I'm not buying HoT to play BWE

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

Just got an email from Anet asking me to prepurchase HoT to play BWE.

Sorry, but no. I’m not prepurchasing it to even take part in something that you will even get more profit (beta testing)

This doesn’t mean I won’t buy HoT, but seriously, I won’t pay to play a buggy weekend where I will probably loose my progress, I can wait

(inb4noonecaresbutme)

Posted by: Grenthblood.1358

Grenthblood.1358

Beta tests are about finding those bugs which you talked about, and reporting them to the devs so that they can be fixed before release.

Very few people actually play a beta thinking it’s a representation of the final product. At least for me, I expect a buggy, unfinished product when I go into a beta. That’s how I can help ensure that the game is smooth and polished at release.

Granted… Not everything will get caught, but it helps. Bugs will exist no matter how much you test something, because in a limited time span, it’s impossible to test and retest every aspect of everything until a bug shows up and the cause is found.

Beta tests also help with balance. It was feedback from the previous revenant stress test that pushed the tipping point for weapon swap, and boosting numbers across the board.

Whether people should have to pay to do a beta is another discussion altogether, but I’m just addressing the point you made about lost progress and bugs

EDIT: Case and point is the WoW Wrath of the Lich King beta I did all those years ago. It was a soggy mess. I ended up putting in over 500 bug reports in the time I spent playing it though, and 90% of those I saw get fixed before release. The other 10% were minor things that did eventually end up getting fixed shortly after release.

(edited by Grenthblood.1358)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So don’t prepurchase. I don’t see a problem with that.

blackoil.2673

So don’t prepurchase. I don’t see a problem with that.

Yup, that’s what I said. But I just couldn’t reply the automatic email, so there’s that
First I looked over if someone also said something like I did to not double-post (as a nice user that i am, I really don’t want to hurt this game, although there are some things that I disagree with them :/)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

/shrug

Ok. I’m sure ANet needed to hear from you directly and it is well worth making a thread about.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

/shrug

Ok. I’m sure ANet needed to hear from you directly and it is well worth making a thread about.

They sometimes listen so when enough people will mention this then they might do beta for everyone next time, it’s stupid that people are ready to pay for beta access, I don’t even play games at launch because I might lose all my progress due to a bug.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

/shrug

They sometimes listen so when enough people will mention this then they might do beta for everyone next time, it’s stupid that people are ready to pay for beta access, I don’t even play games at launch because I might lose all my progress due to a bug.

Maybe I need to make a start a thread then saying,

Silly ANet. Lol. I’ve already prepurchased and plan to play each beta event and enjoy myself. I’ll report any bugs I find to help make the expansion better and comment in threads on what I like and dislike.

Even if I play a buggy weekend where I will probably lose my progress, I can’t wait to for it to start.

(inb4noonecaresbutme)

/shrug. Just as useful a thread as this one.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Why post anything?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure I follow the logic. If you plan (have no doubts) on purchasing anyway, what difference does it make? Why turn your nose up at free bonuses? Or is your planned purchase so far away, it will be after some kind of cost discount…like after a year or so?

If that is your plan, then carry on, and thanks for sharing. =)

Good luck.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

That’s fine. A beta test isn’t suppose to be for just playing and thinking of progress. You are suppose to test ideas, builds, abilities, and BREAK THINGS. This is the time where if you find a cheat, see how you can exploit it, then report it so Anet can fix it.

Not only that, if an ability feels weak, an ability doesnt fit, or a profession is missing something, then writing about it in a constructive and concise manner can help make a game better overall.

So again, for other people, if you are planning on walking into the beta to just play, think about the above.

blackoil.2673

I’m not sure I follow the logic. If you plan (have no doubts) on purchasing anyway, what difference does it make? Why turn your nose up at free bonuses? Or is your planned purchase so far away, it will be after some kind of cost discount…like after a year or so?

Maybe I don’t have 50$ to spend on games now? I rather spend them in food…
Also, I think you don’t care anyway, but I’m in a big loan, so that 50$ is about 90$ if you think about the interests I’m paying in the long term, so if I use them to redeem instead of wasting in games I’d save 40$.

If it were cheaper, or at least if it included something usefull for veterans, I’d really pre-purchase it. But beta access? No ty, I can wait. Another char slot? that’s worth ~6$ when they’re on sale (In my case I was as smart as getting that extra slot in the last sale). I’m looking for something at least with 2/3 value as the GW2 core game (that was 40$ before HoT)

So again, for other people, if you are planning on walking into the beta to just play, think about the above.

Yup, that’s why I’m complaining. I’m complaining that you’re not paying an early access so you can play before other players, but you are paying to help them develop the game with that beta event.
In my company we hire people to run QA. This guys just sell it as a bonus for the pre-purchase. I don’t really feel like paying to work for them, sorry.

(edited by blackoil.2673)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Well . . . it’s not like they’ve introduced loot that will allow you to beta test their game for bugs. Rare loot that pretty much required you to farm for it. How silly would that be?

Oh . . . wait.

Gone to Reddit.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Again, if your plan was to wait for a discount, then good for you. (You might have inadvertently left that part out when you quoted.)

See you, eventually, in the Heart of Maguuma. =)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Maybe I don’t have 50$ to spend on games now? I rather spend them in food…
Also, I think you don’t care anyway, but I’m in a big loan, so that 50$ is about 90$ if you think about the interests I’m paying in the long term, so if I use them to redeem instead of wasting in games I’d save 40$.

If it were cheaper, or at least if it included something usefull for veterans, I’d really pre-purchase it. But beta access? No ty, I can wait. Another char slot? that’s worth ~6$ when they’re on sale (In my case I was as smart as getting that extra slot in the last sale). I’m looking for something at least with 2/3 value as the GW2 core game (that was 40$ before HoT)

Yup, that’s why I’m complaining. I’m complaining that you’re not paying an early access so you can play before other players, but you are paying to help them develop the game with that beta event.
In my company we hire people to run QA. This guys just sell it as a bonus for the pre-purchase. I don’t really feel like paying to work for them, sorry.

Yes, you’re helping them develop the game. You’re getting an opportunity to bring stuff up and have your voice count….which is nice for some of it.

Since many of us are buying the game either way, and for many people $50 isn’t that much money, there’s no reason for some of us not to buy. If your financial situation is different, obviously you should wait.

Posted by: Malchior.1928

Malchior.1928

Without a doubt this upcoming beta was the final straw that got me to pre-purchase xD

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

I still haven’t pre-purchased. This is the first time in all the GW games that I didn’t buy pre-order/purchase on day 1. I refuse to put my money down until I have a clear understanding of what I’m getting and what will be added to the base game at HoT launch.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

cool story, what do you want of us, the “Free Spirit 2015” award?

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

The mail wasn’t to ask you do do that, but to INFORM that you CAN do that.

For god’s sake, you subscribed to that newsletter. A NEWSletter is supposed to deliver NEWS.

If you don’t want that kind of emails then just unsubscribe.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

useless thread…. beta has always been beta… its a time to voice your opinions to the developers about aspects of the game in question and help them discover issues with the game. if you dont want to add your voice to them, then dont. but dont cry to us or them when they do something you dont like in game that you had an opportunity to impact…. but chose not to.

Posted by: Lynce.9560

Lynce.9560

The issue i see here, and this is my opinion, is about preordering HOT to be able to do these beta weekends. If Anet really wants the feedback to find and fix bugs and other stuff, they shouldn’t limit it this way. Giving those that preordered a 4 day weekend and those that didn’t a 2 day weekend would have been a better option. There are many players on the fence about this expansion, the opportunity to try the beta, seeing how thing progress, feeling ingame what they can’t feel from blog posts could also help with sales. It’s a big miss, in my opinion.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

/shrug

Maybe I need to make a start a thread then saying,

Silly ANet. Lol. I’ve already prepurchased and plan to play each beta event and enjoy myself. I’ll report any bugs I find to help make the expansion better and comment in threads on what I like and dislike.

Even if I play a buggy weekend where I will probably lose my progress, I can’t wait to for it to start.

(inb4noonecaresbutme)

/shrug. Just as useful a thread as this one.

wait…what?? I only got an email 2 hours ago and it was that I could play the BWE.
Did they kick me off some kind of mailling again?? Oo

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Just a flesh wound was being sardonic by twisting the OP 180 degrees, Mercury. No worries, there’s no such email.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Sorry, but no. I’m not prepurchasing it to even take part in something that you will even get more profit (beta testing)

This doesn’t mean I won’t buy HoT, but seriously, I won’t pay to play a buggy weekend where I will probably loose my progress, I can wait

(inb4noonecaresbutme)

And ofc you simply must create topic about that.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

see, this is the difference between those that have already pre purchased and those that didnt. those that did buy early, know this is a beta, understand that it isnt an entitlement program from the government. most(not all (inb4politicalcorrectness…)) of those that didnt, see it only as GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME, if i dont get, then I dont do. Which for a final product, is all what its about, but this is not a final product, its a BETA.

you dont want to participate fine… you made that clear by not prepurchasing… you dont need to whine about it on the forums like this. we are all (as is ANET) aware already you dont want to participate. making a scene about it here does nothing but show the greed and envy you possess.

blackoil.2673

From my part, please stop the drama.

As I said, I have nothing against Anet or those who pre-purchased, as I wanted to buy it but couldn’t afford it / was too expensive for what I get. In this thread I was just saying that the ability to participate in a Beta testing event should not be “sold” as a reason to pre-purchase.

Now I got an account upgrade and a second GW2 core account from a retailer for just ~4 more bucks (payed in euros). This is the point where it became “worth” for me, and so I bought

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Really? Two keys for 4 dollars/euros more? Cool. Welcome aboard.

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

I just wish Anet would call my boss and get me out of work early today….

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

The idea of Beta Weekend Event is awesome, not only because players can test products before release, but also because companies (ArenaNet) get positive and negative feedback from their consumers.

The idea of paid Beta Weekend Event is not awesome at all, because paying just to be able to test products before release, not knowing if you are going to like it or not, is not good marketing. Also, paying to have the honor of providing positive and negative feedback to developers, is not good marketing; this is the job of game testers and they are paid for testing and constructive feedback.

Beta Weekend Events should address to all GW2 players for the following reasons:
1. positive impression from developers to create a good product;
2. more and more feedback for developers and ideas for future patches;
3. motivation to all players to buy the game because they are listened;
4. <no release date> statement gets sustained by listening the voice of players to get all things right.

(edited by Acrisor.8097)