I love GW2, but dislike HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Yrch.5491

Yrch.5491

I enjoy GW2. I think the base game (before HoT) is a lot of fun. As a casual player, I can’t stand HoT. It is too difficult. I am in a pretty good guild that when I need someone they will generally come help and I have joined HoT map trains once or twice, but most of my play time is solo, where I like to log in and run around and do stuff by myself.

It probably hasn’t helped that I am a squishy ele, but HoT is really tough to log in for some casual game play. I find the maps hard and confusing, different events shut down parts of the map that one minute ago were open, but now are blocked. I frequently die to mobs that in my opinion hit way too hard. It’s just not fun.

I know there are plenty of you out there that love HoT and have no problems with it, but I do and it makes me not want to play.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

ouch, I would say ele is one of the harder classes because it difficult to break defiance bars.

Posted by: The Colon of Jack.2158

The Colon of Jack.2158

I agree. I became tired of wiping every 10 minutes in the new areas. Haven’t played since shortly after HoT was released. Even the story is near impossible to solo. I recently reinstalled it to give it another go, but I’m still hesitant.

loseridoit.2756

I agree. I became tired of wiping every 10 minutes in the new areas. Haven’t played since shortly after HoT was released. Even the story is near impossible to solo. I recently reinstalled it to give it another go, but I’m still hesitant.

Hots difficulty is very class dependent. Dragonhunter is probably the easiest.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

ouch, I would say ele is one of the harder classes because it difficult to break defiance bars.

Only one staff. With any other combination there are more CC.

Posted by: Avatar Exico.1806

I agree this is main reason why I just throw down Gw2 now and just quit the game all together, even have nice loving family guild that call it as second family. The game has gotten to be so revolve around the Mastery System that isn’t much fun anymore, like me I have trouble pushing forward without see improvement of my progression and time gated and stuff that is to prevent me from getting rest of mastery’s to make game any fun it next to nothing at this point. Game gotten so time gated on everything and require you have this or that mastery but require this mastery or that. It has gotten so irritated that isn’t much fun anymore. Also getting mastery’s through achievements is also huge let down cause I don’t mind doing achievements but being forced to get those mastery’s is even more annoying.

All in all game isn’t fun anymore to my eyes as it was of being able to login do whatever if it was Fractals or farm not worry about doing achievements or getting mastery’s to have fun because I suck at jumping and doing puzzles of those sort and getting achievements. If they ever added item like Hero points if it through WvW or what that grant you mastery point from like Tryia or one from Maguuma. Than probably would be motivated to play again.

But at this point have 0 interest to ever play Gw2 ever again now because of how game is.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I agree as well. The HOT maps are too much of a chore. It’s okay to have a map like that every once in a while, it’s not okay when it dominates the end-game. Which, thankfully, it really doesn’t anymore. But I think it’s a mistake that they made all four new maps work that way in HOT. It would have been better to have four or five “normal” maps and one or two HOT style maps. This would also have been better from a sustainability perspective. Now, too many map metas are competing each other, leaving too many of them underplayed. I’m still trying to get my Mistward Helm because I stopped bothering trying to beat the Chak gerent event as it’s largely abandoned.

The open world is generally not the place to try to have a lot of real challenge or complicated navigation. For the most part, challenging content should be separated out into dungeons and raids, because they facilitate the organization needed to properly deal with challenging content. The open world is too disorganized and zergy. Again, it’s okay to do occasional maps that are done in HoT style, but it should be the exception and not the norm. I’m hoping they will have learned this lesson for the next expansion.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I enjoy GW2. I think the base game (before HoT) is a lot of fun. As a casual player, I can’t stand HoT. It is too difficult. I am in a pretty good guild that when I need someone they will generally come help and I have joined HoT map trains once or twice, but most of my play time is solo, where I like to log in and run around and do stuff by myself.

It probably hasn’t helped that I am a squishy ele, but HoT is really tough to log in for some casual game play. I find the maps hard and confusing, different events shut down parts of the map that one minute ago were open, but now are blocked. I frequently die to mobs that in my opinion hit way too hard. It’s just not fun.

I know there are plenty of you out there that love HoT and have no problems with it, but I do and it makes me not want to play.

Although I truly enjoy HoT, I do find it challenging. Like you, I tend to do a lot of solo play in open world. I’ve found that being “squishy” isn’t inherent to the class so much as the preferred builds for group play, which aren’t necessarily the best choice for solo players like us.

If you’re using all or mostly offensive stats, try moving toward a more defensive setup. Marauder, berserker/soldier, or even celestial are all good options, although there are plenty of other stat combinations elementalist can make use of.

Next, take a look at your traits. The elite tempest specialization is a real game changer. Overloads allow you to deal impressive damage to large areas, even if you use a close-range weapon set like dagger/x. In addition, they can function as a highly effective counter to the frequent stuns you’ll encounter in HoT. And they grant access to many useful boons.

If you want even more survivability, pair tempest a defensive trait line. My current build runs dagger/dagger, celestial gear, with tempest/air/earth and can take on just about anything HoT throws at me.

Feel free to message me in game if you want to talk builds or run around the jungle and try things out some time.

AliamRationem.5172

I agree as well. The HOT maps are too much of a chore. It’s okay to have a map like that every once in a while, it’s not okay when it dominates the end-game. Which, thankfully, it really doesn’t anymore. But I think it’s a mistake that they made all four new maps work that way in HOT. It would have been better to have four or five “normal” maps and one or two HOT style maps. This would also have been better from a sustainability perspective. Now, too many map metas are competing each other, leaving too many of them underplayed. I’m still trying to get my Mistward Helm because I stopped bothering trying to beat the Chak gerent event as it’s largely abandoned.

The open world is generally not the place to try to have a lot of real challenge or complicated navigation. For the most part, challenging content should be separated out into dungeons and raids, because they facilitate the organization needed to properly deal with challenging content. The open world is too disorganized and zergy. Again, it’s okay to do occasional maps that are done in HoT style, but it should be the exception and not the norm. I’m hoping they will have learned this lesson for the next expansion.

Honestly, it seems to be working fine. I didn’t like it at first because I felt you shouldn’t have to play the LFG game to find an organized map. But I don’t see how else you can have organized meta events without them being on a timer and players using LFG to organize. You see the same thing with world bosses in core Tyria. Why is this any different?

Chak gerent is getting completed every day at all hours. I often do it first thing in the morning before work. I did one last night that went so well we knocked out the chak gerent on Nuhoch lane before it even made it to the last burrowing phase!

If it’s time for the meta and you’re finding yourself on maps that give you the “Volunteer to change maps?” dialogue, it’s because other players are abandoning your map for a map that is organizing via LFG.

Note that the chak gerent spawns every 2 hours on the half hour mark. Check LFG around 15 minutes before the meta begins and you should start to see groups listed there.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

“It’s just not fun” sums up exactly how I feel about those 4 HoT maps. I don’t think Anet realised just how many players run around casually and “mostly solo”. Anyhow, the good news is that the maps after HoT, the ones in living story 3, are much more friendly to us casuals, with space to breathe and explore and enjoy without being constantly wiped out by a house plant or knocked down by a short guy dressed as a mushroom.
The bad news is that to get there and to get the most out of the maps you do need to acquire a few masteries like gliding and updrafts.

The new maps have some great scenery and time and space to look at it. And Bloodstone Fen has so many updrafts that you can just glide around forever without needing to train or consult a Dulfy guide. Imagine that – actually being able to play the game without a guide! (/sarcasm)

When Anet finally kill off the Auric Basin multiloot thing I’ll have no reason at all to go to any of those 4 awful HoT maps. I sometimes wonder if those maps were sponsored by the unofficial websites that you need to use just to play the meta. What on earth were they thinking when they designed them???

Einlanzer.1627

Honestly, it seems to be working fine. I didn’t like it at first because I felt you shouldn’t have to play the LFG game to find an organized map. But I don’t see how else you can have organized meta events without them being on a timer and players using LFG to organize. You see the same thing with world bosses in core Tyria. Why is this any different?

Chak gerent is getting completed every day at all hours. I often do it first thing in the morning before work. I did one last night that went so well we knocked out the chak gerent on Nuhoch lane before it even made it to the last burrowing phase!

If it’s time for the meta and you’re finding yourself on maps that give you the “Volunteer to change maps?” dialogue, it’s because other players are abandoning your map for a map that is organizing via LFG.

Note that the chak gerent spawns every 2 hours on the half hour mark. Check LFG around 15 minutes before the meta begins and you should start to see groups listed there.

I don’t agree that it’s working fine. Events fail way more often than they succeed on most of those maps, and it’s not something you as a player have much control over. Either there are plenty of people and a good commander around, and the event is steamrolled, or there aren’t and it fails immediately.

I’ll repeat what I said above – it’s okay to have some complex metas with hordes of difficult mobs on maps occasionally, but it shouldn’t be the norm. Most maps should be casual friendly.

AliamRationem.5172

“It’s just not fun” sums up exactly how I feel about those 4 HoT maps. I don’t think Anet realised just how many players run around casually and “mostly solo”. Anyhow, the good news is that the maps after HoT, the ones in living story 3, are much more friendly to us casuals, with space to breathe and explore and enjoy without being constantly wiped out by a house plant or knocked down by a short guy dressed as a mushroom.
The bad news is that to get there and to get the most out of the maps you do need to acquire a few masteries like gliding and updrafts.

The new maps have some great scenery and time and space to look at it. And Bloodstone Fen has so many updrafts that you can just glide around forever without needing to train or consult a Dulfy guide. Imagine that – actually being able to play the game without a guide! (/sarcasm)

When Anet finally kill off the Auric Basin multiloot thing I’ll have no reason at all to go to any of those 4 awful HoT maps. I sometimes wonder if those maps were sponsored by the unofficial websites that you need to use just to play the meta. What on earth were they thinking when they designed them???

To each their own. I find core Tyria bland and boring. HoT is where I like to be. Like you, I’m the sort of player that plays mostly solo. I enjoy the exploration challenge these maps present and the enemy density/difficulty is more my speed. I get nothing out of fighting one enemy at a time. I’d rather be taking on an army of chak or mordrem or battling some champion.

AliamRationem.5172

I don’t agree that it’s working fine. Events fail way more often than they succeed on most of those maps, and it’s not something you as a player have much control over. Either there are plenty of people and a good commander around, and the event is steamrolled, or there aren’t and it fails immediately.

I’ll repeat what I said above – it’s okay to have some complex metas with hordes of difficult mobs on maps occasionally, but it shouldn’t be the norm. Most maps should be casual friendly.

I disagree. We already have core Tyria and now we have 3 out of 7 HoT maps that are like this. It’s time for more of the original style HoT maps, in my opinion.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

My staff ele can manage just fine on most things, it just takes longer than most of my other toons to kill things.

The annoying things are the numerous gates and not being able to access large parts of the maps at various times.

They don’t appeal as anywhere I’d actually go back to.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

AliamRationem.5172

My staff ele can manage just fine on most things, it just takes longer than most of my other toons to kill things.

The annoying things are the numerous gates and not being able to access large parts of the maps at various times.

That’s odd, since DS is the only HoT map that features large areas that are inaccessible outside of the meta. AB has a few small areas that are part of events and are blocked by vine walls. TD and VB have no such restrictions.

Are we playing the same game?

Posted by: Yrch.5491

Yrch.5491

I appreciate the feedback and advice. There are many things I do enjoy about GW2, the community is definitely one of the best in MMO’s.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That’s odd, since DS is the only HoT map that features large areas that are inaccessible outside of the meta. AB has a few small areas that are part of events and are blocked by vine walls. TD and VB have no such restrictions.

Are we playing the same game?

AB only has one single POI you need an event for. The other two POIs locked behind events you can glide to at any time, though not many realize it.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

In the old world, LFG is really only required for the wurm and certain achievements. The problem is, most people simply want to show up and play, but that’s currently only possible with AB. It’s why WoW’s LFR was the only thing to crack raiding, because you can simply queue in and do your thing. When people say to use LFG, that’s a major red flag for most people who have yet to buy it.

LFG is only needed because HoT is dead, but using it is also worsening the problem because it’s killing off the other instances. HoT was simply too challenging for most and a lot of players stopped showing up because the metas would always fail. As people stop showing up however, even more stopped because the maps were dying out. What was left was people expecting to see a hint of organization (commanders), otherwise they wouldn’t even try. Full maps are also desired because overpopulating will greatly reduce the difficulty. One full map is however enough for at least 2 maps, 4 if the players were any decent or even more considering the other partial maps, meaning everyone could potentially participate.

There are many potential ways for ArenaNet to improve the situation…

People think the map is dead because there’s no commanders. People don’t know how many, or even if there’s anyone out there. What if player activity was highlighted on the map and events showed nearby numbers? Showing the minimum/current scale would also help, since people zerg stuff, then think that’s how it was meant to be done.

Normal open world maps are bad for high pop events. People are simply too spread out and doing their own thing, so they can’t guarantee if there’s 1 or 100 people willing to participate. They only made it worse when they started designing for the zerg, where instead of only needing 1 group, you now need 4. What if these events played out more like an activity, or simply put, organization was automated? Take Dragon’s Stand for example and make it something you queue in to. Instead of the various lanes, those would be the set teams.

Metas simply shouldn’t fail. They removed the cost of repairing because death was already a punishment. In this case, wasting my time is already bad enough, so “failing” should be as simple as taking twice as long. Why should I get rewarded for AFKing in a full map, yet get nothing for putting in far more effort, but ultimately failing due to numbers? If numbers are going to be the primary factor, overflow the maps or link them together (think phasing, with everyone actually on the same map). Either everyone wins, or no one does.

ArenaNet has always wanted to have a higher difficulty however, where core was originally more deadly than HoT. They seem to want to use numbers as a workaround, as in zerging or grouping for solo content, but that’s not sustainable. You could say join a guild, but the average MMO player just wants to jump in and play, so they play solo. That was one of the core designs of GW2 after all, solo players coming together for events. Without offering some way to trivialize older content, such as nerfing everything or vertical progression, more and more players are going to quit. Some people do find even Orr too challenging. I’ve even seen mythic WoW raiders that have ragequit GW2.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In the old world, LFG is really only required for the wurm and certain achievements. The problem is, most people simply want to show up and play, but that’s currently only possible with AB. It’s why WoW’s LFR was the only thing to crack raiding, because you can simply queue in and do your thing. When people say to use LFG, that’s a major red flag for most people who have yet to buy it.

LFG is only needed because HoT is dead, but using it is also worsening the problem because it’s killing off the other instances. HoT was simply too challenging for most and a lot of players stopped showing up because the metas would always fail. As people stop showing up however, even more stopped because the maps were dying out. What was left was people expecting to see a hint of organization (commanders), otherwise they wouldn’t even try. Full maps are also desired because overpopulating will greatly reduce the difficulty. One full map is however enough for at least 2 maps, 4 if the players were any decent or even more considering the other partial maps, meaning everyone could potentially participate.

There are many potential ways for ArenaNet to improve the situation…

People think the map is dead because there’s no commanders. People don’t know how many, or even if there’s anyone out there. What if player activity was highlighted on the map and events showed nearby numbers? Showing the minimum/current scale would also help, since people zerg stuff, then think that’s how it was meant to be done.

Normal open world maps are bad for high pop events. People are simply too spread out and doing their own thing, so they can’t guarantee if there’s 1 or 100 people willing to participate. They only made it worse when they started designing for the zerg, where instead of only needing 1 group, you now need 4. What if these events played out more like an activity, or simply put, organization was automated? Take Dragon’s Stand for example and make it something you queue in to. Instead of the various lanes, those would be the set teams.

Metas simply shouldn’t fail. They removed the cost of repairing because death was already a punishment. In this case, wasting my time is already bad enough, so “failing” should be as simple as taking twice as long. Why should I get rewarded for AFKing in a full map, yet get nothing for putting in far more effort, but ultimately failing due to numbers? If numbers are going to be the primary factor, overflow the maps or link them together (think phasing, with everyone actually on the same map). Either everyone wins, or no one does.

ArenaNet has always wanted to have a higher difficulty however, where core was originally more deadly than HoT. They seem to want to use numbers as a workaround, as in zerging or grouping for solo content, but that’s not sustainable. You could say join a guild, but the average MMO player just wants to jump in and play, so they play solo. That was one of the core designs of GW2 after all, solo players coming together for events. Without offering some way to trivialize older content, such as nerfing everything or vertical progression, more and more players are going to quit. Some people do find even Orr too challenging. I’ve even seen mythic WoW raiders that have ragequit GW2.

I just show up and play in VB. The problem is people are only focused on meta. VB is a great zone, meta or no meta.

In Orr, I can’t solo temples, but I can still show up and play.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Quite honestly, I put off buying the HoT expansion for months because of what I read and saw about the zones. And it was all spot on- I hate these zones and only begrudgingly spend time in them to get Hero and Mastery Points and some of the gear. I broke down and purchased the expac because I wanted the elite skills, and I am so glad I was able to get it on sale, because the zones did nothing to enhance the game for me. I can’t stand when a game uses the environment against the players, and all the HoT zones are, are mazes. I spend as little time as I have to in such zones. I can’t wait to move on to zones more like the core Tyria zones.

AliamRationem.5172

Quite honestly, I put off buying the HoT expansion for months because of what I read and saw about the zones. And it was all spot on- I hate these zones and only begrudgingly spend time in them to get Hero and Mastery Points and some of the gear. I broke down and purchased the expac because I wanted the elite skills, and I am so glad I was able to get it on sale, because the zones did nothing to enhance the game for me. I can’t stand when a game uses the environment against the players, and all the HoT zones are, are mazes. I spend as little time as I have to in such zones. I can’t wait to move on to zones more like the core Tyria zones.

Well, you got your wish. All 3 of the newest HoT maps related to LS3 are relatively easy to navigate and have metas that require little organization beyond simply showing up. One more and you’ll have an even spread.

@Healix, I also wish things were more accessible. However, as this thread makes clear there are vastly different tastes in this game. How do you reconcile players like myself who love the vertical, maze-like maps, higher enemy difficulty/density, and organized meta events with players who prefer Queensdale? It’s a tall order!

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

the game did a poor job at properly scaling tyria to hot map lul

loseridoit.2756

More CC does not need faster break bar. I can do mesmer sheild 5 and it takes away 2/3 of the breakbar with one skill with aoe to boot. Ele cc are single target and take away much less in comparison.

I am lazy and I just use whatever posted in that sticky ele thread

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

More CC does not need faster break bar. I can do mesmer sheild 5 and it takes away 2/3 of the breakbar with one skill with aoe to boot. Ele cc are single target and take away much less in comparison.

Offhand dagger, warhorn and Comet from focus all hit multiple targets. That aside it is very rare that you would need to hit breakbars on multiple targets at the same time.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I like HoT but dislike core.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Well, you got your wish. All 3 of the newest HoT maps related to LS3 are relatively easy to navigate and have metas that require little organization beyond simply showing up. One more and you’ll have an even spread.

@Healix, I also wish things were more accessible. However, as this thread makes clear there are vastly different tastes in this game. How do you reconcile players like myself who love the vertical, maze-like maps, higher enemy difficulty/density, and organized meta events with players who prefer Queensdale? It’s a tall order!

It’s a pity that the new LS3 maps don’t do anything to help you earn your elite spec. If you want that, you still need to trudge through HoT.

As for your second point? You make separate areas for them, and make sure that the path to the “casual” stuff doesn’t require passing through the other stuff. The more difficult areas should always be optional. Rewarding, maybe, but optional.

That doesn’t always mean seperate maps, either. Let’s consider a JP set in a mine, with a 10 HP point set at the end. There are two paths to the end. One is fairly short and straight forward, a couple of jumps and maybe one normal fight, and you’re there. The other path is longer, much more complex, and has multiple difficult fights. But it also has a couple of chests, and maybe a rich Ori node along the way. It’s more difficult to set up than a normal JP, but it allows for both styles of play.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

I am actually having more fun with LS3 than I did (am) with HoT. I’ve never been a huge fan of tons of level (height) changes. The water level from Zelda: Ocarina of Time comes to mind, even though most of that game was elevation changes. I feel like I spend more time trying to get to a certain elevation more than actually playing the game. I have been going into the jungle more, recently, to get MPs, trying to fill those out, or to get the 10pt HPs for elite specs for alts. Hopefully the next expansion brings more content like the core game and LSs.

loseridoit.2756

Offhand dagger, warhorn and Comet from focus all hit multiple targets. That aside it is very rare that you would need to hit breakbars on multiple targets at the same time.

I tried that on chak vet, I realize I need to chain all those skills up together to break 1 bar.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Veteran_Chak_Lobber

Posted by: Calaglin.8591

Calaglin.8591

I love HOT new maps as well.
In my opinion the problem of GW2’s PvE is only the appropriate number of players could have good experience in WvW/Metas.
Solo player can’t enjoy it and zerg makes everything steamrolled.
In addition,the game add more maps players become more dispersed.
Mega server/LFG system can’t really solve it.

I have an idea.
Add PvE queue panel for Open World Metas like PvP.
And Metas have different difficulty level for solo/team/raid to join.
Maybe heros(Taimi Kasmeer Marjory…) can join with solo level.

(edited by Calaglin.8591)

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

I had a similar experience as a casual player mostly on my ele. I even quite the game for quite a while after HOT. Since returning, though I have quite enjoyed it. it does take getting used to the new zones and it is very helpful to either run with a friend or be well geared.

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

I like HoT-design maps. At least anytime you come there something is happening, and it leads to some other thing happening, and at the end to a great climax. Core Tiria gameplay is just like “running around, chopping timber … Oh, an event, that tells nothing interesting and gives nothing valuable. Move alone”. And 3 new maps are even worse. They are basicly farm maps. Events are repetative as hell (we should guard this kodan bonfire! And 8 more! Oh noes, one is extinguished! Light it up and guard again!). Everyone is running like crazy and tries to farm as much berries as he can. Player cooperation and friendliness are about zero. One person is downed by vets that are guarding berries – naaah, not my problem, better gather those berries.
I really hope new addon maps will not like Bitterfrost / Ember / Bloodstone. HoT ones are just so much better in every way. They really have that MMO feel of lots of players contributing and working together, while 3 new maps have a feel of a botnet farming magic/berries. And for the casual players just put down more repeatable hearts, they love it.

(edited by Ider.1276)

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

HoT maps are annoying and the minimap system is very poor for navigating them.

I much prefer Bitterfrost to any of the HoT maps. Auric Basin was the only HoT map I even liked.

AliamRationem.5172

HoT maps are annoying and the minimap system is very poor for navigating them.

I much prefer Bitterfrost to any of the HoT maps. Auric Basin was the only HoT map I even liked.

I’m with the poster before you. There are things I enjoy about the LS3 maps. For instance, bloodstone fen and the glider combat are just plain cool. But the event structure is as boring as core Tyria and as much as I love the rewards (ascended pieces with HoT stats!), it feels like the only point to the maps is to complete the storyline and farm. They lack the personality of the original HoT maps.

I do agree that the map system is inadequate for maps like VB and TD. Often you can follow a clearly marked road on the map only to find that the objective you were hoping to reach isn’t located on that path at all. There are indicators for above and below on the objectives themselves, but the map gives no indication of how to reach them.

However, this was clearly intended as an exploration challenge. If you know VB, you know that most of these objectives are located in the canopy and require you to use updrafts to reach them. In TD, most of the hero/mastery points are located off the marked pathways and the routes to them are not clear or intuitive. Again, that is by design. They wanted you to explore these maps without a big arrow pointing you at every objective.

Of course, some players absolutely hate that design. But there are plenty of players who consider TD to be the best map design in the game. I’m one of them. And while I wouldn’t want to see every map follow this design, I think it’s a shame that players were so resistant to it that we ended up with maps like Bitterfrost Frontier and Ember Bay, which aside from the mob density are really just core Tyria 2.0. We have an entire world full of maps like that. I’d like to see more of the original HoT style myself.

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

I only log on now for about 2 days when the new LS part is out, after I am done I go back to the games that replaced this one.

Think I may give their next expansion a miss and wait til it is on sale before I consider putting money down on it.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

HoT is indeed a pain in the behind, until you have maxed certain masteries. Then it’s a lot of fun.

I think the devs have learnt from that mistake and are approaching new content differently now. So, hang on there, go through the pain of getting those masteries (as we all did), then never look back.

Posted by: Veadozi.5237

Veadozi.5237

You know maybe mess around with a different class if ELE is too hard. I know that may be out of the question. But HoT from my experience has been absolutely amazing!!! Maybe play around with different builds play styles bindings etc. Just my opinion though!

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

HoT’s difficulty is perfect, I hope they don’t go backwards with the next expansion.
I played since launch and now I find core Tyria really kitten boring, the AI and overall mechanics are laughable easy.

BTW I played solo all the HoT maps, made it a very good challenge.

Stella Truth Seeker

(edited by XxsdgxX.8109)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Of course, some players absolutely hate that design. But there are plenty of players who consider TD to be the best map design in the game. I’m one of them.

I’m also one of those who think TD is the best map in the entire game. We need more maps like TD in the future, but not only maps like TD of course.

HoT’s difficulty is perfect, I hope they don’t go backwards with the next expansion.

Unfortunately they are going backwards already with the LS3 maps, especially Ember Bay which is a joke.

Einlanzer.1627

I played since launch and now I find core Tyria really kitten boring, the AI and overall mechanics are laughable easy.

What class do you play, out of curiosity?

AliamRationem.5172

What class do you play, out of curiosity?

I wouldn’t say I solo’d “all” of the HoT maps. That’s obviously laughable for the final boss events and the entirety of Dragon’s Stand. But most of the other content including most of the champion hero point challenges can be done solo. And although I haven’t confirmed it, I expect that’s true of any class with the right build (I’ve only done it with elementalist, thief, and necromancer so far).

Even if your personal skill level and/or familiarity with the class aren’t up to that level of challenge, these maps are far from “dead” and finding help on any particular challenge is usually as simple as asking in map chat.

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

As a necro main, I took the new challenge as a pat on the head from Anet. They told me, “There there now little necro, I know that since launch, the others hated you in dungeons because you weren’t good at standing in one place and exploding might for others, ignoring the fact that you’re a solid and self-sustainable profession. We’ll make those glassy jerks eat their words.”