in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

here are a couple changes how I would change the game:

no levels

no gear stats

no gold

no grind

skins drop randomly in the world so you aren´t forced to play in a specific part of the map. The most desirable skins will have the lowest drop rate, but any enemy can drop any skin. World bosses have specific, unique skins that only they can drop.

Player housing

crafting still gives xp. The higher your crafting level the more things you unlock to decorate your player house.

World completion

getting 100% world completion unlocks a mount that you can customize.

dungeons

dungeons have multiple difficulty tiers. After you complete the first tier you get a specific armor or weapon precursor with multiple stages that fits the dungeons theme. Successfully completing a tier makes the armor/weapon evolve until eventually you get the final legendary form provided you beat the hardest tier.

raids
similar to dungeons with multiple difficulty tiers. Rewards: special mount accessories and a special title that is visible to other players.

There is a special new monument in lions arch with players names on it who have managed to beat the final tier of the raid.

guild raids
same as raids, but rewards are specific guild hall upgrades

guild vs guild

same as WvW, but on a smaller scale. Guilds battle each other. Rewards are special guild hall upgrades

no trading
exception being if you are doing group content and you get a skin that doesn´t fit your class then you can trade it with members in your group for a short period of time.

If I was in charge of GW2

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

And people would stop playing the game within a month due to lack of things to do.

ChrizZcE.5981

And people would stop playing the game within a month due to lack of things to do.

If that were true everyone would´ve stopped playing vanilla GW2 two weeks after launch after they hit max lvl.

Ayrilana.1396

If that were true everyone would´ve stopped playing vanilla GW2 two weeks after launch after they hit max lvl.

No. There was still many things to do. What you’re suggesting is to make all of those much more obtainable at a quicker rate allowing players to subsequently finish all available content at a quicker rate.

ChrizZcE.5981

No. There was still many things to do. What you’re suggesting is to make all of those much more obtainable at a quicker rate allowing players to subsequently finish all available content at a quicker rate.

where do I suggest to make things obtainable at a quicker rate?

(edited by ChrizZcE.5981)

Ayrilana.1396

where do I suggest to make things obtainable at a quicker rate?

Your entire post.

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

which funny enough, my whole guild did right after the release of fractals because of the 80% disconnect rate at the time since there was literally no other content left at 80.

Yep. 100 people vanished from GW2 within a month. but once fractals got stable and the karka stuff happened everyone went crazy over ascended trinket grinds and skin/collection farming

Posted by: Gomes.5643

Gomes.5643

skins drop randomly in the world so you aren´t forced to play in a specific part of the map. The most desirable skins will have the lowest drop rate, but any enemy can drop any skin. World bosses have specific, unique skins that only they can drop.

That is kind of an contradiction to itself. Shall every mop be able to drop every skin or are some skins exclusive drops from some mops. Regardless how you meant it, in combination with “no trading” that would mean, that if you are interested in an specific skin (lets say from the normal mop drops), you have to depend purely on RNG. And for myself, I wouldnt like that at all.

dungeons

dungeons have multiple difficulty tiers. After you complete the first tier you get a specific armor or weapon precursor with multiple stages that fits the dungeons theme. Successfully completing a tier makes the armor/weapon evolve until eventually you get the final legendary form provided you beat the hardest tier.

raids
similar to dungeons with multiple difficulty tiers. Rewards: special mount accessories and a special title that is visible to other players.

Good Idea. Also would implement an “Eternal” -Fractal mode, where you just complete one fractal after one fractal (maybe on time) with increasing difficulty and rewards of course.

no trading
exception being if you are doing group content and you get a skin that doesn´t fit your class then you can trade it with members in your group for a short period of time.

Which means, that all what is dropped is basically crap if you dont need it ….. as you cant even sell it.

Posted by: Danel.8573

Danel.8573

no levels

no gear stats

no gold

no grind

no progress

no builds

neither any form trade, nor means of acquisition of gear, items etc, other than through random drops and grind (which contradicts your “no grind” point)

no sense of achievement while you’re entirely dependent on RNG and unable to work for your goals

Seriously, I’ve seen a lot of nonsense on these forums, but this is definitely the most ridiculous thing I’ve read so far.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

no levels

no gear stats

no gold

no grind

Player housing

crafting still gives xp. The higher your crafting level the more things you unlock to decorate your player house.

World completion

getting 100% world completion unlocks a mount that you can customize.

dungeons

raids

There is a special new monument in lions arch with players names on it who have managed to beat the final tier of the raid.

guild raids
same as raids, but rewards are specific guild hall upgrades

guild vs guild

same as WvW, but on a smaller scale. Guilds battle each other. Rewards are special guild hall upgrades

no trading

omg so much grind geesh…
Killing multiple mobs over and over hoping for a rare drop? Grind.
Rerunning dungeons over and over again to level up a skin? Grind.
Crafting? That means I have to run around and gather stuff constantly. Grind.

You said no grind! Why is there so much grind?!

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I’m so glad you aren’t in charge of GW2.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

id only change a few things…

- race identity in most skills, what might look like for example a flesh golem on a human
might be an undead bear for norn or a mordrem like beast made of bones and plants for sylvari, functionality would remain the same and standard models for skills can be turned on in the options menu like it can be done now for player models.

- no outfits, they never would have happened, town clothes never went away but gained the ability to be worn in battle…means in short they can be mixed and matched

- also town cloth skin bundles are sold alongside a fitting and fun toy, that can be bought in a bundle together with the skins or standalone.

- more skins themed arround classes or specific bosses, monsters or locations, generic sets only in lower levels, anything above 30 would slowly but surely go into a design pattern fitting for one of the classes within its weight class. Also atleast 3 new sets get added per quarter that are tied to content or the gem store…and if its just a random collection. Also armor quality is equal for all races and genders and adjustments are made to compliment the anatomy of each race.

- legendaries would be all like the new ones. Handcrafted precursors only or lucky rng drop, no TP precursors.

-Dungeon team was never disbanded and keeps balancing dungeons aswell adding new ones as new maps\content appears. Dungeon team gets renamed to “instance team”, the team size gets adjusted and is now in charge of instanced content in general where battle situations happen. Dungeons\fractal\raids\other instanced content gets levels of difficulty that can be choosen by the player or group, the rewards are affected accordingly.

- balance gets completely split between the 3 game modes, each balance patch each game mode gets its very own changes to balance. Minor changes that happen per patch also get split between the 3 game modes.. cept fixes if a skill doesnt work or stuff.

- black lion chests dont include tickets anymore. Weapon skins can be directly bought with gems from the former ticket vendors either in a full set bundle or single skin. Chests now got a chance to drop the newest set of ticket weapons. Boosters get removed from chests and replaced by multi boosters that allow you to pick what kind of booster you want by default.

- Glider skins are in game rewards only and tied to HoT.

- Transmutation charges get removed and “custom outfit slots” get introduced that allow you to save a look for your armor. One slot is free per char, more can be bought at the gem store like bag slots

- Build templates get introduced, 2 per char by default, further ones can be bought through the gem store.

- Developer communication is more open and explains nerfing\buffing to content and skills and also adresses obvios concerns as good as possible. Even a “we are aware of it and we look into it but are not sure how to deal with it just yet” can be assuring to people. Same like a " we think its good that way it is atm" can give people closure that feel ignored with their concerns. Betas get introduced for every big change like with HoT or raids.

- rewards get put together with love and care and reward skins related to the content (especially LS) or more helpfull items.

-minipets can be turned off for those who dont really like em

- basaltface keeps on dreaming and wonders himself why he even bothers to write that…

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

And here we have evidence that sometimes it’s NOT a good idea to listen to the players…

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

So in your game, if I want a particular skin I have no choice but to kill mobs over and over and over and over and over and over and over….. while praying to RNGesus to bless me this day?

Sound a trifle grindy.

Posted by: Woof.8246

Woof.8246

-Pets

(Fallout 3 – Kindred)
They could work as a secondary/unlimited Daily Login Events .
Pets will nod to you occassionaly (if you right click the animal , it will link the waypoint , where it wants to go) .
When you reach it will nod you to follow him , leading and forcing you to do an Event , sniffing the ice , killing a WvWvWW player or doing 2 specific Dungeons or Minigame that is proggrammed bettwen 14:00-17:30 , or meeting new Pets that you can capture and those too lead you to an half-dead guy or an old guy that teaches you some GW1 Area Lore and tells you hidden places about mats for Achentant Gear .

From an WvWvW NPC you get a buff for an hour that , where theres a chance to copy a random Pet when an enemy dies .

(Star War Followrs)
Pets will ask you for your permission to leave for 1 day
And occasionaly a message from a Stranger will ask you to help a that Pet from other animal attacks with 15 min timer (or find clus at the end of an event or follow the bloodstains).
If you Fail and let him die twice in that day , it doesnt offer you any quest for 15 days (summon or capture an other Pet)
If you 100% succed in those 5 days , his son (more colloer version with different collors) will be unloked

If you let a pet to go in a journey , you can use an other pet to follow it in various areas = so you have 2 minigmaes each time = x2 rewards

In both cases the more CONTUES help you do per event+day+week+months (like the Login Rewards) , dig the ground and offer you better ’’treasures’’
And creating ornaments (rings/scarfs) or crazy hairstyle (Mohawk) for them in the Gemstore
Or having an Affection Attitude Gemstore Item where your Naga Pet will throw up a bone at the other player’s Dog Pet or play with it
Or YOLO Attitude , where it will slurs the appiriance of the other player or kitten on their feet or fight in a cartoonish way with other Pets
Or having a funny conversation if your pet has the ‘’Gentleman Attitude’’ and the other one has the Yolo , talking about the universe or scholar/street things

Captain Kuro

(edited by Woof.8246)

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

good that you are not in charge of the game

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually that did happen for a whole bunch of people. Maybe you weren’t reading the forums back then, but there was an epidemic of posts about people leaving due to getting their max gear and having nothing to do. Not one or two posts. A few posts every day until ascended gear was introduced.

Both my sons stopped playing and came back to get ascended gear.

Yes, people need stuff to work on that they have to work on. No idea why.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Interesting changes, but a bad idea for GW2. You’d want to make a game from scratch to use those ideas in.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If we’re going to have level scaling then we may as well not even have levels while EXP would unlock skills or if I’d decide to keep levels explain in universe why you’re “weaker” in some areas but stronger in others. Low level areas canonically taking place in the past seems like a decent enough hand wave.

I’d also unlock everyone’s abilities so you don’t have to choose between binding one skill or another. I mean you’d still have to learn the ability but you won’t be limited to just 10 skills.

I’d keep gear tiers, traits, and stuff but have harder areas reward proportionally. I’d have PvE be less rewarding than sPvP and WvW since it’s less prestigious than them. I’d still buff dungeon rewards however but add dynamic AI for a new hardest mode. I’d have supermobs with very advanced AI that knows what players will do and maximize its winning chances (they will know what skills a player has) and be picked from a random pool of current mob types in random locations at random times. A supermob teagariff or shadowleaper for example could utterly gank new players in a starting zone as they wouldn’t have the experience or even the gear to cope with the challenge while a super bandit mob in HoT zones (or anywhere) would have more abilities and way higher stats.

As for story I’d kill off Marjory, have Jormag fake his death but it backfiring on him when the Inquest kidnaps him, controls him, and gives him ceramic armor to resist heat much better. After killing him for real you unlock access to the Inquest’s base in the Far Shiverpeaks for raiding. They also killed Marjory and are holding Logan and Zojja prisoner. They accuse Zojja of being a sell-out because she’s in love with Logan. The raid would be all about rescuing them. It would be divided into difficulty tiers: 10 mans, 20 mans, 40 mans, and 100 mans. The 100 man one has a guaranteed chance of dropping precursor weapons or armor upon success, but will absolutely not forgive mistakes. The utmost cooperation, mastery of one’s class, timing, and mechanics are essential to success in the 100 man raid. If someone prematurely tries interrupting a trash mob for example they will get downed, if they’re too late then the big telegraph also downs them. So coordination and timing interrupts would be the name of the game.

If the raid wipes the players would be shown a cutscene where Zojja dies in agony, with a close up of her face with sorrow and despair. Don’t worry, it wouldn’t be canon but rather motivate the players to do better next time.

I’d also add 40 man and 100 man battlegrounds that are modeled after Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest. Just these big siege brawls where you storm the castle and take out the head NPC. Like stronghold kinda but more fun and bigger battlegrounds. I’d also add straight up death matches for those who like them. Also separate balancing between PvE and PvP.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Some of those ideas are pretty good, others terrible. I like the idea of skins drops in particular.

I wouldn’t make too many drastic changes to the game, just make some quality of life updates to keep things more player friendly.

The levelling system is fine, gear and stats are in a good place. However, I’d keep the costs of the new stats a bit more in line with the older ones, and remove the account binding. I would also do away with soulbinding entirely, and unique ascended items.

I think the gem store model and gold → gems was a fine experiment in the vanilla game but things have spiralled out of control. There should be some reasonably priced, cash only options. Unlimited transmutation, permanent stylists, bank, TP, repair bots and so on. Nothing game breaking, but definitely welcomed additions. Would sell these as year long contracts for around $20 each, or get them all for $100. There would be a small gold sink for the use of these services – a few silver for each use of the basics, 1g or so for each makeover.

Dungeons would have around 3 tiers of difficulty, with the lowest awarding the reduced rewards and the higher tiers giving the old 1g+ in coin. Would also have created unique back items for each dungeon as well, requiring a bunch of tokens and a recipe that is rarely dropped by random mobs.

Ascended gear would still be top tier and pricey as hell, but have the option of stat swapping out of combat. And of course, chests would drop in the more challenging PvE content – fractals and raids. The old droprate was somewhat reasonable.

And last but not least, build templates. One extra page for gear and traits free, others can be unlocked for 800 gems each (account wide). Free and easy swapping when out of combat.