Knighthonor.4061

How would you rate the HoT Fun Factor?
10 being the most fun
and 0 being the least fun.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Zhemos.6290

Zhemos.6290

Solid 5. I’d give it a perfect 10 if i could unlock my elite sepc at a reasonable pace. Atm its just not that fun.

Posted by: teegees.9638

teegees.9638

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’ve still got a rage headache, so right now a 4/10.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Gryffenne.8639

Gryffenne.8639

Having a ball between my 80’s playing in HoT zones and my baby Rev.

I’d say, about a 7-8.

I do wish that Elite specs could be unlocked at a better pace for more functionality. I don’t like the idea of by the time I am practically done exploring is when my spec will be fully operational. I like to learn as I go, not get the final handful of puzzles pieces right at the very end. Maybe I will have to try pvp just so I can play around with the end 2/3’s of my elite specs.

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Well, all of us know the real numbers.

$-1000<-122.34<-\pi^e<-\gamma<-0.00000001<-0.0000000000000000001 \in \mathbb{R}$

But if we continue this way, looks like the largest negative number will be

$-0.0000\dots1$, but this number, as defined by Cantor, is $0$.

So can we say the largest negative number is $0$

HoT funfactor is less than the above.

Posted by: Vyshan.2345

Vyshan.2345

I’d give it a 3.
The story was fun, up until “You need to unlock XX mastery to continue” coupled with the inability to unlock my elite spec.

I’ve just stopped playing entirely.

Posted by: sharkswithlazers.7632

sharkswithlazers.7632

At times, 9/10 the new zones are super cool. But the fact that I am grinding so that I can grind something else, so that I can unlock my elite specialization/ story progression is inherently unfun. I just spent like an hour staring at my character select screen trying to decide who I want to grind with the most… 0/10

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

im very frustrated because
the maps are stunning
the story is fine
the enemies, weapons, armors – all good to great

but – the pathfinding, complicated maps, hero points and mastery grinding – its incredibly frustrating to me right now….especially cause i feel im running around for 2 hours only to achieve something worth 15 minutes…

and this is really a shame – cause it has so much great and beautiful stuff – but after hours of not finding stuff im ready to throw my keyboard into the screen

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

content——good
features——terribad

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

I love the people complaining about not being able to get elite spec day 1, really? lmao

9/10 so far, loving everything to bits. The new prorgession system is very fun compared to just gaining a LVL but you gain something totally different with masteries

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

still quite early in but id say 8-9..

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

HoT specifically zero. I want to enjoy it, but I’m spending too much time grinding for elite specs, which were the primary reason I bought the game.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

I’m not sure what your problem with unlocking the elite specs is?

I started with doing the first story chapters on a few alts, so I was able to fill the first mastery for gliding and itzel. Already got the second on both today through exploring/events.
The “lack of fun” you’re describing sounds more like a “I’m too overwhelmed by the different possibilities I have to choose between because I have to get through it as fast as possible”… and that on day 2.

For me, it’s a 7-8, since
1) I like the feeling of the new maps. Reminded me of some GW1 maps in that region, especially the colors.
2) I like the story missions, since they are quite diverse (from what I’ve already seen)
3) The needed masteries seem a bit grindy, but only if you want to rush through the story real quick without exploring. Plus, it won’t be a problem on second playthroughs with alts anymore.
4) I like the fractal changes
5) I like the many new collections
6) I like most of the new mobs. Partially quite interesting, especially the dinosaur types and wyverns.
7) What I don’t like is: champions in hero point challenges and partially hard-to-find PoI’s/challenges etc because of the 3-layer-system.

Posted by: Noa.7490

Noa.7490

-10 at the moment. I regret having prepurchased this. Should have waited for the reviews.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I would say a solid 8 so far – very good and I’m enjoying it, but there are a few minor frustrations.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

I give it a big fat zero.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m enjoying it, but the constant grind gates are a massive tedium, especially for someone like me who works every day and can only get on for a few hours each day.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Goldenrevolver.4371

Goldenrevolver.4371

cant rate…must grind…

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: nikotuck.7259

nikotuck.7259

3/10

Would be better if getting the elite spec wasn’t so frustrating.

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

Roughly 2/10…

Posted by: Yunni.8296

Yunni.8296

3/10

I’m enjoying most of the story, but the maps are extremely frustrating for me. I can’t seem to reach hero points and the ones I do, I don’t have the mastery unlocked for it. It makes it very hard to enjoy the game.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Actually i don’t even are motivated to login at all.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Exterior Knight.5132

Exterior Knight.5132

5 since A Net is going to force WvW players to PvE and map complete to unlock the class they’ve already paid for. Awesome graphics, gameplay is fun.

I just feel like A Net since all the WvW players a message as such… “Master say you WvWers do PvP or no new spec line for you. You want that new spec line you’ve paid for right? Well better get to the PvEing and Map Completion then master demands it!”

I’ll give GW2 post HoT a solid 5 as I take my business else where. I’ll be kitten to be a game dev slave. My money my enjoyment not my money dev enjoyment. Point and point.

Actually you can unlock your elite spec completely in WvW, you get certain items that you trade to vendors and then the item you get from the vendors completes a random hero point instantly, you don’t even need to leave WvW

Posted by: HipposWild.7185

HipposWild.7185

2 the game is gorgeous but playing it without a big group is a horrible experience.

#1 of all #1 players as ranked by a fair and unbiased committee

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Around 4/10.

- elite grind is a chore, in order to get hero points you have to grind masteries…all of them. And not just first levels, all levels. I have to do this on all chars, some of which do not have even near world completion thus along with having to do hot + mastery grind in it’s entirety…I have to 100% every char I intend to play just to be able to use my elites. Wth!
- events are far and few between and give very very little exp. I am now grinding static trash spawns since with kill booster/food this is 2x faster than wandering around aimlessly looking for rare events. I expect after mentioning this, they will nerf static mob spawn exp post haste.
- event flow here is non-existant, they seem to have gone for a completely random design. this is not like SW where after a few runs it’s not only easy to understand what to do…it also ‘flows’. ie. there is no question what to do or where to go. Not so in HoT, endlessly running around in circles. Oops, I died for the 100th time to some unavoidable mechanic that my elite if fully unlocked might have prevents, well lets have that fun super long walk back and hope it’s not over by the time I get there. Opps it was. /camp
- speaking of rare events, when I do find an event there is NO people. Most these events need at least 5 people if not a zerg to complete. People who come after this intial rush are in for a suprise when they can’t advance since people before, due to bad experiences will not be coming back to help. GL completing these a month or two from now! You’ll need it!
- map design is like zelda but worse; it’s a maze from hell. There is no openness, no I am being funneled through and endless cave that is filled with dead ends. This cave is also three dimensional which makes it even worse. HoT is essentially one gigantic jump puzzle, I hate jump puzzles btw.
- despite this being a expansion launch that should have a massive amount of people, yet when I play in these new zones I rarely see anyone. Infact I went 1 hour last night wandering around and didn’t see a single person. I have reloged/zoned many many times now to try to get into a new instance with people but it’s always the same; hot is dead player wise. It’s either there isn’t many playing or mega server is not working right.
- this game now crashes without fail after 50-60 minutes with an OOM error. Assume this is a memory leak. this is really frustrating me. No other game I have does this, only gw2.
- and speaking of that crash, due to the design of events where you gotta be participating for the entire 2 hours of night/day and also get dumped into different instances once I re-load from a crash…I can’t get any thing done! Thus, like I said, I will have to grind static spawns to get exp. Fun? hardly.

All I can say, from the moment I logged into play HoT there has been kitten blocks at every single turn of the corner. Oh want to go next step story or get that HP? Tough kitten, you gotta grind like a dog. I should be having fun here. In the end, if I had full elite spec unlocked quickly without problems I think my opinion would be completely different…

As of such, playing HoT over the last few days has actually given RL headaches. The asprin company must be pleased.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

Map: 10/10 (sorry but I really like it)
Elite spec scrapper(main) : 5/10
Fun: 8/10

I read that many ppl frustrating from new maps. Idk why..

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

A 5 of 10. Fun story and places ruined by artifical grind to enjoy them.

Posted by: Killnnikk.2479

Killnnikk.2479

Its a waste off cash and time, It is just one big jumping puzzle with very poor lay out.

One would think that the lack of players in Dry Tops would tell them that a lot of players dislike that kind of game play.

2 out of 10.

Posted by: inch.3769

inch.3769

10/10 no lie. The game is epic, best expansion i’ve ever played.

[tc]

Posted by: Pecar.1236

Pecar.1236

they need increase exp from kill and event beacause farming +2.5 mil exp for mastery when i got 4-12k exp from event and 500-700 exp from kill is terrible for me 1/10 hot 10/10 core game

Attachments:

(edited by Pecar.1236)

Posted by: Thunderwitch.3672

Thunderwitch.3672

0/10
this is not game, this is trash.
gw2, unfortunately, no longer my favorite game.

Posted by: Regionalitch.6890

Regionalitch.6890

3 out of 10, and that’s only because I am looking forward to playing the elite specializations, when I eventually get there . For now, I am not enjoying HoT, not one bit.

Posted by: knh.9378

knh.9378

less fun than WoD. yeah i said it. and thats saying a lot.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

3/10

This is an expansion they say!?
So why aren’t mobs dropping new items or skins and why aren’t we using new skills to kill these mobs!?
There are skills tied to elites which are gated behind story and a number of exp grind points so thats no fun as you have the same old skill till that point and not all elites are even fun…
There are new skins and items but there all in the cash shop and BLK Lion deal the term epic loot or even mediocre loot doesn’t describe this game at all…
We explorring maps? or are we checking out small tidbits of a map before we are forced to grind masteries…

GW2 was the feel good MMO were end game started the second you created your character. Casual grind with a friendly community and you could go even at level 1 into any map you wanted too if you could survive as exploration was unlimited and so was your desire. HoT is nothing like the core at all and nothing like what the devs initially promised for this game. This was a casual MMO that everyone could enjoy and it was fun and they stripped all that down when they released this game.

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

Arenanet needs to really take a hard look at how they define ‘horizontal progression’ to what the definition of ‘gaming grind’ is.
I believe that in their quest to create no grind, they blurred the lines and are now on the other side of the fence.

Too much feature gating.
Too steep a learning curve from what the player base is used to
Slow flow story – (I find myself asking, “why do I care, again?”

It’s a real shame too, because you can see the amount of work the staff put into this xpac.
A bloody shame

(edited by NoxInfernus.2361)

Posted by: Pecar.1236

Pecar.1236

when i play auric basin map i find 2/3 of the map is empty there is only some event what you can do again and again thats all wtf on core map 1-15 is far more things and events to do this anet expansion is very big fail you need 40 hero challenge for unlock specialization but these 40 hero challenges need incredible time beacause you need grinding milions exp for mastery unlock its faster do 100% map completion in core game that grind milions exp from low reward events and mob kills.

(edited by Pecar.1236)

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Visually, I love it.

The visual aspect of this game almost always makes me smile.

The jungle flowers, the Hylek and their treetop home are great.

So, I would give it a 5/10 overall, just for that alone.

I can’t really add any more points for anything else, yet.

It’s not completely devoid of fun, but some of it is unfortunately in negative territory, so that pretty much cancels out any fun you might have had, previously.

I’m still only on the first map, though.

Hopefully, once I have got used to it and/or moved on to other maps, I will be happier.

less fun than WoD. yeah i said it. and thats saying a lot.

I wouldn’t quite go that far…

For one thing, they added gliding, rather than taking away flying.

Also, they are giving no one anything much, in terms of gear.

As opposed to Blizz, who are only giving “real” raiders anything decent, this time around.

Anet may have wandered off the path slightly, but Blizz have well and truly thrown themselves in front of the truck.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Griszek.9014

Griszek.9014

0 – waste of money and time

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

(% drop chance of a precursor)/10

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: NovaDaevas.9412

NovaDaevas.9412

3/10

- The artstyle and the design of the map is gorgeous, i really love the new verticality and alot to explore.

- Mobs, AI Improvements and Challenge is way better than in vanilla. I actually have to put way more thought into my movement and abilities.

- Story is a bit predictable, but still fun and i really want to know how it is going to develop.

- The new effects for skills and the overall balancing feels better.

Now to the bad sides.

- $!§% Elite spec behind a 400 Hero point wall is ludicrous. Whoever had that idea should renember why people are actually playing this game.

- Gating Story Content behind masteries. This really gave me the feeling i was playing a korean grinder rather than my beloved Guild Wars 2.

- Gating Area content behind masteries.. Dying by poison because i didnt put enough grind into a certain faction, just prolonging everything AGAIN.

- Grinding Insane amounts of Exp and Mastery points to actually do this. Why the Exp? Why do i need to do that if i already do challenges which prove more around my skills rather than my patience?

- Nerfing / Prolonging content by splitting addon / core game into two separate entities. Why cant i use my normal Tyrian XP to level my maguuma masteries or vice versa?

Overall, im heavily disappointed.. I expected alot from Anet here and i know that, but this hit rock bottom with me.

Posted by: Irikami.6270

Irikami.6270

9/10.

The new maps are amazing and for sure will be even better after some updates, the new system actually is something for players bored like me to do. This rate “9” is for most ppls from our guild, they’re really enjoying the new content too. Idk about the fun after some weeks but i can say that i’m happy for what i paid.

I just don’t understand all the whining, why guild wars 2 players always want everything so easy and just press 1 is a mystery for me.

Artien Ni, Engineer
Naraku no Kitsune, Necromancer
Fort Aspenwood (GODS)

Posted by: knh.9378

knh.9378

9/10.

The new maps are amazing and for sure will be even better after some updates, the new system actually is something for players bored like me to do. This rate “9” is for most ppls from our guild, they’re really enjoying the new content too. Idk about the fun after some weeks but i can say that i’m happy for what i paid.

I just don’t understand all the whining, why guild wars 2 players always want everything so easy and just press 1 is a mystery for me.

great job not actually reading or comprehending any of the complaints.

“omg theyre criticising something i like? TRIGGERED must be a bunch of entitled whiners! my opinion is right and theyre wrong!”

calling someone a whiner because you dont agree with them just makes you look like someone who cant have a decent discussion or take any critique. makes me cringe.

Posted by: LegallyBinding.4937

LegallyBinding.4937

7/10 for the new zones. I think they are quite good overall. Don’t mind the hero point gating on elite specs either.

Only things that are killing me are (1) my fiance can’t even download the xpac because the launcher keeps crashing; and (2) druid got rofl nerfed (or is bugged) and we have gotten no feedback/comment from dev about it.

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

The new zones are probably great and look lovely and i would prolly have wandered into them and did everything once on the 1 character thats ever done a few hours pve eventually however my game modes are pvp/wvw and the prospect of spending all my time for the foreseable future grinding to hell and back so i can use elite spec is just discouraging me to bother.

I’ll go with 2/10 since you finally put in a new border map but i seriously regret buying HoT for both my accounts and will probably just play core specs and chalk the lost money up to experience. Never have I logged off and got bored with an expac or game on its release day so gg for that anet

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

8 / 10.

Would be 9 if Elite wasn’t grindy.

Posted by: Metallus.7690

Metallus.7690

I bought this expansion solely for Mesmer and Necromancer elite specs. No other reason.

What do I get? 400 pts to unlock the elite spec ugh. But fortunately I had enough points on both characters to at least unlock the new weapon and the first trait.

So well, I’m not playing the elite spec to its fullest potential, but at least I get to use the new weapons and the new mechanics. The maps look very good, but they kill my fps hard. I’ll probably enjoy it more once I get my hand on a better PC.

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

10 being the most fun
and 0 being the least fun.

The enemies are (mostly) fun and mechanically interesting to fight, and while it’s quite labrinthine I’m finding the areas fun to navigate aroun, now I’ve got the glider and jumping pad mushrooms.

…which is where the rest pulls it down. The grinding for elite traitlines is just depressing. Due to how events seem to be organised as well, I find leveling up and unlocking masteries is taking a long time. Which are needed to advance the story and even gain access (and some are needed to try!) the hero point events. So a 5/10.

Posted by: Oyranos.9750

Oyranos.9750

I was happy yesterday and early today, till I decided to move into tyria and do so some events also, because after the small quest line, we have to randomly collect xp and I got tired with magumma (luck of players and luck of daily or dungeons). Then I found out that the game is forcing me to stick with magumma ONLY and do nothing else than running in the maps searching for random events… Or else we cannot progress our masteries, the xp bar is locked per area!

2/10

(edited by Oyranos.9750)

Posted by: Merkin.8412

Merkin.8412

10/10 no lie. The game is epic, best expansion i’ve ever played.

I agree.

Game is fun as hell, feel bad for all the people who can not enjoy this game as it is a total blast.