How the revenant should start storywise

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Today I was thinking about how revenant charaters would meet Braham and the rest of the charaters. It would seem pretty ridiculous to have Rox and Jora and the rest calling someone who they barely met “boss” and most importantly it would create a gap about who finished off Scarlet and what not. Its like “Oh yeah hey we used to have another member but we forgot who he is. You are boss now”. What seems more appropriate would be having boss become the revenant, and thats where all revenants would start off as, already being heroes of L.A, killer of zhaitan etc wit Rytlock just coming in and showing that person the revenant ways.

Agree? Disagree? I cant think of any other way a revenant would start without making it complicated, but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

Be born from his/her mother like others

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Story wise, It could be blamed on Kasmeer having a blond moment.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I just hope there is a story of how they became a class rather than suddenly they popping into the character select screen.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I just hope there is a story of how they became a class rather than suddenly they popping into the character select screen.

On the contrary, I want them just put on the character select screen. An explanation, such as the mists don’t feel the effects of time, and Rytlock was only the first Revenant in Tyria would be nice.

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

I’d honestly like them to do something like the Death Knights were introduced in WOW. Add a new storyline, since this class wouldn’t make sense to simply pop in during the conventional story, that the player goes though. Though that would also mean that that gameplay section would start at a higher level, which is the main issue.

Gives a good look into the lore of new expansion and overall world, if we see more about what makes a Revenant a Revenant, and even key it into the events of teh world since Point of No Return.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

until they rework season 1 into a season 2-esque system, people will just have to deal with the fact they’re missing a part of the story.

they could always pull out a bioware and shove a quick introduction to the story so far.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

I’m guessing Rytlock will be introducing the class. He went into the mist and the Revenant powers are based off the mist. Let’s not forget the actual definition of revenant is someone who has returned, especially if the person was once thought dead. I’m guessing Rytlock will be the first one and he will teach others how to empower themselves from the mist.

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

Basically just like any other class, you create it and then you’re free to do the Personal Story, Living World and HoT. Although that would kinda mess up the time perspective of the revenant in the form of Rytlock getting into tyria after everything building up to HoT, but hey if a profession can call upon GW1 legends and travel through the mists, then surely this class could have been available in Tyria on GW2 release day in a parallell universe from a story perspective point of view.

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

i guess we will have to unlock revenant in jungle somewhere first .then revenant will get his own personal mission ,some could be in new zone some will be legend collection across old maps .

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

i guess we will have to unlock revenant in jungle somewhere first .then revenant will get his own personal mission ,some could be in new zone some will be legend collection across old maps .

No we won’t “unlock” it in the jungle. That would force new players of the game to create another character before even being able to start as a revenant. Also having it in the jungle would require a lvl 80..

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Well you meet Rytlock and he sends you back through time to experience events of the past.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

They already said new and old players would be on a equal footing character wise starting as a revenant so no they wont be any other level then 1

Posted by: Kody Bear.2154

Kody Bear.2154

Lore wise its sorta a cluster kitten, but the way i’m gunna see it is this, the PS is the mists for the Rev. we know the mists hold memories and lands from past, present, and future, so what if the PS played as a Rev. is just the Rev. going through the memories of the mist as they learn to use their powers? idk, my 2 silver on the lore matter anyway, but i cant see them starting at like 80 in a new zone :/

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Yeah the revenant’s story will start one of five ways depending on which race you choose.

The Living Story will probably explain a bit about how Rytlock became a revenant and maybe explain that people can choose to be revenants and learn to channel the mists, but then that’s that.

Aside from that, your character chose to study revenant arts and begins at level 1. The back story is up to you.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

On the contrary, I want them just put on the character select screen. An explanation, such as the mists don’t feel the effects of time, and Rytlock was only the first Revenant in Tyria would be nice.

Ease of use versus narrative. I guess both sides have some merit, I’d like it if we had to unlock the class in game by completing a quest or story element. But if ANet is looking to court new players then they’d probably lower the barrier to entry and make it available on the selection screen.

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

OH OH OH, I know how they could do it.

So every Revenant could start at level 1 with their own special Personal Story Instance. However remember, Rytlock is the first Revenant in TYRIA, doesn’t mean their aren’t already Revenants WITHIN the MISTS.

So what that means is that the storyline can still make sense, in other words, our Revenant Characters can be guided by a Revenant within the Mists during Zhaitan’s Rising. We are a character that was killed by Zhaitan or Dragon and will be reborn as a Revenant.

However this may not entirely work out, since then we’d be the first Revenants in Tyria, they confirmed Rytlock is the first Revenant. Unless time travel is involved, or Revenants get adjustments in their personal story while still starting at level 1, contuinity will be an issue

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I never even thought about this concept. Um, but here’s my incomplete idea for what it’s worth. What if, for the revenant profession, the level 1 intro was the same for all the races, and took place after the fall of zhaitan and everything. Somehow at the end of it you get sent to LA? And the personal story they could have something announcing these are events that have taken place in the past, like they did in gw1 when different campaigns went on to do other campaigns.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t see how, lore wise, they can get around not having the Zhaitan personal story at least available to do as you are referred to periodically as the Commander and the biconics know you as that person who killed Zhaitan. That’s your credentials and why you are the boss. So I’m going to assume that your character will have that storyline available to do.

The question is, how and when do you get your profession of Revenant.
Possibility: start a new character as a warrior or guardian (so they will have heavy armor to start with). This character, in the starting instance, will have a story line that takes them to the mists where they perform a task that makes them a Revenant. Upon leaving the starting instance they level to 80 and then can go to the new maps.

The Zhaitan story line will be available for them to do if they wish.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

A revenant is just someone who who went to the Mists (died for example), and came back with the ability to channel the power

Rytlock is the first Revenant being presented to us, but he is not the first Revenant. No one has confirmed that Rytlock is the first Revenant.

The way I see it, You’ll create a revenant at character creation, and you’ll go through the personal story just the same as every other profession. And yes, you’ll meet Rytlock and he’ll still be a warrior and you’ll be a revenant.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

There are only 2 ways how I see, that it makes sense at all.

1) Either your Character is BORN from begin on as a Revenant, what would be clearly a statement, that they are no profession, but in fact a supernatural status that has just only the manifestation of one of the playable races.
This would be basicalyl the “Razah-Solution”. This would require a own different Personal Story Start for them.

or

2) You can become this Class only with an already created Warrior or Guardian Character and turn for the sacrifice of your old Profession that Character into a Revenant, just like Rytlock did undergo this process of profession change in the mists, started as Warrior and came out as revenant. This would be the “Like Rytlock-Solution”, which wouldn’t require a n own Persobal Story, because you would play first the compelte same old personal story ect, like creatign a Warrior or Guardian and when playing with that Character the Living Story, you get only with these two professions the Option to turn them into a Revenant.

Both options would be effectively better, than this ridiculous nonsense, that Rytlock should teach everybody how to become a Revenant

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside