Pre-Purchase Community Address

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I don’t feel misled, i payed for the Physical C.E at launch and have gotten my moneys worth.

Having a tapeworm also doesn’t hurt.

What one has to do with the other?

GW2 pre-purchase affair apart: you may not feel misled, but the facts will state otherwise.

Which facts?

Please read again what I wrote (mainly, the “apart from the case of GW2HoT pre-purchase affair”). You’ll find your facts there.

That made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

Frankly, only people with more money than brains pre-purchase anything. I have never done that…not for software, not for hardware (reserve your iPhone bullkitten is ridiculous). Essentially you are getting, except for the Gems and the slot, some Barbie-dressup stuff to pretty up your cartoon.

Really? Now, if they gave me something useful (infinite upgrade extractor, for instance, or an awesome ascended weapon of my choice) then maybe.

I’ll wait until the dust settles…until I read about the new maps and the “verticality” of it (I hate jumping puzzles, so not really a draw for me). I will wait until I see that the patches have slowed down and the cycle goes back to some semblance of order.

Wow nice, so I don’t have any brains? Thanks. Some people with money and brains choose to support the game company that ISN’T charging a monthly subscription!

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Pre-purchase HoT, and after you get a refund for your original game, you can use that money to buy a char slot.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Oh OP, you are just totally out of your mind.

Posted by: kinder.9574

kinder.9574

Hello.

I was playing this till day 1.
But seems like business model “pay once play forever” is not actual anymore.
so, the question to support, how do i refund?

Thanks

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

It cost money to keep this game running. It played on servers, that cost money. you pay a one time fee, and still playing. Sometimes some player donate to them and earn gems, other do not, and now a new expansion is out, which took, who knows how long to makle, employee, and all that, and they set a price. Fair enough, 50$ is a lot, but dont buy it then if you feel the price is unfair. You can still contune to plkay everything else you have normally.

Yes, but if they need money so badly, then presumably they would like the fifty dollars that I am willing to pay them for HoT at the time of release, yes? And all they have to do to get my fifty dollars is make sure a character slot is included at the time of release.

That’s it. Just one simple character slot and I’m happy. That’s all it would take.

Doesn’t seem to me like they really want my money too badly, then.

Edit to add:
I do understand that they want to give people incentives to pre-purchase, and I don’t have a problem with giving people who pre-purchase some extras. The problem for me occurs when what is being given as an exclusive “extra” is something that I regard as a basic requirement for purchase.

For me, a character slot is a required feature in any expansion that features a new profession. I will not purchase it without one, especially at the fifty dollar price point.

I mean, go ahead and heap mini-pets, weapon skins, costumes, toys and whatnots on all who pre-purchase. I don’t mind them getting all that stuff that I won’t. But to deny launch purchasers a character slot?

Just really bad form.

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Hello.

I was playing this till day 1.
But seems like business model “pay once play forever” is not actual anymore.
so, the question to support, how do i refund?

Thanks

If you have been playing for more than 30 days you won’t get a refund.

If you bought the game less than 30 days ago, click on the Support link at the top of the page and submit a ticket.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: neonis.3974

neonis.3974

You pay for the core game and you can play “forever”. No one is forcing you to spend any more money to play. Expansions are not created out of a vacuum, it cost tons of money and man-power to create. Anet doesn’t run a charity where millionaires around the world send money to help the poor, down and out gaming community.

If you want a refund, then why waste your time posting here and call customer support.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

It cost money to keep this game running. It played on servers, that cost money. you pay a one time fee, and still playing. Sometimes some player donate to them and earn gems, other do not, and now a new expansion is out, which took, who knows how long to makle, employee, and all that, and they set a price. Fair enough, 50$ is a lot, but dont buy it then if you feel the price is unfair. You can still contune to plkay everything else you have normally.

Yes, but if they need money so badly, then presumably they would like the fifty dollars that I am willing to pay them for HoT at the time of release, yes? And all they have to do to get my fifty dollars is make sure a character slot is included at the time of release.

That’s it. Just one simple character slot and I’m happy. That’s all it would take.

Edit to add:
I do understand that they want to give people incentives to pre-purchase, and I don’t have a problem with giving people who pre-purchase some extras. The problem for me occurs when what is being given as an exclusive “extra” is something that I regard as a basic requirement for purchase.

For me, a character slot is a required feature in any expansion that features a new profession. I will not purchase it without one, especially at the fifty dollar price point.

I mean, go ahead and heap mini-pets, weapon skins, costumes, toys and whatnots on all who pre-purchase. I don’t mind them getting all that stuff that I won’t. But to deny launch purchasers a character slot?

Just really bad form.

Maybe you missed it, but vertern players who made the game before janyry 23rd 2015 do get a slot for the 50$ one if you pre order now.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Edit to add:

Just really bad form.

Maybe you missed it, but vertern players who made the game before January 23rd 2015 do get a slot for the 50$ one if you pre order now.

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

yeah, i think the customer needs a little more representation. will come back later with some awesome sauce debates for you.

Fair is fair #triggerfingermustpay

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The answer is because the free character slot is not a loyalty bonus for veterans. It’s a way for ArenaNet to ensure they’re not losing money from that playerbase.

This is all loyalty bonuses in all industries.

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I just hate how anti-consumer this prepurchase deal is. buy the game early without any proof that it’s going to be well made/well balanced.

Don’t get me wrong, i look forward to heart of thorns and will purchase it, but publishers are not looking our for the consumers when they force preorder/prepurchase deals.

Posted by: BackDraft.4291

BackDraft.4291

I purchases Ultimate edition within 4 mins of the announcement. I would of bought a collectors edition to for 150.00 bucks easy

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Frankly, only people with more money than brains pre-purchase anything. I have never done that…not for software, not for hardware (reserve your iPhone bullkitten is ridiculous). Essentially you are getting, except for the Gems and the slot, some Barbie-dressup stuff to pretty up your cartoon.

People pre order games, and systems, so they have it at the earliest possible moment. This doesn’t mean we’re stupid, it means we can afford kitten and want kitten now. These are not always good purchases (See god of war 3, final fantasy 13-1, etc) however it is the cost of being a gamer that likes things now. If you want to be more frugal with your money and wait until others have played things that is up to you, but we all don’t want to be the second guy through the game – we want to be the first. ;P

The problem is that by pre-ordering, you take away incentive for companies to make good, complete, optimised games. Instead we get lousy stuff like Assassin’s Creed: Unity and other bug-ridden titles, not to mention Early Access and how it’s used as an excuse to sell betas at full price and then abandon them.

Face it. That game was going to be terrible whether you could preorder it not. They try to release a new addition every year so the games always feel rushed.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

Look ArenaNet, I get that you’re in damage control mode and it was a very tactical move. Yet, you’ve still not done the right thing and made the character slot available for any preexisting account. Instead, you do the wrong thing and make it a prepurchase bonus. That’s not a veteran reward and I’m not prepurchasing because of this.

I really hope you guys can learn to listen before making some decisions. Your history says otherwise.

Anet runs a business not a charity.

At no point am I asking for something for free, without merit or reason.

A veteran reward should be dispensed to veterans regardless of preorder or prepurchase. It’s a thinly veiled PR tactic that wasn’t considered until they got chewed out for yet again another stupid decision. And even then, they still cannot give the community exactly what they are asking for.

I’m not participating in this early acccess, prepurchase, give-us-money-ahead-of-time culture that’s taking gaming by storm. This is exactly why.

Posted by: BackDraft.4291

BackDraft.4291

XD XD Always one or two not happy even after getting what is right.

Game was already a great deal, so go ahead and complain. am getting 2 char slots when only planned on getting one cause of all this complaining. More perks that add is fine by me will just be smiling bigger!

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Nobody is forcing you to pre-purchase but if you want the bonuses that come with it, don’t complain later when you don’t get them.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

So I have to prepurchase to get my veteran reward?

Seriously? Why can’t you just make it for old accounts when they purchase it.

Why is that so hard?

Loyal… veteran players get rewarded. That’s the whole argument earlier.. that “loyal” players are not getting rewarded… if people are “loyal” which many are, they will start pre purchasing, which many did, because they are “loyal” to the game, it wouldnt matter if they throw down money now… or later.. so they would do it now to get minor incentives.

You seem to have a different problem with Anet, not the player slot. You want something else right?

I want ArenaNet to truly honor their long term players by giving us something small like a character slot when we purchase the game. I don’t want to be herded into pre-purchasing something that’s being sold as a reward for being loyal. It’s an attempt at damage control and subtle pushes to do something rather than an actual attempt to please long term players.

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

Base game is 10$ (being offered as a free bonus for prepurchase)
Character slot is 10$ (being offered as a free bonus for prepurchase)

I don’t see how they got it wrong.

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

Oh, we get what you’re saying. We’re just not sure what part of it is “misleading”. They are telling us exactly what’s up: loyalty slot with preorders only. We understand that. Just as we understand your own point. The question is, you said Arenanet is misleading us: so tell us where.

It’s right there on community address:

“Veteran Player Appreciation

For our long-standing fans and loyal players, we would like to say thank you and show our appreciation. "

This is misleading because it’s not appreciation of veteran players. Veteran players do NOT get the additional character slot if they buy HoT after it comes out.

Like I said in my original post, it’s Anet’s way of disguising a protection of their income (i.e. payments from the veteran playerbase) as appreciation of veterans. It is misleading.

Ricky.4706

if a person is buying a bundle, by definition a bundle means more than 1 product, so that means more than one key, anything else is not a bundle.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Oh, we get what you’re saying. We’re just not sure what part of it is “misleading”. They are telling us exactly what’s up: loyalty slot with preorders only. We understand that. Just as we understand your own point. The question is, you said Arenanet is misleading us: so tell us where.

It’s right there on community address:

“Veteran Player Appreciation

For our long-standing fans and loyal players, we would like to say thank you and show our appreciation. "

This is misleading because it’s not appreciation of veteran players. Veteran players do NOT get the additional character slot if they buy HoT after it comes out.

Like I said in my original post, it’s Anet’s way of disguising a protection of their income (i.e. payments from the veteran playerbase) as appreciation of veterans. It is misleading.

Totally, this is their way of shutting up the players, sell more copies and keep a good face while still dodging the main problems. The more they lie and try to clear this off the more I will refuse to buy this.

They don’t care about vets, they care about profit. Personally I don’t give a flying kick about a free char slot. That can easily be obtained with game gold, people seem to forget this fact and yet still praise them.

Its pathetic how they took the word of some people about a free slot and slapped that as an “apology”. If they’re not going to lower the price then they could give 800 gems so everyone spends them how they wish.

I wont be buying this expansion because i dont want to pay double compared to some new player and secondly i dont want to repeat the same story when a 2nd exp rolls out. Got other games to play and more honest devs to give my money to.

And to think for over 9 years I very much loved and respected Anet for their work. Took them a couple of days to completely turn it into pure hatred.

Posted by: MomentofWeakness.1246

MomentofWeakness.1246

Well first off, they don’t have the plethora of legendary weapons, ascended gear, and other rare items (dyes, food, etc) that I do. Sure new players get the base game free but they’ve already missed out on 3 years of experiences which is easily worth the $60.00 I paid for this game back when I bought it in 2012, not to mention they have to start from scratch! (level 1 GG).

Also, I was planning on buying gems when HoT came out anyways lol and i’ll equate

Additional Character Slot TIMES 2!
Miniature Revenant Rytlock
Revenant Finisher
Mordremoth’s Bane Guild Hall Decoration
Heart of Thorns Glider Skin

to $20.00 so I’m quite happy about the purchase

Thats a function of time an effort, not money spent. Any new player can invest the time needed to do that, and frankly the only real advantage existing players have is NOT having to power level from scratch just to reach HOT content.

This bothers me a bit because the influx of new players won’t be able to enjoy the new content for least a month (roughly how much time it takes to understand enough of the game to move around with purpose), of which none of the Vet players will be around to help them learn the game faster.

There was a reason the old GW games had their core story lines accessible at a relatively early stage of the game…. it was intent on having the imported and new characters (new classes) mingle quickly, so the content can be enjoyed as a group.

What would had helped greatly at several levels of user experience was to produce a starter Zone for HOT, and interlink the existing Story element of the Civilian support (as seen in Silvewastes) as recruitment tool to jump new players into HOT right away. With the current time line, all plot holes could had been avoided by not using Destiny’s Edge as the main characters, and instead using Destiny’s Call (place holder name for Braham’s crew) since they have no attachment to the first personal story.

In the real world, time is money… Does time played have no value to you? I value my time and I have played 6000 hours of Guild Wars 2 since 2012. Sure as you say a new player could put an equivalent amount of time in, but they’d still be at least 6000 hours behind me when the eventually start playing. Also, they aren’t just set behind by levels, they won’t have as many achievements, gear, gold and other currencies, titles, world exploration, legendary weapons, pvp ranks, wvw ranks, etc. that anyone already owning the game will have. It’s a multifaceted advantage for anyone like myself who’s been playing this game for awhile. I’d say over a three year period that the base-game has delivered and I don’t regret spending the 60 dollars this game cost me in 2012. I also am happy to buy the Ultimate Edition of the HoT expansion because to me its money well spent and I will get my moneys worth over time just like I did with the base-game.

Its Choo – 250,000 Kills in WvW and Counting…
WvW Commander – NA PST
Sexiest Level 80 Charr Guardian In The Game

Posted by: Tkosh.1923

Tkosh.1923

Looks like backwards marketing to me. The usual practice is always charge for the base (cheaper as time goes on) but NEVER charge 99$ for an EXP!! what a ripoff! I used the 99$ example because that’s what you have to pay for one, that’s right one character slot.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Since they caved on the char slot, I’d like that ultimate char slot exchanged for 800 gems please, thank you. I assure you that I will use those gems in the cash shop for things I really want like skins or inventory upgrades instead.

I do not want TWO slots, I bought ultimate under the belief that it was a savings since basic did not get a char slot and now it does. So what the heck.

Maybe some you are alt holics and excited for this but I am not; I could of bought basic then 10 bucks more in gems. :\

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: NikolasRobichaud.4237

NikolasRobichaud.4237

for a game that doesn’t cost a thing to play per month some of you guys are complaining allot. I will agree the phrasing of how they said it at first was a little misleading but that’s business…however Anet did address it and you get the char slot, yes it’s only pre-purchase but at the same time they do need funds apart from the gem store to develop the game to decent standards…a one time charge of 50$ is hardly unreasonable heck it’s 40$ if you pre-purchase since that char slot is 10$

Ricky.4706

i dunno, i don’t think anyone should have to just shut up and pay..thats pretty harsh don’t you think ? that is how i often feel when i come here…just shut up and take whatever. You would think we’d be the ones getting paid for this lol

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

ANet gives the patron consumers what they’re asking for and all the sudden it’s a conspiracy that ANet, a business, expects to generate more sales by making this offer?

Did the OP not know that capitalism was a thing?

Ricky.4706

technically consumers aka “Patron consumers” are investors though. We invest, and expect a return.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Yep, have come to the same conclusion.

downed state is bad for PVP

Bryzy.2719

ANet gives the patron consumers what they’re asking for and all the sudden it’s a conspiracy that ANet, a business, expects to generate more sales by making this offer?

Did the OP not know that capitalism was a thing?

Did you not know that actually reading the OP was a thing?

I’m not bashing ArenaNet for marketing their game to make money. They’re an organisation designed to make profit and have every right to do so.

I’m bashing them for the way in which they have gone about this. As I stated in the OP, which I realise you have not read, they have disguised their efforts to entice veterans to still pre-purchase the game (i.e. protecting their profits) as “veteran loyalty appreciation”.

Why do they have to be so disingenuous about it? Why not just say: “this is our revised offer.” No BS about “veteran loyalty”. Veterans do not get the free character slot if they don’t pre-purchase. Therefore, it is not a loyalty reward – if it was, then veterans would get the free slot whether they pre-purchased or not.

(edited by Bryzy.2719)

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Well it may come as a surprise to most of you, but I never doubted Anet would come through and do the right thing. I even may have said so once or twice. lol

Thanks for post, Anet!

You know, Vayne, you should thank US.

If you had what you wanted, everyone would have been quiet and avoided any complaint. Meanwhile, we worked hard to make our point to ArenaNet and let them know how their course of action wasn’t ideal.

As a result, thanks to our work, you will get one more character slot, while all you did was stand on the way.

I think you should name your character “Test Was Right”. Just so you remember who you should be thankful for it.

Mo Mo.1947

I read your OP. You seem to think that treating customers well is somehow wrong if paired with bringing in more profit.

Why do you think it’s wrong that they want veteran players to pre-purchase the game? You’re right it’s just a revised offer, but the purpose of the revised offer is to maintain “veteran loyalty”. a.k.a. keep the customers they have so they will keep spending money on the game.

What you seem to be doing is calling out a business for wanting more customers and not wanting to lose the customers it has. If they make a bad marketing choice and change it to a wise marketing choice I don’t understand how that’s disingenuous.

What is wrong with wanting to get veterans to want to purchase the expansion?

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Well it may come as a surprise to most of you, but I never doubted Anet would come through and do the right thing. I even may have said so once or twice. lol

Thanks for post, Anet!

You know, Vayne, you should thank US.

If you had what you wanted, everyone would have been quiet and avoided any complaint. Meanwhile, we worked hard to make our point to ArenaNet and let them know how their course of action wasn’t ideal.

As a result, thanks to our work, you will get one more character slot, while all you did was stand on the way.

I think you should name your character “Test Was Right”. Just so you remember who you should be thankful for it.

Lol. No doubt that the community is 100% to blame for the ‘free’ character slot here. But conceited much?

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Benie.9312

Benie.9312

This is coming from a new player. I got the game in that specified timeframe. Yet something bugged me. Why that specific time? And why are they not giving veterans this refund thing instead of new players?

They have made this game what it is. If it wasn’t for them, the game simply wouldn’t exist in its popularity. So why are new players getting the red carpet, and veterans treated like kitten? I feel like not giving into this, and even thinking of boycotting… though I doubt it’ll do any good.

Also… why are they even doing this? I’ve never seen a video game company willing to fully refund what you paid for the game to get you to buy the expansion. How are they making a profit, if they’re only getting $10 “back” if you pay for the $50 Standard edition of HoT?

Chars on ’Yak’s Bend’;
Beniee – Ranger – Level 80
Deathclaw Ragefist – Necromancer – Level 80

(edited by Benie.9312)

Ricky.4706

the funny thing, is that many businesses become very big by word of mouth, shouldn’t the better question be, why isn’t everyone telling their friends anymore ?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They went with the solution that gave as little as possible to players and kept as much money for themselves as they could. Not too surprising.

Bryzy.2719

I read your OP. You seem to think that treating customers well is somehow wrong if paired with bringing in more profit.

Why do you think it’s wrong that they want veteran players to pre-purchase the game? You’re right it’s just a revised offer, but the purpose of the revised offer is to maintain “veteran loyalty”. a.k.a. keep the customers they have so they will keep spending money on the game.

What you seem to be doing is calling out a business for wanting more customers and not wanting to lose the customers it has. If they make a bad marketing choice and change it to a wise marketing choice I don’t understand how that’s disingenuous.

What is wrong with wanting to get veterans to want to purchase the expansion?

Nothing is wrong with wanting to get veterans to want to purchase this expansion.

I’ll repeat myself.

What is wrong is disguising this effort as a reward for “veteran loyalty”.

No pre-purchase = no character slot. This is not “veteran loyalty” = disingenuous.

If ArenaNet had just said “this is the revised offer: vets get free slot with pre-purchase”, and not added the misleading, disingenuous BS about “veteran loyalty” then I wouldn’t have made this thread.

Do you understand now?

Edit: just to try and make it as simple as possible for you to understand:

Anet marketing to push pre-purchase = FINE, it’s their right

Anet pretending this marketing is a reward for “veteran loyalty” = NOT FINE. It’s lying.

If Anet had done what they’ve done without saying “as appreciation for your loyalty” = this would have been FINE.

(edited by Bryzy.2719)

Posted by: milumilu.1759

milumilu.1759

So did Anet do a “New Coke” campaign? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

or they really conceded “victory” to veterans?

waku waku?

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

The timeframe is after the announcement of the expansion.

The FAQ back then said specifically that you will need the base game to be able to play the expansion. They wanted to clarify this so people don’t mix it up with the earlier standalone campaigns in Guild Wars 1 or things like that.
So people thought that they should buy the game now in their sales, because they will need it for the expansion.
But since the expansion comes with the core game included they never needed it. And that’s why they are getting a refund in that timeframe.

Veterans (purchase before this date) get a character slot worth the exact same like the core game on sale that new players are getting the refund for.
Now everyone pays 50$ for the expansion and gets a bonus equivalent to 10$.

So in the end everyone gets the same value for their money.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Mo Mo.1947

If ArenaNet had just said “this is the revised offer: vets get free slot with pre-purchase”, and not added the misleading, disingenuous BS about “veteran loyalty” then I wouldn’t have made this thread.

Even without saying the words “veteran loyalty”, veteran loyalty is implied by your suggestion of them saying “this is the revised offer: vets get free slot with pre-purchase”.

A reward for vets is a reward for veterans who remain loyal to the game by prepurchasing.

I think you’re just caught up on the wording. They made this new offer in response to large outcry from veterans about not getting a reward for their loyalty.

By bringing up “veteran loyalty” in their community address they’re saying, hey yeah you’re right we’re gonna give you something for being loyal customers and sticking with the game for so long.

Just coming out and saying, “oh yeah, so we revised the offer and current accounts can get an extra slot” could just as easily come across as a quick shushing of the complainers. “Here take your character slot and move on, thanks.”

Any kind of statement they make could be interpreted a few different ways. Both good and bad.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

So did Anet do a “New Coke” campaign? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

or they really conceded “victory” to veterans?

More like..

Use of stimulants in formula
An early Coca Cola advertisement.

When launched, Coca-Cola’s two key ingredients were cocaine and caffeine. The cocaine was derived from the coca leaf and the caffeine from kola nut, leading to the name Coca-Cola (the “K” in Kola was replaced with a “C” for marketing purposes).6465

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Looks like backwards marketing to me. The usual practice is always charge for the base (cheaper as time goes on) but NEVER charge 99$ for an EXP!! what a ripoff! I used the 99$ example because that’s what you have to pay for one, that’s right one character slot.

No, you can pay $75 and get one no matter if you are a veteran or a new player.

Veterans of the game (registered the game before Jan 23, 2015) get a free character slot if they pre-purchase any version of HoT. Including standard edition.

Bryzy.2719

Even without saying the words “veteran loyalty”, veteran loyalty is implied by your suggestion of them saying “this is the revised offer: vets get free slot with pre-purchase”.

A reward for vets is a reward for veterans who remain loyal to the game by prepurchasing.

I think you’re just caught up on the wording. They made this new offer in response to large outcry from veterans about not getting a reward for their loyalty.

By bringing up “veteran loyalty” in their community address they’re saying, hey yeah you’re right we’re gonna give you something for being loyal customers and sticking with the game for so long.

Just coming out and saying, “oh yeah, so we revised the offer and current accounts can get an extra slot” could just as easily come across as a quick shushing of the complainers. “Here take your character slot and move on, thanks.”

Any kind of statement they make could be interpreted a few different ways. Both good and bad.

So in that case they’re only rewarding those who pass their new loyalty-test, which is the pre-purchasing of HoT? All the loyalty (gem purchases over 3 years etc) counts for nothing unless veterans pre-purchase now? What if some vets aren’t in a financial position to pre-purchase, but have remained loyal to the game through continued play and gem-store purchases over the last 3 years? Should they not be entitled to the free character slot too?

Loyalty is, by nature, past-tense. It is what you have previously done to remain loyal to the company. Therefore, a reward for loyalty, which is what ArenaNet have claimed they are offering, should by definition be a reward for those 3 years’ worth of loyalty, and not by a new test in the form of a pre-purchase.

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

As someone who’s played since beta, I wouldn’t expect a refund for my base game. If I remember right, that’d mean Anet would be paying me money to play Heart of Thorns. The refunds are only a feature being provided for the players that bought GW2 so they could play Heart of Thorns, amends being made for unintentional false advertisement. I would have liked to have an extra GW2 account, sure the extra daily rewards would be nice, but by providing a character slot it’s basically the same as the GW1 Factions and Nightfall purchasing scheme.

Reparations have been made and now I’m just trying to figure out what to do with my 10th and 11th character slots I didn’t need.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

technically consumers aka “Patron consumers” are investors though. We invest, and expect a return.

With a Valuable and a Worth product including ALL information availble to us.

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Posted by: Benie.9312

Benie.9312

I would had imagined veterans to be kittened they got the short end of the stick, while new players got a refund. I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. Though I already assumed you would require the base game to play the expansion. Most expansions are already like this.

Chars on ’Yak’s Bend’;
Beniee – Ranger – Level 80
Deathclaw Ragefist – Necromancer – Level 80

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I think the nr comes from 49$bas 50$ expansion…..

And mate you can wait untill next expansion to get 2 for the price of 1 so base exp nr1 and nr2 for total of 99 bucks….

Since ofcourse playtime dont make your value go down at all.

Thats why you can sell a car back to the store after 8 years for the same you bought it for.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I might be swayed by a package that is simple the Expansion, for a reduced price ofc, with a free char slot, consdiering a brand new class.

If they actually split the expansion from the core game, it would still be $49.99 because the core game by itself has no value. What they were selling a prior to HoT wasn’t just the core game, it was the core game + $20 worth of bonuses. Since they were selling it for only $10, that means that the core game by itself legitimately has no value. It’s too cheap to sell, so they repackage it instead.