How would you rate the HoT Fun Factor?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: cdsmith.1072

cdsmith.1072

2/10 WAY too much grind and the Super Mario jumping cr@p has to go.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’d put it at a solid 8. I like the story, for how little I’ve done of it. I’ve run the prologue with four characters and it’s been fun each time. I love the new areas. Gliding is a blast, verticality is great, the new creatures are all cool. I kinda like Revenant. It’s going to be a while before I can play a Herald which I adore. I’m enjoying the elites I care to play and that’s without having traits or skills for them. Just the weapons and class mechanic changes are good enough so far.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

For now, I’ll rate it a 4/10.

I actually want to give it 2/10, but I’ve been a bit sick this weekend, and I worry that’s making me grumpier than I should be about this. So, being as positive as I can, I go up to 4/10, with the option to decide later that it wasn’t the sickness making me dislike it that much.

The two biggest problems for me are the Elite unlock costs, and the fact that guilds are now required to have guild halls for things they could do freely before the update, with no personal options (aka: Personal Housing using the same kind of system).

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

9/10 I love everything about this expansion, the only reason it’s not a 10 is because crashes reset your meta event reward lvl

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Remember the miserable Mordrem Invasion event that didn’t give any drops. That was 10 times more fun then this expansion.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

4/10.

If they reduce the insane HP amount 8/10.

Posted by: Takanashi.6548

Takanashi.6548

This expact is bs I dont even have SW because I dont pve, I only PVP so Im stuck looking for a way to get to the new map, why dont they just make a kittening portal at lions gate for kitten sakes.

Posted by: nikdik.1934

nikdik.1934

5/10.

Heart of Thorns is way too grindy and completely contradicts what the devs said at PAX and other game shows to hype the expansion up. While the new maps are extremely complicated in design and difficulty, it becomes pretty clear early on that you will have to grind the same events over and over to progress to other areas.

Do I even need to explain the ridiculous concept of hero point challenges? You better get a group who is willing to do those otherwise you are screwed for 90% of them. I bought this expansion for the elite specs and the new area. At this point, all I’m left with is a big 50$ grind disguised as content.

SWTOR is releasing a new expansion that is free for subscribers in 3 days. I think I’m going back to that for a while.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

It’s more frustrating than fun for me, It’s absolutely beautiful though
It’s really grindy all just for blues & greens. I don’t see myself playing in verdant brink long unless something changes

Armor needs to drop more often from chests

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

4 for fun, -10 for frustration so net of -6

Mobs are too tough and too many, can’t find enough people to do hero points and events and rat mazes went out with last century RPGs. Insane grind and difficulty accessing mastery points.

Annoying “objective captured” pop-up blocking my view in WvW has pretty much ruined that aspect of the game for me as well unless they remove it.

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

Story:
9/10. There are a few points that become tedious, but I really am enjoying the narrative. I can’t wait to find out more. Unfortunately I’m gated behind masteries.

Mastery:
0/10. I’m sorry but I can’t stand this system. I should not have to grind out millions of experience points from events that only give 4-8k experience just to progress one story mission. On top of that, some of these masteries I know I will never use again. I will only unlock them for story purposes. That’s a waste of my time. Hours of grind should not reward me with a 30 minute instance wherein I get some dialogue.

Gameplay:
2/10. The Mordrem are awful to fight against. My wife is a Ranger and she has tons of options in a battle. I’m a sword/board warrior in full Exotic Sentinel’s gear and the enemies in HoT punch through me as though I were paper and they were assault rifles. I’m not in combat for 5 seconds before I’ve exhausted my dodges, I’m stunned, and then downed. God forbid I get downed and 3 Mordrem Snipers lay their fire lines on me, killing me in 1/4 the time it takes to bleed out. Cracker-jack job on these enemies. Reminds me of the Bloody Prince’s 25-bleed-stack extravaganza from 2 low-class enemies. Stop with the CC. It should not be substituted in for challenge.

4/10 for me overall.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Asa.3602

Asa.3602

Fun = 2
Annoyance = 12

It was fun for the first 2 hours as i got to explore the new maps and fractal etkittenil i realized unlocking my mastery requires endless amount of grinding dungeons, and in the case of Maguuma doing repetitive pve events. I can’t unlock my elite spec without spending days leveling up said masteries doing pve content that i have absolute no interest in.

Thanks Anet. I’m sure you think players love to send hours and hours doing the same content because Silverwaste was so popular. Except you seem to forget SW was only popular for gold, but the new maps don’t give much $$ and very little in terms of rewards. Only motivation to do the event on new map is to grind mastery so we can UNLOCK OUR SP. Much appreciated challenging, and intense content with skewed reward to effort ratio.

Also why do old players who played majority of Tyria content not receive a head start in Mastery exp? Just because there’s a new system doesn’t mean you get to ditch your old player base and say ‘kitten you for playing this long, we don’t care. You can get a fresh start like newbies of gw2.’ Yea geez thanks alot Anet for the consideration.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

The good:
1/10 I like the new opponents, at least most of them.
2/10 Glidding is fun. No reason to buy HoT, but a good idea still.
3/10 Fractals got something good and new. Give me new fractals and this would be even better and a 4/10.
4/10 Precursor made obtainable.
5/10 Masteries are ok.
6/10 The continuation of the story is good.
7/10 New collections

And the bad:
6/10 The first map is pure Super Mario, thast´s disgusting for people who have a bad sense of orientation. I expected to mee a pizza delivery boy or a gorilla throwing barrels at me any time.
5/10 HP are not only hard to complete, they are like little jumping puzzles in some instances on the first map. Despicable.
4/10 Gates! Gates everywhere!

I guss that HoT is much more fun if you have all the skills you can obtain from it, but up until then, not so much.

Posted by: Vicko.1204

Vicko.1204

I’ve seen so many ppl using Super Mario,including myself,as a term to describe the HoT map experience!It comes naturally I guess :-D Super Mario Wars 2

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

Platforms jumping should be a sideshow and not a major feature.

I do not play GW2 to play platform jumping games.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

I’m not sure what your problem with unlocking the elite specs is?

I started with doing the first story chapters on a few alts, so I was able to fill the first mastery for gliding and itzel. Already got the second on both today through exploring/events.
The “lack of fun” you’re describing sounds more like a “I’m too overwhelmed by the different possibilities I have to choose between because I have to get through it as fast as possible”… and that on day 2.

Surprise surprise, the person saying that they don’t mind mains an elementalist.

Elementalist —→ Tempest is a perfectly fine gate, the tempest and elementalist are fundamentally similar playstyles, so the people that want to play tempest are probably also the people that like elementalist.

It becomes less reasonable when you tell someone that in order to unlock the ranged spec that they love the playstyle of, they have to play through either the entire HoT, or at least half of HoT and the entire central Tyria as a guardian, the class regarded as having the absolute worst ranged capability in the game, that they quite logically want to avoid like the plague if they only enjoy ranged classes, in order to unlock it.

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

Honestly, all I’ve been doing so far is grinding to get the elite spec in EOTM, fun is maybe a 2 for the occasional zerg fight.

But for HoT content can’t say much.

Posted by: Vyzare.3907

Vyzare.3907

7.0 When I’m levelling my Revenant in Tyria, the class is fun so far and was one of the big reasons I wanted the expansion

1.0 For anything actually in the expansion. It’s been a huge letdown so far. Grind xp in events to unlock a mastery to do the next leg of the story to grind more xp for the next mastery so I can hop around on mushrooms. The mastery crap just seems arbitrary and not at all fun to me.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I’ve seen so many ppl using Super Mario,including myself,as a term to describe the HoT map experience!It comes naturally I guess :-D Super Mario Wars 2

Because it has everything that Mario has too. Looking for power ups, multilayered. Even the mushrooms are there! And if Hylek were tortoises instead of frogs, Bowser would also be there. The only things missing are gorillas, a princess, plumbers and beards on most Marios, ehm, players.^^

Posted by: Segev.4108

Segev.4108

I like the maguuma maps, very challenging in both mobility and combat. The masteries are a nice add especially now that they’re going to remove the storyline gate. The elite specs gate are simply a nightmare. Overall 7/10.

Posted by: CSRevenant.9037

CSRevenant.9037

It’s kitten great when you spend half an hour or more working your way to a HP, only to uncover it needs a mastery, or is a champ, and nobody is around because that champ is in the bottom of a kitten labyrinth.

80 everything

Posted by: Aldric the Slayer.5784

Aldric the Slayer.5784

7/10
I really enjoy the new content and the difficulty of the new zones. My biggest concern is that after the initial hype of the release wears off we may not have enough people in these maps to successfully neat some of these quests.

I love the new story content and having my character’s voice actor make a return was a great personal touch.

My biggest issue with HoT is the elite spec grind. Some people may enjoy map completion, but with the 5 or so lvl 80 characters I have, only one of them has 100% core game map completion and my second place character is about 45% I don’t want to go through core Tyria to get my elite spec at a ridiculously slow pace, but the amount of time and grind required to get the masteries necessary to get all the Maguuma skill points is ludicrous. I want to play HoT with my elite spec, not play HoT to get my elite.

So, granted there’s that gripe, but aside from that I really do love the game. They’ve made a lot of great improvements and it’s very easy to see how hard they have worked to produce this really quite engaging expansion

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

3/10

I can’t find fun because of this Elite spec grind. I feel very forced into grind instead of having fun.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

8/10 for the time being. would be 9/10 if some parts were 10% less grindy.

Could be wrong about this, but I think many people left their sense of exploration and challenge behind when going in. The expansion made me start playing with sound again and I have to say it really sets the ambiance for each map (first two anyway).

To be clear, I did not follow a commander, I did not go about pressing autoattacking, but I am playing a druid (started at 210/400, currently at 280/400 or so, since I can’t play now).

Enemies are challenging, gliding is fun, masteries rock (need to cut back on the grind slightly though) and the story so far seems pretty good (even though it got Wash-ed out).

I reserve further judgment for when I go in with alts.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Kazuto.2798

Kazuto.2798

8/10

Absolutely love the new story; feels much more immersive.
The new maps are absolutely gorgeous and really fun to explore.
The masteries are great long term goals that I am looking forward to work towards.
Stronghold is really fun and a nice change from conquest.
Haven’t stepped into WvW yet, but it looks interesting; will miss the old borderlands though.

A little comment on all of the people complaining about the “grind.”
Masteries require work. Everything being fed to you so easily is boring and there is no sense of achievement once you reach your goal. All you really need to do is just play the game and you will get there. Its disappointing that the game presents some new goals and some players just want their things without actually working.

That said, I do agree that trying to get your masteries takes a bit too long. Trying to get millions of EXP at a rate of 18000 EXP for events and 1200 EXP for mobs. Though, I’m hoping ArenaNet doesn’t change the system to be too fast and too easy. I still want to have to work to get them.

Kiwi
Sempiternal Order [SO]
Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Kazuto.2798)

Posted by: inkpot.6980

inkpot.6980

It looks good but the number of different gates required to even begin to play the expansion are a disappointment as far to many parts of the game require completion of grinds before you playing what was paid for.

Posted by: Shadowzerk.4715

Shadowzerk.4715

I am a solo player, cos my work hours are diff than others.
is HoT friendly & fun for Solo player?

1 point for Glider
1 point for Glider
and thats it

2/10 in total

Sanctum of Rall – Frontier Commander of DNS

Posted by: Hyori.3624

Hyori.3624

I am a solo player, cos my work hours are diff than others.
is HoT friendly & fun for Solo player?

1 point for Glider
1 point for Glider
and thats it

2/10 in total

Currently it’s terrible for solo play.

Everything will most likely 1Hit Kill you.

If you’re planning to do Hero Points Challenge it is possible (I had to solo the one in Creeping Crevasse) depending on the champion you’re tasked to face (I had troll with bees) you may or may not have enough damage to kill boss within the 4 minute timer.

I can’t say the game isn’t a grind fest right now since the expansion zone is starting to become a “Quick grind out masteries so you’ll never have to do it again ever ever ever again.” I forsee the expansion zone being abandoned just like Dry Top.

As for fun meter, I’d give it a 4/10.

I couldn’t stand more than 2 hours of gameplay with confusing map, glitching quests, and just straight up annoying Mastery system. The whole time I was “playing” the game I kept muttering to myself what idiot in their right mind would have reason to lock story behind Mastery walls. I know most of us play games as stress relief but this expansion makes me more aggravated the longer I play it and I’ve played grinding games like Monster Hunter and Toukiden..

(edited by Hyori.3624)

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Change the elite spec traits and utilities cost…. Make them the same cost as the normal traits and utilities and keep the traits and utility upgrade circles separate….. If Anet did this my rating for HoT would be 7 out of 10

Monsters and npcs are at a nice competitive level, maps are beautiful, story seems solid so far

Please no more kangaroo wars or flying squirrel wars for future expansions. Don’t like trend towards platforming game

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

9/10

- The ammount HP needed to get max Elite spec is a little too much.
- Adventures are locked behind events.
- Boss timers on HP challanges.

+ We claim our Guild Hall yesterday and it was one of my best MMO gaming experiences ever.
+ Elite spec’s are awesome.
+ Revenant is realy well done.
+ All Guild Features is so Awesome especially the new guild combined chat.
+ Story is perfect and has the GW1 feeling to it, makes me almost cry of joy.
+ I love the new maps with so many secret stuff everywhere and well you always find something new.
+ Adventures is a neat idea, havent had the chance to try them so much due to locked behind events.
+ Difficulty, awesome to finally have a challange treversing the story and just not plow through the game.
+ New PvP reward tracks are interesting.
+ Havent played on release but in beta but Stronghold is an interesting game mode.
+ New statcombos, sigils and runes to work for.
+ Interesting collections and Achievements.
+ Massive replayability.

This expansion is the best expansion I have ever played, it may or may not have more content than another game but the content is not just there to plow through in a week and then I can play another game, HoT will probably have me hooked for another 3 years.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Not having any fun at all.

Posted by: Hedge.8760

Hedge.8760

As a solo player? Atrocious. My 2-man guild can no longer do missions. We can’t get a guild hall to decorate.
We can’t do the crazy champions on a time limit for hero points. Masteries roadblock even the only single-player content: the story. Reaper is fun, I suppose.
3/10. Thanks for excluding solo playes and tiny family-guilds.

Posted by: TMcMahon.5014

TMcMahon.5014

I’d give it a 3.
The story was fun, up until “You need to unlock XX mastery to continue” coupled with the inability to unlock my elite spec.

I’ve just stopped playing entirely.

Pretty much the same here. I’m having a lot less fun than I was having prior to the expansion releasing. I’m thinking of heading away for a few months, and seeing if I can enjoy it again after a good break.

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur

Posted by: Kreiri.9048

Kreiri.9048

This “Expansion” is why you NEVER, EVER, Pre-order a game.

This.

Practically all new content requires zerg. To unlock “mastery” you need to do these zerg-only events. Story is locked behind mastery. Your zerg died? ha ha, there’s only one working WP waaay back at the start. The bits which do not need zerg? Locked behind zerg-only events.

Fun score? negative 20.

Also: elite specs? what a f joke. Skill costs are like ten times higher than they should be. F this grind.

(edited by Kreiri.9048)

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

6/10

There is only a few things that I don’t like, but otherwise, it’s not too bad.

I can’t stand the gating. That bugs me beyond belief. Every time I try to go somewhere or try to do something, it’s gated behind Masteries. Want that hero point? Need bouncing/gliding/updraft/poison resist/etc to get it. Want to continue your story? You need bouncing/gliding/updraft/poison resist/etc to continue it. Want to get your elite spec? You need bouncing/gliding/updraft/poison resist/etc to get it.

You get the picture. Some times I just want to have some alone time and roam about doing things. Can’t do that in HoT. Everything requires a group of players or a zerg. Even the simplest thing like a hero challenge, that was once easy in Tyria, requires a zerg to complete now.

And then DR. Oh goodness the DR kicking in after 10-20 minutes. Sadly, you have to farm these events to level those Masteries, yet when that DR kicks in it just makes leveling Masteries a heavy chore and a job. It really puts a damper on the fun factor of the game.

And then of course, the lack of new armor sets. I mean come on. 60 bucks for this expac and we only get two sets? Ugh.

But otherwise, I love the soundtrack, the look of the zones, and all that stuff. I love the new active dialogue feature instead of those face to face chat scenes. Much better. And I love the random banter my character has now. Like for instance, my character just says “Hello there” to other players randomly, fully voiced and everything. It’s pretty neat (unless of course that’s a bug lol).

Overall, the game is pretty decent if it wasn’t for all the gating. That is the one thing that is making me not play as often. I log on for like an hour now and just stare at it and log off. It is just really disheartening to try and enjoy the game when everything is gated behind Masteries now. It doesn’t feel like fun, it feels like a job and a chore now.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Serith.3712

Serith.3712

Overall its an 8 so far, the area design, content and features are fun. Could really use different icon color for Hot hero points indicating which ones need new masteries to get. Total mastery points to unlock elite spec could be lower say 250-300ish.

Lastly, more of the events need to scale for solo players, I have no problem with some grouping required events but given size of the area finding players to do smaller events with like retaking rally points is difficult. Aside from this really liking day/night and how dynamic the map is.

Doesnt feel like a “zerg” is needed generally. No issues navigating the map solo, 80 warrior with soldier gear, definitely nowhere near getting one shot.

(edited by Serith.3712)

Posted by: Mayga.7241

Mayga.7241

1 – gliders
0 – guild hall, because I cannot see it, I have small guild with my friend.
0 – guild. Now we have only guild bank and nothing more. All our upgrades gone and we can upgrade our guild anymore, because there is 2 member. And Anet decided, that we must find third. We don’t agree with this.
0 – personal story. Gating.
0 – living world. Gating and grind and nothing more.
0 – elite spec. I play ranger. I play as DD. I don’t want to heal, I want to be damage dealer, as I was for 2 years. I will not play unpleasant spec for raids or something. But even if we forget about it – gating and grind hero points is horrible.
0 – mastery. Stupid grind ONLY in new locations.
0 – new WwW maps. They are ugly and disgusting. I have often admired the beauty of www areas. And now… I can only play on Eternal.
0 – map interface. All green. Did you or did not do hero point or mastery point – it is green. Oo
0 – gameplay. Unplayable solo anymore. Why? This game has been friendly to solo players. She welcomed them. And now you have thrown out MOST part of community over board? Who made the decision to force people to socialize? What for? Do you understand what you’ve done? You have an idea about the consequences? Take a look at feedback.
Draw conclusions. Correct this nonsense. Still not too late to do it …

1/10 in total. Only for gliders. So I paid $ 100 for the glider. ROFL. Great reward for my loyalty and payments over the years.

Other unplayable. But I still believe in the adequacy of Anet. I believe that all of this – it was a mistake that will be corrected soon.
I love this game. And I’m sad to look at what it turned into.

(edited by Mayga.7241)

Posted by: knarf.2381

knarf.2381

2/10 since you were asking for fun factor. No one likes the Hero Point GRINDFEST.
I’ve waited so long to try out the new elite specs on all my toons (13 in all) and found out I can’t even master 1 even though I had several toons with map completion. That’s the main reason I bought HoT. Can’t even imagine doing another elite spec over and over..I’m so disappointed with Anet right now. And that’s saying a lot..

Posted by: Virgil.2634

Virgil.2634

Marketed as an Esport…. Showed elite Spec videos to further the hype train. Elite Specs can’t be used during the completion of the HoTs content. I have never seen a new MMO with new zones and no new skills or skins to be used or seen. All this time was taken to make things pretty. To add vertical dimensions and these gliders and mushrooms and garbage i just dont care about. I want to play the game the way it was marketed with the new additions to classes. Yet all this grinding is required to play any elite spec no matter what gametype you like to play. Your forced into this grind choke and Anet misrepresented themselves. I haven’t ever played an MMO so poorly executed from its fundamental foundation up. It isn’t impossible to make grinding experience more fun and less tedious. I see so many players who arn’t hardcore pvp’ers who just dont have a chance to play what they paid for in all those videos showcasing these new elite specs. I help those i can but this is just complete garbage. People who paid $50 for this and don’t have time to pour into this boring sink im so sorry. Que mass exodus E-Sport! 0.1/10 (The textures are pretty)

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

1/10 atm. The 1 point solely for my character now talking while playing the HoT Story.
Anything else is just a huge disappointment and right now, I so regret having spend 200 € (!) for two exp packs for my wife and myself.
Mastery system is a pure grind fest, they don’t feel rewarding and is anything but fun. Instead of giving rewards, chances are big that fractals now lower your virtual wealth unless you’re one of those lucky followers of rng’sus.
Gateing Elite-Specs behind another wall’o’grind for long time players that already have played for thousands of hours is just another let down.

It’s beyong my imagination how some people in here can actually rate above 3/10.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: Rukiichan.4315

Rukiichan.4315

1. Grindy.

2. Only 2 of my 9 chars can unlock some of their elite specs.

3. Maps look good but it’s extremely frustrating to get points on it if you don’t know how to get them, especially the HP. Freaking champions with a 5 min time limit? I usually duo with a friend and we always have to wait for people to come to the HP. If they’re not champs then they’re commune with 5 vets guarding hurrah!

4. Some aforementioned points need aforementioned grind to get to.

5. Random crashes in the middle of 30 minute long story instances are you serious, I had to repeat one of them 4 times and another thrice due to the dcs and its not even my internet.

6. Storyline characters are annoying, especially braham. That meat head with mommy issues must be kittened or something, i laughed so hard when his momma died lmao 10/10 best cutscene in story.

7. Nothing much to do outside maguuma, waited 5-10 mins for a cof p1 party and not a soul joined, fractals filled up fast but loot was so crappy i’d rather spend my time afking, sick of halloween labyrinth grind and i’ll be kitten ed if i have to map complete my 7 other characters.

8. Verdant brink is empty most of the time and its hard to solo events, so now i just camp at auric basin where its not much better either with people going “O M G N O B O D Y K N O W S W H A T T H E Y ’ R E D O I N G” / “Y O U A L L S U C K” x10 in map chat. Well duh its the 3rd day since release what do ya expect and why do people type like that?

8. I rage quit at least 10 times the past 3 days. I’m not very emotional and I very rarely rage at anything or anyone, annoyed at worst, so this is quite an achievement.

9. Precursor crafting was pretty fun.

10. The new music is good. Its the highlight of this expansion for me.

So, 2/10. Yup.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Sarog.9068

Sarog.9068

3/10.
There was hope that the game will be more friendly to solo players, and ANet did not justify it. It’s a pity.

Posted by: Mits.2973

Mits.2973

Rename the game to Super Mario Wars2 : Gates of HP grind Fest.

Posted by: hennrick.4623

hennrick.4623

10 is exaggerating, but so far is at least a solid 7

You don’ t unlock the elite spec immediately, but honestly that makes it more appealing to get by exploring the content. And what an explorable content! I found myself falling under a rift and managed to get to a ledge to safety, for example, but then i looked at the bottom of the map and started questioning myself if there was something else under it. Guess what, i flew around a big tree and i found an hollow hole where there was an hero point!

Another one was at the Shrowded ruins. When i got close to that i noticed a marker on the map but did not know why, then i looked again at the name of the place, looked at the rocks… and noticed i could walk throught them! Not sure if that was intentional however xD
But when i reached the waking tomb that is where the fun began: alone, in a zone full of ledges and enemies with unknown powers ( from which knockback… on a place full of ledges. ugh ) and far away from any waypoint. I went super cautious, sneaking from the enemies ( i was playing the necro, so no stealth ) and killing single patrollers when they walked away from the other guards. Probably i overdid it, but since the region so far was really really punishing to lone travelers i was prompted to do so.

That is where i stopped thinking… when it was the last time i did something like this? Not only in GW2, but in every game. When it was the last time that i had to play with patience, analysis of a target and tactic to overcome a danger while being alone?

Not sure of how much of that translates in later zones, i am still lost in verdant brink and before going on with the LS i want to get reaper

Plus, the game release was almost flawless. There was the problem about the 2nd mission that blocked the portal but i was able to solve it by myself in 10 minutes, and overall even if there were problems many were either not game-breaking or very very restricted.

but this is just my opinion

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Id like to reduce my 8/10 to 6/10 because I just saw just what an EXP grind this game now has.

Im a casual player, with altitis, and I am ****ed both ways. Deleted 3 alts, might delete 1-2 more. Alts are even more a kitten liability than they were previously.

Posted by: Kaykero.7251

Kaykero.7251

I am not able to come up with a rating, because I do not have the right mastery yet.

I even wonder how we all are able to still post in the forum without having to grind a mastery first. After affecting even stuff from the core game negatively (ascended armor, fractal rewards, guild-stuff) I really find it interesting how they can kitten up the game so badly with just one update. I get that they want the f2p-players to buy HoT, but why the hell do I, as someone who plays this game since launch, grind millions of experience just to get where I was three days ago?

I love the difficulty, the more diverse palystyles it encourages, the look & feel of the new maps and even the story has a much higher production value – but I would like to enjoy those things as my elite spec. Also, I found not one single thing yet in this “expansion” that I could have instantly fun with, as I need to have “Mastery XYZ” first. How is this exploring if everything I can find is just useless?

It is such a shame too… The same company who brought us Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North.

Grind of Thorns – 4/10, hope we do not see the next expansion for a loooooong time

Posted by: Unknown.2796

Unknown.2796

Although I do not have HoT, it still has an impact on my gw2 “experience”.

They removed most (if not all) guild upgrades from the core game and put them into the guild hall which is only acquirable for HoT owners.

No HoT expansion = no guildhall = no upgrades = no WvW claiming.
Thank you Arenanet.

subzero/10

Dude you can enter Guild hall even you don’t have expansion

Yes, dude. I never said I couldn’t enter a guild hall.
http://imgur.com/RIM4Inp The whole point is getting one in the first place.

I need to pay 45 euros to be able to claim a kittening supply camp now?

Location, location, location.

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

I give it a 8/10 score. Stunning visuals. Interesting new play mechanics. Challenging enemies. Overall I am happy. The only reason why it didn’t get a 9 is the fact that, for central tyria, I fully mapped 7 different professions and completed 2 story instances and all I got was mastery points. It would have been nicer if all my masteries where unlocked for that region. It is what it is and I have a few more years till the new gw3 comes out to complete.

Posted by: Sifix.7893

Sifix.7893

Convoluted map littered with unexplained symbols, everything gated behind masteries, rarely seeing anyone in my area, hero points undoable solo to add to that.
Oh, and the tougher enemies resetting when i try to kite them a bit, while i stay in combat even when they’re out of sight. A really uplifting game experience after coming home from a long shift.
This expansion is such a letdown, it’s hard to even put in words.
I want my money back.

Posted by: MaJoBooOM.4851

MaJoBooOM.4851

8/10
Hot content is fun , I only hate the dungeon nerf..

Riverside. Marcus Yami [Gold]