I'd like a refund.

I'd like a refund.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hyouma.4910

Hyouma.4910

I used to love this game and was very excited about HoT the day before its release. Now two days have passed and I feel like I’ve done nothing but waste my time. I have buyer’s remorse and would like a refund.

The whole mastery system is designed to keep you grinding the same events over and over until you can get the mastery you want to reach the Hero Points to unlock parts of your elite specilization. I never cared for PvE events and the story, so for me to be able to enjoy my elite spec in WvW, fractals, raids I have to spend hours upon hours of grind with my old spec. It feels like Arenanet tried to stretch a 20 dollar expansion to a 50 dollar one and cleverly disguised the grind as “masteries”. Even the story is gated behind event grinding to level up your masteries.

Not only that but a lot of the Hero Points are impossible to get without a zerg of some sort. It’s impossible to solo the champions, so you have to organize people in map chat just to get one of the points. Did I also mention that the maps are dead already? They are severely underpopulated which makes it really hard to grind the events or organize people to get hero points to finally unlock a different traitline. There is one Hero Point in the city below Tarir, which requires you to organize about a hundred people to kill the bramble within a few minutes of each other just so you can get a tiny bit closer to your elite spec.

I’ve seen the argument “they’re elite dude, of course they’ll take a long time to get” used a lot. Elite specs do not give you some overpowered build, they give you a slightly different playstyle to keep the game from being stale. And some of these elite specs feel inferior to others (tempest for example). I have zero interest in organizing zergs to get hero points to play an elite spec with any of my alts.

You might now say “you could just farm the old hero points in Tyria or do WvW”. Sure you could do that if you hate yourself. Hundred percenting the old skill points in Tyria gets you about 200 points which is half of what is needed, and doing that for the sake of elites is mind numbingly boring and unengaging. Same with leveling up in WvW, you’re grinding long hours doing something you don’t want to do either way. As a player who leveled his Necro with EotM and PvP tomes I have no option but to grind one of these until I can finally play my Reaper. Why can I not go through the grindy events with my Reaper? Why is everything gated behind masteries and grind?

On top of this, if I wanted to fractal with my Reaper, I have a whole another grind to go through until I can get proper prizes from the fractals. Because Arenanet thought it would be a good idea to content gate the fractals (which I enjoyed before the expansion) as well.

All of this feels even more ironic since the game’s motto at launch was “No grinding!”. And it used to be true, most of the grind in the game was for cosmetics. But now we need to grind for better gear, different playstyles, rewards from fractals etc…

TLDR; the new content is unengaging, grindy and gated. Instead of having the players get their elites through fun quests, treasure hunting and story, Arenanet thought grinding masteries was a better way. The maps are vast with nothing but events and Hero Points, and they’re underpopulated. Solo players have no choice but to zerg for elites.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Turethir.7281

Turethir.7281

/signed

Although I won’t be asking for a refund I agree with everything you said.

I don’t want everything on day one and I have no problem having to work for some things. I just want a healthy middle ground especially when it comes to masteries/elite specs!

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

I don’t expect a refund, it’s been fun for a few years, but now Arenanet has lost me as a customer. I just don’t like the game anymore.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

I would like an official response from Anet……CAN WE GET A REFUND????

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Archy.1046

Archy.1046

To all that guys asking for a refund: can I have your loot?

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Turbotef.9203

Turbotef.9203

Always ask for a refund and fight for it. It drives home harder that they screwed up and need to fix/change things faster and what not to do next time.

So glad I didn’t end up getting this expansion, lol. Saw this coming a mile away.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Taltevus.3289

Taltevus.3289

You have to Take this up with Customer service. There was another thread on this matter the other night.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Shogun.7401

Shogun.7401

Submit a ticket. I got my money back

I'd like a refund.

Hyouma.4910

I looked at the customer support, it seems they only refund if you bought the game from their website. As I bought the key from a retailer I can’t request a refund it seems.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Some people got their money back? For real? O.o Hm… I bought HoT months ago and it was Ultimate and I’ve spent some of the Gems. I wouldn’t care it if they took the gem store items away from me… I wonder if a refund is possible in my case or not?

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I would like an official response from Anet……CAN WE GET A REFUND????

You can try. Just follow the instructions here…

…BUT, apparently, if you have bought GW2 at release for $60,00, then bought HoT for $50,00, and asks now for a refund of your $50,00, ArenaNet will shut down your entire account.

Yep, instead of just removing your access to HoT, looks like they will invalidate your entire $110,00 purchase when refunding your $50,00.

It sounds dishonest and illegal, but that’s what I have been told ArenaNet is doing.

Good luck.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Kalriostraz.6819

Kalriostraz.6819

I would like to point out they have already removed/are removing the mastery requirement from the story quests. It’s not huge exactly but it’s something. It had proven they’re listening if nothing else, so certainly keep watching if you can’t get a refund.

I'd like a refund.

Mea.5491

kitten , it says “within 30 days of the purchase”… I bought it like 4 months ago… Oh well. T_T

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: DarkusRogue.3027

DarkusRogue.3027

My refund request was accepted for my Heart of Thorns ultimate edition within 12 hours.

I was over the 30 day limit by 7 days, but they had no problem refunding me.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Kuro.4791

Kuro.4791

kitten , it says “within 30 days of the purchase”… I bought it like 4 months ago… Oh well. T_T

1. You should be ablet to get a refund, that rule should ONLY apply after release date, not pre order date, or at least Most Digital Services work like that (Steam, Origin, uPlay confirmed)

2. If you got HoT but before you have a Core account, they will only remove and you will stay have your core account, they wont terminate it. [EDIT: I asked for a refund and I still have my core account working]

3. Ask for a refund in support, they will ask for information that you got in your e-mail when you pre-purcheased the game on Anet Site, if you got the game from a 3rd party they can’t do it. Ask to them for they refund policy.

Regards.

(edited by Kuro.4791)

I'd like a refund.

Mea.5491

Thanks for the info, Kuro! I got it from the GW2 website, so… I’ll give it a try!

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

…BUT, apparently, if you have bought GW2 at release for $60,00, then bought HoT for $50,00, and asks now for a refund of your $50,00, ArenaNet will shut down your entire account.

Yep, instead of just removing your access to HoT, looks like they will invalidate your entire $110,00 purchase when refunding your $50,00.

It sounds dishonest and illegal, but that’s what I have been told ArenaNet is doing.

Good luck.

Turns out that’s wrong. In one of the other threads a person that got a refund said they still had access to their core account.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

Lol of all the pitiful threads I’ve read today, this one just feels outright sad. There’s so many people in this game who are just ready to rise up and complain at the slightest discomfort I can’t believe it lol. I mean really, asking for a refund now? For one they already released a considerable amount of info both in the form of videos and announcements and in the beta tests so I didn’t think most things were to unexpected. Am I particularly happy about some of the changes and having to go hard for specs and masteries? Maybe not but I have other fun things to do while I do them so who cares lol. Even if I did buy the expansion though and hated everything about it I would never ask for a refund however. I made the decision to spend money on it and if the game didn’t meet up with what I wanted it to well that sucks but to bad. I honestly think this expansion is what a lot of players need, people have been complaining about easy content for a while now well guess what, here you go lol you asked for this! Now not everything’s handed to everyone and you have to work a little for it, be happy people asked for this after all. X3 Just wish people could learn to take GW2 for what it is, a game, and stop acting like they’ve been cheated every time the game doesn’t go in the direction they want it to.

/rant off

I'd like a refund.

Hyouma.4910

Lol of all the pitiful threads I’ve read today, this one just feels outright sad. There’s so many people in this game who are just ready to rise up and complain at the slightest discomfort I can’t believe it lol. I mean really, asking for a refund now? For one they already released a considerable amount of info both in the form of videos and announcements and in the beta tests so I didn’t think most things were to unexpected. Am I particularly happy about some of the changes and having to go hard for specs and masteries? Maybe not but I have other fun things to do while I do them so who cares lol. Even if I did buy the expansion though and hated everything about it I would never ask for a refund however. I made the decision to spend money on it and if the game didn’t meet up with what I wanted it to well that sucks but to bad. I honestly think this expansion is what a lot of players need, people have been complaining about easy content for a while now well guess what, here you go lol you asked for this! Now not everything’s handed to everyone and you have to work a little for it, be happy people asked for this after all. X3 Just wish people could learn to take GW2 for what it is, a game, and stop acting like they’ve been cheated every time the game doesn’t go in the direction they want it to.

/rant off

It is a customer’s right to ask for a refund if they’re not happy with the product that was delivered. This is not “hard” content, grinding for 40 hours to finally enjoy the parts of the game you like is boring and unengaging as I mentioned. And don’t put words in my mouth, I didn’t complain about anything before, this is my first post.

I’d also like you to refute my points in the thread post since you addressed none of them in your post.

(edited by Hyouma.4910)

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Doombeldore.5074

Doombeldore.5074

/rant off

Not what I was expecting, completely in my right to ask for a refund. What would you do if you bought a jumper that had no arms on it? Deal with it?

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Kuro.4791

Kuro.4791

Can I summon the Manifiesto Moonlit? Also, some really important information was left to one week before launch, like… things that are now outside the table (FoTM leaderboard)… and dungeons nerf… (Dungeons were my favorite way to get money, thats the ONLY reason for I which asked a refund).

People are learning to avoid pre-purcheases now, I made a mistake that I would probably do again, I would ask a refund?, I don’t know; but check the BIG DRAMA that has The Creative Assembly with Total War: Warhammer because of the pre-purchease promotion. If we keep letting Developers do what they want with poor choises that affect players and still get our money they will keep doing it, the only way that player has to raise voices is with our wallets.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

/rant off

People aren’t complaining about difficulty they’re complaining about grind to artificially extend what is possibly a very lacking amount of real content. They’re two very different things.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

I'd like a refund.

Shogun.7401

Some people got their money back? For real? O.o Hm… I bought HoT months ago and it was Ultimate and I’ve spent some of the Gems. I wouldn’t care it if they took the gem store items away from me… I wonder if a refund is possible in my case or not?

I had the ultimate and I spent my entire gems and they still gave me a full refund.

No, you will not lose your old gw2 account. You will lose access to HOT.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

First, you can unlock hero points at wvw, it is already known, check the patch notes.

Second most of the Champions at hero points are soloable just learn to play and use the mechanics the game provides you(consumables).
I have ran through plenty of group hero points and I have easily soloed them on my tempest.

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

There was a huge amount of info regarding gating and time sinks in terms of exploring PVE. That in itself, for an expansion at this price, for a game that has never had gated PVE… is just unexcusable. On top of that, nerfing older content to force players into a new grind with no preperation is unacceptable. I appreciate the work, but this expansion was designed for WOW-players with 30+ hours of week of free time. Unfortunately, this is GW2. I asked for refund, PVP is enough for my 1 hour a week now.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

correction – “huge amount of info MISSING…”

I'd like a refund.

Shogun.7401

If I had enough time to grind I would have done it with pleasure. I have a family and it’s impossible for me to play more than 2 hours a day.

I'd like a refund.

Hyouma.4910

First, you can unlock hero points at wvw, it is already known, check the patch notes.

Second most of the Champions at hero points are soloable just learn to play and use the mechanics the game provides you(consumables).
I have ran through plenty of group hero points and I have easily soloed them on my tempest.

I talk about the WvW hero points in my original post. It’s still a huge grind, just a different kind.

Champions are in no way soloable. You can hardly even do them with 1 party. So what will happen when people move away from this content after they finish it and want to play somewhere else? How will solo players get their elite specs? Grinding ranks in WvW I guess, fun eh?

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: tonyajc.2618

tonyajc.2618

I talk about the WvW hero points in my original post. It’s still a huge grind, just a different kind.

Champions are in no way soloable. You can hardly even do them with 1 party. So what will happen when people move away from this content after they finish it and want to play somewhere else? How will solo players get their elite specs? Grinding ranks in WvW I guess, fun eh?

I’m not sure how the Champions are not soloable, small party completion. The Majority of the Hero points I’ve gotten in the Jungle so far have been done with 1-3 people. Just the other day I walked in on one guy soloing a hero point, I joined him, asked him slow down since a guild mate was coming, and we just kitted the guy for a minute for the guildie to come. (Though my minion killed him so we had to do it again anyways)

The majority of these challenges are easy to complete with just one other person.

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt water?!

I'd like a refund.

Hyouma.4910

I’m not sure how the Champions are not soloable, small party completion. The Majority of the Hero points I’ve gotten in the Jungle so far have been done with 1-3 people. Just the other day I walked in on one guy soloing a hero point, I joined him, asked him slow down since a guild mate was coming, and we just kitted the guy for a minute for the guildie to come. (Though my minion killed him so we had to do it again anyways)

The majority of these challenges are easy to complete with just one other person.

Have you gone through the second and third maps? Even on the first map when I tried to do one challenge with 2 other guildies, I immediately went down and two seconds later another guildee went down as well.

This is a big problem for solo players who don’t like to party with others and organize people. You should be able to do them on your own like the previous Tyria challenges.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: tonyajc.2618

tonyajc.2618

Have you gone through the second and third maps? Even on the first map when I tried to do one challenge with 2 other guildies, I immediately went down and two seconds later another guildee went down as well.

This is a big problem for solo players who don’t like to party with others and organize people. You should be able to do them on your own like the previous Tyria challenges.

The only map I haven’t played on, been to is the last one. So I have no input on it. But so far they majority of them (not all of them) are do-able. We might have gone down once or twice but we just had to get used to the mobs mechanic.

Full berserker/assassins gear, not much defense. Maybe the Reapers life pool and stealing health helped? I tend to run blood magic for funzies.

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt water?!

I'd like a refund.

Hyouma.4910

Have you gone through the second and third maps? Even on the first map when I tried to do one challenge with 2 other guildees, I immediately went down and two seconds later another guildee went down as well.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

The hero points are a pain in the kitten . Especially if you are solo. However, you do not need to grind the same events over and over again. If you get bored of an area leave it. I’ve been to all the new maps already and I rotate around them when I am in the mood.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: nunn.7903

nunn.7903

oh for the love of god please just describe how you not doing the same thing over an over again before HOTs?? i can call leveling all my toons a grind and i realy enjoy it. and anet did all right with hots. I bought a wildstar at release, play it for 4 hours and delete it without any complains. good luck with finding better game

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: mugenx.3780

mugenx.3780

As much as I hate to admit it, I regret buying HoT

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Red Mistress Denna.9804

Red Mistress Denna.9804

Hi Hyouma,

I just wanted to mention, on the topic of underpopulated maps; A lot of players are focusing on the Halloween event as it is limited time, and Anet reduced the availability of candycorn and Trick or Treat bags year round by reducing the effectiveness of the Maize Balm.

In regards to the Hero points being too challenging, I completed most of them with 1 or 2 friends. I struggle soloing them because I am a high defense build so I often lack the DPS to drop them in the 5 minute time limit. If you are really struggling this much, it may be worth re-evaluating your build and/or teaming up with a friend or two.

I also just want to ask; do you think challenging content is bad? I had pretty much quit because I was so bored; world bosses are a joke, most of the dungeons are easy stack and flak. The only challenges were trying to solo intended group events / dungeons, or high level fractals. I really don’t mean any offense by this; I am just genuinely curious.

Am I saying it’s perfect? No, Anet should keep evaluating and tweaking it. Maybe reduce the EXP needed for masteries, maybe add Hero Point rewards to some of the challenging events, or the storyline. I would definitely like to see more support for the masteries and elite specs in PvP Reward Tracks.

Of course, if this product is not what you think it should be, it is your right to request a refund, but my suggestion would be to give it time.

Best,
Denna

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt
water?! -tonyajc.2618

I'd like a refund.

Hyouma.4910

Hi Hyouma,

I just wanted to mention, on the topic of underpopulated maps; A lot of players are focusing on the Halloween event as it is limited time, and Anet reduced the availability of candycorn and Trick or Treat bags year round by reducing the effectiveness of the Maize Balm.

In regards to the Hero points being too challenging, I completed most of them with 1 or 2 friends. I struggle soloing them because I am a high defense build so I often lack the DPS to drop them in the 5 minute time limit. If you are really struggling this much, it may be worth re-evaluating your build and/or teaming up with a friend or two.

I also just want to ask; do you think challenging content is bad? I had pretty much quit because I was so bored; world bosses are a joke, most of the dungeons are easy stack and flak. The only challenges were trying to solo intended group events / dungeons, or high level fractals. I really don’t mean any offense by this; I am just genuinely curious.

Am I saying it’s perfect? No, Anet should keep evaluating and tweaking it. Maybe reduce the EXP needed for masteries, maybe add Hero Point rewards to some of the challenging events, or the storyline. I would definitely like to see more support for the masteries and elite specs in PvP Reward Tracks.

Of course, if this product is not what you think it should be, it is your right to request a refund, but my suggestion would be to give it time.

Best,
Denna

I understand that not the whole playerbase has the expansion and halloween is the focus of some of the playerbase. Which makes me worry further, if the maps are this deserted on day 1 and 2 how will you find people to play with a month from now?

I don’t mind Hero Points being challenging at all, I like to be challenged in games. I’m more of a solo player but to get the points I always have to organize people in map chat or guild chat. I can’t just go off on my on to finish the hero points. The game is forcing me to play with others essentially.

I would change my mind about the refund if they completely fixed the mastery system but that’s pretty unlikely. As you said the exp requirement for masteries is too high and getting the Hero Points is a chore.

I can not understand why they screwed the playerbase that did not buy the expansion with the fractal rewards as well. If you don’t grind your fractal line, they’re not even worth doing…

I really hope they do fix all these problems.

(edited by Hyouma.4910)

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: inkpot.6980

inkpot.6980

Bought it. Tried it. Not for me. Refund request raised.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

I absolutely hate the new map and everything about it. The gating is a total fun killer, I can’t even get this Vista until I unlock gliding 2, how stupid is that? It’s an absolute chore, and not even close to enjoyable. This is a terrible expansion that has moved the game into a completely different (wrong) direction. Oh and the NPC for my personal story is bugged so I can’t speak to him.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Famine.3164

Famine.3164

Was the first personal story to grindy for you? It is gated with lvl requirements.. There are alot of people already done with the story. The grind is a lie, you clearly never played an mmo with grind..

I'd like a refund.

Shen Slayer.3058

If you could get your refund, I suggest you should. If they decide to fix this mess later than you can just buy it again. If they don’t, then you just save $50.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Good luck grinding 200 HP per character.

It may be good for WvW rank, but that’s overall bad – 100 WvW level per char.

Sounds niche no?

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I’ve already gone through support attempting a refund. They will tell you that they will disable your account access in general if you do; your entire account is now held behind that $50 paywall.

Disgusting business, really.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

I’ve already gone through support attempting a refund. They will tell you that they will disable your account access in general if you do; your entire account is now held behind that $50 paywall.

That’s so shady.

I'd like a refund.

Shen Slayer.3058

That’s a freaking scam, what kind of business is Anet running. They willing to ruin their reputation for this, I can’t believe they would stoop this low.

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: Kobra X.6903

Kobra X.6903

SHAME… SHAME…. SHAME… SHAME… SHAME… SHAME SHAME.
Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!
Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!
Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!
Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!

I'd like a refund.

Kobra X.6903

I agree with everything the poster said. I LOVED this game.. You ruined it. Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!Shame /ding/ding/ding. Shame /ding/ding/ding. SHAME /ding/ding/ding. Shame!

I'd like a refund.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Actually I think it’s better than ever, so see you guys later.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

I'd like a refund.

Kobra X.6903

K well many more dispise it.