How did beta attendees get chosen?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

Title says it all.
Just wondering because I’ve noticed people are starting to get invites, and I’m kinda of surprised (as well as being an entitled little baby, but hey) that I didn’t get one. Simply because I’ve, you know, been playing since the first beta of the base game, have clocked thousands of hours, spent a bunch of cash on the gem store, have never been suspended or banned or anything like that (AND applied for the beta).

If it was just random that’s totally understandable but I’m just…like I said, surprised, and I guess a little bit disappointed that I won’t be one of the people who get to participate in this.

So was it just random selection or was there some hidden criteria?

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

Random. RNG. Luck of the draw. They had some names in a hat, and went bobbing for apples with them.

One of the above, or all of them. Take your pick.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Canakun.8031

I mean I know it’s only two hours so it’s not a huge issue but just the idea that others will get to check it out and I won’t is a little disheartening. I’ll get the chance eventually though I’m sure :P

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Those of us chosen get to check out disconnects, lag, and other great features this time around. I wouldn’t sweat it. Open Beta will happen and it’ll probably be a lot more fun to actually play. Of course, getting an early sneak test run does make one feel special for no legitimate reason.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Do note that it has been said that this initial invite is for a smaller group. They will send more later on. As far as selection goes, it is possible that ArenaNet prioritized players who were in prior closed beta or even earlier tests as well as those who provided really good feedback in the open betas. Another possibility is the amount of gems people bought with actual money, but don’t quote me on that.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Canakun.8031

Thanks guys, you all made me feel a bit less jealous.

Posted by: goda.3572

goda.3572

Honestly, i really think that they choosed players based on amount of time passed in game, i got choosed (i have over 4.3k hours on my main account), my teammate that have similar amount of time played got choosed too, some other big players that i know too, but didn’t saw any casual friend invited.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think they based the selection off of time played. Or anything else other than a random draw.

For every reason someone has suggested, someone else has proven they are outside the parameters.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

At least it was actually random this time and not made up people like with the NPE excuse. I still don’t know how those people were surveyed etc. since every time I uninstalled the uninstall survey didn’t work until they removed it.

Starting to see a pattern to Anet – release things that don’t work, leave them festering for months, remove it, done!

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Based on the info I’ve seen there is no consistency between who got in and who didn’t. Which makes me think the only condition was that you had to sign up for the newsletter. After that it was completely random.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Play GW2 since launch. 5.3K play time. AP 26200 (TOP 50 on leaderboard)
Got GWAMM from GW1. Spent at least 20k gems through credit card transaction.

DIDN’T GET PICKED.

So loyalty, play time, gem spent, AP, GW1 credit, are none factors in choosing samples.
It’s just random RNG selection from all accounts.

That.. doesn’t prove anything. It might still be that it was random amongst the ‘loyal players’ or that it was random amongst all players but that ‘loyal players’ had a higher chance of getting picked. We have no way of knowing outside of them outright telling us.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Anet made a bunch of cardboard cutouts of eligible players, then stood them up in a field, and then Colin carried a big triangle with an eye on it around the field and whichever cardboard cutouts fell over a certain way as he passed by determined which players were ‘Chosen’.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Kaiden Valor.7163

Kaiden Valor.7163

Anet made a bunch of cardboard cutouts of eligible players, then stood them up in a field, and then Colin carried a big triangle with an eye on it around the field and whichever cardboard cutouts fell over a certain way as he passed by determined which players were ‘Chosen’.

:/

Does that mean when we get to the beta we’re actually going to be sacrificed?

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

I got chosen but i expected it.

Reaper – Anguîsh

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

I think the selection is purely random. I will be sadly at work on Wednesday, but I should be able to attend Tuesday, 24 March from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Closed Beta Stress Test. Two hours is very short time to test so many new features and so much new content, so sadly I will be able to just scratch the surface.

My main interest lies in these:
- revenant (new profession)
- Stronghold (new pvp mode)
- new WvWvW borderland map (I am not sure if this is in the test?)
- new weapons and masteries for each profession

I plan to make many screen shots.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

^ The stress tests isn’t mainly there to test stuff as such, but more to see server stability and such. Thus why it is so short.

I believe it will be the demo-build that is being tested. So WvW and new weapons (ergo Specializations) will not be in.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I noticed pretty much everyone i know was chosen but I have not. Even players I know who haven’t played in 4-5 months have received them.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

So far I’m the only one in my guild who got one that I know of. Even my GM who has played since GW1, done a ton of fantastic GW-related art, visited ANet HQ and applied for employment there, even she hasn’t got one.

I’m also the only one in my guild who posts a lot on these forums … but as people have noted invites going to those who only just got the game, that can’t be the deciding factor.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Selection was random afaik. It couldn’t have been based on amount of gems, because I was chosen, and there are definitely many that bought more than I did. No, it’s not a conspiracy like that. Perhaps time spent in gw2 could have influenced, but idk since new people apparently also got it. So I’d say random owners of GW2.

It’s just a stress test. I mean, how much are you going to get to look at in 2 hours? or even 4 if you get to hit both. They are wanting us to test the underlying system, possibly primarily the new integrated beta system itself, to stress it and see how it stands up. They are likely to make some changes to it between the 2 tests to see if it handles better on the 2nd. In addition it gives a few more people a look at Revenant so far.

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Based on the info I’ve seen there is no consistency between who got in and who didn’t. Which makes me think the only condition was that you had to sign up for the newsletter. After that it was completely random.

Sign up for newsletter? What newsletter? HoT newsletter? Nope never signed up for it.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

calm down, we all will get a chance, they did say there will be an open beta down the road.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Simply by not complaining about the game.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

rng

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Lunacy Solacio.6514

calm down, we all will get a chance, they did say there will be an open beta down the road.

That, there will be other closed, as well as open betas, and this is just a stress test. About all it accomplishes from the player standpoint is leave you wanting more. But it is putting a larger test on things Anet wants to try to stress/break while hoping it stands up than they can do in house. Went through all that the stress tests before release of GW2, you aren’t missing a lot except feeling left out.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

We were chosen because we are pure at heart, clean of mind, brush our teeth at least 3 times a day and perform miracles on a regular basis.

RNG might have been a factor also.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

RNG hope they let new set of player test the next one so we all can try it

Posted by: CallLiberty.7358

CallLiberty.7358

Has to be RNG…considering my 2 month old alternate account was chosen, yet my close to a year old account was not. I’m not complaining, though.

Don’t read this.

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Pretty sure it’s completely random and not based on anything, any “theory” has been shot down since some people that have literally just bought the game and signed up got in, they just took everyone that signed up for the newsletter and then just randomly picked user-names… Bit disappointing I didn’t get in but, I guess what can you do?

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Do note that it has been said that this initial invite is for a smaller group. They will send more later on. As far as selection goes, it is possible that ArenaNet prioritized players who were in prior closed beta or even earlier tests as well as those who provided really good feedback in the open betas. Another possibility is the amount of gems people bought with actual money, but don’t quote me on that.

Your speculations are completely unfounded. I wasn’t in other betas or earlier tests. i have provided minimal info on glitches in game. I buy a few gems but nothing crazy. I don’t PvP. I don’t have 20,000 AP, and I haven’t sent cake to anyone at ANet.

Seriously people. It was random from a large pool of probably millions of players, including you and you and you. Chill out.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

We were chosen because we are pure at heart, clean of mind, brush our teeth at least 3 times a day and perform miracles on a regular basis.

RNG might have been a factor also.

LOL… thanks for the hearty laugh

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

Congratulations! As one of our most loyal players, we value your feedback. We want to invite you to join us on March 24 to stress test Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™* and find out what you think.

Umm, sounds random, am EXTREMELY happy though

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

In my mind I see a big Ouija board .

The truth is probably far more boring.

And practical.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

5.2K playtime

I blame Zommoros.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I would say that the amount of time youve been playing the game (as in how long you have had the game + current activity + newsletter subscriptions were the only factors that were considered.

Because really, AP, gems spend, time spend don’t really matter when it comes to loyalty. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just the newsletter + last login .

I can’t believe it would be anything else than that.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

5.2K playtime

I blame Zommoros.

OMG!! yes yes yes.

I just checked my e-mail and i already got an Invite 2 days ago, DAM U Gmail for putting it in Promotions tab.

So freaking happy, thank you ANet.

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

Completely random.
None of my current playing guild members were picked.
However a guildie who only played for a few months and hasnt logged in for almost 3 months was picked.

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

I’d give you mine if I could, because the times don’t suit me at all being in Australia I was so keen for it too!

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

that´s good tinfoil material right there. But Beta testing is not a reward, it is a necessity and a chore. To actually get useful results, you need to randomize a larger group or specifically invite people with a plethora of different computer specs. I doubt they have the data for latter, so random it is. Any favoritism would bite them in the ankle later when implementing a working live system.

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

It’s not a secret…

“Subscribe to the Guild Wars 2 newsletter to get the latest news about the expansion and our upcoming beta tests! Closed beta testers will be drawn from active players and loyal customers who are also newsletter subscribers. Participants will be notified by email.”

You can sign up here, if you’re interested in any future HoT closed beta events: https://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/en/newsletter

PS Make sure you sign up with the same email that’s associated with your GW2 account.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Loke Trickster.7514

Loke Trickster.7514

Most were chosen by rng. I got chosen for my noobability, as they need someone to check out downed state on a regular basis.

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

When info about newsletter was published I did exactly what was said there: subscribed the newsletter. This was the only requirement and the rest was obviously a rng. Why are ppl feeling entitled for the beta? Which isnt even a beta? It was obvious not everyone is going to be chosen. Is pegi 12 too low?

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

My hunch based completely anecdotal,

1. length of customer
2. prior Beta/Alpha testing
3. play-time availability (online during) the times of testing
4. achievement points on your account (experienced in all facets of the game) or potentially completion of the story/living story.

Note, gem buying has likely very little to do with beta invite (in fact, the opposite is just as likely to be true). However, if you are confirmed press (need to know the right people), you are in.

And obviously, you need to opt-in/sign up to be chosen.

I’m certain there will be twitter invites and other things so do not give up all hope.

Remember, this is beta. It’s about the vets trying to break things and give feedback. It’s nice to be one of the few but it isn’t going to be all cake and ice cream.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I don’t remember filling out any forms or entering my email anywhere to get an invite. But, I have the beta character slot showing so I guess that means I’m in. My guess is either that my recent gem purchases or Achievment points (I am top 100 NA) got me in.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Laxjimmy.4102

Laxjimmy.4102

“Congratulations! As one of our most loyal players” This doesn’t sound random to me.

signed, a less than most loyal player…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My hunch based completely anecdotal,

1. length of customer
2. prior Beta/Alpha testing
3. play-time availability (online during) the times of testing
4. achievement points on your account (experienced in all facets of the game) or potentially completion of the story/living story.

Note, gem buying has likely very little to do with beta invite (in fact, the opposite is just as likely to be true). However, if you are confirmed press (need to know the right people), you are in.

And obviously, you need to opt-in/sign up to be chosen.

I’m certain there will be twitter invites and other things so do not give up all hope.

Remember, this is beta. It’s about the vets trying to break things and give feedback. It’s nice to be one of the few but it isn’t going to be all cake and ice cream.

2. I doubt this is a factor given how many people said they were in the pre-release betas and didn’t get into this one. And alpha testing is all done in-house. I suppose it’s possible some people who do it could also have accounts on the actual servers and could have signed up and gotten in, but it wouldn’t surprise me if by now they’re sick of playing HoT.

3. Clearly isn’t a factor given how many people have said they got in but can’t make one or both of the times. I’m going to be 10 minutes late to the first one and will have to miss the second completely, but I got in.

Being a member of the press might get you in, but I would have thought in that case they would contact people directly (or have a separate, more private sign-up scheme) rather than asking them to sign up for a mailing list and then sifting through all the email addresses to determine which ones belong to members of the press.

I don’t remember filling out any forms or entering my email anywhere to get an invite. But, I have the beta character slot showing so I guess that means I’m in. My guess is either that my recent gem purchases or Achievment points (I am top 100 NA) got me in.

You’ll have signed up for the GW2 newsletter at some point in the past. That’s all it takes and the news letter has been around since before the game so it’s not surprising some people signed up and forgot. I didn’t realise until I went to sign up that I was already on the list.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You have to make the Drok’s Run in 12 parsecs…

Posted by: NYG.2568

NYG.2568

I would take a stab at how many hours logged and Gems purchased!

Remember we don’t draw on cave walls anymore.Language and texts have evolved since.

Lunacy Solacio.6514

I would take a stab at how many hours logged and Gems purchased!

That was already debunked numerous times, since some people that have spent almost nothing in gems, other’s second accounts, still others quite new players.

It’s RNG. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Good question. One of my german friends posted this letter to their fb.

“Glückwunsch! Als einer unserer treuesten Spieler legen wir Wert auf dein Feedback. Wir wollen dich deshalb dazu einladen, am 24. März Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™* einem Stresstest zu unterziehen und uns deine Meinung mitzuteilen.
bald gehts los wink emoticon” soon gehts los"

“Congratulations! As one of our most loyal players we attach importance to your feedback. We want to invite you therefore, on March 24th, Guild Wars 2: heart of thorns ™ * to undergo a stress test and to tell us your opinion.”

How do these kittens determine loyalty?

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

“As one of our most loyal players”
=>
You bought the game and have been playing it a lot, and you signed up for the newsletter and hence ballot to enter the closed beta.

It is simply wording of a letter to those who get selected; you’re one of the loyal players, just as loyal as all the other players not selected for this closed beta.

Loyal is not the paramount here, people go off on a needless rage and think they’re not loyal because they weren’t selected. X million copies sold of GW2, obviously not all players are going into the closed beta.

It’s RNG; you put your name in a hat, some were drawn, possibly not yours – and neither was mine. I know I’m a loyal player, and I’m certainly NOT affronted by this e-mail sent to the beta attendees.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season