How friendly has the community been

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Exploring hot and helping with basic masteries? I have to be honest so far in my experience it has not been that freindly and it is hard to find a guild that will run through it with you.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well, there are guilds and individuals I’m sure who will help but it wouldn’t hurt for you to remember that the expansion is a year and 7 months old at this point. How often in how many games will you find a lot of players who are eager to stop what they’re doing and go back and play year and a half old content instead of the new content, maps, farms and items to get?

May I suggest you look for other new players. Go to the maps and look for players who have low or no mastery points and offer to team up.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you’re on a US server, hit me up in game. I’ve helped many many people through HoT.

Ryou.2398

Well, there are guilds and individuals I’m sure who will help but it wouldn’t hurt for you to remember that the expansion is a year and 7 months old at this point. How often in how many games will you find a lot of players who are eager to stop what they’re doing and go back and play year and a half old content instead of the new content, maps, farms and items to get?

May I suggest you look for other new players. Go to the maps and look for players who have low or no mastery points and offer to team up.

That would apply if people where not usually friendly in the base game as it is and helpful i dont expect people to help me but i expect groups to be friendly who are doing it everyone i found have been fairly toxic.

Vayne.8563

The reason why SOME people are less “friendly” in HoT is because the content is harder and not everyone is good at typing and playing. It’s easy to type in core tyria, because you’re not as ;likely to die when you do. That has nothing to do with friendly. It has to do with the ability to communicate while in danger.

Plenty of friendly people in HOT who just don’t type well.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Ive, on multiple occasions now, seen individuals and guilds doing guided tours, offering portals through jumping puzzles, etc.

Ive also seen players stop whatever they were doing to help someone who called out in map chat.

And, of course, I have seen players treat others poorly for not knowing how to run an event, meta, etc.

More good than bad in my perception.

Ryou.2398

The reason why SOME people are less “friendly” in HoT is because the content is harder and not everyone is good at typing and playing. It’s easy to type in core tyria, because you’re not as ;likely to die when you do. That has nothing to do with friendly. It has to do with the ability to communicate while in danger.

I did not say friendly I said toxic, perhaps you missed that part?

Ryou.2398

Ive, on multiple occasions now, seen individuals and guilds doing guided tours, offering portals through jumping puzzles, etc.

Ive also seen players stop whatever they were doing to help someone who called out in map chat.

And, of course, I have seen players treat others poorly for not knowing how to run an event, meta, etc.

More good than bad in my perception.

Thank you for sharing I was just curious about other peoples experience, and was expressing mine so far if anyone have an issue with that well maybe they should not post here.

Ryou.2398

[quote=6613193;Ryou.2398:]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What does that mean?

Do you think your experience is a large enough sample to extrapolate to the entire community? Do you really think that players who own HoT represent a dramatically different demographic (and therefore set of personalities) than the main game?

What exactly did you want help with? How did you phrase your request? What was the response?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I see hero point trains on a regular basis, and some of those do mastery points as well.

I think it’s less common, though, because a) mastery points are only needed once per account, while hero points are needed once per character, and b) most mastery points are soloable (and those that aren’t are usually part of map events that people do anyway, so you generally don’t need a specific team).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

Try join a guild that isn’t just a spam guild. Also realize there’s a lot to do in this game, so people maybe be busy and you can’t expect everyone to drop what they are doing just for you. However, with a good guild usually someone is always willing to help. I also find map chat decent, epecially for hero points, or a champion you can’t kill. GW2 system rewards people who help, even redoing a HP give you a reward etc.

GW2 community is about 100x more friendly than any other MMO I’ve played. Play it for awhile and you’ll will see.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

…it is hard to find a guild that will run through it with you.

Don’t ask what a guild can do for you, ask what you can do for a guild.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Vayne.8563

I didn’t miss it. But it certainly hasn’t been my experience. Of course of I’ve seen kittens, but I’ve seen far more helpful people.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I’ve generally found the community to be really friendly, as mentioned above though sometimes people in HoT may not respond quickly as surviving requires more focus if you’re in the middle of something. Sometimes it might also look like a call for help in map chat is being ignored if there’s no answer, but that’s not always the case as often if I see someone I need of help and I’ve not been able to respond straight away then I’ll just drop a whisper to see if helps still needed, or just send a party invite. Same when I’ve asked for help, I’ll often get a whisper or party invite rather than see a reply in map chat.

In HoT maps I do still see frequent HP runs in map chat and LFG also, so there’s still a lot of help there too.

If you’re on EU servers and I’m online feel free to drop me a message if you need help with some things. I’m not exactly a brilliant player, but I can provide a bit of extra firepower to help you out lol

Illconceived Was Na.9781

it is hard to find a guild that will run through it with you.

If you’re on a US server, hit me up in game. I’ve helped many many people through HoT.

Here’s someone offering to help the OP out, no obligation to join a guild. That’s hardly toxic.

@OP: are you not on an NA world?

Posted by: Oneira.7691

Oneira.7691

My experience has been that in an HOT map when I ask for help getting a Mastery point that requires a small group, I get a positive response about 50% of the time. That’s pretty good as far as I’m concerned.

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

@OP: Your question/experience is fair since it is yours.

If you are looking for actual experiences you should have posted something like a questionaire;

1. Your GW2 experience:
0-5 months
6 months – 1 year
1-2 years
more than 2 years

Are you a guild member?
No.
Yes a guild with 1-10 members (active the last 2 months)
Yes a guild with 11-100 members (active the last 2 months)
Yes a guild with >100 members (active the last 2 months)
Yes 2-5 guilds with a few active members

3. Your question
option 1
option 2
option 3
etc.

Now gather responses. Disregard the ones that does not match your own specific profile. Add/combine your own experience = there’s your best answer!

Asking a wide open question about ingame community here = Seasoned players that love the game will tell you: Best community ever!!!
Jaded idiots (like me) will say: Worst community whatever… (or we won’t but we will engage in some sort of war with seasoned players that like the game.)

In short: Look for the experience of your peers – Not the trench war veterans on here

Ryou.2398

Here’s someone offering to help the OP out, no obligation to join a guild. That’s hardly toxic.

I thank everyone who offered help the first person whispered me in game and we did some of it, as far as finding a guild goes I have been looking and have yet to find an active guild doing many guilds events or any for hot exploration but thanks for judging me and assuming.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Similarly to Vayne, if you’re on NA OP, feel free to toss me on your friend’s list and hit me up if you see me on. I’ll come help guide you through maps or work through hero points if you so desire.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I thank everyone who offered help the first person whispered me in game and we did some of it, as far as finding a guild goes I have been looking and have yet to find an active guild doing many guilds events or any for hot exploration but thanks for judging me and assuming.

What have I assumed?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You often get treated as you teat others just saying mate.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

What have I assumed?

Got a follow up question how was the post judging you?

Ryou.2398

Not sure how this applies to me, I am very aware of this and did not treat anyone toxic, you do not know me just saying.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Not sure how this applies to me, I am very aware of this and did not treat anyone toxic, you do not know me just saying.

Don’t know if anyone’s ever told you or not, but you come off as brash to those in here that are saying things you disagree with (be it for perceived misreading or whatever). Which can turn people off. Which could be leading to the responses that point to the maybe it’s you answer.

Now I’m not saying that you’re intentionally doing this.

Ryou.2398

Don’t know if anyone’s ever told you or not, but you come off as brash to those in here that are saying things you disagree with (be it for perceived misreading or whatever). Which can turn people off. Which could be leading to the responses that point to the maybe it’s you answer.

Why? Because I am being honest? If that is considered brash then you really have to question if those people are taking things way out of context, there is nothing brash about what I stated, people tried to question my experiences and that’s what it came down to, I am not going to let anyone tell me different, I am sorry if that is to brash for someone but that is a personal issue with them not me.

I am not a people pleaser I am very friendly but I certainly do not believe in walking around egg shells or care about someones opinion of me personally.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I don’t see toxic in HoT so much as unhelpful. HoT’s population is generally not interested in helping as much as in core Tyria.

Some HoT-zealots above have said it’s because the content is harder. While that’s true, and part of the reason, perhaps those posters can explain why there are dozens of posts that happen while none of them respond to questions? When I see a whole screen of postings about bacon, but no answers to a question I asked twice, it discourages me a little.

There is, however, some higher levels of toxicity as the map population goes up. I think this is because the elite players tend to think that if you’re on a fully-populated map, then you had better darned well be doing the meta. And, they can get very toxic if you continue to ask for help (on a fuller map) while they’re busy doing “their” meta. I understand the sentiment, but it’s NOT “their” map, and they treat it like it is.

Daddicus.6128

Why? Because I am being honest? If that is considered brash then you really have to question if those people are taking things way out of context, there is nothing brash about what I stated, people tried to question my experiences and that’s what it came down to, I am not going to let anyone tell me different, I am sorry if that is to brash for someone but that is a personal issue with them not me.

I am not a people pleaser I am very friendly but I certainly do not believe in walking around egg shells or care about someones opinion of me personally.

I don’t think you have been brash at all. I do slightly disagree with you (see my previous post), but I think your posts have been well-stated. HoT is almost a breath of fresh air in comparison.

There are just some people who can’t tolerate anybody pointing out truisms from HoT. You’ll figure out who they are in a couple more threads.

But, don’t totally disregard them; there are some points they make that are true. (Like above when someone said that people can’t reply when they’re in combat, which you tend to be in a lot more often in HoT.)

And, if you want to see real toxicity, try to join a raid group not knowing what you are doing (especially if not knowing includes not asking in advance whether the group is “experts” or novices). Dungeon groups can be this way, too, but to a far lesser degree.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Thank you for sharing I was just curious about other peoples experience, and was expressing mine so far if anyone have an issue with that well maybe they should not post here.

I have not seen anyone express an issue with your decision to express your experience. They may not share that experience, may consider it to be atypical, but that is very different than suggesting that someone, “should not post here.”

Exploring hot and helping with basic masteries? I have to be honest so far in my experience it has not been that freindly and it is hard to find a guild that will run through it with you.

“How friendly has the community been”

Actually yes, you DID say friendly. It is in both the topic title and the original post. Toxic is not used in either. As Vayne replied to the topic, by not quoting a specific subsequent post, he was on topic.

I have a few theories about why people might reply to call outs in HoT less frequently than they might in core maps.

1) increased challenge. Its hard for some people to type while fighting for their character’s lives in a zone where mobs are able to actually kill a PC. In core tyria going afk, alt tabbing, or just chatting/responding to map calls are much safer options because some mobs just can’t do much to your character even if you are not actively playing.

2) Increased mob density. Fewer spots to safely park your character where he will be safe while you are exchanging messages.

3) Distances. If someone calls out for help with an event on the other side of a HoT map there is a good chance that it will all be over and done with by the time I can get there.

4) Navigation. Really part of #3. If I am going to have difficulty even finding my way to the other guy how can I help him?

There are just some people who can’t tolerate anybody pointing out truisms from HoT.

I personally dislike HoT and tend to avoid it, but expressing a personal opinion about the expansion does not make that opinion a truism.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

If you’ve had a ‘fairly toxic’ experience, I think you’re an extreme outlier case. In my experience, the game’s community is extremely friendly.

That said, there is one big exception to this: the Verdant Brink Night Meta, especially on a map trying to get to T4. In order to complete the meta, it requires almost everyone on the map to be engaged in working toward it – defending/retaking and supplying camps, killing bosses, and doing ground events to push that bar to T4 before dawn. Sorry, but there just isn’t time for players to stop running supplies, defending camps, retaking fallen camps, and doing ground events to help new players with the Frog, Golem, or Bat HPs, or guide someone to a tricky-to-reach mastery point, and we’d really, really appreciate it if you put off getting those HPs and mastery points long enough to help defend, retake, and resupply camps, kill the bosses (Anyone with Gliding can do Matriarch. Anyone with Gliding and Updrafts can do Patriarch. Anyone with Gliding and Bouncing Mushrooms can do Tetrad and Frogs. You need Stealth Detection+Gliding for Axemaster), and run ground events to get the map to T4. Also – the Matriarch and Axemaster require you to know how to break the bar.

Of course, every map has its “Not Now, we’re doing the Meta” moments, but the massive nature of VB makes it stand out. Also – Verdant Brink is the very first map, which ALSO doesn’t help.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

There is, however, some higher levels of toxicity as the map population goes up. I think this is because the elite players tend to think that if you’re on a fully-populated map, then you had better darned well be doing the meta. And, they can get very toxic if you continue to ask for help (on a fuller map) while they’re busy doing “their” meta. I understand the sentiment, but it’s NOT “their” map, and they treat it like it is.

I’ve had a bit of experience with this in the first place. People doing the meta get really uppity about people trying to do a hero point run or the like when meta time approaches, and insist that they stop what they’re doing and go to another map, sometimes complaining about the ‘awful timing’. The problems with this are:

1) Organising a meta map often starts about half an hour before even the pre-event portions of the meta start. This means that ‘meta time’ can be half of the total cycle. This can leave precious little time for a hero train to complete the map, particularly since some hero points are hard to get to without completing certain events first.

2) Because of the way the megaserver system works, the HP train may well be the reason that the map in question was still open rather than having been closed, and hence why it was there to get populated by people looking to do the meta. The trainers didn’t choose to train on a meta map – instead, the meta group is gathering in their map because they were there keeping the map open in the first place. This is particularly obvious when you have a map where the various camp/pylon events were not progressed (unless needed to by the train) but suddenly you have a mass of meta players demanding the trainers leave.

3) Many trains are only a handful of people. Half a dozen people should not decide whether the meta succeeds or fails.

4) With the consideration that the next expansion may be as little as five months away, for some players stocking up on hero points may well be more important to them than another run at the loot.

Personally, though, I blame ArenaNet for putting hero points that are balanced for groups on maps that have a meta that requires most of the population to participate in to succeed. Tangled Depths seems particularly toxic in this regard – which is probably a function of the meta providing very little reward for a failed attempt while being one of the hardest metas in HoT. If the hero points had been on maps that were more like the Living Season maps that do not have such demanding metas, there wouldn’t be a problem. If the hero points were soloable (or at least, soloable after the meta had progressed far enough) then there also wouldn’t be a problem: Dragon’s Stand is a good example of this. Maps with an ‘all hands on deck’ style meta probably should just have soloable hero points on them, while group hero points should probably be kept on maps which do not have such demanding meta-events, where a bunch of people running around hitting all the hero points in turn will not interfere with the meta.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Daddicus.6128

I’ve had a bit of experience with this in the first place. People doing the meta get really uppity about people trying to do a hero point run or the like when meta time approaches, and insist that they stop what they’re doing and go to another map, sometimes complaining about the ‘awful timing’. The problems with this are:

1) Organising a meta map often starts about half an hour before even the pre-event portions of the meta start. This means that ‘meta time’ can be half of the total cycle. This can leave precious little time for a hero train to complete the map, particularly since some hero points are hard to get to without completing certain events first.

2) Because of the way the megaserver system works, the HP train may well be the reason that the map in question was still open rather than having been closed, and hence why it was there to get populated by people looking to do the meta. The trainers didn’t choose to train on a meta map – instead, the meta group is gathering in their map because they were there keeping the map open in the first place. This is particularly obvious when you have a map where the various camp/pylon events were not progressed (unless needed to by the train) but suddenly you have a mass of meta players demanding the trainers leave.

3) Many trains are only a handful of people. Half a dozen people should not decide whether the meta succeeds or fails.

4) With the consideration that the next expansion may be as little as five months away, for some players stocking up on hero points may well be more important to them than another run at the loot.

Personally, though, I blame ArenaNet for putting hero points that are balanced for groups on maps that have a meta that requires most of the population to participate in to succeed. Tangled Depths seems particularly toxic in this regard – which is probably a function of the meta providing very little reward for a failed attempt while being one of the hardest metas in HoT. If the hero points had been on maps that were more like the Living Season maps that do not have such demanding metas, there wouldn’t be a problem. If the hero points were soloable (or at least, soloable after the meta had progressed far enough) then there also wouldn’t be a problem: Dragon’s Stand is a good example of this. Maps with an ‘all hands on deck’ style meta probably should just have soloable hero points on them, while group hero points should probably be kept on maps which do not have such demanding meta-events, where a bunch of people running around hitting all the hero points in turn will not interfere with the meta.

You bring up valid points, and so have others. But, because there is random placement of characters into maps, there will always be tension between players trying to do the meta and players who are trying to map or do the missions.

I’m not sure how they would implement it, I think what’s needed is a meta-only map. A map that you can only join if you check a box (or something like that).

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

I met my wife on a pug Nightmare Court Dungeon run.
Yesterday at Ember Bay a random Mesmer helped me climb to the end of the JP, even coming back for me, without even asking him to do so.
I can go to Lion’s Arch and start a random lore discussion or ask people for class suggestions.

Yes, sometimes you find the usual kitten or toxic snowflake (specially inside Raids), but most of times, MOST of times, the community has been the best i’ve ever found on any MMO.

Yesterday I created a LFG for Fractals, kittened non meta builds only was the title, lots of fun.

(edited by Aldath.1275)

Ryou.2398

I met my wife on a pug Nightmare Court Dungeon run.
Yesterday at Ember Bay a random Mesmer helped me climb to the end, even coming back for me, without even asking him to do so.
I can go to Lion’s Arch and start a random lore discussion or ask people for class suggestions.

Yes, sometimes you find the usual kitten or toxic snowflake (specially inside Raids), but most of times, MOST of times, the community has been the best i’ve ever found on any MMO.

Yesterday I created a LFG for Fractals, kittened non meta builds only was the title, lots of fun.

I do agree usually the community is better then most.

Posted by: newbihack.7180

newbihack.7180

Whatever you do, do not go PVP. The level of toxicity there is way off the roof. WvW is friendly along with PVE.

If you like PVP, get ready for a huge blocking list.

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Whatever you do, do not go PVP. The level of toxicity there is way off the roof. WvW is friendly along with PVE.

If you like PVP, get ready for a huge blocking list.

You must have never gone to WvW to do a daily. Solo or with a few others, obviously doing dailies only and the Zergs of 25 Plus come through and mow you down to prevent you from getting daily.

Some even take the time to stop and jump up and down on your toons corps.

Yeah real friendly group of folks lol……

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: JesusChris.6082

JesusChris.6082

I disagree with newbihack. If you want a REALLY potent dose of toxicity, go to Eternal Battlegrounds in WvW and type that you’re a new player looking for help in Team chat… then wait for your eyes to bleed.

EDIT: Then again, I am on Maguuma, so that might explain some things…

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I disagree with newbihack. If you want a REALLY potent dose of toxicity, go to Eternal Battlegrounds in WvW and type that you’re a new player looking for help in Team chat… then wait for your eyes to bleed.

Heh. I remember one time when a commander who spent considerable time explaining the ins and outs of WvW to a couple of new players. Of course, that was back when we were Ferguson’s Crossing, not … and Ferguson’s Crossing.

#AbleSentryRocks

Posted by: lawfan.7095

lawfan.7095

I’d say players are fairly unfriendly on the HOT maps. And will not really help with anything.

Vayne.8563

I’d say players are fairly unfriendly on the HOT maps. And will not really help with anything.

You’ve had very different experiences than I’ve had and I’m in HoT maps pretty much every day.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

just in open world ppl are helpful, talk about raids or dungeons and you will get backslash after backslash.
i ones asked in the raid lobby what the shortcuts mean in LFG, all i got are “noob, kitten off” or ïf you don’t know that you’re not good enough anyway", i play GW2 from beta and saved ppl in dungeons that was otherwise doomed to fail but yeah, i am the noob here……

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

Heh. I remember one time when a commander who spent considerable time explaining the ins and outs of WvW to a couple of new players. Of course, that was back when we were Ferguson’s Crossing, not … and Ferguson’s Crossing.

#AbleSentryRocks

I just did that 2 weeks ago, and of all things on Ferguson’s Crossing, LOL —- edit —- P.S. yes AbleSentry is a great WvW commander…

(edited by slashlizardy.9167)

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

You’ve been perfectly fine

You have to understand these forums are weird and they breed a rather strange sort of trolling.

We lack the simple like and dislike option you see in other forums. There is no middleman an debates aren’t solved by one individual getting a ton of likes or one member getting many dislikes. It leads to a smug and dismissive attitude. There are good people on the forums like those who’ve offered to help you in game and offered advice trying to find a solution. As stated you’ve been fine in every post you’ve made in the topic and its best just to ignore the others because they won’t stop and keep trying to push their own agendas. You can always try reddit the community is large and the devs post their as well and with the basic system in place its a bit more civil since you can tell which side the topic is leaning.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

You’ve been perfectly fine

You have to understand these forums are weird and they breed a rather strange sort of trolling.

We lack the simple like and dislike option you see in other forums. There is no middleman an debates aren’t solved by one individual getting a ton of likes or one member getting many dislikes. It leads to a smug and dismissive attitude. There are good people on the forums like those who’ve offered to help you in game and offered advice trying to find a solution. As stated you’ve been fine in every post you’ve made in the topic and its best just to ignore the others because they won’t stop and keep trying to push their own agendas. You can always try reddit the community is large and the devs post their as well and with the basic system in place its a bit more civil since you can tell which side the topic is leaning.

Wasn’t trolling. Ryou was coming off as brash and stated that that may the reason things go the way they do for them. I also stated that I didn’t think Ryou meant to come off the way they do to some people. But without the visual and auditory cues, brashness can be interpreted as being mean. I don’t have a problem with brashness. But I could see how it may have been hurting Ryou’s attempts to get help in game if they had the same type of responses in game as here in the post.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Ask for advice on an elementalist in pvp lobby
“Obvious troll because everyone knows the answer”
Well.. okay then..

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

I agree with everything you said up to this point. Most of the HoT hero points are easily soloable and have very few mechanics that outright kill you. Some do a lot more damage, and those you need at most 2 people (I find the bat guano in VB requires normally 3 to out damage the healing), if you can’t solo.

The ones in DS are a bit of a mixed bag. 4 of them require the meta to be finish or near finished, but the other ones are completely soloable as they are channels. Which can be done on an empty map.

Vayne.8563

I agree with everything you said up to this point. Most of the HoT hero points are easily soloable and have very few mechanics that outright kill you. Some do a lot more damage, and those you need at most 2 people (I find the bat guano in VB requires normally 3 to out damage the healing), if you can’t solo.

The ones in DS are a bit of a mixed bag. 4 of them require the meta to be finish or near finished, but the other ones are completely soloable as they are channels. Which can be done on an empty map.

Bat guano is all about breaking the bar and avoiding the life stealing attack. If you can do that, you’re golden. Two people is plenty.