Is HoT a 100% product?

Is HoT a 100% product?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: vier.1327

vier.1327

I do not know, i have the feelling that the expansion was not ready.
Maybe it is just me, but:
Just one pvp map, ok we have the leagues…
The WvW disaster, and thats it…
The personal story is too short, and full of “We will explain you later”…
The masterys are useless in WvW…
The Raid was not avaliable at the begging…
No new Fractals…
Even gliding in all Tyria was after HoT…
Just three legendary weapons…
Ok, yes, the first day of Hot was great, no lag, no crashes, amazing.
I know Guild Wars 2 is a game that always is expanding, and i am love it, but i feel like i was cheated when i bougth the expansion.
I do not want a refound, i want to feel like the game is great again.
Or maybe, it is just me…
Sorry bad english, i am from spain.

Mejor músico de Bahia de Baruch.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I think the scope was bigger than what they could achieve ie – they wantd to do more, but were limited by time and resources. The story is probably the best example aside of the legendary weapon fiasco. They wanted something that was a short, burst. But, that makes no sense for an expansion story. It was just over so quickly. If this was a deliberate choice, then perhaps it was timeframes that narrowed down that scope to such limitations. Expectations for a long and strong story for expac 2 will be high now to rectify this.

New fractals weren’t advertised. Raids we knew would be delayed and that was to allow people to settle into the main content. That was a sensible decision imo.

Gliding in Tyria made more sense as a feature post-HoT and was part reactive to the popularity of it anyway.

WvW…I think they just got it wrong there. I don’t think time or readiness was the issue. It just went wrong and was misjudged badly.

I don’t feel cheated – I have thoroughly enjoyed the expac. I don’t dismiss the issues at hand many have discussed mind you and lessons will have to have been learned for the next one.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

You forget to mention the new maps… love them or not, you have to admit they are some of the most interesting map designs in any game. I won’t be surprised if a good deal of dev resources went into those.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

You can tell right off the bat VB was worked on a lot and had a great balance to it. The personal story in VB was also more intricate and nicely paced.

In AB, the map’s simpler. Personal story is still great.

In TD, 2 huge story instances and the map mechanisms is similar to AB, just layed out differently.

In DS, 1 huge story instance. Easy map to understand/get (also my favorite of the 4 because of its simplicity).

So yes, you can see that the devs were putting less and less effort into making HoT maps because of time constraints. It would be great if they can slow down on the next expansion, but we’ll see.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You forget to mention the new maps… love them or not, you have to admit they are some of the most interesting map designs in any game. I won’t be surprised if a good deal of dev resources went into those.

I agree. Whilst TD especially is a ball-ache of a map, in many ways its very intricacies also make it an interesting map for exploring and was probably very time consuming from a design perspective.

Sure, we needed less metas and more exploring and other roaming rewards and DS was probably the biggest disappointment as a “map” (for me), but you’re right…love them or hate them, hard work went into those.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Tipper.6973

Tipper.6973

The game clearly was unfinished in many areas, but they were under pressure to get an expansion released. I guess it was finished “enough.”

Story line and missions were clearly UNFINISHED. What was the point of going to Rata Novus? That whole story arc felt rushed. And why was the personal story so short?

Open world lore was clearly UNFINISHED. Where was the clash with the Sylvari? Where was the Nightmare Court? Where’s Malyck’s Tree? How about some interesting history or dialogue from The Exalted? Some lore about The Forgotten would have been nice, too. Or the whole “What a powerful place!” quote from the freakin’ BALTHAZAR TEMPLE Hero Point… seriously? That’s all they could come up with?

The Revenant class was clearly UNFINISHED. Just go try underwater combat and tell me if that feels polished. Or try playing as a Ventari healer – LMAO!

Gear and items were clearly UNFINISHED. We got what, two new armor skins? Gee, thanks. How about those legendaries we were promised? The first three weren’t even ready at release, and we STILL don’t have any other ones yet.

WvW, not even going to touch that one. I could go on, but I won’t The game clearly wasn’t done.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Anet were clearly under a lot of pressure to deliver. Everyone had been asking for an expansion for years, and they finally promised it for 2015. Most of 2015 was a write-off content-wise with the expansion being the only thing of substance. Plus they had to release before the most anticipated game of the year, Fallout 4, otherwise interest would just be sucked away.

Would it be better if Anet held off and gave it more? Who knows. It sucks that commercial interests won out, but it is a balance and there are worse things that could happen to an expansion/sequel (Duke Nukem Forever, anyone?)

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

i don’t even know why anet tries to compete, what made them so big with gw1 was their uniqueness. It’s as if they went after 2nd place in rome and gave up 1st place in a village that was growing. i know they are capable of taking pve and pvp to a level no one else would even dream of.

Otherwise i’m not upset at how they delivered the game as far as feeling incomplete. you really have to consider the overhead and salaries to run this game with a staff and hardware….nothing wrong with trying to make a living. say gw2 was a monthly fee, at 1 expac a year is $4.66 a month. anet keeps adding to the game, so it’s not like you bought it like pft and thats it. I think what we are not happy with is the directions of changes “that every other game we don’t want to play anymore” are going.

anet are some insanely talented developers, they need to go back to being what they started to be, themselves, with a passion for an upgrade :p

it’s so easy to lose your own identity when you try to compete, i know this one from experience. I’ve learned, it’s best to do what no one else in this world can do, be you with a passion! :p

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually I don’t believe HoT was ever supposed to be a 100% product any more than Guild Wars 2 was at launch.

Do you think Guild Wars 2 launched with everything it was supposed to launch with. Hell the trading post didn’t work at launch. The guesting feature, supposed to be in the game didn’t work at launch or for months after.

Fractals didn’t come in at launch or ascended gear, but anyone who thinks they made and tested Fractals in 3 months or so is fooling themselves. That was stuff they were working on before launch that didn’t make it into launch. It was already likely almost finished and being tested on launch day.

Hell, even Arah story mode dungeon felt like they simple ran out of time for it. But a lot of really cool stuff came later.

This expansion feels a lot like the first expansion. It needs a boatload of tweaks, but stuff is starting to come. The raids that came shortly after launch, has now had a second raid wing, and my guess is in another two months or so they’ll have the third.

After that Living Story Season 3 comes in and I have pretty high expectations from it, because I like the method of telling stories I saw in HoT more than I liked the way the story was told in Season 2.

And a lot of this expansion was rewriting the way the game works. Masteries and elite specializations took time to create, but they’re in the game now and Anet won’t have to create them again.

Yes, I think this expansion wasn’t 100%, just as I felt the core game wasn’t 100%.

I’m not sure I care, because I’ve always felt like I was buying a season pass, as well as an expansion.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I think a big part of the expansion was because they wanted to get down systems that were perfect rather than get down content that was perfect, which makes their jobs much much easier down the line. In particular, stuff like Adventure coding is something that I think is one of the features that people think is really small because in the gamespace it is, but it probably took a lot of back-end work to make happen.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: LoL NooBs.5076

LoL NooBs.5076

Expectations for a long and strong story for expac 2 will be high now to rectify this.

New fractals weren’t advertised. Raids we knew would be delayed and that was to allow people to settle into the main content. That was a sensible decision imo.

Gliding in Tyria made more sense as a feature post-HoT and was part reactive to the popularity of it anyway.

Nice jokes! Do you know the one about the norn who walked out of a bar? ^^

According to my immature name I seem not a big loss for the community.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Anet were clearly under a lot of pressure to deliver. Everyone had been asking for an expansion for years, and they finally promised it for 2015. Most of 2015 was a write-off content-wise with the expansion being the only thing of substance. Plus they had to release before the most anticipated game of the year, Fallout 4, otherwise interest would just be sucked away.

Would it be better if Anet held off and gave it more? Who knows. It sucks that commercial interests won out, but it is a balance and there are worse things that could happen to an expansion/sequel (Duke Nukem Forever, anyone?)

I can see this because they were also trying to keep up with their outrageous idea of content every 2 weeks (it was TOO short of a time frame. 1-2 months wouldve been better, to at least break from the usual 3mo).

And yeah, a lot of stuff I was looking forward to HoT, I’m still waiting for (fractals backpiece, the other legendaries, etc)

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

No, they advertised HoT as no traditional expansion, but something that is the base for further development in the game.

So yeah. They stated it will not be a finished product. You buy the first level of a six story building here basicaly.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

All signs point to the expansion being rushed out the door early. A telling point is that Anet are no longer published by NCsoft. They’re still an owned subsidiary, but the responsibilities and general tasks of publishing the game now fall under Anet’s control.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Well I play gw 2 for the story really, I came from gw 1 hoping for a continuation. The content is enjoyable but if one of the big reasons gw stood out as a great mmo is no longer the case well….

All I am saying is just because HoT is a stepping stone does not mean they should give us something this small. Seems like Gw 2 just had their first dlc you could say yet some of us paid more for this than we did the original and this has miles less content.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well HoT was mainly an upgrade of the basic layout of the game so that the dev may have more freedom when they create new content. I expect them to use fully these new layers in the futur.

- specialization system : This is were elite spec will be born. I guess we can still hope for a proper balance to the core spec.

- Mastery system : A huge layer that allow the player to grow in a different way than getting level. I really like this feeling of adapting oneself to the environment.

- Multilayered map : This allow more depth to the maps.

- A new class : well I hope it’s the last because this one still need a lot of balance.

As to the PvE/PvP/WvW content… Well, I think all of them suffer of some design issue that could be seen as a missed first try.

- Open PvE : There is absolutely nothing that really make you want to play on these map. The event completion are way to much time consuming and the reward chests need to be standardized.

- Raid PvE : Depend on personal DPS. Honestly it’s sad that the game always only revolve around the optimized dps stat and not around a bunch of outside mechanisms to kill a boss.

- PvP : While HoT only introduced a map, we can’t deny that a lot of effort are done in order to throw more players in PvP. Sadely most players want their favourite easy map which reduce a lot the variety of map played. (I often wonder why they even bother to create new map since player stick to the same maps)

- WvW : I have to admit that the new map is beautiful but… players wanted diversity not all maps replaced by a new one. Beside, lags plague this new map. Not to mention the fact that their will never be any balance in WvW population (but that’s an issue that take root in the player mentality so we can’t really blame Anet for that)

Everything has been set up for the futur. Was it worth the price? Let’s say that it still hurt from the point of view of a veteran. What I expect for this incoming futur? first that he is not to far and then that he is a bit bigger than what we’ve got with HoT which is a little rough on the edge.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Artorius.6178

Artorius.6178

I dunno, the campaign didn’t feel short, but then, after every 2 or 3 chapters I had to spend two or three hours mastery grinding, so that may have made it feel like a longer story then it actually is.

Luciana Aventius – Ranger – Gandara

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Its like the second cd of xenogears

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

Why don’t people get it about Guildwars 2? Guildwars 2 is never ever finished and never will be. Guildwars 2 is unlike any MMO ever made it has similarities to all MMO’s, but that’s where it stops.

Guildwars 2 is continuously being added to or taken from depending on what is going to happen in the future. Mistakes (Bugs) will happen in the game no matter if its so called finished or not. If you only look at the basics on HoT then yes compared to other games HoT is small, but look at it in a new light. Even though WvW was not well received they tried to make it more interesting with a new type of gameplay in WvW. Add that to the four areas now that makes it a bit bigger. Each guild hall is a map in itself add that too making it bigger again. Now each Raid wing is another map each one came with HoT the other came a bit later add those also. Pvp got stronghold which added the ability to Guild vs Guild add that to it also. GW2 gave us Masteries even though you have to work at it some, it gave us a way to progress without needing to get a higher level add that too. Elite specializations gave us kind of a duel profession design for each profession add that too.

Now the Masteries and Elite specializations have the ability to be built upon later in the future. A couple of good reasons for the game never to be Finished as some people think it should.

Older MMO’s when the expansion was created that was it you did not have people adding too the game after that. What they did was started working on the next expansion, and of course be there for bugs and such.

Anet is constantly trying new ideas whether or not it will be successful is up to the players and the ability for Anet to make what they do fun. Anet makes games that are fun, but the player has to make it fun for them. They give us the tools and a lot of things to do some can be boring some not. If you do the same thing every day and love it great if it bores you then do something new you have not tried yet.

If you do not like change even between expansions then GW2 is not for you. If you expect the game to be finished after an expansion is completed this game is not for you. If you expect changes in the game at any time this game is perfect for you.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: vier.1327

vier.1327

So, my conclusion after read your posts.

Hot is not an expansion, just a bigger Living World patch that gives us a few things, like elite spec, or four maps.

Hot is four months old, and yes, pve players have their raids, but the rest of the comunnity is waiting for their part.

Maybe i am a bit disappoint with HoT, i am a WvW player, and i feel like the price is not worth it. At least today.

Mejor músico de Bahia de Baruch.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Tesyang.7218

Tesyang.7218

No, it is not.

And I will not be buying any future expansions after this.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

“The personal story is too short and full of we will explain [it to] you later”

ROFL

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

No new Fractals…
I know Guild Wars 2 is a game that always is expanding, and i am love it, but i feel like i was cheated when i bougth the expansion.
Or maybe, it is just me…

I’m still trying to figure out how things work in this game, but it’s becoming clear that ANet has a penchant for thinking BIG, but their resources are somewhat limited.

Take the HoT maps, for instance. I know they have their faults, but the complexity of the map designs are incredible! I can only imagine how much work must have gone into developing each one.

Today I learned a little more about the legendary items, and those seem to be the same way. At first I thought they were just fancy skins with the best stats available, but when I heard about the work that goes into designing the story and the journey to acquire these items, I immediately thought of the quality and depth of the HoT maps.

I really hope they can continue to produce that level of quality, but it seems as if they may be overreaching given their available resources. It’s a shame because things like these legendary items and the HoT maps are a huge draw to me – and I’m sure I’m not the only one!

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No new Fractals…
Or maybe, it is just me…

I’m still trying to figure out how things work in this game, but it’s becoming clear that ANet has a penchant for thinking BIG, but their resources are somewhat limited.

Take the HoT maps, for instance. I know they have their faults, but the complexity of the map designs are incredible! I can only imagine how much work must have gone into developing each one.

Today I learned a little more about the legendary items, and those seem to be the same way. At first I thought they were just fancy skins with the best stats available, but when I heard about the work that goes into designing the story and the journey to acquire these items, I immediately thought of the quality and depth of the HoT maps.

I really hope they can continue to produce that level of quality, but it seems as if they may be overreaching given their available resources. It’s a shame because things like these legendary items and the HoT maps are a huge draw to me – and I’m sure I’m not the only one!

More likely HoT wasn’t well received and they’re working overtime to fix and and until that fix is in and adjusted, they just don’t have the man power. I’m absolutely sure they expected HOT to get a better reception.

Once it didn’t and the fixing started, everything had to get pushed back.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Colin left the company, that is how much HoT was a 100% product.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

it isnt end /thread

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Barzhal.2640

Barzhal.2640

No it doesn’t feel like a finished product. Unless you only consider the number of collection achievements added by which to judge a completed product. And, you know, they have an “anti-grind” philosophy…

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

HoT was never planned to be shipped as one big lot. It is to be supposed to come in several batches. To evaluate whether HoT is a 100% product or not you have to wait until the evening before expansion 2.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

HoT was never planned to be shipped as one big lot. It is to be supposed to come in several batches. To evaluate whether HoT is a 100% product or not you have to wait until the evening before expansion 2.

The problem with that is, that they don’t ship the parts that have been suppost to come in those batches…

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Except that the (non-existant) big wvw overhaul has been cancelled for good.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

No.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Did they cancel it? I remeber about a month ago where they talked about it in one of their little we shows.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

More like a 50% product

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

Did they cancel it? I remeber about a month ago where they talked about it in one of their little we shows.

They talk about a lot of things, see fractal leader-boards and legendary back.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Zetsumei.4975

Yeah its cancelled, and they put a new carrot at the end of the stick saying they cancelled it to push smaller updates focused on core issues.. but they have nothing to put out right now despite developing this so-called overhaul for a year now. As expected, it never existed in the first place.

Ruins of Surmia

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Ascii Red.4029

Ascii Red.4029

150% price, 50% product – that 200% total so awesome value! (heavy sarcasm)

The focus is raids now, which reminds me of why I quit WoW (elitest jerk qq about how noobs ruin raids, seen exactly the same **** in gw2 GC this last week, great here we go again).

GW2 may well die, you know im actualy pretty fine with that as I feel I have put in enough money and time already given what I havent got out of it.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yeah its cancelled, and they put a new carrot at the end of the stick saying they cancelled it to push smaller updates focused on core issues.. but they have nothing to put out right now despite developing this so-called overhaul for a year now. As expected, it never existed in the first place.

I am sorry but I missed this announcement. Do you perhaps have a link please?

Is HoT a 100% product?

Zetsumei.4975

http://dulfy.net/2016/03/05/gw2-reddit-developer-ama-summary/

Wvw section, bullet point 5.

Ruins of Surmia

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

http://dulfy.net/2016/03/05/gw2-reddit-developer-ama-summary/

Wvw section, bullet point 5.

Thank you.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: lewnatic.3279

lewnatic.3279

I dunno, as someone who was always excited for Guild Wars’ living updates, I actually was sold on the idea that we would be getting more content updates relevant to the expansion, i.e. raids and legendaries spread out over time. I did not expect it to ship with everything, and as long as they didn’t try to sneak extra cost into it I wasn’t going to have a problem with that.

I was disappointed with the fact that they didn’t handle the story by time gates, actually. As someone who tried to take their time with the story content, I still felt like it was far too rushed. Granted, I’m saying this with a certain degree of naiivete, assuming that an episodic schedule similar to Living World would give them more time to lengthen the story.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

IMO, no, it’s not. We’ve never gotten everything that was promised, so the content is not 100%. And I don’t believe we’ll ever get everything that was promised. Not any longer.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

It was a cash grab. Mike O’ Brien defends the amount of content we got for it too,which is sad and scary. Four maps with a bunch of grindy achievements and gear and a story that takes about 4 hours to do.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Which will ship out in smaller pieces sooner now rather than make players wait until whenever for it to be released as a whole.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Zetsumei.4975

Which will ship out in smaller pieces sooner now rather than make players wait until whenever for it to be released as a whole.

You clearly havent been here long enough. “We will focus on wvw’s core issues like population imbalance” – that was said 3 years ago. Dont speak on this subject if youve only been in wvw (and the forums) for a few months, youre making yourself out to look incredibly naive.

Ruins of Surmia

Is HoT a 100% product?

Ayrilana.1396

You clearly havent been here long enough. “We will focus on wvw’s core issues like population imbalance” – that was said 3 years ago. Dont speak on this subject if youve only been in wvw (and the forums) for a few months, youre making yourself out to look incredibly naive.

Provide a source.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Zetsumei.4975

Provide a source.

There are 752 pages worth of evidence over in the wvw subforum. Have fun.

Ruins of Surmia

Is HoT a 100% product?

Ayrilana.1396

Provide a source.

Well that’s convenient. Since you refuse to provide a source, I’ll assume you made it up for the time being.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Zetsumei.4975

Provide a source.

Well that’s convenient. Since you refuse to provide a source, I’ll assume you made it up for the time being.

Im saying we’ve been told that every other week for the past 3 years, but the fact that this is new to you shows me youre speaking on the subject completely from the outside. Keep your head neatly tucked in the sand.

Ruins of Surmia

Is HoT a 100% product?

Ayrilana.1396

Provide a source.

Im saying we’ve been told that every other week for the past 3 years, but the fact that this is new to you shows me youre speaking on the subject completely from the outside. Keep your head neatly tucked in the sand.

We haven’t been told this every other week.

Is HoT a 100% product?

Zetsumei.4975

Provide a source.

We haven’t been told this every other week.

Not going to waste my time on a blind whiteknight who has three year’s worth of catching up to do.

Ruins of Surmia