IGN: Mastery system

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

New NPC race means not Hylek, and not Tengu. It is possible that IGN got that wrong, or Anet said it in a weird way, and that we’re just seeing another tribe of Hylek and Tengu. But I find that to be highly unlikely. I’m hoping for a new race to interact with, myself.

we have at least two brand new frog-like races shown in the first trailer. they could be different types of the same race, but point is, there is a new race of frog people, and in GW, the frogs get the mesoamerican names (hylek, heket, etc)

My point was that Hylek are an already existing race. We can’t have a new race, that are Hylek. New race of “frogmen?” Sure. New Hylek tribes? Sure. But not a new race of Hylek. That would be like…they add the Flame Legion to the list of playable legions, and then people say we are getting a new Charr race to play…

If one of them is the Heket, they’d be new to GW2 specifically, but not new to the series. I think it’d be cool to see Heket again, and whatever the other frog race is (Itzel or otherwise). I believe in the IGN article it actually said there will be multiple new races, however Itzel was the only one they named. Looking forward to seeing what they all are.

The large and skinny frogs in the trailer, could theoretically all be Heket (Heket gallery in link below). Also I am curious to see if any of them will be peaceful, in GW1 they were all very aggressive.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Heket

i was throwing the name hylek as an example of how guild wars’ frog people tend to be the mesoamerican guys. so a new race of frog people would have a name like that.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

BrunoBRS.5178

Seems like IGN jumped the gun. didn’t find any other of the major sites doing a article yet.

I think they said it was an exclusive.

honestly, IGN could’ve broken the embargo and pretended it was an “exclusive peek”. not that we can tell either way, but i don’t recall ANet being one for exclusives.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

ANet did say it was a “new NPC race”, so while it could be an undiscovered tribe of hylek/heket or Tengu, I’m also leaving the possibility open that it’s a completely new species. For all we know, the Itzel could be that adorably bumbling mushroom guys we saw, or maybe the glowy beings we all assumed were Mursaat are actually the Itzel.

BrunoBRS.5178

ANet did say it was a “new NPC race”, so while it could be an undiscovered tribe of hylek/heket or Tengu, I’m also leaving the possibility open that it’s a completely new species. For all we know, the Itzel could be that adorably bumbling mushroom guys we saw, or maybe the glowy beings we all assumed were Mursaat are actually the Itzel.

OR they could be the frog people that looks nothing like the hylek (or anything we’ve seen before in GW) and appears on the trailer when “new civilizations” pops up

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Seems to me IGN misinterpreted and said new race rather than civilization, the name of the race itself sounds like Hylek and the jungle frog people do look like a subspecies of Hylek.

The video was a nice watch though, hope Arena Net throw it up on their Youtube channel soon. I am not a big fan of IGN and I am not keen on giving them clicks and views just for that video.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Does this sound fun to anyone? It’s tedious and boring. And this is a system that got recently added into the game, reminds me of those Matryoshka dolls, inside the first box is another box that contains another box, etc.

Honestly, if I step outside the game?

Loot in any case seems tedious and boring. I haven’t had a game where it’s not been tedious and boring. Yes, even Zelda – especially Zelda. (“Oh, look, a neat toy I need for this dungeon and may use only once more in the entire game.”)

I usually take care of it all when waiting for something else to happen or when I’m about to get off.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I feel bad for people who get vertigo in games.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Does this sound fun to anyone? It’s tedious and boring. And this is a system that got recently added into the game, reminds me of those Matryoshka dolls, inside the first box is another box that contains another box, etc.

Loot in any case seems tedious and boring. I haven’t had a game where it’s not been tedious and boring. Yes, even Zelda – especially Zelda. (“Oh, look, a neat toy I need for this dungeon and may use only once more in the entire game.”)

I usually take care of it all when waiting for something else to happen or when I’m about to get off.

Yeah we all know you suffer from stockholm syndrom.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

As I am a fan of both Zelda and Metroid that Article made me soo happy ^^

I really hope they can make/made it alot like Zelda and Metroid!
I think there really is a reason to why I can’t stop playing GW2

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Tei.1704

Tei.1704

Zelda games don’t have loot in the mmo sense. Almost every item is necessary to progress in Zelda. There are relatively few items and they show up in predetermined locations. Loot in most mmos and rpgs in general is just converted into currency or material so you can horde or get something you actually want. It’s almost always random, unnecessary junk with very little value that rains from the sky. Just because Anet is eager to compare apples and oranges doesn’t mean we need to follow suit.

Also, Okami blows every Zelda game out of the water. I bet the new one will still make you use menus to hotkey items every time you want to use a different one while Clover solved this back in 2007.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I loved the reference to Metroid, especially super NES version it was absolutely fantastic and I still play it every now and again. I do have to be honest though Mastery Design Lead Crystin Cox, has me very worried at this point so until some details are out I’m going to be somewhat suspicious of how this will be rolled out. For those who aren’t familiar with her work I can tell you it left a horrible taste in my mouth when my children played Maple Story and pestered me non-stop wanting to buy stuff she introduced.

As far as the verticality of the new areas I like the idea as long as it isn’t all designed as some gigantic stupid jumping puzzle. I doubt that based on all the paths you could see in the video.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

I feel bad for people who get vertigo in games.

As I watched in amazement and awe during the PAX stream, this worry niggled at my brain throughout and ever since. My husband and I both suffer from motion sickness that can be triggered during jumping puzzles, trying to get to vistas, etc. So I am hoping there will be ways into the canopy that doesn’t always involve jumping. I’d hate to miss out on that.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Yeah we all know you suffer from stockholm syndrom.

I dont think you know what Stockholm syndrom entails.

Can say you might have it though because you clearly have major issues with the game, but can’t seem to let go and move on. And even if you did move on, the fact you are still here says otherwise.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Can say you might have it though because you clearly have major issues with the game, but can’t seem to let go and move on. And even if you did move on, the fact you are still here says otherwise.

Why do you think that I have major issues with the game?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Zelda games don’t have loot in the mmo sense. Almost every item is necessary to progress in Zelda. There are relatively few items and they show up in predetermined locations. Loot in most mmos and rpgs in general is just converted into currency or material so you can horde or get something you actually want. It’s almost always random, unnecessary junk with very little value that rains from the sky. Just because Anet is eager to compare apples and oranges doesn’t mean we need to follow suit.

That’s not entirely the point. I played through the original again, and I paid absolutely zero attention to most drops because it was either cash I didn’t need, items I didn’t need, or the stupid clock :P Add to that how every Zelda post-Ocarina has that habit of giving you an item in each dungeon necessary to finish it or beat the boss, but after that . . . it just sits in the inventory and does little unless you’re going for 100%.

Loot is entirely pointless and can be safely ignored. Much like how I find loot in this game 99% of the time. “Hey, cool, some greens . . . sell half, salvage half.”

I had to struggle to remember the last game even non-MMO where loot didn’t reach that point halfway through.

Also, Okami blows every Zelda game out of the water. I bet the new one will still make you use menus to hotkey items every time you want to use a different one while Clover solved this back in 2007.

Okami was a wonderful game, a very pretty game, and it’s a shame the studio was closed down.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

BrunoBRS.5178

That’s not entirely the point. I played through the original again, and I paid absolutely zero attention to most drops because it was either cash I didn’t need, items I didn’t need, or the stupid clock :P Add to that how every Zelda post-Ocarina has that habit of giving you an item in each dungeon necessary to finish it or beat the boss, but after that . . . it just sits in the inventory and does little unless you’re going for 100%.

Loot is entirely pointless and can be safely ignored. Much like how I find loot in this game 99% of the time. “Hey, cool, some greens . . . sell half, salvage half.”

I had to struggle to remember the last game even non-MMO where loot didn’t reach that point halfway through.

Okami was a wonderful game, a very pretty game, and it’s a shame the studio was closed down.

psst, you should play a link between worlds. something tells me you’d love that game if the way zelda has treated items the past 15 years annoys you :P

and clover might have closed down, but they live on as platinum!

/OT

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Guys try to stay on topic this is not a nexon nor Ncsoft doom and gloom thread its about the IGN article ^^.
Raptors and other “missing” Dinosaurs are also shown in the trailer so hopefully we can start preparing our raptor/dinosaur farms again.

The article that told us that she is lead designer for the mastery system.

Here is the thing, I really don’t care about the gemstore stuff but if you look at her linkedin profile you see that she is also (partially) responsible for the reward system in this game. And you can argue as much as you want, the reward system has NOTHING to do with being rewarded.

Just as an example of what I do after 2 complete silverwastes run.
1. go to lions arch
2. throw away all the emp. shards(or was it dragonite?) I got from the chests
3. open all exotic bags that I got from the chests
4. salvage all green items (which are 99% of the items you get out of it)
5. store everything I got so far in my bank
6. click through 2 stacks of sand
7. open gear bags until inventory is full
8. salvage all items
9. repeat step 7 and 8 until all bags are opened
10. throw away bloodstone dust (I do have mawdrey but even she refuses to eat these absurd amounts of bloodstone dust)
10. now I have the option to click through 100s of essences of luck or put everything into the bank and turn them into exotic essences with my other character

That’s just a part of it, I didn’t even mention how I have to vendor tons of completely useless green sigils/runes or how I use the loot from the sand to buy even more bags that contain greens that need to be salvaged (zephyrite lockpicks and bandit crests).

I couldn’t agree more, unfortunately most of the people left here are the ones that drank the kool-aid. I was really hoping GW2 was just going to bee a bigger, better verson of GW1 and not WoW East.