How will HoT deal with pc performance?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: HugoCosta.6735

HugoCosta.6735

Hello There!!

GW2 is a game very very cpu dependent, so, what kind of CPU improvements HoT can bring us ?

Of course, we know tha GW2 is dx9 and I think HoT will be dx9 too, so with all limitation that dx9 has, what we can expect from this expansion?

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

People reported better FPS and smoothness/optimization in the beta. How true that technically is, I don’t know. I imagine there are going to be crazy fights like Mordremoth where a lot of people will lag at first until Anet can get a better idea of the changes they need to make for an optimal fight.

Its definitely something I think Anet is working on but aren’t really talking about. I’m sure they are trying to fix lag at big world boss fights, and in both PvP and WvW.

Maguuma Guardian

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The beta had mixed reports. Many reported no issues at all. A few of us found the smoke effects a huge problem on performance levels, worse even than Dry Top

I’d expect HoT to be part of an ongoing improvement in optimisation as part of the natural course of things, regardless of what the stress test threw up

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Oh lol Dry Top dust storms made my PC cry when it first released. I got a slightly better graphics card and then things were okay again. My current PC is like 5-6 years old with just some extra RAM and a slightly better graphics card and things are running well. I just have some slow load times but I think it might be my harddrive crapping out. I run it on mostly high settings.

Given how old my PC is, I think HoT probably won’t be too harsh once they get some optimization done. I’m still planning on building a new PC though so I can enjoy the Jungle in it’s fullest beauty!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I have not heard of any increase in system specs in relation to Heart of Thorns, but I can ask around and see if there’s the likelihood that the specs will change.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

I have not heard of any increase in system specs in relation to Heart of Thorns, but I can ask around and see if there’s the likelihood that the specs will change.

Is there’s a likelihood we’ll get a 64 bit client so we stop getting:

• Crash <—*
    OOM: Heap, bytes=8389088
  • Crash <—*
    OOM: Heap, bytes=1048624

etc? Pretty sad I have a great computer and I can’t even run the game on what I could potentially run the game because if I do I always end up crashing at any kind of large event.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

Considering the game runs on a 32-bit client and dx9 they can only optimize so far, building a new computer and I know the game won’t be able to take advantage of any of the new hardware except for a single core on the new processor. Unless we get a 64-bit client and dx-12, we won’t be seeing any leaps, unless there are major memory leaks in the code that the devs can fix or some multithreading development.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

After stress test I can say it run better then some older maps

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Why don’t they split into two clientes? One for older computers (x86) and another for brand-new PCs with higher capabilities (x64).

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Why don’t they split into two clientes? One for older computers (x86) and another for brand-new PCs with higher capabilities (x64).

Because that would require maintaining two clients which will basically double workload? ^^

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Aralicia.6157

Aralicia.6157

Because that would require maintaining two clients which will basically double workload? ^^

Maintaining multiple clients increase workload, sure. But double ? Hardly. Most of the client’s code would probably still be shared. However, there would still be a huge cost to extensively test a new client to ensure that would be no x64-specific bug.
Afterward, maintaining both would cost a fraction more than maintaining only the one. But the initial cost is probably big, and not something to start without much reflection.

Furthermore, with the expansion in the middle of development, the in-dev client is probably pretty unstable, and try to build & test on top of an unstable client, is as much a good idea than building a tower on top of quicksands.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Just as well as closed beta did.
By playing HOT on their PC not yours.

(edited by Hybarf Tics.2048)

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

Most important question is: Will gw2 switch to dx10?
Iam no softwere doctor, but Witcher 3 will take only one patch to add dx10 option. I hope i dont have to mention huge benefits for performance in dx10.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Most important question is: Will gw2 switch to dx10?
Iam no softwere doctor, but Witcher 3 will take only one patch to add dx10 option. I hope i dont have to mention huge benefits for performance in dx10.

Witcher 3 is also a single player game.
Which has been developed with dx10 in mind.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Is there’s a likelihood we’ll get a 64 bit client so we stop getting:

—> Crash <—
OOM: Heap, bytes=8389088

—> Crash <—
OOM: Heap, bytes=1048624

etc? Pretty sad I have a great computer and I can’t even run the game on what I could potentially run the game because if I do I always end up crashing at any kind of large event.

64bit is a must have. Even WoW and Wildstar have it.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I have the remains of an AMD athlon 64 3000+ still in my parts and pieces corner. It was a 64 bit PC… it is now 10 year old…

I don’t mind if 64 bit would be introduced, and Multithreading should be optimized for 4(+) cores. Maybe you could make sure I can use more of my 6 cores and the 32 Gb of memory… dual cores are nice and all.. I understand you want to cater to the low end as well. bt the game nowhere uses any capacities of systems from the present day,

Old system, now 7+ yrs old… :

Hardware Spec:
-CPU: 2x AMD Opteron 2376 2,30Ghz (2 x quadcore)
-GPU: Sapphire ATI 6870 1Gb
-Tyan Thunder 3600B S2927 A2NRF-E (Nforce 3600 Pro Chipset)
-16 Gb 667Mhz ECC-REG (Kingston)
-WIndows 7 64 Bit SP1
-HDD C : OCZ Vertex-4 256Gb SATA3 (on SATA 2port) (Windows/Programs)
-HDD D : Samsung F1 Raid-Stripe 2×750Gb (swapfiles/userfiles/programdata)
-HDD E : Samsung F1 Raid-Stripe 2x 1Tb (Other…)

Game setting: Windowed (maximized on Screen 1)
Display Resolution (Screen1 1920*1200, Screen 2 1920*1080)
Graphic Settings (Best FPS/Choose/Best apperance)

FPS Value:
PVE 37-52/26-35/12-20
Cities: 42-61/35-56/16-35
PVP : N/A
WvWvW: N/A

Game setting: Full Screen (on Screen 1)
Display Resolution (Screen1 1920*1200, Screen 2 1920*1080)
Graphic Settings (Best FPS/Choose/Best apperance)

FPS Value:
PVE 35-75/27-44/22-38
Cities: 35-61/35-56/16-35
WvWvW: N/A

Normally I run:
Medium with blur and High-res char & Best textures when windowed and
when full screen giving me 25-45 FPS depending on theamount of objects on the terrain
Best appearance without fxaa filtering & T+S reflections giving me 30 FPS almost constantly without VS
It works OK on a 5 yr old workstation.

GW2 build #latest: 15977

Present System: 2 yr old.

An update:
-CPU: 1x Intel i7 3930K 3.2Ghz (stock) HexCore (w HT: 12 threads)
-GPU: 2x Nvidia Geforce 780 GTX (Yes, it is SLI-ed) 3Gb
-Asus Rampage IV Extreme (X79 Chipset)
-32 Gb 1866Mhz (Corsair Vengeance)
-WIndows 7 64 Bit SP1
-Standard Scythe Mugen 3 Rev B (Air)cooler
-HDD C : OCZ Vertex-4 256Gb (on SATA III port) (Windows/Programs)
-HDD D : WD Velociraptor 250gb (on SATA III port) (Swap/User)
-HDD E : WD Blue Raid-Stripe 2x 1Tb (SATA II ports) (Other…)

Game setting: Windowed (maximized on Screen 2)
Display Resolution (Screen2 1920*1200, Screen 1 1920*1080)
Graphic Settings (Best FPS/Best apperance)

FPS Value: (SLI values)

PVE 100-218/44-125 (average 70-90 best graphics) (low values at events, high value with environment alone)
Cities: 97-170/25-125 (average 33-42 best graphics) (the average value is Lions Arch at the bank, other cities are 15-25 FPS higher )
WvWvW: 34-144 (Highest/Highest settings)

Setting were tested with an open mind in my head, max results are mostly in cramped spaces, dungeons, alleyways & corridors etc.

Graphics frame rates have inproved drastically, drivers have reached way better performance, gw2 has been optimized as well… in events nowadays I have 18-22 FPS. in the open world it’s about 100-140 but I use maxed out sli-able settings also in Nvidia settings… It sounds strange :My FPS goes down, but I use all options nowadays, full range colors, max resolutions (up to 3840*2400), with supersample. Only drastic change is do not use character limit highest anymore but high. else it tends to freeze during Tequatlk and WVW battles when fully zoomed out, and biggest FoV, it gives a crash warning, which I generally ignore and I have ~5 min gamepoplay remaining, then it locks completely. If i can get the chest in this time I keep playing, else I get a party and reboot/ kill gw2 thread.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

32bit works on 64bit but 64bit doesn’t work on 32bit same with DirectX, so creating a 32bit DX9 client provides the widest reach.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

32bit works on 64bit but 64bit doesn’t work on 32bit same with DirectX, so creating a 32bit DX9 client provides the widest reach.

Or have both like other games.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Any news on this Gaile?

Posted by: Danek.9450

Danek.9450

considering how much money it will rain when HoT hits ANet should consider its options to develop a SEPERATE 64bit client or at least a 64bit DX12 one, of course not for HoT, but for the expansion after that..

I have no problem with ANet developing with a heavily modified GW1 Engine, it lets users with slower machines run the game, but what i absolutely hate are the limitations that come with DX9: No multicore rendering, only a limited number of drawcalls/frame

So no matter how beastly your PC build is, Dx9 WILL FAIL ALWAYS in delivering awesome fluid scenarios with a lot of action during WvW or World Boss events.