I need help picking a main

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: JohnReaper.4058

JohnReaper.4058

I was gone from the game for almost a year and have been back now for about 2 weeks and i can not make my mind up on what profession to main at this time . I don’t have the expansion yet but hope to be getting it very soon. I want to pick a main profession to main right now and focus on getting it raid ready. I like so many of the professions and with me also not having the expansion yet it is making it hard to chose just one to gear. I will in the future gear other professions but for now i need helping picking one that will be needed and wanted in most if not all raid compositions that way i am not wasting my time an mates on gear and such. Like i stated before i like just about every profession. Any input into this will help me a lot. Thank you to everyone that post here with helpful advise on this problem i am having !

Posted by: Klaugh.7415

Klaugh.7415

What’s your most geared character now?

JohnReaper.4058

well the only celestial gear i have is the amulet and rings and those can be put on anyone so they are all geared the same i guess

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Here’s something to throw in the mix. We’ve only had one BWE for the raid instance. They will be released live on the 17th AFAIK. We don’t know what has been changed or the optimal group composition needed to effectively complete the instance. I would recommend holding off until we see what the Meta turns out to be or what your guild or group requires.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

JohnReaper.4058

well i need to be getting one ready is why i am asking now

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

can’t go wrong with mesmer, chronomancer is pretty OP

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Just follow your name….

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

What playstyle do you prefer?
Melee, ranged, tanky, glass, mobility, piano, evasive, condi, critical, etc?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Fennecus.7605

Fennecus.7605

I personally find the Ranger pretty easy if you like that, but there are a lot of rangers out there.
I think same goes for the Elementalist

If you are a better player I’d go Mesmer, I am trying to get help with mine since it is tougher and I’m not understanding it well yet. There’s not as many of them and they provide good support and everyone loves to see a Mesmer

Glad to be a part of the greatest community…Gw2

Posted by: CruSheR.3297

CruSheR.3297

The name is John Reaper.. You shall go for a Reaper Necro..
Don’t let your dreams be dreams.. Just do it :P

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If you have to ask then elementalist. They have great access to crowd control, combo fields, healing, defense, and something is always off cooldown due to having four attunements. A weakness with it however is charged attacks, so air staff 1’s ricochet lightning might not hit the mob since things die very fast.

Ranger is good for solo roaming too, pet takes aggro while you just stand back and shoot. It’s not a fun class but I’m leveling one up for PvP druid. But since champion genius is a really cool title I’ll work on leveling engineer after my short term goals are settled. I’m torn between human and asura engineer. I really like the asura male’s necro shouts (especially, “Your soul is mine!”) but already have a light armor asura. Then again I have a medium Asura too (female) so balancing armor type with race distribution is hard. Male human thief is already leather, male asura elementalist is already cloth. I have a charr and norn (both heavy) so maybe I’d make a norn engineer or whatever in the end.

Posted by: blazinfury.8504

blazinfury.8504

Go mesmer. Once you get the hang of all the mechanics you can fill most roles that a group needs. You can do massive dps, aoe heals and cleanse, give boons and inflict conditions. Solo is also fun since you’re never really alone, you have 3 clones/phantasm to aid with agro and dps. If you ever get bored you can port people to the ends of JPs or MPs and an all around cool person.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Sorry to go off-topic, but my mouse was hovering over the i in main, and I read: “I need help picking a man”. I thought to myself, now I’ve seen everything…XD

When I clicked on the thread I was like: “OH! Ohhhhhh! Haaha”

Anyway, again sorry for being off topic, but I’m really hungover today at work and thought I’d share my confusion with you all.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

The OP wants to build a toon for raids. The problem with that is that no-one really knows what builds will work best in raids just yet.. Suggest picking your best current toon and beefing it up a bit. Oh, and get earning some gold so you can speed up any new toon when you know what you need.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

As others have said, we don’t really have a good grasp yet on what raids will need. In the beta, we saw that ranger/druids and condi engis were very useful. We know from playing elite specs that mesmer/chronomancer and necro/reaper are really good and fun to play for PvE.

Without knowing anything about your playstyle, my suggestion to you is simply to focus on making your time-gated ascended armor bits. Make damask and elonian leather every day, make spiritwood, and deldrimor steel. Get a good chunk of empyreal stars, bloodstone bricks, and dragonite ingots made. Then, when you decide what class to gear, you’ll have your materials waiting.

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

I also read, if I remember correctly, in Collins statement for the 2016 vision, they will be changing stats/specs quarterly to prevent Metas from occurring.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

I also read, if I remember correctly, in Collins statement for the 2016 vision, they will be changing stats/specs quarterly to prevent Metas from occurring.

l000l yeah right.

Posted by: Jephiroth.3197

Jephiroth.3197

I’m guessing that you can’t go wrong with Ele or Mesmer. They can both be built for any occasion and the support they offer to the team is excellent. Celestial Druid could be an option also, Lots of utility and great healing potential.

Traumahawk: WvW Shout/Seed Sinister Druid
Ashen Mistwalker: WvW Tank/Crit Revenant
Oaken Earthlore: WvW Medi/Bunker Guardian

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

It sounds like what you reall want is to be popular for raid teams. I’d try leveling an Ele or Mesmer, then. Both classes have great damage and support, though they’re both also very squishy.

I’d suggest you make sure you’re good with your dodging if you pick them.

Revenants will also likely be popular for raid groups. They offer significant DPS and boons to their teams.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

That’s a good point. I’ve just ordered bulk popcorn for the first quarterly forum reaction.