How HoT makes me feel

How HoT makes me feel

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: BrotherTycko.9504

BrotherTycko.9504

So while attempting to explore Verdant Brink I started to feel claustrophobic at first. After about 40 min or so of running around it finally got to me and I had to leave the map because I was beginning to feel ill.

Just wanted to let the devs know and to see if its just me or if there are others that have experienced the same thing while moving through Verdant Brink.

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Do any other parts of the game do that to you? I had no such reaction at all. I’m not RL claustrophobic in the slightest unless it’s people surrounding me rather than walls, nor do I mind heights, so I didn’t get the vertigo I’d have thought more likely in the Brink.

Games can trigger phobias, to be sure, but I’m not sure which parts of the Brink would do that other than some short tunnels.

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Didn’t feel so HoT huh? Ya i didn’t like the vertical map, i played for about 30 min and went back to farming mats for a legendary.

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: Vooriden.3927

Vooriden.3927

I liked the fact that it’s different from all the maps we got before.
it’s true that it’s kinda messy but it’s a jungle !

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Felt too much like Kid Icarus.

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Can’t say I really like the map. There’s no defining landmarks, and the various shades of green and orange (and almost nothing else) wash everything out. Its also odd that for the size of the map, it doesn’t really feel open. Most of it is empty space, and there isn’t even anything cool to look at on the other side of that empty space (for example, seeing Divinity’s reach in the distance on one map), just vines, vines, some metal wreckage, a canyon or ravine or two, and more vines. Not a great experience at all for the very beginning of the expansion.

Compare that to any starting area that has well defined landmarks, feels open and gives you freedom to explore, is vivid with color, and has almost no empty space. There is also plenty of cool stuff to look at that draws your attention to it, making you want to go there and see what it is. I feel none of this in the new area.

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: BrotherTycko.9504

BrotherTycko.9504

@Donari No, there are no other parts of the game that make me feel this way. I believe it is the combination of narrow pathways and mobs/npc that are everywhere. I very rarely do not get claustrophobic but when the entire map (which they have revealed so far) is nothing but narrow pathways clogged with mobs/npc I apparently can’t handle it for too long.

The only other video game(s) that made me feel sick in any way was 007 Goldeneye and Perfect Dark both for N64. Only on certain maps I would get motion sickness.

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: nathanjameson.3542

nathanjameson.3542

Didn’t feel so HoT huh? Ya i didn’t like the vertical map, i played for about 30 min and went back to farming mats for a legendary.

I think we are remarkably different gamers then.

Karma Express – Norn Guardian commander

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I didn’t feel as if I couldn’t remain in the map. However, I agree that without gliding or other elite movement skills, it does feel confining.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

How HoT makes me feel

Posted by: Danel.8573

Danel.8573

It’s really unfortunate that the game actually made you feel sick. I never had that kind of experience.

However, in regards to gameplay and atmosphere of Verdant Brink, I just love how the map isn’t very open and that it makes you feel confined and uncomfortable. I mean think what happened there. It’s a post-catastrophic setting. An entire fleet got destroyed and probably thousand people died. The more the map can deliver those impressions of chaos, disorientation , sorrow and loss, the more I can emphasize with that situation. I don’t want to run through the wreckage of the pact thinking how open and beautiful the environment feels to me.