[Idea] The "HoT Slot", not a "character Slot"

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Personally I’d say that I think that the price of HoT is fair, but even though I already purchased one in advance, I agree that it would have been nice to get an extra slot for the Revenant.

However.

There is one element that also should be considered, and that’s that the announced package content has already gone through editing and translation, and assuming that physical pre-purchase boxes will be sold in the stores, is already being printed for sale.

It doesn’t seem realistic to expect that the content of the boxes will be changed at this point, quite frankly it would cost a fortune. Anything that gets added in order to resolve the current PR nightmare would need to be classified as a “feature” of Heart of Thorns, rather than an “extra” that needs to be printed on the box.

IMO, that feature could be the Beta Slot.

As we know from the Beta’s that have already occurred, beta access means that accounts are granted an additional slot. This slot is unlike any other character slot, and instead of creating a level 0 character in the tutorial instance, creates a level 80 character in the Silverwastes with exotic weapons and armour, set up for the first HoT mission.

That slot is essentially “included” in the pre-purchase release text (In my suggestion, it would be covered under “Beta Access” and “Heart of Thorns Expansion”, rather than “character slot”), so modifications to how it works would not require game boxes to be scrapped and reprinted, nor would it require a fortune in additional localisation costs.

TL:DR [Jump to here]

IMO, the following suggestion would resolve a lot of the issues.

• Beta Slot is re-branded the HoT Slot, and turned into an HoT “feature”
  • Prior to the release of HoT, it is used to grant access to the Beta test
  • When HoT is released, it becomes locked out to players who have not yet created at least 1 level 80 character.
  • Once an account is flagged with a level 80 character, the HoT Slot is unlocked.
  • Like normal character slots, characters in the HoT slot can be deleted and recreated at will.
  • Unlike normal character slots, characters in the HoT slot always start at level 80, in the first HoT instance
Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

If it became clear that a beta slot remain as a full char slot, that would go a long way to relieve the issues with pre purchase that a lot of people have.

But it is safe to say it won’t be until something official is announced.

Very good idea though, a fresh input into the current debate which is great to see!

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Posted by: choban.9027

choban.9027

Just print additional fancy shiny sticker and stick it on the box (it has to be shiny!!).

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

ANet could surprise us and convert our beta slot into a normal slot once HoT is released.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I would love to see it as a hot slot! The bit about making it only usable once you hit 80 is nice as well: it satisfies experienced players while telling new players that they can have it too after a few months of active game play.

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Good idea.
Since I have already purchased it, I’d be totally fine with this change.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.