious for fat, lazy, ignorant, old investors who think they know everything meddling in the game design, picking favorites among the design crew, poorly organizing their offices, hiring out talent and work where it shouldn’t be, totally ignoring the advice of industry veterans, completely and utterly disconnected with their audience, and viewing game design as flyby investment not good for anything but a quick buck.

Could be any number of things to blame for the poor direction of the game as of late. For all we know Colin could be leaving because he couldn’t stand it anymore, or could be being let go because he stood up against it.

But as for the complaints about that direction, excellent post, couldn’t agree more.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

I think Colin left because he already knew about the fate of this game, don’t get me wrong it will succeed, but not as the GW2 we all knew once, hell it won’t be a Guild Wars game anymore…

Also can we talk about E-Sports too? I know it’s not PvE but it kinda affect it since groups of “teenagers” seems to be the directors of the balance team by ordering nerfs and buffs to the classes they want only for PvP.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

I guess the question is:
Is Anet serious about trying to better this game, or will they jump ship from the Titanic?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Let’s not be too hard on the guy, please.

If he’d been fired for GW2’s current state, I’m sure they’d be making some big news about a “new direction” or whatever with him leaving. So, not fired.

And it was part of his job to be the big face on the front of the hype train. Which means that he takes every failure and roadblock in the teeth. Being a public face and having to spout PR BS during that can be tough. (I’m sure Gaile agrees, even if she can’t say so.) When you reach a point where you’re about to post what you REALLY think on some things, it may be time to move on.

Yes, I’m sure there will be changes. But they won’t be right away. The path is set for at least the rest of this year. We might see minor changes from his replacement before the end of the year, but it’s more likely that we won’t see any real impact until 2017.

I for one wish him and his family the best of luck. Just… you know… far away from GW2. I may not hate the guy, I don’t even know him, but the public image he presented was annoying as kitten and I’m glad it’s gone.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

It is almost like Anet troll us.

Anet have staff meeting:

“What are least popular game mode for our customer?”

“I think eSport and raid”

“Okay so let do this. Make broken eSport PvP league most do not care about. Put some icon by player name to show this and also spam league notify in UI. Also let make raid important for PvE and no other PvE content for about year after expansion sell. "

“Sound great.”

“These idiot still buy gem?”

“Yes. Haha because expect more in half year. Why they wait we sell them outfit, wings and glider. HAHA. Idiots.”

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Andulias.9516

Andulias.9516

So much baseless hate, with people like you around, no wonder Anet doesn’t post here often.

Raids being in the game is not a bad decision or has bad implementation, what the hell are you talking about OP? 5-6 people work on raids, that has no impact on the rest of the game at all.

Colin was not fired, did not leave because the game was dying, he left on good terms and clearly stated why.

The game is far from dying. To quote NcSoft, it’s one of the main revenue drivers consistently.

LS3 is probably coming in July. That’s the quarter update right after May/June, I hope you do realize that?

PvP leagues are not broken. They are working quite well.

(edited by Andulias.9516)

Posted by: battledrone.8315

battledrone.8315

i hope he finds a good job
mmo players are like children, it must be very frustrating, to work on that side of the fence
no matter, what they say, or do..they will always get flak from someone

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

I think Colin left because he already knew about the fate of this game, don’t get me wrong it will succeed, but not as the GW2 we all knew once, hell it won’t be a Guild Wars game anymore…

Also can we talk about E-Sports too? I know it’s not PvE but it kinda affect it since groups of “teenagers” seems to be the directors of the balance team by ordering nerfs and buffs to the classes they want only for PvP.

I’m beginning to think that also – raids and esports. Sort of liked that GW2 was different. Now they are just changing it to look like every other MMO many of us hated. Hope I’m wrong.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

MashMash.1645

So much baseless hate, with people like you around, no wonder Anet doesn’t post here often.

Raids being in the game is not a bad decision or has bad implementation, what the hell are you talking about OP? 5-6 people work on raids, that has no impact on the rest of the game at all.

Colin was not fired, did not leave because the game was dying, he left on good terms and clearly stated why.

The game is far from dying. To quote NcSoft, it’s one of the main revenue drivers consistently.

LS3 is probably coming in July. That’s the quarter update right after May/June, I hope you do realize that?

re Colin, thats what they say, that he left amicably. But thats what most companies say – because it looks better. Facts are the xpac didnt do as well as expected, and Colin is the guy in charge. He, as game director, is ultimaltely responsible for the game performance.

Lets face it. Things for a long while now have been…. unsettled (perhaps not the right word im looking for). The game has had many system changes, and tweaks, but has never quite reached that ‘outstanding’ level that it should have, given the time and resources thrown at it. We all know this. I think perhaps the xpacs not exactly universal success – it was rushed and unfinished – basically gave them an excuse for Colin to bow out gracefully. The games development is so uneven and hodgepodge – dungeons, wvw, pvp, etc. The list goes on and on.

As for pvp, yeah it is a little broken, given how horribly ranked is being abused. Im not surprised i guess – people are nothing if not ingenious! lol.

Anywho, out of all of this, i hope whoever they get to replace colin focuses more on pumping out content regularly and less on system changes. We’ve had enough!

Andulias.9516

re Colin, thats what they say, that he left amicably. But thats what most companies say – because it looks better. Facts are the xpac didnt do as well as expected, and Colin is the guy in charge. He, as game director, is ultimaltely responsible for the game performance.

Lets face it. Things for a long while now have been…. unsettled (perhaps not the right word im looking for). The game has had many system changes, and tweaks, but has never quite reached that ‘outstanding’ level that it should have, given the time and resources thrown at it. We all know this. I think perhaps the xpacs not exactly universal success – it was rushed and unfinished – basically gave them an excuse for Colin to bow out gracefully. The games development is so uneven and hodgepodge – dungeons, wvw, pvp, etc. The list goes on and on.

As for pvp, yeah it is a little broken, given how horribly ranked is being abused. Im not surprised i guess – people are nothing if not ingenious! lol.

Anywho, out of all of this, i hope whoever they get to replace colin focuses more on pumping out content regularly and less on system changes. We’ve had enough!

That’s also what HE himself said. And what YOU are saying right now isn’t true one bit. Isn’t true for Anet either. Remember what happened to the dungeons team guy? There was no “we are still friends”, he just disappeared.

No MMO is perfect, no MMO has nothing wrong with it. Not. One. Game. In that regard IMO GW2 is definitely one of the much better ones and the core gameplay is fun as hell. But nobody gives Colin any credit for that.

Colin himself already stated TWO MONTHS ago that they will stop adding systems, everything is in place and they will focus on content only, with the exception being WvW. It would be nice of people to actually read the blog posts Anet puts out.

MashMash.1645

That’s also what HE himself said. And what YOU are saying right now isn’t true one bit. Isn’t true for Anet either. Remember what happened to the dungeons team guy? There was no “we are still friends”, he just disappeared.

No MMO is perfect, no MMO has nothing wrong with it. Not. One. Game. In that regard IMO GW2 is definitely one of the much better ones and the core gameplay is fun as hell. But nobody gives Colin any credit for that.

Colin himself already stated TWO MONTHS ago that they will stop adding systems, everything is in place and they will focus on content only, with the exception being WvW. It would be nice of people to actually read the blog posts Anet puts out.

Ive read many blog posts over the years. They always say they are doing this and that with thier grand plans. And its almost always turned out to be bogus – perhaps for very good reasons, but still they havent delivered. Remember the big WvW update that was supposed to be here BY NOW? Or the Fractal Leaderboards? Or a lot of the things in the expansion? Exactly.

So, you’ll have to excuse me if i dont have much confidence in them, or thier claims. Who’s to say they wont just change direction once again? They’ve done it many times before.

As for Colin, well, he’s hardly likely to say otherwise is he? And that doesnt stop them personally liking him, or missing him when he leaves. But he’s failed at a lot of things – the game has had many missteps over the last few years. This is not a secret. This is, being coldly objective, a great time to change game directors. I hope they get a good one that can really fix the game and actually put out quality content volume – not just system changes.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Colin left for a job to be closer to his wife and kid. Not that many would understand that reason. After a decade at ArenaNet, I don’t think anyone would leave over the expansion not doing as well as expected.

But hey, people like a scapegoat they can blame for everything. Not that it’s in any way realistic, but it makes them hopeful.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve almost never seen a company under fire say that someone is leaving on good terms. They want to make it clear that they’re taking charge and reacting to the problem. That restores confidence in the company.

This sort of thing serves no purpose. They didn’t announce a new direction, or say anything was changing.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

What Colin says with regard to his leaving the company might be true, or it might be what a nice severance package bought them. We’ll never know, and I don’t care.

Andulias.9516

Ive read many blog posts over the years. They always say they are doing this and that with thier grand plans. And its almost always turned out to be bogus – perhaps for very good reasons, but still they havent delivered. Remember the big WvW update that was supposed to be here BY NOW? Or the Fractal Leaderboards? Or a lot of the things in the expansion? Exactly.

So, you’ll have to excuse me if i dont have much confidence in them, or thier claims. Who’s to say they wont just change direction once again? They’ve done it many times before.

As for Colin, well, he’s hardly likely to say otherwise is he? And that doesnt stop them personally liking him, or missing him when he leaves. But he’s failed at a lot of things – the game has had many missteps over the last few years. This is not a secret. This is, being coldly objective, a great time to change game directors. I hope they get a good one that can really fix the game and actually put out quality content volume – not just system changes.

They have also clearly stated what’s the statuses of these updates. Please look into it more.

Fractals leaderboards didn’t work as intended. And honestly, who needs that anyways, I agree that there are much more pressing concerns.

WvW is already getting updates and the whole thing will be delivered over time. Quite recently the much hated Oasis event for example was turned off.

They have a track record of not delivering, but recently it’s been the polar opposite. We do have a dedicated fractals team and we are getting new fractals this year. Raid wings actually do get released every couple of months.

Yes, I agree, sometimes in the past they haven’t delivered, but how’s about waiting to see what happens before passing a final judgement?

Manasa Devi.7958

Yes, turning off content. That’s delivering!

For the moment, it’s all talk except for the raids.

Vayne.8563

People said that before every update that appeared out of nowhere. It’s happened all along. It’s always all talk until it happens.

People said there wouldn’t be an expansion even though it was being worked on for some time. People said there wouldn’t be a new profession. There wouldn’t be new maps. People said gliding would never come to central Tyria.

Turning off an event that is not liked to make something more appealing is a tiny step in the right direction, but I don’t understand why anyone would think major changes aren’t coming to WvW.

Manasa Devi.7958

Look, when they deliver, they’ve delivered.

When they’re announcing future deliveries, they’re talking.

It’s not rocket science.

Vayne.8563

Look, when they deliver, they’ve delivered.

When they’re announcing future deliveries, they’re talking.

It’s not rocket science.

No it’s not. But pointing out that most of the stuff they’ve talked about HAS been delivered is not rocket science either. They’re usually delivering something. When people complained about culling it was fixed. We didn’t expect the fix, but it was done. When people complained about the trait system, they were working on it. It eventually got fixed. When people complained about the falling bug, or even the gliding lag when opening gliders, people thought they weren’t working on it.

Considering Anet has likely implemented more than 90% of what they talked about, and I think a bit of research would bear that out, saying it’s just talk is misleading. Saying it’s talk is not really the case. They’re said they’re working on it and if I see very little reason not to believe it’s true. Stuff just takes longer to deliver than some people seem to think it does.

Manasa Devi.7958

You should read the post right before me, the one I responded to, and place my post in that context.

WvW is already getting updates and the whole thing will be delivered over time. Quite recently the much hated Oasis event for example was turned off.

They have a track record of not delivering, but recently it’s been the polar opposite. We do have a dedicated fractals team and we are getting new fractals this year. Raid wings actually do get released every couple of months."

The polar opposite? They’ve delivered hardly anything significant in ages, except for raids.

Sure, they’ll release something someday, that’s usually been the case (far from always.) But for now, it’s all talk.

Vayne.8563

You should read the post right before me, the one I responded to, and place my post in that context.

They have a track record of not delivering, but recently it’s been the polar opposite. We do have a dedicated fractals team and we are getting new fractals this year. Raid wings actually do get released every couple of months."

The polar opposite? They’ve delivered hardly anything significant in ages, except for raids.

Sure, they’ll release something someday, that’s usually been the case (far from always.) But for now, it’s all talk.

Well some people would say HoT is significant. Obviously you don’t like it, so it’s not but saying hot is insignificant is just your opinion.

WvW has had some minor changes and it has a new map. The new map was not well received but it’s significant. If nothing else it was significant enough to cause people to leave WvW. Significant doesn’t have to mean good.

There has been a significant change to WvW and that’s one of the reasons people are complaining. It’s not that it didn’t get a change, it’s that they didn’t like the change it got.

Manasa Devi.7958

Hot wasn’t part of the discussion I added to so no, I’m not taking it into account.

Something being delivered by a product you just paid for is too obvious to even contemplate. Of course it delivered something.

Andulias.9516

What content was turned off? The new BLs were a huge update. A bad and incomplete one, but it still completely invalidates your previous statement. I’m going to sound like an kitten, but I can’t take your posts seriously if you are making things up.

In addition, I was going to list some of the changes people requested and Anet delivered, but Vayne already did it for me. Manasa, you are being very unfair here. What you are saying simply isn’t true.

(edited by Andulias.9516)

FrizzFreston.5290

To see what they delivered one would just need to read the patch notes. While not new content, I wouldn’t say it was nothing. Though I can agree that some of those changes more features that are adapted so easily that it’s usually forgotten that those aren’t so old at all.

please read these patch notes and tell us again theyre doing nothing.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-January-26-2016

The next set of updates like that is in a months time. So yeah, patience is a virtue.

Raids and leagues have had their own update. So did Lunar New Year, although one can argue that wasn’t exactly new content.

Funny thing to add is that all the things in January’s blogposts have been added so far. Made by Colin himself.

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Manasa Devi.7958

QoL changes, polish, bug fixes and a festival rerun with everything that was bad about it still just as bad with some extra “world full” badness stacked on top of the only substantial part of it.

Nothing worth logging in for if you didn’t already have a good reason to log in the day before.

FrizzFreston.5290

I’m just saying they are delivering.

If it’s not important to you, you’re entitled to your opinion.

Andulias.9516

QoL changes, polish, bug fixes and a festival rerun with everything that was bad about it still just as bad with some extra “world full” badness stacked on top of the only substantial part of it.

Nothing worth logging in for if you didn’t already have a good reason to log in the day before.

We have repeatedly shown with each and every response in this thread that nothing you are saying is true. Re-evaluate your approach to this. Your concern is valid, the way you present it isn’t.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

They could turn this game into Roblox alpha and there’s at least 2 guys who would spend a good chunk of every day defending the changes. When there are so few people posting that you know commentors by name, but not seen a friend in game for a year…

Posted by: Moderator

[This thread appears to have runs its course, thank you for the discussion.]