Inspecting or`the incurable curiosity of men`

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ZennithRising.8653

ZennithRising.8653

Talking about minor improvements in the upcoming expansion: is it just me thinking this or an `inspect the gear your fellow player` would indeed be a cool thing. The devil is in the details and as gw2 has such a big deal going on with the cosmetic variety, it would be a shame not exploring its beauty further. I am sometimes amazed how many players get the gear combination/dye working perfectly for their profession/race, etc. I sometimes find myself standing near another player zooming in just to screenshot that low resolution looks. Would an option which enables you to look at another players armor in detail be so much to ask? They talked about spectating in PvP and how they want players to be transparent with their builds and skills, couldn`t they do the same with gear, in PvE also? Surely I am not the only one who tought about this. And yes I know its something WoW had many years before and that gw2 stays away from anything that WoW had/did, but really can`t we just look past these nonsense? They can call it anything other than `inspect` if that makes them feel better…

I am just saying, its a shame not to dive in deeper into gw2 fashion… since its also considered by many to be the end game stuff :P

Let me hear your toughts!

(edited by ZennithRising.8653)

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

Your intent is pure, but it might destroy pick up groups. Imagine joining a group, then being inspected, only to be told “… your wearing 5/6 Berserker and 1 Sentinels piece? get out of here” then you get kicked.

I would support this if it just showed the cosmetic skins and dyes, and not the stats

Posted by: Happicakes.2054

Happicakes.2054

I second what eggs said. Skins and Dyes being up for inspection would be nice.

Celeste Dalenset – Mesmer/Chronomancer
Officer – League of Tyrian Adventurers [LoTA]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Lunarhound.7324

Lunarhound.7324

I don’t care about inspecting anyone’s gear, but I’ll tell you what I would like: the option to inspect their skins. When I see someone with awesome looking armor or weapon skins that I don’t recognize, it can be a pain to screenshot them, go to the bank, and try to sift through the previews there until I recognize what it was that they were wearing.

Edit: There, see, someone beat me to the punch. :P What Eggs said.

(edited by Lunarhound.7324)

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I feel this would be fine in PvP and WvW where results are more important than anything.

However in PvE I see this being abused. Horribly. This isn’t like other games where people are often understanding of differences of gear and build as long as you perform well in actual combat. Far too many people link builds/gear to in combat competence. There opinions are often based on an ideal run. Which is fine. However less than 5% of the games players can guarantee (absolutely) an ideal run. Yet far more than that number EXPECT the other players to also assume there going to have an ideal run and build accordingly.

ATM. Many players sneak in certain gear and builds in runs in order to guarantee survival and the completion of the fight. Even if that completion time is 10-20 seconds slower than the ideal time. That no longer becomes possible in a world with stat/build inspection. Theyl be forced to conform. And alot of groups will start dieing.

On the bright side. It may encourage NORMAL groups to be less uptight about gear and builds. On the other. It may cause them to crack down even harder. Blaming those that attempt to use there own builds for failures. Despite the fact that often a player using a build there comfortable and experience with will outperform a player using a build that doesn’t really match there playstyle but they feel peer pressured into using.

Edit: as for inspecting skin and days. As long as its ONLY the skin name being shown and not the gear name underneath or the rune. I am 100% for it.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I second what eggs said. Skins and Dyes being up for inspection would be nice.

I agree with this. But not stat inspection, too much elitism waiting to happen.

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

I’m all welcome for people being able to see the skins I’m using, but not the stats. I don’t care what stat gear people use when they group with me, but i know many do, and with it being far easier to view what people are using, there will be many people being kicked from groups simply for not wearing full exotic or ascended zerker gear.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

Inspeting skins and dyes is fine by me.

but what keeps you from just asking them?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

ZennithRising.8653

Your intent is pure, but it might destroy pick up groups. Imagine joining a group, then being inspected, only to be told “… your wearing 5/6 Berserker and 1 Sentinels piece? get out of here” then you get kicked.

I would support this if it just showed the cosmetic skins and dyes, and not the stats

Yes, you are right, I can`t see how I managed to oversee this newly emerging elitism and how that would affect this. But my point is still there: at least skins and dyes!

Inspeting skins and dyes is fine by me.

but what keeps you from just asking them?

Where should I do that? Would it make a difference?

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

When you stand next to said people whose fashion youre interested in?

I sometimes find myself standing near another player zooming in just to screenshot that low resolution looks.

The difference would be that you would know what theyre wearing then.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

ZennithRising.8653

When you stand next to said people whose fashion youre interested in?

I sometimes find myself standing near another player zooming in just to screenshot that low resolution looks.

The difference would be that you would know what theyre wearing then.

Oh sorry I misunderstood what you asked… I tought I should ask the devs. about implementing something like a skin/dye inspection. Silly me…

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

If it only shows dyes and skins then fine. But not stats.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I think you could just ask. It’s an MMO, don’t be afraid of human interaction! People who spend a lot of time to make their character look appealing probably wouldn’t hate the flattery of someone asking about their looks.

Also stop being so afraid of this Pugboogyman, the Puggyman. Seriously people are kitten near convinced you cannot run dungeons without full zerkers because of some invisible force that prohibits them and scares them.
In reality it’s a few people who insist on “perfection” or just to get carried because they themselves suck, but the majority of people are really not to concerned.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

For cosmetic inspections…

Creating unique styles is a part of the endgame and the specifics should be left up to the individual. If you want to know something, either ask or try to figure out. I’m also guessing that ArenaNet would rather have you look through the available skins than to quietly inspect someone.

For stat inspections…

GW2 is meant to be casual friendly and adding an inspection feature would be rather unlikely. If you’re a veteran player however, you should easily be able to tell if your group isn’t performing to your standards. Furthermore, with GW2 seemingly moving away from dungeon content and heading towards guild content, there’s simply no need for it – if you can’t trust your guild members, you have bigger problems.

For comparison, SPvP is meant to be competitive and features inspection.

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

Extra features are always welcome, but tbh i am fairly neutral about it. This so-called elitism is overblown. If ppl join groups without reading the description and get kicked, what did they expect?
Most groups don’t even have requirements and if you get kicked, then what? Just join another group or start your own. I honestly don’t see what the big deal is.
Let those who want to inspect stats do their thing and you do yours, inspect the skin.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Skin and dye inspection is ok, but stat inspection will cause grouping up for organized content to go downhill the moment it gets implemented.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

No thanks to an inspect feature. “MMOs Best Community” doesn’t need to get better at being the best.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’ll add my voice to those saying ‘no’ to stat inspection. There is too much room for abuse there. Even though the initial intention may be good, there will be those that abuse it.

I am ok with allowing people to inspect what skin I am using, or what dyes I am using on it. But nothing that tells the viewer what rarity it is, or what stats is has on it. We have the ability to ping our gear if people absolutely have no know, and that should be sufficient.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

To those saying no stat inspection… did you even read the OP past the first sentence? Nowhere did it mention that at all.

I’m pretty sure OP is asking for a way to look at someone else’s toon like you can your own, in the preview window, and see all the skins and dyes they have equipped.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

OP, it’s perfectly normal when you like another’s player outfit to want to know how to get it. But why creepily inspect the guy? Do how you would do in real life, and ask him/her! GW2 is a social game with a great community, so communicate!

edit: Sorry, Terrahero already posted something similar.

(edited by Sorel.4870)

Posted by: Regh.8649

Regh.8649

I think you could just ask. It’s an MMO, don’t be afraid of human interaction! People who spend a lot of time to make their character look appealing probably wouldn’t hate the flattery of someone asking about their looks.

Fully agree with this.

When I see someone with an awesome armor/dye mix… I pm the player, letting him know that I found his looks amazing and ask him/her what they’r wearing in case I cant identify.
Everyone likes this interaction! If the player is not afk he will certainly say “thank you” and will link the equipent if you just ask, even tell you the dyes he/she’s using!
Sometimes I just congratulate ppl!

Don´t you love when you receive a pm saying: “Nice armor mix mate!! can you link it please?” ?

That said, I dont quite agree with such system, ppl are still to attatched to common MMO options, the absence of direct trade already shortens the casual interactions.

If this ever gets implemented I’ll not make a drama out of it, but will not support.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

As long as they add an opt out feature to block players from inspecting you, I don’t care if they add inspection or not. Alternatively, as long as the inspection is limited to the skins and not the stats. I understand that some people like my armor/weapon/dye schemes. I like to look good

But I’ll be frank, as usual: it is none of your godkitten business what my equipment stats are. If you are curious about my build, ask me and I will tell you all about it, but you get no freebie peeks at my equipment stats.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!