How to get Legendary armor outside of raids?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Nobody’s talking about “facerolling” anything except for straw men, but there should be alternatives that don’t involve having to participate in raiding. Raiding is not for everybody, that’s one of the main reasons why GW2 has players, because some people didn’t want to be playing WoW.

You probably misheard Colin but Gw2 raids are not WoW raids.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Were you expecting only people that would agree with you stance participating in those topics?

If that’s the case, everyone should stop responding to this topic.

True. The OP wrote another post before about rewards and it became a very long thread and just was the same arguments back and forth for 15 or more pages. I imagine this one will just turn into the same thing.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

No, everyone’s welcome to participate that wants to, I just don’t see what they would get out of it if all they do is say “you aren’t going to get what you want, it’s never going to happen.”

Well if that’s true, and I grant that it’s possible, then everything I’m doing here is pointless, but everything they’re doing here is even more pointless, like trying to hold up a wall that isn’t at any risk of falling. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time, so if you honestly feel that you’re secure in ANet never shifting stance on this one, you’re free to leave at any time. If you continue to argue the point, all it shows is that you’re very insecure about ANet potentially making us happy on this issue.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

xarallei.4279

I’m just saying you should prepare to be disappointed. They will likely make people do a lot of specific content/achievements for this stuff. It’s probably going to be very grindy and boring as hell. Which is why I won’t bother with it. But legendaries have always been a grind, so whatever…

Ohoni.6057

They aren’t, but they are raids, or they would not call them raids. We don’t know what they entail, exactly, but if they entail pre-grouping with a set group of players, entering an instanced area, and running through a set of content in a linear fashion that takes a half hour or more to complete, then it likely isn’t how I prefer to play this game. If it plays anything like the existing dungeons or Fractals then that’s not what I want. There’s an outside possibility that I would enjoy the raids, in limited doses at least, but it’s not likely.

done by now.”

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Skeetz, if you’re right, then you have nothing to worry about and don’t have to participate in this, or similar topics. But for my part, I’m going to hold out hope and continue to push for the best possible outcomes on these issues. I welcome you to not participate if you have no interest in doing so, just as you are happy to allow me to not participate in raiding.

This is the forum. I’m allowed to debate and bring up reasons as to why you are statement is false. That you don’t like exclusive rewards and wish they were gone.
I already believe the best possible outcome was exclusive rewards for raids and thus I will tell you that I hope anet does not change this…

You can keep your hope all you want. I’m glad it’s not happening thou. and you aren’t going to get an easy way to legendary armor, just like there isn’t an easy way to get legendary weapons, skins, certain titles, etc etc.

Your stance on exclusive rewards is shared by few.

Ohoni.6057

Then you don’t have anything to worry about and don’t need to be so insecure.

done by now.”

SkiTz.4590

They aren’t, but they are raids, or they would not call them raids. We don’t know what they entail, exactly, but if they entail pre-grouping with a set group of players, entering an instanced area, and running through a set of content in a linear fashion that takes a half hour or more to complete, then it likely isn’t how I prefer to play this game. If it plays anything like the existing dungeons or Fractals then that’s not what I want. There’s an outside possibility that I would enjoy the raids, in limited doses at least, but it’s not likely.

All of this is your opinion. This is ONE part of the game. No one said you should play it if you don’t like it.

If you don’t like it, don’t do it. You want the rewards but don’t want to work for it. Than that’s your problem.

Anet has NO reason to change it just so you can happily achieve the rewards while running around in the open world doing it “your way”.

SkiTz.4590

Then you don’t have anything to worry about and don’t need to be so insecure.

Not insecure at all my friend. I love it.
I’m just stating my opinion just like you are =)
Don’t get mad when ppl don’t agree with you. This is a forum. You can’t request “everyone who agrees with my opinion should post only, no one else can”

Ohoni.6057

All of this is your opinion. This is ONE part of the game. No one said you should play it if you don’t like it.

All of this is 100% true, and I am totally fine with all of that being true and remaining true.

The problem I have is when they then lock rewards behind that content that we can both agree is “Not for me, ONE part of the game, and I shouldn’t have to play it if I don’t like it.” If I want those rewards, then I either DO have to play it, whether I like it or not, or I have to permanently do without that reward, and neither of those options benefits anyone.

So that’s why I’m pushing for methods in which I can get the reward that I want, without having to do the content that I don’t. They don’t have to do this, but it would make me happier if they did, and why is that not a good reason to do it?

done by now.”

Posted by: latinkuro.7304

latinkuro.7304

The hypocrisy is visible to the naked eye.

No hypocrisy, just a complete situation of non-exclusive concepts. to my mind:

A. Being able to earn Legendary armor through a wide variety of fun ingame experiences, let players decide how they want to earn it.

>

B. Being able to buy the Legendary armor off the TP, and being able to at least spend all my time actually playing the game in a way I enjoy.

>

C. Having to “buy a slot” in a raid and just go AFK at the entrance and surf the Internet for an hour or so rather than actually playing the game I enjoy.

>

D. Not being able to get the Legendary armor unless I raid fairly often.

Now of those, A is clearly the best, A is clearly the goal I want, but B would at least be better than C or D, and D is just The Worst.

A – NO, if you want legendary armor get ready to learn to Raid…..

B – NO, are you kidding me ! this would be the worse they could do !

C – NO, I frown upon this activity even if a.net says it’s ok. It is NOT especially for rewards like legendary armor, you want it ? learn to play the content that drops it PERIOD !

D – I would love to get the sPVP exclusive legendary backpiece, it looks awesome but you don’t hear me QQing about wanting a way to acquire it by doing some easy PVE stuff !!!

Your ideas would see raiding destroyed, if there was an easier way of acquiring this legendary armor of course people would flock to it, humans love the path of least resistance you know.

The life force of raiding in this game lies in it’s rewards…..!
take that away and raiding would die a sudden and unexpected death.

Stop trying to destroy raiding before it is even born !

LOVE: Raids & Fractals.
HATE: Jumping puzzles.
DESPISE: TIME GATES, RNG & THE TRINITY !

Posted by: Thoehn.7460

Thoehn.7460

Great… the elitist attitude of a great number of “raiders” that drove me away from WoW has finally reared its ugly head in GW2. No, not all raiders are like that, but a lot of them are, and it is just so annoying. They can’t stand it that someone not socially comfortable with nine strangers, or people in a very small guild might get something awesome in some other facet of gameplay… y’know, ’cause raiding is so obviously the only part of any game that requires skill and they really need other people to pay attention to how skilled they are, because they have a psychedelic glowing chestpiece that shoots fireworks.

I realize that there are some things I will never acquire in the game- like a legendary weapon. I make an ascended one and deal with it. Not having something is not what makes me dubious about this change. It’s the fact that introducing raids into GW2 is just going to introduce toxicity, elitism and drama. Some of the replies to this thread already make that pretty obvious.

Ohoni.6057

Don’t get mad when ppl don’t agree with you. This is a forum. You can’t request “everyone who agrees with my opinion should post only, no one else can”

I’m not mad, and you’re certainly free to post, I’m just trying to look out for you. You seem awfully upset about something that you claim is never going to happen.

done by now.”

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

but it would make me happier if they did, and why is that not a good reason to do it?

Maybe cause you shouldnt have it ez way. It is supposed to be a prestige armor. If you dont want to play that type of contest then sorry brah, you can always craft ascended for the same stats. Whats the point of doing raids if i can acquire legendary armor by running in braindead open world?

Either way this topic should be locked. Nothing good will come out of it.

obey me

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Keep in mind the raids are not dropping legendary items. They are dropping items used to make precursors. Its highly likely the other parts will also be targeted at many different forms of play.

Basically legendary armors will probably need a bunch of different content types. So its kinda useless to complain. They dont want you to do one part of the game and get the legendary.

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Great… the elitist attitude of a great number of “raiders” that drove me away from WoW has finally reared its ugly head in GW2. No, not all raiders are like that, but a lot of them are, and it is just so annoying. They can’t stand it that someone not socially comfortable with nine strangers, or people in a very small guild might get something awesome in some other facet of gameplay… y’know, ’cause raiding is so obviously the only part of any game that requires skill and they really need other people to pay attention to how skilled they are, because they have a psychedelic glowing chestpiece that shoots fireworks.

I realize that there are some things I will never acquire in the game- like a legendary weapon. I make an ascended one and deal with it. Not having something is not what makes me dubious about this change. It’s the fact that introducing raids into GW2 is just going to introduce toxicity, elitism and drama. Some of the replies to this thread already make that pretty obvious.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Ohoni.6057

D – I would love to get the sPVP exclusive legendary backpiece, it looks awesome but you don’t hear me QQing about wanting a way to acquire it by doing some easy PVE stuff !!!

If you did, I would totally support you. Why shouldn’t you get something you want? What kind of monster would I be to argue against you getting it, when it wouldn’t hurt me in any way for you to have it?

Your ideas would see raiding destroyed, if there was an easier way of acquiring this legendary armor of course people would flock to it, humans love the path of least resistance you know.

If the only reason people would be raiding is to earn the armor, then they just shouldn’t have raiding. People should be raiding because they actually enjoy doing it, not so that they can “grind to the prize.”

done by now.”

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

If you don’t do raids you don’t get legendary armor. It’s so simple and so delightful I’m overjoyed.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Keep in mind the raids are not dropping legendary items. They are dropping items used to make precursors. Its highly likely the other parts will also be targeted at many different forms of play.

Basically legendary armors will probably need a bunch of different content types. So its kinda useless to complain. They dont want you to do one part of the game and get the legendary.

Thanks for the clarification.

This I would be okay with. If legendary armor (and the new legendary weapons) required players to master every part of the game (ideally including WvW and PvP), then legendary items would actually feel legendary – and it would really mean something if you saw someone in full legendary gear.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I hope the legendary skins rewarded from raids are only obtainable through raiding. I also hope that they release other legendary armor skins that are obtainable through other means.

Me too. I really would love to see some WvW exclusive legendaries.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I wonder how expensive legendary armor will be.

consider a full set of ascended armor already cost like 500 gold. Might be a cheap alternative to get legendary armor instead of a few set of ascended.

Ohoni.6057

Maybe cause you shouldnt have it ez way.

I don’t want an ez way. I want an alternative. It can be even harder than raiding, I suppose, I just want it to not involve raiding.

Fair enough, then I just want those precursors to drop elsewhere too. We don’t know exactly how any of this will work, I’m just making the point, as early and often as possible, that I don’t want to have to do raids to earn these items. At the most I might be willing to do one raid, just to tick it off the box, but I don’t want it to become one of those things where I’ll have to raid nightly or weekly or even monthly in order to earn it.

Anything that you have to repeat multiple times, you should be able to choose what activity it is you’re repeating. You should only have to repeat content that you enjoy playing.

done by now.”

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

Nobody’s talking about “facerolling” anything except for straw men, but there should be alternatives that don’t involve having to participate in raiding. Raiding is not for everybody, that’s one of the main reasons why GW2 has players, because some people didn’t want to be playing WoW.

From what I read on their website, that’s pretty much what I gathered, though. Instances with (gimmick) mechanics that require you to execute certain steps in a certain order inside a very small margin of error to get exclusive shinies to brag with. That’s…WoW.

Tarnished Coast

Ohoni.6057

I wonder how expensive legendary armor will be.

consider a full set of ascended armor already cost like 500 gold. Might be a cheap alternative to get legendary armor instead of a few set of ascended.

I kind of doubt it. If I had to guess, I would bet that the “effort cost” of making a full set of Legendary armor would call somewhere between making one Legendary weapon and making two. Individual pieces would of course be much simpler. So if they do end up being tradable, and we’ve had no promise that they would be, I would assume that the cheapest pieces would be going for around the midtier legendary weapons, and the chest pieces (or other highly desired pieces) would be going for somewhere near the higher weapon prices.

done by now.”

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

From what I read on their website, that’s pretty much what I gathered, though. Instances with (gimmick) mechanics that require you to execute certain steps in a certain order inside a very small margin of error to get exclusive shinies to brag with. That’s…WoW.

That’s called good pve content, that all other MMO’s have.

I’m sorry your blind hatred of WoW and general lack of MMO experience causes you to not see this.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

xarallei.4279

I highly doubt the piece that drops in raids will drop anywhere else. I wouldn’t be surprised if forging the legendary will require you to do different things in each of the game modes.

SkiTz.4590

I’m sorry your blind hatred of WoW and general lack of MMO experience causes you to not see this.

WoW has a bunch of bs like attunements, gear treadmill , etc etc .
That’s what ppl don’t like about raids

no one hates raids as the actual content. Its fun, its a group effort, its challenging and its a different style of play than what we already have. That is sorely needed in this game thats been lacking for 3 years.

There’s nothing wrong with raids, stop being so melodramatic.

Ohoni.6057

no one hates raids as the actual content.

That is not even remotely a true statement, and you should at least be aware of that by now.

done by now.”

Blaeys.3102

I highly doubt the piece that drops in raids will drop anywhere else. I wouldn’t be surprised if forging the legendary will require you to do different things in each of the game modes.

A direction I think would be cool -

once you obtain a precursor item, you are required to charge it up by defeating X number of player in WvW, X number of players in PvP, X number of dynamic events in every open world map, every world boss event, every jumping puzzle, every dungeon boss, every fractal boss and every raid boss. Then you follow the unique steps associated with that item (eg, the dances they talked about with the Moot precursor) and combine with the other items in the forge (the same as you have to now) to create the legendary item.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

@OP: If they don’t giive exclusive rewards, they know people won’t do them. It’s a way to guarantee some return to their development costs.

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

I’m just going to drop my opinion here. If the journey isn’t worth the destination perhaps don’t go to the destination? People should get exclusive rewards for the content they do because it shows their dedication and what they went through. what you want OP is like saying we should be able to get shiny glorious armor in pve because I don’t wana get a on the top of the leaderboards.

The Sickest Guild NA

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

@OP: If they don’t giive exclusive rewards, they know people won’t do them. It’s a way to guarantee some return to their development costs.

Logic.

Who wouldn’t just take the easy way for the same thing? Everyone is not like that but the majority is.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

A direction I think would be cool -

once you obtain a precursor item, you are required to charge it up by defeating X number of player in WvW, X number of players in PvP, X number of dynamic events in every open world map, every world boss event, every jumping puzzle, every dungeon boss, every fractal boss and every raid boss. Then you follow the unique steps associated with that item (eg, the dances they talked about with the Moot precursor) and combine with the other items in the forge (the same as you have to now) to create the legendary item.

They keep implying that the crafting of the precursors will be a large, deep quest so it’s entirely possible.

Killing x players in WvW might be a bit of an issue for those on dead servers since the point of EotM is to avoid fights entirely.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Logic.

Who wouldn’t just take the easy way for the same thing? Everyone is not like that but the majority is.

It’s more than that though; if there were no special rewards at ALL, say just a slightly increased normal reward curve, I’d bet you that the usage numbers would be TERRIBLE.

It is, and it aalways has been about standing out.

Blaeys.3102

Killing x players in WvW might be a bit of an issue for those on dead servers since the point of EotM is to avoid fights entirely.

Maybe a change like this would help change that playstyle in EoTM

In all seriousness, definitely understand that concern – but it is one that I hope they would address by improving the wvw experience on all servers rather than leaving that element out.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Ohoni I know this is a little bit early but here you go:

Selling raid spot, 450g a spot (50g per raider) – Legendary Armor Precursor drop NOT guaranteed. We, each, will refund you 5 packets of salt, one in each item slot if you don’t get a drop.

#justkidding

On another thought,…. actually I was serious. Let me know

Posted by: Slapinator.4196

Slapinator.4196

Funny a few days ago they locked the exact same thread for having absolutely no point and leading nowhere and here we are creating it again.

Posted by: Jahran.8456

Jahran.8456

Keep in mind that a large chunk of GW2’s population is here to get away from raiding type games.

Well said. It looks to me they could not just resist attracting players from other games. WoW has a hard time these days.

Kimyrielle.3826

Let’s just disagree on that. Yes, I hate scripted gimmick fights (and that’s the only thing I actually hate WoW for, btw – for inflicting this stuff on the MMO genre, because they really came up with it). Scripted fights are ultimately boring and the only reason why they are difficult at all is their ridiculously low margin for error in execution.

What I don’t understand nor ever will understand is why fans of said content come to the ONLY game not having it and nag the devs for three years to add it, instead of simply playing one of the 20 WoW clones providing that exact content.
Me? I was very happy that GW2 didn’t make me feel like a second class player and lock me out from content and desirable items just because I don’t and never will like WoW-style raids. There is a reason why I liked GW2 you know? It NOT being like other MMOs. Thing of the past, I guess. You guys couldn’t let people like me have ONE game that’s different and didn’t make me feel left out just because I don’t want to raid or be in a raiding guild. Congratulations. You won. I lost. I guess in the end the loudest voice always wins after all and I have to give it to the raiding crowd that they were both loud and persistent.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

There won’t be another way and thats how it should be.

What you want is an easier way to get the armor, its not happening.

I was waiting for ohoni to pop up and finally make a thread complaining about exclusive rewards

Just like there’s no way for you to get the legendary back from PvP leagues in other ways.

Just deal with it ok. If you don’t like it, BYE. Anet made it 100% accessible to everyone playing the game. Just get a 10 man team, and go try it out.

“I don’t want to do it but I want the best stuff” is not a valid excuse.

Colin said live at PAX that raids will have masteries and that is the only way to get the precursor required for Legendary armor. Those precursors are account bound btw, so no, they will not be on TP for you to just simple buy after you spammed auto attack in silverwastes for a week.

Raiding should only be about challenge, that’s why its specifically being put in game, not to have exclusive gear,pets which cannot be obtained outside raiding , if gw2 wants to maintain “Play the way you want” attitude then they will have to make it available outside it or you will have to obey a dictator yelling on ts to use a warrior/ele/chrono with you -_- <———- this is not what gw2 is about and should not be

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Let’s just disagree on that. Yes, I hate scripted gimmick fights (and that’s the only thing I actually hate WoW for, btw – for inflicting this stuff on the MMO genre, because they really came up with it). Scripted fights are ultimately boring and the only reason why they are difficult at all is their ridiculously low margin for error in execution.

What I don’t understand nor ever will understand is why fans of said content come to the ONLY game not having it and nag the devs for three years to add it, instead of simply playing one of the 20 WoW clones providing that exact content.
Me? I was very happy that GW2 didn’t make me feel like a second class player and lock me out from content and desirable items just because I don’t and never will like WoW-style raids. There is a reason why I liked GW2 you know? It NOT being like other MMOs. Thing of the past, I guess. You guys couldn’t let people like me have ONE game that’s different and didn’t make me feel left out just because I don’t want to raid or be in a raiding guild. Congratulations. You won. I lost. I guess in the end the loudest voice always wins after all and I have to give it to the raiding crowd that they were both loud and persistent.

Left out of what? Optional content that has only one prerequisite which is ability to type words?

SkiTz.4590

no one hates raids as the actual content.

That is not even remotely a true statement, and you should at least be aware of that by now.

if it weren’t remotely true, than anet would never have made raids.
My bad, I guess I should have said “very few ppl hate”

Ohoni.6057

This strikes me as a solution that would please few. Anyone who does not like any facet of the game would have some portion that would become “work,” not “play.” Who does that benefit?

It would be better to allow players to pursue ANY aspect of the game, not ALL aspects of the game.

If they believe that, then they shouldn’t have spent those developer costs on this feature in the first place. They should spend their development budget on things that people WANT to do, not to make content and then figure out how much they need to bribe players into it.

I’m just going to drop my opinion here. If the journey isn’t worth the destination perhaps don’t go to the destination?

The Journey should be the important part, not the destination. If you don’t enjoy the journey, you should be able to bypass it.

what you want OP is like saying we should be able to get shiny glorious armor in pve because I don’t wana get a on the top of the leaderboards.

Yes, sure, why not?

done by now.”

Posted by: Jaysin X.6740

Jaysin X.6740

If you don’t do the raid then you don’t get those particular legendarys. If you really love the shiny then put in a lil effort and go for it.

Posted by: Gynok.1756

Gynok.1756

The legendary armor and its parts or whatever is needed to create it should be tradeable. Don’t want to do the raid? buy it from one who does it. Simple as that, problem solved.

Ohoni.6057

if it weren’t remotely true, than anet would never have made raids.
My bad, I guess I should have said “very few ppl hate”

Also not true. Raids are a specific type of content, some people clearly enjoy it, especially lots of people who play WoW and all those who made Wildstar a breakaway hit, but it’s clearly something GW2 players have been happy to do without for the past three years, so you cannot claim that it’s an element that most players want.

But ANet doesn’t always design content for what most people want. sPvP, for example, very few players have any actual interest in, and yet they spend a lot of time on that element. It’s their hobby, and that’s fine, but they shouldn’t allow that to harm the rest of the game, or the people who play it.

done by now.”

Ohoni.6057

The legendary armor and its parts or whatever is needed to create it should be tradeable. Don’t want to do the raid? buy it from one who does it. Simple as that, problem solved.

Better than nothing, but far from an ideal solution, as all this would do is make raiders richer and non-raiders poorer.

done by now.”

Posted by: horvgab.4879

horvgab.4879

What you want is an easier way to get the armor, its not happening.

No, I’m not looking for an easier method, just one that doesn’t involve raiding. Raiding is not a fun way to spend my time in game. If you enjoy raiding, then that’s great, you raid, but there’s no reason I should have to.

You can get it by paying gold! That is all you need. pay gold and afk at the entrance.

That sounds like a really fun way to spend an evening, but I think I’d really prefer to actually be playing the game instead, just in a different area.

All part of the game has their own rewards. Please let us to be rewarded for challanging content in a unique way. I’ts a perfect decison from Anet, because if you see somebody with a legendary fractal back, you know, omg that man did the lvl 100 fractal, and the same with legendary pvp back. Let raiders a unique reward as well. If you play just a casual way, you wont need for a stat change item anyway. That’s only what legendrary armor pieces can do.

Kimyrielle.3826

Left out of what? Optional content that has only one prerequisite which is ability to type words?

Left out of experiencing that content and its story. Left out of pursuing a legendary set of armor. And the other stuff they will add to appease the raiding crowd and its thirst for having exclusive shinies.

Raiders love to pull the "hey, it’s optional!!!!’ card, I know. They do forget adding that in every single MMO ever having raids, that content completely took over focus and is usually considered the only PvE content worth doing (for said exclusive rewards). If I cannot get a set of legendary armor since it’s locked behind raids, what should I do then? Farming SW for another 2 years? Twiddling thumbs? Stand in LA and admire the raiders bragging with their phat l00t that scrubs like me can’t have?

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Gynok.1756

Gynok.1756

Better than nothing, but far from an ideal solution, as all this would do is make raiders richer and non-raiders poorer.

If it’s challenging and requires a lot time spend on it to learn it and do it. I don’t really see any problem in raiders getting richer than non-raiders.