IGN: Mastery system

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nabbis.8095

Nabbis.8095

WvW Blobs aren’t Blobs they are just large group of oozes blobbing along each other.
Leader of the Iron Hall [Iron]
Server: Desolation now and forever.

Posted by: Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

looks neat, my question now is are we actually getting a mastery related blogpost today or did IGN jump the gun?

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I gonna love this ability, everytime someone jumps wrong I’ll be there to laugh at them xD

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Nabbis.8095

Seems like IGN jumped the gun. didn’t find any other of the major sites doing a article yet.

WvW Blobs aren’t Blobs they are just large group of oozes blobbing along each other.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

And nothing about revenant..

Attachments:

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Wonder if the Itzl are the Mursaat lookalikes or something totally different.

Great vid tho!

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Now, don’t complain in what order we get our info.
I’m happy we’re getting info!

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I see IGN went with a very click-bait sounding title. It seems that they’re a little bit early on the reveal too. As for the video, I see that dinosaurs are seeing a full return (the angorodon-like creatures and what I believe to be Tyranni chasing down packs of raptors) which is really welcome. I loved facing the dinosaurs—well, except when they used twisting jaws and the one boss ele certadon had the crazy overpowered Sliver Armor.

Scoobaniec.9561

Now, don’t complain in what order we get our info.
I’m happy we’re getting info!

Pfffffff

Attachments:

Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

Seems like IGN jumped the gun. didn’t find any other of the major sites doing a article yet.

Well kitten. At least we have some decent details. Really liking the idea that they took inspiration from the zelda and metroid series. also MUSHROOM HOPPING. I swaer I am going to have the gummi bear theme song playing in my head every time I bounce on them XD

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

My hype meter is through the roof.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

IGN, good job. Please jump the gun more.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

It’s possible IGN actually had a first look and didn’t jump the gun, but that’s some interesting information there.

The vertical space shown there looks like these maps are going to be huge. Maybe not covering large portions of the map, but they definitely look quite large.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Here is US (I think) link

They do say “we’ve got an exclusive first look for you at the varied biomes of the Maguuma Jungle right here”, so I don’t think they jumped the gun. I think Anet may have given them the “rights”(?) to the first preview.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

its also possible that we might indeed have an article today seeing as how it is roughly only 11:15am at Anet HQ. they tend to do updates around noon pst I think.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Im guessing Anet gave IGN an exclusive, which isn’t uncommon in the least. Part of getting audiences excited is getting media excited first.

I have really high hopes for the mastery system, even before reading this. The potential for growth and synergy with the living world could mean some really exciting things. It is the piece of this expansion I look forward to the most.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Wonder if the Itzl are the Mursaat lookalikes or something totally different.

Great vid tho!

their name have a mesoamerican theme, so my bet is they’re the frogs, much like the hylek and the heket before them.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

Shrooms weird running and faling little things are my favorities. I am glad also to see dino friends back in such numbers.

First I was looking at pictures
http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/02/03/biome-rootsjpg-294abc_960w.jpg
I almost felt that I am back in Evocholand Forest. Root part of maguma jungle have great vibre.

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

their name have a mesoamerican theme, so my bet is they’re the frogs, much like the hylek and the heket before them.

Or a feathered lizard type of race like Quezalcoatl.

New playable race in the next expansion? (See how I jumped the gun on that? )

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

The interview mentioned Fractals! They’re actually acknowledging that dungeons still exist. There is a shimmer of hope

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

BrunoBRS.5178

Shrooms weird running and faling little things are my favorities. I am glad also to see dino friends back in such numbers.

First I was looking at pictures
http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/02/03/biome-rootsjpg-294abc_960w.jpg
I almost felt that I am back in Evocholand Forest. Root part of maguma jungle have great vibre.

*echovald. echo-vald :P

Posted by: Syione.3046

Syione.3046

Thank God it’s not one big jumping puzzle! There are actual walkways.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Think the Itzal are going to be a tengu tribe.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Randulf.7614

Tengu already exist – it specifies they are a new race

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Several things in the article were described as being exclusive/first for IGN. So that’s why they have an article published and other gaming sites do not.

Even though IGN’s video player sucks, you should play the video after the 3rd paragraph. I don’t think the music in that video could possibly get any more generic, but that’s not exactly a bad thing.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Because IGN hasn’t been fuzzy on details in the past

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Randulf.7614

Because IGN hasn’t been fuzzy on details in the past

Touche

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

adds Mastery design lead Crystin Cox.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

“That we’ve really done is try to make a system that works a little bit more like what we’ve seen in console games like Metroid or Zelda where the progression systems feel a little more natural, feel a little more integrated with the environment and content and allow you to interact with the world around you,”

That’s actually a really cool take on an MMO. Instead of gear grind, it’s unlocking abilities and exploration gear to let you progress. Not bad. Could be interesting.

“Though you’ll find lots of the Mastery content in Maguuma, it’ll expand outwards so you’ll be seeing it in existing portions of the world, too. You’ll even be able to use some of them in the Fractals dungeons. "

A point that’s come up before but bears repeating. Cool that’ll work in fractals, wonder if that implies a new fractal and/or update to the existing ones.

(edited by yanipheonu.5798)

Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

Soooo whats your beef with Crystin Cox? What systems did she work on previously?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Soooo whats your beef with Crystin Cox? What systems did she work on previously?

The beef is how she used to work on monetization efforts for Nexon. There’s this belief everything she touches is Ruined Forever because of that. And the belief her existence anywhere near this game is proof Nexon, not NCsoft, is calling the shots.

Though if NCsoft was calling the shots, this game would have been cancelled immediately after the expansion was announced.

Posted by: Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324

Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324

Itzel sounds Hylek, in my opinion.

Guild Wars 2 Wiki FR contributor

Posted by: Gandalf.3516

Gandalf.3516

New NPC race means not Hylek, and not Tengu. It is possible that IGN got that wrong, or Anet said it in a weird way, and that we’re just seeing another tribe of Hylek and Tengu. But I find that to be highly unlikely. I’m hoping for a new race to interact with, myself.

BrunoBRS.5178

New NPC race means not Hylek, and not Tengu. It is possible that IGN got that wrong, or Anet said it in a weird way, and that we’re just seeing another tribe of Hylek and Tengu. But I find that to be highly unlikely. I’m hoping for a new race to interact with, myself.

we have at least two brand new frog-like races shown in the first trailer. they could be different types of the same race, but point is, there is a new race of frog people, and in GW, the frogs get the mesoamerican names (hylek, heket, etc)

(edited by BrunoBRS.5178)

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

The new race was shown at Pax when they showed new civilizations text. They are the frog like race like a more upright and bipedal hylek.

Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

The beef is how she used to work on monetization efforts for Nexon. There’s this belief everything she touches is Ruined Forever because of that. And the belief her existence anywhere near this game is proof Nexon, not NCsoft, is calling the shots.

Though if NCsoft was calling the shots, this game would have been cancelled immediately after the expansion was announced.

The idea that Nexon is somehow calling the shots is absurd, they don’t own Arenanet or Ncsoft, yes they do have a large chunk of stock but that doesn’t = control and direction of a company. I’m certain Crystin Cox was hired on to work on the Black Lions gem store system seeing as how monetization is her primary background. her work on on the mastery system would be as support and not lead design.

And for the fear mongers that think that Ncsoft is heavily influencing development need to chill and realize that Ncsoft has left Anet to develop its own thing, all Ncsoft cares about is publishing rights.

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Conspiracies aside when it comes to who she is affiliated with. First she is the lead of the microtransactions department. Second are any of you denying the fact we have had screw ups in that section of the game since release? Including what happened during the last Halloween event with the “new players don’t get it, so we fixed the gem conversion to be worse then what it was” slogan. She also habit of having other people being her mouth piece, when bad things happen in the micro store. Ever since launch of GW2, she only seems to talk with the big game media sites.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’m curious what the name of the little mushroom like dudes are at 1:07 in the video.

Hopefully since IGN was able to release this today, Anet will release their more in depth article tomorrow…

Guys, drop the Crystin Cox stuff, we don’t want this thread getting off topic and locked.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Gandalf.3516

we have at least two brand new frog-like races shown in the first trailer. they could be different types of the same race, but point is, there is a new race of frog people, and in GW, the frogs get the mesoamerican names (hylek, heket, etc)

My point was that Hylek are an already existing race. We can’t have a new race, that are Hylek. New race of “frogmen?” Sure. New Hylek tribes? Sure. But not a new race of Hylek. That would be like…they add the Flame Legion to the list of playable legions, and then people say we are getting a new Charr race to play…

If one of them is the Heket, they’d be new to GW2 specifically, but not new to the series. I think it’d be cool to see Heket again, and whatever the other frog race is (Itzel or otherwise). I believe in the IGN article it actually said there will be multiple new races, however Itzel was the only one they named. Looking forward to seeing what they all are.

The large and skinny frogs in the trailer, could theoretically all be Heket (Heket gallery in link below). Also I am curious to see if any of them will be peaceful, in GW1 they were all very aggressive.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Heket

(edited by Gandalf.3516)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m curious what the name of the little mushroom like dudes are at 1:07 in the video.

They made me think of the Narnian Monopods, albeit only vaguely given that they have two little legs. Which in turn makes me think of B.C.’s running gag “Clams got legs!”

They look adorable and giggle-inducing. But they could turn out to be deadly predators. Jungles are like that, right?

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

So masteries are a check list.. a glorified list of achievments.

Nabbis.8095

Guys try to stay on topic this is not a nexon nor Ncsoft doom and gloom thread its about the IGN article ^^.
Raptors and other “missing” Dinosaurs are also shown in the trailer so hopefully we can start preparing our raptor/dinosaur farms again.

Scoobaniec.9561

Tbh i just hope they are not as grindy as wvw ones. It needs a bit of time to max all abilities in wvw if you dont play in t1-3. Ofc wvw is a different thing so it doesnt matter but still, im not going to spend 100h+ to unlock all those gimmick abilities in a pve

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

What did you think they would be? Everything ANet’s said about them is that you go do things in the world, probably somewhat related to the area you are trying to master, and that unlocks mastery points.

I can’t think how one would expand one’s skills in the game without doing stuff in the game. Every single reward or advancement requires you to do specific types of game play to get it. (OK, so some things you only have to log in briefly for, but that’s still doing something in the game at the most minimal level). So yes, masteries will need a set of achievements to unlock. Some might just be “level up X times,” which is one way to get X skill points now. Who knows?

Of course they can be boiled down to a check list of achievements. Heck, it works that way RL. Want to be a lawyer? Go to law school, get good enough grades employers will look at you, and pass the Bar.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Mastery Design Lead Crystin Cox hahahahahahahahahah! Nuff said.

I’m certain Crystin Cox was hired on to work on the Black Lions gem store system seeing as how monetization is her primary background. her work on on the mastery system would be as support and not lead design.

MASTERY DESIGN LEAD Crystin Cox

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

Mastery Design Lead Crystin Cox hahahahahahahahahah! Nuff said.

I’m certain Crystin Cox was hired on to work on the Black Lions gem store system seeing as how monetization is her primary background. her work on on the mastery system would be as support and not lead design.

MASTERY DESIGN LEAD Crystin Cox

missed that bit, it will be what it will be. Personally have no beef with the game as of right now so I am not worried about the future.

On topic, really liking the way the mastery system is being described and hope Anet goes more in depth real soon.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Post info and screen shots for us that can’t watch video

Gandalf.3516

@ Simzani Where are you getting that at all?

@ Nabbis I love that they’re bringing back dinosaurs, I hope we get to see most if not all of the GW1 dinos and maybe new ones too

@ Scoobaniec How else would they do stuff like that? They can’t just hand everything over to us. GW2 is a game that is made to not be grindy, that doesn’t mean there won’t be any grinding at all.

@ morrolan …we’re not going to buy our masteries if that’s what you’re worried about :P But really, just because she worked on the gem store doesn’t mean that the mastery system is going to be bad. And if you look at the gem store, it works just fine.

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I think they said it was an exclusive.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Guys try to stay on topic this is not a nexon nor Ncsoft doom and gloom thread its about the IGN article ^^.
Raptors and other “missing” Dinosaurs are also shown in the trailer so hopefully we can start preparing our raptor/dinosaur farms again.

The article that told us that she is lead designer for the mastery system.

Here is the thing, I really don’t care about the gemstore stuff but if you look at her linkedin profile you see that she is also (partially) responsible for the reward system in this game. And you can argue as much as you want, the reward system has NOTHING to do with being rewarded.

Just as an example of what I do after 2 complete silverwastes run.
1. go to lions arch
2. throw away all the emp. shards(or was it dragonite?) I got from the chests
3. open all exotic bags that I got from the chests
4. salvage all green items (which are 99% of the items you get out of it)
5. store everything I got so far in my bank
6. click through 2 stacks of sand
7. open gear bags until inventory is full
8. salvage all items
9. repeat step 7 and 8 until all bags are opened
10. throw away bloodstone dust (I do have mawdrey but even she refuses to eat these absurd amounts of bloodstone dust)
10. now I have the option to click through 100s of essences of luck or put everything into the bank and turn them into exotic essences with my other character

That’s just a part of it, I didn’t even mention how I have to vendor tons of completely useless green sigils/runes or how I use the loot from the sand to buy even more bags that contain greens that need to be salvaged (zephyrite lockpicks and bandit crests).

Does this sound fun to anyone? It’s tedious and boring. And this is a system that got recently added into the game, reminds me of those Matryoshka dolls, inside the first box is another box that contains another box, etc.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.