How do map rewards work?!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MAUS HOUS.8047

MAUS HOUS.8047

So I’ve been playing on Verdant Brink alot since the release of HoT but I havent got a single map reward? Can somebody enlighten me on how they work and how I can unlock them and progress to the next rewards?

Thanks!

Holla. At. Me.

Posted by: ZachAttack.3957

ZachAttack.3957

I am assuming you are talking about the map bonuses system. The way you get these is by doing about 1.8 events/jumping puzzles/mini dungeons (assuming DR hasn’t kicked in). There is a primary reward for each zone, which is the first reward you will ever receive in the zone. After doing the 1.8 events/etc (again, assuming DR hasn’t kicked in) you will get whatever is listed as the “next reward”, and then another item is selected from the list of possible rewards and put in as the next reward (this can be the primary reward again as well). Whether the process is by random selection or not is unclear; however, upon getting a reward other than the primary reward, it will always cycle back to the primary reward and slot it back in as your next reward. After getting (I think) 10 rewards you will have 10x of the primary reward slotted in as the next reward. Keep in mind that if you do enough events, you will receive all the rewards on the list (it will usually take about 45 minutes – 1 hour to cycle through all the possible rewards).

I’m not sure if the function is bugged for VB, or if you need to have map completion to receive them, so if you have been doing events I’m not sure why you haven’t gotten any.

(edited by ZachAttack.3957)

MAUS HOUS.8047

I am assuming you are talking about the map bonuses system. The way you get these is by doing about 1.8 events/jumping puzzles/mini dungeons (assuming DR hasn’t kicked in). There is a primary reward for each zone, which is the first reward you will ever receive in the zone. After doing the 1.8 events/etc (again, assuming DR hasn’t kicked in) you will get whatever is listed as the “next reward”, and then another item is selected from the list of possible rewards and put in as the next reward (this can be the primary reward again as well). Whether the process is by random selection or not is unclear; however, upon getting a reward other than the primary reward, it will always cycle back to the primary reward and slot it back in as your next reward. After getting (I think) 10 rewards you will have 10x of the primary reward slotted in as the next reward. Keep in mind that if you do enough events, you will receive all the rewards on the list (it will usually take about 45 minutes – 1 hour to cycle through all the possible rewards).

I’m not sure if the function is bugged for VB, or if you need to have map completion to receive them, so if you have been doing events I’m not sure why you haven’t gotten any.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I have been doing tons of events in Verdant Brink! getting 100% of my map progress so I’m definitely doing more then 2 events, maybe it is bugged like you mention? I will try a different map and see if the same thing happens (Or doesn’t happen in my case :P )

Holla. At. Me.

ZachAttack.3957

I’ve only really been doing this in the core tyria maps, notably mount maelstrom. Keep in mind you will receive no notification when you receive a reward- it will pop right into your inventory like a drop from a mob upon pressing “F”. Also remember that DR kicks in after just about an hour and lasts for the next like 4 hours at the least, and it starts to take 5+ events to get one reward.

MAUS HOUS.8047

I’ve only really been doing this in the core tyria maps, notably mount maelstrom. Keep in mind you will receive no notification when you receive a reward- it will pop right into your inventory like a drop from a mob upon pressing “F”. Also remember that DR kicks in after just about an hour and lasts for the next like 4 hours at the least, and it starts to take 5+ events to get one reward.

What is DR? Sorry, I’m a bit of a nub :P

Holla. At. Me.

ZachAttack.3957

DR is diminishing returns. Basically it means if you do something long enough you start to get less rewards for doing it. Take dungeons – first time you run a path you get a certain amount of XP and gold. Every subsequent run of that path you get less and less. It works the same way with grinding mobs- it you grind the same mobs in the same area long enough, DR will hit and hit HARD. You will start to get almost nothing in terms of drops. What this means for map bonuses is that it will start to take more and more events to get the next reward.

MAUS HOUS.8047

DR is diminishing returns. Basically it means if you do something long enough you start to get less rewards for doing it. Take dungeons – first time you run a path you get a certain amount of XP and gold. Every subsequent run of that path you get less and less. It works the same way with grinding mobs- it you grind the same mobs in the same area long enough, DR will hit and hit HARD. You will start to get almost nothing in terms of drops. What this means for map bonuses is that it will start to take more and more events to get the next reward.

Ah yes, I’ve heard about diminishing returns. Thanks for the reply dude! You’ve helped me out.

Holla. At. Me.

ZachAttack.3957

Glad I could be of service