I don't understand this game

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

I was just given this game from my brother, because he was fed up with it. And I am completely lost. I’ve got level 80 characters, and tons of gear. Now what? I try to run thru Verdant Brink, but there doesn’t seem to be any objective? People have said read dulfy’s guides, but everytime I figure out where I need to go, its the wrong time to go there, I can’t play this game 24hrs a day, maybe 2 hours a day. What is the point? I just don’t understand…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Jumping into an MMO at max level and trying to understand it is like trying to learn to read starting with college texts. It doesn’t really work.

This game is particularly hard because it’s different from other games.

Timer sites like gw2timer.com might help but you really should start a character and learn the game.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Why wouldn’t you just start your own character? It’s never a good idea to start a new MMO with everything maxed. You will be terrible at it and not know what the heck to do.

Just make a new character and play it like you would any other MMO.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I suggest you start a brand new character and level up by playing the game, just like you would if you had bought the game and started playing. Jumping into a game at the end means you don’t know what’s going on or what to do or any of the lore of the game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Funny that’s how i got superman 64 to…

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I agree with everyone, make a new character, and make friends as you level up and learn about what the heck is going on.

I also strongly disagree with just going straight to guides on the web. That’s a terrible idea for any game. The people telling you to do that thought you had actually played the game to where you where at.

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

I suggest you start a brand new character and level up by playing the game, just like you would if you had bought the game and started playing. Jumping into a game at the end means you don’t know what’s going on or what to do or any of the lore of the game.

Yes because this game does so well at explaining anything lore wise…

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

and yet you bought the game 3 years ago OP right?

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

and yet you bought the game 3 years ago OP right?

Jesus, what the hell was the point of OP. He’s got 7 pages of posts on the forum. What a waste of a thread.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you pay attention to what the NPCs tell you and take the time to read the small things, like gravestones you’ll get a good part of the lore and what’s currently going on. However if you want to know what happened 250 years ago, you’ll need to look it up.

Sort of like real life, no? Unless you’re able to know what happened in real life hundreds of years ago without any research or reading.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you are not the original owner of the game, i.e. ‘your brother gave you his account’, you are in violation of the ToS/EULA.

I would suggest purchasing the game for yourself and starting from scratch.

Good luck.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This game does great at what it was intended to do. Not serve you everything on a silver platter. You want the lore, it’s out there, go find it.

See, some of us grew up on adventure games where we had to do more than follow a star to get to a wall of text to figure stuff out. In that way, Guild Wars 2 is a bit more old school. It doesn’t give you that bread crumb trail.

That’s one of the reasons I like it.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No offense but if you start any activity at the end you are likely to be lost.

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

Posted by: Winecandy.1530

Winecandy.1530

I was just given this game from my brother, because he was fed up with it.

Read before you answer, he doesnt have 7 pages of post on the forum, he doesnt have the game for 3 year. His brother does because it is his brothers account.

You can better start a new charracter

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Also, ANet don’t like people sharing accounts. Its been in the EULA since GW1.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

But people do it anyway, this should be taken out of the EULA. It’s ridiculous. I don’t share my game but for god’s sake between family members? Where are we, in North Korea?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

ProtoGunner you are right….

Sharing an account between family members should not violate the EULA…

I’m pretty sure ANET handle this as “borderline acceptable”.

For the OP:

Try a new chap and level it from 1 to 80. Or start like 2-3 and level them to 20ish just to find your favourite.
You will learn the game mechanics, the lore, getting some friends, etc…

Your game experience will be much better…

#I no words have"

Just a flesh wound.3589

But people do it anyway, this should be taken out of the EULA. It’s ridiculous. I don’t share my game but for god’s sake between family members? Where are we, in North Korea?

Even family members can get into fights about who did what to a shared account and drag support into the argument. Or husband and wives can divorce or argue, one side locks the other out then support Is supposed to resolve the mess. Or cases of regret, where someone give a family member his account then later changes his mind and contacts support to get it back. All these cost support time and money, which is why they frown on even family members sharing or giving away accounts.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

OP: HoT events are very ‘scheduled’ and it quite simply doesn’t work for a casual gamer who wants to complete everything in their own time and schedule. I would highly recommend playing the vanilla GW2 storyline and lands. Much more open and most of the activities are player initiated. The world bosses are scheduled but their schedule doesn’t impact the rest of the map as much. Or just do PvP.

People Who Think Sharing with Family’s a Big Deal: …really? Plenty more in life to fight about between family members, compared to other things a game doesn’t amount to much.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

- Create new Character and level it.
- Do the Personal Story.
- Participate in a Guild.
- Do some PvP.
- Use an Event Timer.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

Even family members can get into fights about who did what to a shared account and drag support into the argument. Or husband and wives can divorce or argue, one side locks the other out then support Is supposed to resolve the mess. Or cases of regret, where someone give a family member his account then later changes his mind and contacts support to get it back. All these cost support time and money, which is why they frown on even family members sharing or giving away accounts.

I guess that means yes, this is North Korea.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It means we are within the human race and it’s not always love and sunshine here.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

It means we are within the human race and it’s not always love and sunshine here.

I think someone needs a hug

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

you must be fun at parties

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

What he said was a perfectly acceptable and correct statement, without passing any judgment etc. What you said was a rude, personal judging attack. Now I wonder who will be the one having fun with friends at parties, and if you think it’s you, maybe those are not the kind of friends friendly people like to have parties with.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

(edited by Shikigami.4013)

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think someone needs a hug

Gee, Thanks for the smart remark meant to lessen what I was saying, that the reason they have restrictions on account sharing is because people do fight.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I am, thanks for noticing.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Gw2 is very bad at explaining things to a new player.Start a fresh character while doing some research on the internet for the class you want to play.

Posted by: smiling.9028

smiling.9028

It’s simple. Got out and earn points that enable you to earn more points. Then you will be able to do the same events repeatedly for days in order to earn currency that will enable you to buy more items to unlock things that give you more items.

Then run around and do things you hate doing because you earn achievement points that mean absolutley nothing, spend time in PvP to get a little number next to your name which you will think impresses people. Add a couple hundred dollars worth of flashy outfits from the gem store and you’re done.

You can now go stand around in populated areas looking cool while talking to others who think they are cool in map chat!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The best advice on here is to start a new character and begin at the beginning. The game will start to make sense to you and you’ll be able to tell if it’s something you can really enjoy or not.

If you really need a “point” to Verdant Brink, then some of the point of it is to do the events (yes, there are morning and night ones and it does get annoying waiting for the right one to come up), to complete the map items so you get 100% completion in it, to work on your Maguuma masteries, to collect the local map currency and buy things like recipes, etc., and to do the storyline just to name a few reasons for the map.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Just so you know, account trading is a bannable offense.

Simply making this post actually opens you up to a ban.

Making exceptions just because it is your brother doesn’t work from an enforcement perspective. I could easily sell my account for a few hundred dollars and say “but that was my cousin!”

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

You people are silly :P
Why would anet waste their time mediating a dispute between two players who have legitimate access to a game. If they’re not going to take sides in a he said, she said argument. then its pointless to put that into the eula in the first place.

More on topic.

the starting areas don’t seem to be anything at all like the expansion area. I don’t even think the gameplay is the same.
Not sure how that’s going to help me understand. Oh well, it looked cool, maybe my six year old will have fun screwin around with it

Just a flesh wound.3589

You people are silly :P
Why would anet waste their time mediating a dispute between two players who have legitimate access to a game. If they’re not going to take sides in a he said, she said argument. then its pointless to put that into the eula in the first place.

They don’t waste time mediating. They remove access to both sides and lock the account. If one side can’t prove ownership then the account remains locked. If both have the same information, the account remains locked.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

You better cheat/exploit than account share OP ! Anet is watching !
Or they just don’t care.

Start from scratch, try different builds/classes in spvp ( you’re insta 80 there with all the skills unlocked, including elites if you have HoT). There are a lot of videos/streams showing rotations etc… If your brother already have several 80s, he may also have lvl 20/30 scrolls and tomes of knowledge to help you reach 80 faster.

Have fun.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: akuzum.5263

akuzum.5263

the starting areas don’t seem to be anything at all like the expansion area. I don’t even think the gameplay is the same.
Not sure how that’s going to help me understand. Oh well, it looked cool, maybe my six year old will have fun screwin around with it

It’s not about they seem to be anything. It’s about learning the game, it’s mechanics, your story, filling yellow hearts (which I still miss 3 years ago), learning races and their stories, vistas, puzzles, your skills, build choices etc etc. Oh God so much to do. You won’t regret.

Travelling somewhere is more fun than to be there.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

I was just given this game from my brother, because he was fed up with it. And I am completely lost. I’ve got level 80 characters, and tons of gear. Now what? I try to run thru Verdant Brink, but there doesn’t seem to be any objective? People have said read dulfy’s guides, but everytime I figure out where I need to go, its the wrong time to go there, I can’t play this game 24hrs a day, maybe 2 hours a day. What is the point? I just don’t understand…

Indeed, it is like you have said. Gw2 does not have any particular objective and the objective is determined by the players themselves.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

I think you should roll a new character, don’t delete the current ones, then play some classes for a bit till you find the one that “clicks” and then get it to level 35-45 when you’ve pretty much fleshed out two of your favorite trait lines and gotten the gist of what each does, then augment with possible existing tomes of knowledge in your bank to get to the core story line chapters (every 10th level, so 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc.) and then play the storylines so you know what is going on.

Augment that with running a couple dungeons on story/exploration mode and get your first “free” exotic set then choose to hit the HoT content at 80. You’ll be experienced enough to know whats going on at that point.