Is a group required for player progression?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: redmetal.7216

redmetal.7216

So there has been alot of issues and arguments regarding HoT, some I shrug at, and some I completely agree with. If Anet wants us to grind HP for our new specs, fine. If they want to lock those HP behind masteries, irritating, but acceptable. However, since when was it ok to make a group event and call it a “hero challenge?” To elaborate: There is a hero challenge east of Faren’s Flyer WP up on this wrecked airship where you will find something called “Itzles belongings.” Ok, just fight a few hylek and be on my way, right. No. I was unpleasantly surprised when a champ and 2 Shadowleapers popped out and destroyed me. I asked for help on map chat, and no one even responded. I can’t really blame them since it’s pretty out of the way of the events in VB. So why then make it unsolo-able? You go out of your way to find this HP to progress YOUR char. only to find the hero challenge undoable, and unduo-able. Maybe i’ll get flak for this post, but in my honest opinion, champs and group-related events shouldn’t ever, EVER be part of character progression like HP’s or otherwise. I can only imagine how many more hero challenges are like this one.

Posted by: flocc.3612

flocc.3612

At least 80% of Hot’s Hero Challenges are either unsoloable or gated behind tedious mastery grind.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

At least 80% of Hot’s Hero Challenges are either unsoloable or gated behind tedious mastery grind.

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I think that event difficulty scaling is abit off.

ANet has to fix that, hopefully never nerf the mobs (unless it’s needed due to making it unplayable)

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

I think that event difficulty scaling is abit off.

ANet has to fix that, hopefully never nerf the mobs (unless it’s needed due to making it unplayable)

IT’S NOT EVENT SCALING. Hero challenges are the same every time.

Some idiot developer thought that putting a champion+2 on a really out of the way hero point was a good idea.

I’m okay with getting hero points to unlock the elite specialization but requiring 4-5 people (most of them have timers) to complete a hero challenge is ridiculous. Especially when it requires careful gliding/jumping to even get to the point in question (you’ll be lucky if you can find one person there).

Some of them are okay… but most of them are deliberately made insanely difficult to stop us unlocking the specialization.

Posted by: Laniya.9520

Laniya.9520

I agree, this is pretty ridiculous. I know they are worth 10 each, but you can’t do them alone at all. A lot of people were at the event in LA also. Then there are ones with poison all around them. I can see that learning a language for special things you want, but not for hp that you absolutely need. I so enjoyed playing the beta on the characters….now my characters are powerless until they get all those HP. I feel a bit like we were dealt a low blow on that one. I would rather have to do more of them then make them impossible with out help. The challenge is fun if you have others, but many places i found, no one was around at all.

BTW…i saw calls for help on map chat. I would have gladly come help…but there is a sad lack of WP to get around there. And if there is one close, its contested. So thats why help doesn’t come. I know its the first day, but you still have to be able to get around the maps.

(edited by Laniya.9520)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

What makes it even worse is that Hero Challenges are no normal events and give
no reward if you do them a second time .. so no motivation for other players to
help if they already have that one.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: redmetal.7216

redmetal.7216

Yeah, I hadn’t even considered that part. This is probably the only thing Anet would NEED to fix simply because the hero challenges are broken, because as you said, if a group has already done it, they won’t help you. It wouldn’t even be so bad if these challenges were easily accessible, but they are off in some dank, out of the way corner somewhere. Easy to access, but hard to achieve or easy to achieve, but hard to access would have been the correct answer.