Idea for a Mastery - Riding

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Jaetara.4075

Jaetara.4075

Hello there,
In the new map we often see enemies mounting dinosaur like creatures which seam really cool, also the new areas have much fewer waypoints, plus new maps that we get tend to have some special mechanics that cannot be found anywhere else.
So all this gave me the idea for a new Mastery for another map maybe inside the jungle, the idea is to learn and master riding!

First you will have to learn how to tame specific mobs so to be able to mount them, then you will unlock some passive skills like run 25% with your mount. Another mastery could give you specific skills while on the mount, like leap forward and gain stability, get invulnerable for a few seconds, set a trap the cripples foes that step on it, jump high and gain swiftness.

This idea I think will make a lot of people happy, all those that ask for mounts all this years. It fits the game type, the way that the masteries work. Also it will be really fun to run around the jungle, reach special places, and you could even pick the mount that you like out of some available options. Could be just an environmental thing, you won’t own it, you wont need a space for it in your bag, you just see it, grab it and you roll!

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

We don’t need mounts. We will have more than enough mobility with mushrooms and gliders.

Jaetara.4075

It is not only a matter of need, it is a matter of having fun, learn new things, master abilities, change the way you run around and looking cool. It could be just a different goal for your character.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I would love a chocobo mastery track.

Seriously, even if it is locked to the Kralkratorrik crystal desert xpac. Would be awesome to run trough a gigantic desert riding a chocobo (They are named Moa’s in this game).

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

1: no mounts pls. Specially non with a speedboost.
2: new map has a normal amount of waypoints. Keep in mind we only saw 40% of one layer. I imagine when the other layers are there too you also get vertical passage ways to switch between layers. This means that waypoints on the other layers are counting too.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

I think it aint a bad idea. these huge maps would be great to have a small mount with like a 5% speed boost or something.
but not a mount you own but one you can hire or something in maps with little wp’s it would be cool!

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Ugh. Another mounts thread.

We don’t need mounts. They become even more unnecessary on these new multi tiered maps.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

No Mounts. Not Now. Not Ever.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

If you want a mount, buy a flying carpet,broom or sonic tunneling. it’s purely cosmetic, but thats as close to having a mount, as you’re going to get.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Nice twist for a mount tread.
But still, please no mounts.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

There will never be mounts. Stop suggesting it.

MauricioCezar.2673

“there eill never be mounts”
Sorry, but what about gliding? Isn’t it something sompletely different from the usual gameplay? what about a riding mastery could give potential new mechanics to exclusive areas? (Not Open World).

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

I have to agree, this is by and far one of the best suggestions for mounts… BUT PLEASE, enough already, NO. MOUNTS.

Why not? Screen space, animation watching, etc. In any combat situation, it would be annoying, distracting, and further clog my screen with things I don’t care about.

OP you now have a viable way, imo, to add them to the game, even a reasonable lore entry point.
Now, how do you get rid of them in combat?

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

Sorry, but what about gliding? Isn’t it something sompletely different from the usual gameplay? what about a riding mastery could give potential new mechanics to exclusive areas? (Not Open World).

Gliding promotes verticality, which is a big deal in HoT (it’s also just a new way to fall). Riding a Prancing Pony around doesn’t actually add anything, and we already have zone-specific transforms (Siege Devourers in EotM).

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Mounts per se I also think that we’ll never have.
But something like a “mechanic” used to transverse a certain terrain in a map/area is ok, like the Junundu in the GW1 used in the Desolation area.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Sorry, but what about gliding? Isn’t it something sompletely different from the usual gameplay?

It is different, but it isn’t mounts. It isn’t a different creature, it is a way of traversing terrain much like the aspects in Dry Top.

Quiznos.4296

The only thing I can think of is giving this to rangers for their pet’s, dismount on combat entry. But some animals…
norn ranger w/ pet raven?.. =squish!
So there goes that idea…
there just isn’t a good fit for mounts in the game, I don’t think there ever will be.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I can see mounts as masteries work. If and only if they work only in specific areas. So they work like the mushrooms in the jungle. You walk around an area and when you meet a specific mountable animal you press ‘F’ and you mount that animal. You can then walk around on that animal and use it to overcome some barriers that are present in the area. When leaving the pre-defined area or when the time is up you automatically dismount.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Yup, this! Outside of the gemstore at least! But nope, no mounts thank you, especially the kind that give speed boosts.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

The biggest problem I see with mounts is the fact WoW has incorporated them already for years, and it would feel too much like WoW if they did this. Its just not this games style. Something new, like rail cars on a specific track or zip lines might be a better option to consider. Nothing that would allow the character to move it or make an unknown destination.

Quiznos.4296

Blade and soul does not have mounts, also has gliding. Having one is NO indication that mounts can/will/should be added.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

I could see this being interesting for SPECIFIC, LIMITED areas – think the Junudu (sp?) from GW1. Perhaps there’s a particular expanse you must cross, but gliding won’t get you there… so you must learn to fly on a gigantic pterodactyl or something…

But the use of those “mounts” should be limited to one area of the map for one purpose and not act as a free passive 25% speed buff for players who level the mastery.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Only if we could kill what we where riding and then be allowed to beat it.
Would put in game a favorite hobby of the forums.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

This game (rightly) places a premium value on overland speed. Some professions pay for that privilege with it taking up a utility skill slot (various speed signets), some pay with a trait and having to equip some subset of weapons while out for a stroll, and all characters can pay the price by sloting 6/6 of certain rune sets.

A mastery that trivializes ALL of those options is gonna create a cascading poopstorm of work I don’t see them as being eager to take on right now. Or Ever.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I really like the idea for a riding mastery track.

At 1, it unlocks the ability to ride tamed mounts.
At 3, you can ride untamed mounts.
At 5, you get a speed bonus of 25%.
At 7, you can use underwater weapons while mounted, allowing you to fight while riding.
At 10, speed bonus becomes 50% and you gain a title.

I really want this in the game. Not the actual mounts, though. Leave those out. JUST the mastery track. They can add it in on April 1st.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Mounts would make more sense than gliders that only work in specific locations.

As for jumping around on mushrooms, bah, humbug.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

No mounts, but new ways of traveling would be nice.
Yes, all maps are a individual instance, so map-traversing will always be teleporting in the end.
Still, we have quite a lot mobility-options for all races,
charr-copter (flying) and steam-tanks (“rails” on land) in charr areas, especially ascalon.
sylvari-seeds (flying) – like in the grove – for slyvari outposts and caledon forrest.
Balloons (flying) and horses (land-routes) in kryta and around human outposts
Bears (land-routes) and giant eagles in norn areas, especially shiver peaks.
And while Asura already have the WP’s and portals, some flying cube-platforms for metrica and other asura outposts would be awesome.

Let these means of transportation connect all the peaceful outposts on a map and give us the option to speak with a npc-travelmaster to choose our destination.

And when it comes to inter-map connections, give us ships that connect LA, The Grove, Rata Sum and Fort Trinity + some outposts in sparksfly den and bloodtide coast.
Give us pact-airships that connect silver-wastes with drytop, all capital cities and Fort Trinity.
Even some underground Charr-Train network could be possible.

There are so many means of transportation that players get in contact with during personal story, cutscenes and trailers, still we can’t use any of them.

The WP’s are totally fine to travel quickly in Gw2, so this is not a gameplay-related issue, but a big immersion related one. Civilizations as advanced as the Tyrian ones, not using any traffic but portals and dolly-caravans?

WoW got it right…
Allods got it right…
SWTOR got it right…

Gw2 is like “yea, we don’t really give a kitten about immersive traveling, just give them teleport nodes all over the place”…

Disclaimer: I’m not asking to replace WP’s entirely, so dungeon-hoppers and Worldboss farmers have no reason to complain, but for getting some more means of traveling on top of that.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Jaetara.4075

Look every game has mounts and this is not just a WoW thing. I also believe that mounts doesn’t belong to that game and I wouldn’t like them to appear on the Gemstore… that would be lame. But many people like the idea of mounts and I have to admit that could be fun!
Adding them into the game as a Map mechanic could satisfy that audience and at the same time bring something new to work for without interfering with game’s aesthetics.

About speed this could increase for 10% if 25% seams to much. Maybe a map out there could be big enough that it will be usefull to be able to move faster to support on different events.

(edited by Jaetara.4075)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Gliding and jump-shrooms (if that’s what they do) provide access to movement modes that characters in the vanilla game cannot do. As such they are additions to character capabilities that do not bypass the opportunity costs of speed increase traits, runes and skills. These are fine additions to the game.

Ground movement, though, is something that characters can do. Increased ground movement is something a character can have if the player chooses to pay the opportunity costs. I would not be in favor of a riding mastery whose purpose was to bypass that cost.

I would be fine with riding as a mastery that allows characters to do something they cannot currently choose to do. An example might be a swamp with quicksand that can only be ridden through on a dinosaur, or lava that burns characters, but does not burn a salamander mount. This, of course, is not what the OP is proposing.

MauricioCezar.2673

I would be fine with riding as a mastery that allows characters to do something they cannot currently choose to do. An example might be a swamp with quicksand that can only be ridden through on a dinosaur, or lava that burns characters, but does not burn a salamander mount. This, of course, is not what the OP is proposing.

THAT is the sort of dynamic thing I was talking about. Different ways to transverse some places, just like gliding actually does. I never was a fan of useless mounts, but if they come with a logic and variety into gameplay, I think its pretty valid.

(Altough I was mostly thinking on it to desert xpac, being able to run trough infernal sands).

Posted by: Automaton.4926

Automaton.4926

I hop mounts are never in this game.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Look every game has mounts and this is not just a WoW thing.

How odd. I can’t seem to find a mount anywhere in The Secret World. What am I doing wrong?

We don’t need mounts in this game. Get over it people.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Jaetara.4075

Some people don’t even bother to read! I am not suggesting a normal mound thing, not a pet that you can have in your inventory and use anywhere any time. I am suggesting a map mechaning, that instead of using mushrooms, summon a glider, or gather aspects, you can use creatures from the nature around you, mount them to reach special places, pass dangerous places easier or achieve reaching events faster.

I don’t get why so much hate from some people… how this could destroy your precious game play? Even if they add normal mounts, which I am not suggesting, cause I don’t really care about them, what could make it that terrible. Don’t get the mastery if you don’t like it! (if they do it anyways, this is just an idea).

(edited by Jaetara.4075)

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Some people don’t even bother to read! I am not suggesting a normal mound thing, not a pet that you can have in your inventory and use anywhere any time. I am suggesting a map mechaning, that instead of using mushrooms, summon a glider, or gather aspects, you can use creatures from the nature around you, mount them to reach special places, pass dangerous places easier or achieve reaching events faster.

I don’t get why so much hate from some people… how this could destroy your precious game play? Even if they add normal mounts, which I am not suggesting, cause I don’t really care about them, what could make it that terrible. Don’t get the mastery if you don’t like it! (if they do it anyways, this is just an idea).

Short answer: Even if one WP is contested you can still make to an event on time. Too many WP in the game to even consider a mount or even a quick travel mount. There’s quickness and utilities for you to traverse the map quicker even without mounts.

Attachments:

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Jaetara.4075

Ok yes, they are not needed on the maps that you already know, but this is all a hypothetical scenario of a map that mounts could be needed or at least they can offer something to our game play. If someone was suggesting that glide should be a part of the game before you knew about Verdant Brink map you could easily say, yes we don’t need glide. But on Verdant Brink glide seams essential.
Maybe a new map could be very wide and wild with very few waypoints. It could be full of traps or ambushes that you could pass only while riding a mount, maybe your mount can help you detect those traps and avoid them or rush trough them, maybe it can help you stealth or get invulnerable. There are so many scenarios out there, let your imagination flow, get wild!

(edited by Jaetara.4075)

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Just take away the dumb progression system and just put in mounts. Perfect.

I haven’t heard about any complaints about Magic Carpet and Sonic Dredge tool. Players will tolerate mounts even if they said they wouldn’t.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I haven’t heard about any complaints about Magic Carpet and Sonic Dredge tool. Players will tolerate mounts even if they said they wouldn’t.

You haven’t been looking hard enough. Also, we can’t stop Anet from pushing crap out on the gem store.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

You haven’t been looking hard enough. Also, we can’t stop Anet from pushing crap out on the gem store.

If I am forced to look really hard, then magic carpet isn’t a big issue. Mounts will never be a big issue just like magic carpet isn’t. You need to provide hundreds of threads with hundred of different people discussing magic carpet made the game very terrible if you think I am wrong. It needs to be on the same level as NPE traits.

If ANet put in mounts right now, People will learn quickly to tolerate it.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Jaetara.4075

The tittle says “Idea for a Mastery” not “Idea for Gemstore” read the tittle!!!

Masteries are the new progression system Anet is implementing with HoT. Masteries help us boost our gameplay on specific areas/maps, they help us discover and reach unreachable areas, read sighs and understand npcs to gain knowledge and much more. Masteries from what I understand are to be used as tools and at the same time be fun and creative, giving us an extra goal to achieve and making our game more fun and rewarding. Being able to tame and mound specific creatures on a map and use them has nothing to do with items that we use for cosmetics or that we own. It can be just a fun tool!

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I wouldnt mind one map where you need mounts, but i dont want them invading the rest of the game, we dont need them elsewhere, its to late to remove waypoints nor should they, and anything outside of passive mounts that dont provide speed boosts i dont want to see. I find them ugly screen clutter that isnt needed. But i wouldnt mind them on one map, that was designed for them. Nowhere else would they work, and i still say they arent, and will never be needed.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

How many times do we have to say no to mounts before it sticks?

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Mounts would be a great addition to the game, I don’t think the naysayers make very good points against it unless they mean flying mounts.

Posted by: Eldermash.5134

Eldermash.5134

If I had a mount, I would explore and enjoy the map more. Isn’t that the point?

Posted by: Siril Frein.2395

Siril Frein.2395

Despite being against standard MMO mounts in the general game map, I could actually get behind the idea of mastery mounts in future expansions in territory where we don’t have waypoint networks, such as the Crystal Desert. Junundu would be an obvious choice, or perhaps even sand drakes, which were absurdly fast, and pretty huge, too.

Posted by: Leonhardt.8164

Leonhardt.8164

I bet they are saving mounts as a future feature for another expansion, sort of like how when flying was first introduced in WoW, it was such a big deal at the time, i wouldnt be surprised if anet did something similar

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Since HoT will turn into a combination of Super Mario and Aion, let’s have mounts, i want to see charr ride a dolyak into battle. No kidding.

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

Yeah, This game just doesn’t need “traditional” mounts as the game is currently designed, but those map specific ones could be cool done well.

In fact, WE ALREADY HAVE THEM: The mechanical siege devourers you can pilot in WvW or the Silverwastes, and the WvW siege golems.

I skimmed over the thread, and someone mentioned the crystal desert. What if (In a future expansion) the desert DID have some big, huge empty expanses where some kind of superfast mount was needed to traverse it (and JUST that area) with it’s own combat style and everything. Either jousting and “horseback” archery type attacks, or if we have some vehicles with mounted guns. (Let me drive one of those Charr tanks already!)

What about being able to pilot boats or aircraft?

I don’t want Use-Anywhere style mounts like most people have the knee-jerk “NO!” reaction to, but some more pilotable vehicles could be a lot of fun.

I’m not liking the idea of taming mounts as a mechanic, but maybe as part of a dynamic event, where clearing it lets players grab mounts and vehicles. … Again, like we already have in the silverwastes. That event might even be a test run for mount/vehicle type systems tied to maps.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Moa Riding mastery line so that we can train to be jockeys in the all new Moa Racing Track competitive challenge in Lion’s Arch with leaderboards from a fun and rewarding social and competitive challenge activity.

Well… one can dream

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

to be honest, I don’t think it would be a big difference if mounts would just replace the swiftness out of combat having +33% speed… not having mounts just forces everyone to use some kind of swiftness, at least out of combat in PvE and WvW…

but from what I remember devs already said they don’t want mounts…

Posted by: hennrick.4623

hennrick.4623

If there will ever be a mount mastery, i would like it to be not the classic MMo thing because we really don’t need that.
It would be cool if it is like riding in Final Fantasy XII, where you find chocobos ( chickens that you ride basically ) and their primary use is to access otherwise unaccessible areas, like for an event or a vendor, ONLY AND IF ONLY related to a certain ambient like a desert or what else.

however-, cool down with this mastery thing – we barely know how it works.

however