How am I supposed to be leveling masteries?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gashslapper.2867

Gashslapper.2867

Q:

I haven’t played this game since the original story, I skipped the Scarlet and Living World stuff, so this may be obvious to many, but it’s not too me.

What is the best way to level post 80 in the new zones?

So I thought the expansion wasn’t going to have levels…but instead I am now finding all content gated by masteries, which are effectively levels…so how is the best way to go about gaining XP now since so far I do not have any dungeons in the new zones that I have found (or mailed to me rather) and all I see are people doing events, which are fine, but they give next to nothing on the XP, I can’t imagine grinding those all day.

I’m stuck at having to learn up draft now or whatever the second Glidery Mastery is and honestly I’m starting to wonder why I even bothered to buy this game.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

A:

The Maguuma masteries are far more annoying to me than the Tyria masteries despite the Tyria content being old. There’s just so much more variety in what you can do to level Tyria masteries.

For the Muguuma ones, you can finish your 4 maps and grind through the events on those maps over and over. Or do the maps multiple times on multiple alts. This is all I can think of to do for those. The lack of variety of events just makes this feel longer and grindier to me.

Posted by: shonn.5037

shonn.5037

basicly you spend the $20.00 bucks or more to open up your old purple color storys.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Here’s how to exp in HoT and it’s quite simple….

Buy heroic boosters.

They have lowered exp rates to minuscule rates in order to ‘encourage’ you to buy the super powerful heroic boosters and that is clear.

Case in point, unboosted I did 4x day/night cycles + an entire DS event to conclusion last night and that yeilded me 10% of a MR level. If I had used boosters I would have gotten an entire MR level. I know this since I have been using some boosters I had saved for a rainy day up until I ran out; the difference is really noticable unboosted/vs boosted.

working as intended

GW2 direction is towards the true F2P business model with game systems heavily designed around the CS to make people get frustrated enough to pay up. And what is sad, it seems to be working. I fully expect them to nerf loot drop rates across the board to get players to buy the loot boosters in the near future as well.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The Masteries system was developed based on feedback by the community during a massive long discussion about horizontal progression and is a variation of a system affectionately known as “Metroidvania” – ie using the same progression system as Metroid and later Castlevania games from the 90’s.

Background aside, to level them, you “play the game”. The best way to do that is events , adventures (v good xp) and story. They generate the highest bursts of xp. The more you involve yourself in the map events and metas, the faster your masteries will level. An individual event wont show much movement, but a chain of events suddenly becomes a lot of xp.

As an advantage, the system is account bound, so any alts going in will contribute as well.

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

I’ve found once you get the basic ones out of the way (1st level of each line and updrafts for gliding), working on HoT Mysteries isn’t that bad. I wander, do events and map completions, swap to alts and work on Hero Points for their specializations, help friends and guildies in HoT… and generally just try to have fun and not worry about the Masteries, and after a while I’ll notice my XP bar has filled up. Weee!

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I’ve found once you get the basic ones out of the way (1st level of each line and updrafts for gliding), working on HoT Mysteries isn’t that bad. I wander, do events and map completions, swap to alts and work on Hero Points for their specializations, help friends and guildies in HoT… and generally just try to have fun and not worry about the Masteries, and after a while I’ll notice my XP bar has filled up. Weee!

Agreed. The old adage of a watched pot never boiling is very on point here.

I did SW for the pack mastery and before I know it I was done. Relax and enjoy the scenery you will get there eventually.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Agreed. The old adage of a watched pot never boiling is very on point here.

I did SW for the pack mastery and before I know it I was done. Relax and enjoy the scenery you will get there eventually.

Quoting again for truth!

I have 31 Mastery’s in HoT and 10 in core Tyria ( Legendary track, almost done with it! ), just from playing the game. In HoT, I run around and do events mainly. If I’m on an empty overflow map then I’ll pop some boosters if I have some, Halloween food/utility for 15% more experience, and start killing mobs since they’re so dense.

Same for core Tyria, except I’m also doing map completion on a Revenant before I hop on over to HoT. It’s really not that hard folks.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Buy heroic boosters.

They have lowered exp rates to minuscule rates in order to ‘encourage’ you to buy the super powerful heroic boosters and that is clear.

Case in point, unboosted I did 4x day/night cycles + an entire DS event to conclusion last night and that yeilded me 10% of a MR level. If I had used boosters I would have gotten an entire MR level. I know this since I have been using some boosters I had saved for a rainy day up until I ran out; the difference is really noticable unboosted/vs boosted.

working as intended

GW2 direction is towards the true F2P business model with game systems heavily designed around the CS to make people get frustrated enough to pay up. And what is sad, it seems to be working. I fully expect them to nerf loot drop rates across the board to get players to buy the loot boosters in the near future as well.

Ugh, that’s bad.

I don’t mind paying for cosmetic stuff (and I have done so, in this game) but if/when a game becomes P2W, I’m out.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Buy heroic boosters.

working as intended

Ugh, that’s bad.

I don’t mind paying for cosmetic stuff (and I have done so, in this game) but if/when a game becomes P2W, I’m out.

Its description is pretty wildly off and exaggerated for effect. It might also be forgetting that each level of Mastery costs 2x the exp of the last so that might be distorting its vision too.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Buy heroic boosters.

working as intended

Ugh, that’s bad.

Its not pay to win mate its pay to skip ( aka not play as much as the next guy)

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Buy heroic boosters.

working as intended

Ugh, that’s bad.

Its not pay to win mate its pay to skip ( aka not play as much as the next guy)

IDK, I guess in a way it is, especially as the masteries are only really of any use in those zones.

We all have different ideas of what “winning” is, that is the problem.

For example, personally, I don’t view accumulating lots of gold as “winning”.

I just think of gold as a means to an end (as I will typically spend it on fripperies, anyway).

But, I know some people do.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

It’s not pay to win. Pay to win would be giving paying players mechanical advantages that can only be acquired through paying.

Instead, it’s Fee To Pay. A full priced game with “optional” microtransactions. You buy it to earn the privilege of being able to pay more.

No, the gem<>gold currency exchange doesn’t change that.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It’s not pay to win. Pay to win would be giving paying players mechanical advantages that can only be acquired through paying.

Instead, it’s Fee To Pay. A full priced game with “optional” microtransactions. You buy it to earn the privilege of being able to pay more.

No, the gem<>gold currency exchange doesn’t change that.

Except this isn’t a single player game like Dead Space or w/e.

This game costs Anet money to keep online.

The development team and servers run on cash and thus one will have to pay in some form or another.

Pay money in a cash shop or pay money as a monthly fee. There’s no other feasible option that has been discovered to date.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…